Start by marking “The Geography of Pluto” as Want to Read:
The Geography of Pluto

The Geography of Pluto

Twenty-eight-year-old Will, a teacher living in Montreal's gay village, has spent the last few months recovering from a breakup with his first serious boyfriend, Max. He has resumed his search for companionship, but has he truly moved on? Will's mother Katherine - one of the few people, perhaps the only one, who loves him unconditionally - is also in recovery, from a bout ...more
Published March 1st 2014 by Cormorant Books

To ask other readers questions about The Geography of Pluto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Geography of Pluto

Catherine McKenzie
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a charming debut.
Angélique (MapleBooks)
Some books are able to put you in the shoes of their protagonist, however different this character might ever feel from you. They make you see the world from their eyes, experience life from their point of view, and ultimately show you that we all share the same few fundamental needs. The Geography of Pluto is one of these books. With this novel I spent a day and a half – that’s how fast I devoured it – beside Will Ambrose, a gay man reaching his 30’s, the partygoer I won’t ever be, and shared w ...more
Alex Handyside
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book.
It's been a long time since a book made me cry. This did so in spades.
Probably the best book I've read in the past two years.

To say it's book about love is to do the author a disservice. And love too - for you think you know all about all aspects of love. But this shows love off at its best, boldest and widest.
It's about parental love (by & for), and about the love for & by partners - partners past, present and future. It also touches on love within friendship -
Jerry
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This well-written and well-structured debut novel is ultimately about five kinds of love: love of family, romantic love, love of friends, love of place, and (ultimately) self-love / self-respect.

The likeable yet far-from-perfect narrator, Will Ambrose, is a gay geography teacher in Montreal facing two relationship challenges: the need to get over his ex-boyfriend (Max), and the desire to take his relationship with his single mother deeper beyond 'surface' matters. As the novel moves back and fo
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy of this book as part of the Goodreads first-reads giveaway.

The Geography of Pluto is the story of a young man named Will who is a geography teacher living in Montreal. He is really struggling to get over the breakup of his relationship with his boyfriend Max. He makes half-hearted attempts at moving on, but can he? Will's mother is also facing struggles of her own. She is a cancer survivor, but the cancer looms like a dark cloud over them, always threatening to come back.

This story
Esil
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was very happy to win this small press book from Goodreads. I doubt that I would have had a chance to read it otherwise. This was a very sweet book. The main character and his life experiences were depicted without romance, with all the rawness and naiveté of someone that age trying to make sense of life . His relationship with his mother was especially compelling. And it doesn't hurt that the setting is Montreal in the 1990s (I think).
Daniel Baylis
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my methods of evaluating any given book (or film) is whether or not I feel compelled to cheer for a character. In this case, I felt myself rooting for Will, a 28-year-old Montreal-based teacher dealing with the complexities of love and life. The story was graceful and humorous, gritty and tender. In fact, reading the book didn’t even feel like reading at all — it felt like hanging out with an old friend.
Ivy Courtney
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story that is heartwarming and simply amazing. The story itself is not complicated but it never feels boring or drags, it flows smoothly and feels authentic to real life. An excellent read and a wonderful first novel. Looking forward to any other novels written by the author.
Cora Sire
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novel resonated on many levels. It is both an homage to my home city of Montreal and a deep exploration of character, the search for connection and love in a complex world. Brilliant!
Don
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very well written novel about a 28 year old gay man dealing with love and loss both in his romantic life and family life. I loved his relationship with mother and best friend. He's a flawed human being trying to make sense of the world. It's what many of us do at age 28 and throughout life. Excellent story.
John
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a pleasure. I appreciate books that respect setting as much as character. I like to feel as though I've been taken to a new place as well to visit new people. The Geography of Pluto definitely does just that. That's geography, after all: people and place. Thoughtful and heartfelt, there's a strong current of irony that adds richness to the story as well. Will is a character I think we can all see ourselves in; his path is one we've all traveled in one form or another - that his story offers ...more
Serge
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This compact novel about being a gay man in Montreal in the recent past won me over completely. The protagonist is very much flawed, but a good person at heart, and his life and adventures were not only interesting, but also brutally honest.
Stéphanie Amesse
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Ray Hiltz
May 28, 2014
Lilian
Aug 06, 2014
Shannon Tien
rated it did not like it
Jul 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Shuck
  • The Youth & Young Loves of Oliver Wade: Stories
  • Griffintown
  • Blackbird (Little Sister's Classics)
  • The Prince and the Program (The Mordred Saga, #1)
  • Light
  • Something Like Stories: Volume One (Something Like, #7)
  • The Race for Second
  • Remembrance of Things I Forgot
  • The Story of French
  • The Unreal Life of Sergey Nabokov
  • How Long Has This Been Going On?
  • Into?
  • London Triptych
  • Peek-a-Boo (Josh of the Damned, #2)
  • Listening To Dust
  • My Body Is Yours: A Memoir
  • Jack Holmes and His Friend
Christopher DiRaddo has published four short stories in anthologies by Arsenal Pulp Press, including the Lambda Literary Award-winning First Person Queer. The Geography of Pluto is his first novel.