Start by marking “My Unscripted Life” as Want to Read:
My Unscripted Life

My Unscripted Life

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  1,225 Ratings  ·  181 Reviews
Sometimes love stories go off script.

Another sultry Georgia summer is about to get a lot hotter. Dee Wilkie is still licking her wounds after getting rejected by the precollege fine arts program of her dreams. But if she'd gone away, she wouldn't have been around to say yes to an unbelievable opportunity: working on the set of a movie filming in her small Southern town tha
Published October 11th 2016 by Delacorte

Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

I received this E-ARC via Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I was pretty excited to read this! Unfortunately it was too dramatic for my taste.

Still recommend.
Stacee
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I'm struggling with what to rate this. It might be 2.5 stars. It was cute, but very overdramatic.

Review to come.
Debby

I think I've surrendered myself to the fact that I will never not be attracted to a celebrity romance premise. It's turning out to be kind of a curse, because for the life of me, it seems like I just can't find one that's good. Indeed, even My Unscripted Life, written by an author I have loved before, fell short.

This story follows Dee, a high school student who fills up her summer by working as a PA on set of a movie after she got rejected from a precollege fine arts project. There, she
Natalia
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
This was a light and overall entertaining book, nothing serious though.
The story follows Dee, she got rejected by an art school, she is stuck in a small town without having anything to do. Then it turns out that in her small town a movie is being shot and Dee starts working no the set. There she meets Milo, an actor and musician.
The overall plot was a bit too slow and also basically nothing happened. Expect the relationship between Milo and Dee there isn't any other story line.
Milo and Dee's re
Celeste_pewter
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sometimes, you just want a cute book. This is that book.

Jessica
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This is my third book from Lauren Morrill and she sure knows how to deliver an adorable YA romance that just leaves you feeling good when you close the pages. I was so excited when I saw this was about a girl working on a movie set during a summer that she had thought was going to be utterly miserable, but instead ended up being a summer she would never forget.

Dee Wilkie still can't believe she was rejected from a fine arts program she was dreaming of. Feeling inadequate and uninspired, Dee has
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
My Unscripted Life is all about movie making and more of the backstage action. It is set in a cozy small-town, which I really enjoyed. The main character is an artist and is persistent. I would definitely recommend this to those looking for a quick and fluffy read.

My Unscripted Life is, you guessed it, a book about acting and movie making. In this story, a small-town girl meets her childhood celebrity crush when he comes to town for his new movie. I found there to be many clichés in the book, wh
rachel
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beta-read
I read an early early draft of this and I bet you this book is even more fantastic than what I read. Laugh out loud funny, romantic and sweet - Lauren Morrill's MY UNSCRIPTED LIFE is one to put on your want list!
Carmen
Dec 29, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: dying-to-read
Is it just me or does this kind of sound like This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith?
Kristin
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars...

I can appreciate a deep, meaningful read but sometimes, I love a good no-brainer romance that'll put a smile on my face as I'm reading the last sentence.  Anytime you read a synopsis that contains the words "teen star" and "small town girl", you can pretty much guarantee a light, fun story.  If you look too hard for plot twists or unique storylines, you might get a brain cramp.  Just let go and smile...

And I definitely did smile at the end of My Unscripted Life.  Spending one Sunday
nick
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was ok

Though I don’t read them often anymore, I always enjoy a cute and fluffy YA contemporary romance read. I have enjoyed most of Lauren Morrill’s books which is why I didn’t hesitate to pick up My Unscripted Life. However, this turned out to be my least favorite book by the author. I do think part of that is because I don’t always do well with famous people romances, but I was still willing to give it a shot since I like this author’s writing. The character development here was really weak. Neither
Melanie
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: yabrc, august-br, where, august
My Unscripted Life was an okay read. I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two books I've read by this author. I think that was partly due to the romance --I just didn't care about either character or their relationship. The writing style was good and I did like the whole movie aspect. All in all, I liked the book.
Deniz
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

DAMN. I really really need that halfstar today! Because this is firmly between good and great.
Now I don't know if I should round up or down...
Aaany WAY.

My Unscripted Life is a perfect example for what I like to call a cute & fluffy. Well written novel with a cute romance, preferably some swooning and a hottie, but mostly very entertaining light hearted reading. Basically just get on and enjoy the ride. Don't think too much. It's kinda like a booky happy place.
I got all that from M
Sophie Marsden
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own, kindle, arc, 2016, fluff
Actual Rating:★★★.5 out of 5

"I may not have a best friend, and my future may still be in question, but I may have just solved the summer-plans problem."

Summary:

This was a cute book about a girl named Dee who gets to be a personal assistant on the set of a movie. She's thrilled when she's offered the job because her best friend is leaving for the summer and she got rejected from her dream art program. She finds out that her middle-school celebrity crush, Milo Ritter. Milo is a famous teenage po
Brandy Painter
I haven't liked any of Morrill's books as much as I liked her debut, Meant to Be, but this one comes the closest to recapturing the feel of that book. It is fun, fluffy, and romantic. There is a good bit of a wish fulfillment fantasy type story. That is not a criticism of the book itself, but that is not my favorite type of romance. I'm sure it will have a lot of appeal for teens, so many of them have this exact fantasy. Not about the same sort of celebrity as every teen is different, but genera ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

A cute story of girl finding love and herself again after experiencing a crisis of purpose.

•Pro: Super-cute summer romance

•Pro: I really liked getting to know the "real" Milo, and I was glad he found someplace where he could be real.

•Pro: Lots of interesting movie making concepts were shared with us, and I really felt like I was on the set with the characters.

•Con: Jealousy and miscommunication play a role in this story, and I thought Dee needed to tone it down at time.

•Pro:
Jamie
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh at best. This was not for me. I am not a big contemporary romance reader at the best of times so that is part of it. I found Dee boring and immature. Milo started as a typical cookie cutter hollywood jerk. He does grow a bit on me. But sadly I could not get into this couple nor anyone else in the book. They story did nothing for me either. I like the small town feel, what little I got from this. The story is all too predictable and was not moving at all for me.
Kaitie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This was cute, and I always love the whole "famous guy seems like an ass but actually isn't and falls in love with regular girl" trope. The characters were cute and I enjoyed the underlying message of enjoying the spontaneity of life. I really loved how much more I learned about the film making industry (hopefully it was accurate)!
Lauren
THIS WAS SO CRINGY AND WAS A RANDOM READ BUT I SOMEWHAT ENJOYED IT!?

Picking this up was literally so random and I just wanted a little break from life to read a cliche book and so I did. I actually enjoyed this despite it being overdramatic and cringy. I wouldn't say it's a good book but I liked it.
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a cute and short book. I can't say that Milo or Dee were amazing people. Then again most famous people aren't. However, I liked them enough to want to see how things went with them.
Suze Lavender
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dee was counting on doing a fine arts program during her summer, but the college rejected her. Her best friend did get into the program of her choice and won't be around. Dee has to find another way to make her summer interesting. She finds out a movie is being shot in her hometown and is being asked to work on the set. Her job is to be the assistant of an assistant. Dee doesn't care what she has to do, it's fantastic that she can be there, because her idol Milo Ritter, a famous pop star, will b ...more
Jessica
Dec 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Flat, boring, so predictable and not very realistic. This didn't work for me at all.
Margie's Must Reads
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I can totally relate!! I am wishin' and hopin' and waitin' for this to happen to me and Henry Cavill or Robert Pattinson....whichever comes first! :)
Megan
This is the kind of easy-to-read book that is perfect for a day at the pool or beach reading. The romance was cute, though a little too speedy in some aspects. The ending was predictable, but that's usually to be expected in a romance.
Renae
Apr 30, 2017 rated it liked it
decently quick read and it was okay in the romance department. plot was pretty interesting but the book itself was average and the characters were average as well.
Jessica (BookObsessedJess)
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher.

OK. I am a true, and now official, sucker for contemporary romances. GIVE ME ALL THE FLUFF!

This book follows Dee, whose dreams have been thwarted in that her application to the Governor's School for art has been denied. She then gets a PA gig for the filming of a movie that comes to town. It also just so happens to star Milo Ritter, who is referred to mostly in this book by his whole name...just in case we forget his Milo Ritter-ness. I equate h
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
My Unscripted Life was a fluffy and fun read. I blew through this book in one sitting! However, I definitely thought those book was a tad overdramatic and unrealistic.

The main character, Dee, was a passionate and responsible girl. I admired that a lot about her, but I felt like she was a bit delusional and dramatic when it came to her romance with Milo. Dee seemed to think her and Milo were dating instantly, which made me want to roll my eyes. I just wish Dee would have taken a step back and s
Madelyn
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
*3.5
Super adorable! Cheesy, but I love cheesy books so I thought it was fun! I liked both of the characters, especially Milo, all really quick and a delight!
No problems with this story... just that the characters didn’t stay with me but overall really cute and recommend if you want to read a book and finish it in a day!
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I read this book at the right time, and that made all the difference in my enjoyment of the novel. This is the first book in ages that I finished in just a few hours, and I'm amazed that I still can do that, actually. This one is a short, light and not-so-fluffy read, but it provided the break that I so badly needed from the heavy and/or fantasy books that I have been reading in the past few weeks. Sometimes it's nice to just sit back and read a YA romance novel, even tho
Grace

A light read. It was pretty vanilla.

I’ve read all of Lauren Morrill’s work thus far and have always found some latent Shakespearean theme that I have come to both appreciate and enjoy analyzing. (See my review of The Trouble with Destiny for more detail.) One of the great things about her works is that while the story lines are straightforward and her writing is clean and easy, their cleverness resides in her consistency in refashioning themes of Shakespearean comedies. Unfortunately, t
  • Diplomatic Immunity
  • Going Geek
  • Smash & Grab
  • The Odds of Lightning
  • Unscripted Joss Byrd
  • Black Bird of the Gallows (Black Birds of the Gallows, #1)
  • Enter Title Here
  • Coming Up for Air
  • For This Life Only
  • Here Lies Daniel Tate
  • Lifel1k3 (Lifelike, #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
Lauren Elizabeth Morrill is many things, including, but not limited to, a writer, an educator, a badass roller derby skater, a former band nerd, an aggressive driver, and a die-hard Mac person. She also watches a lot of TV, eats a lot of junk food, and drinks a lot of Coke. It's a wonder her brain and teeth haven't rotted out of her head.

Lauren is the author of Meant to Be, Being Sloane Jacobs, Th