Start by marking “My Unscripted Life” as Want to Read:
My Unscripted Life

My Unscripted Life

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  1,121 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
Sometimes love stories go off script.

Another sultry Georgia summer is about to get a lot hotter. Dee Wilkie is still licking her wounds after getting rejected by the precollege fine arts program of her dreams. But if she'd gone away, she wouldn't have been around to say yes to an unbelievable opportunity: working on the set of a movie filming in her small Southern town tha
Published October 11th 2016 by Delacorte

Stacee
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I'm struggling with what to rate this. It might be 2.5 stars. It was cute, but very overdramatic.

Review to come.
Debby

I think I've surrendered myself to the fact that I will never not be attracted to a celebrity romance premise. It's turning out to be kind of a curse, because for the life of me, it seems like I just can't find one that's good. Indeed, even My Unscripted Life, written by an author I have loved before, fell short.

This story follows Dee, a high school student who fills up her summer by working as a PA on set of a movie after she got rejected from a precollege fine arts project. There, she
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

I received this E-ARC via Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I was pretty excited to read this! Unfortunately it was too dramatic for my taste.

Still recommend.
Celeste_pewter
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sometimes, you just want a cute book. This is that book.

Jessica
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This is my third book from Lauren Morrill and she sure knows how to deliver an adorable YA romance that just leaves you feeling good when you close the pages. I was so excited when I saw this was about a girl working on a movie set during a summer that she had thought was going to be utterly miserable, but instead ended up being a summer she would never forget.

Dee Wilkie still can't believe she was rejected from a fine arts program she was dreaming of. Feeling inadequate and uninspired, Dee has
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
My Unscripted Life is all about movie making and more of the backstage action. It is set in a cozy small-town, which I really enjoyed. The main character is an artist and is persistent. I would definitely recommend this to those looking for a quick and fluffy read.

My Unscripted Life is, you guessed it, a book about acting and movie making. In this story, a small-town girl meets her childhood celebrity crush when he comes to town for his new movie. I found there to be many clichés in the book, wh
rachel 007
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beta-read
I read an early early draft of this and I bet you this book is even more fantastic than what I read. Laugh out loud funny, romantic and sweet - Lauren Morrill's MY UNSCRIPTED LIFE is one to put on your want list!
Carmen
Dec 29, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: dying-to-read
Is it just me or does this kind of sound like This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith?
Kristin
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars...

I can appreciate a deep, meaningful read but sometimes, I love a good no-brainer romance that'll put a smile on my face as I'm reading the last sentence.  Anytime you read a synopsis that contains the words "teen star" and "small town girl", you can pretty much guarantee a light, fun story.  If you look too hard for plot twists or unique storylines, you might get a brain cramp.  Just let go and smile...

And I definitely did smile at the end of My Unscripted Life.  Spending one Sunday
nick

Though I don’t read them often anymore, I always enjoy a cute and fluffy YA contemporary romance read. I have enjoyed most of Lauren Morrill’s books which is why I didn’t hesitate to pick up My Unscripted Life. However, this turned out to be my least favorite book by the author. I do think part of that is because I don’t always do well with famous people romances, but I was still willing to give it a shot since I like this author’s writing. The character development here was really weak. Neither
Deniz
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

DAMN. I really really need that halfstar today! Because this is firmly between good and great.
Now I don't know if I should round up or down...
Aaany WAY.

My Unscripted Life is a perfect example for what I like to call a cute & fluffy. Well written novel with a cute romance, preferably some swooning and a hottie, but mostly very entertaining light hearted reading. Basically just get on and enjoy the ride. Don't think too much. It's kinda like a booky happy place.
I got all that from M
Sophie Marsden
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own, kindle, arc, 2016, fluff
Actual Rating:★★★.5 out of 5

"I may not have a best friend, and my future may still be in question, but I may have just solved the summer-plans problem."

Summary:

This was a cute book about a girl named Dee who gets to be a personal assistant on the set of a movie. She's thrilled when she's offered the job because her best friend is leaving for the summer and she got rejected from her dream art program. She finds out that her middle-school celebrity crush, Milo Ritter. Milo is a famous teenage po
Brandy Painter
I haven't liked any of Morrill's books as much as I liked her debut, Meant to Be, but this one comes the closest to recapturing the feel of that book. It is fun, fluffy, and romantic. There is a good bit of a wish fulfillment fantasy type story. That is not a criticism of the book itself, but that is not my favorite type of romance. I'm sure it will have a lot of appeal for teens, so many of them have this exact fantasy. Not about the same sort of celebrity as every teen is different, but genera ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

A cute story of girl finding love and herself again after experiencing a crisis of purpose.

•Pro: Super-cute summer romance

•Pro: I really liked getting to know the "real" Milo, and I was glad he found someplace where he could be real.

•Pro: Lots of interesting movie making concepts were shared with us, and I really felt like I was on the set with the characters.

•Con: Jealousy and miscommunication play a role in this story, and I thought Dee needed to tone it down at time.

•Pro:
Kaitie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This was cute, and I always love the whole "famous guy seems like an ass but actually isn't and falls in love with regular girl" trope. The characters were cute and I enjoyed the underlying message of enjoying the spontaneity of life. I really loved how much more I learned about the film making industry (hopefully it was accurate)!
Lauren
THIS WAS SO CRINGY AND WAS A RANDOM READ BUT I SOMEWHAT ENJOYED IT!?

Picking this up was literally so random and I just wanted a little break from life to read a cliche book and so I did. I actually enjoyed this despite it being overdramatic and cringy. I wouldn't say it's a good book but I liked it.
Suze Lavender
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dee was counting on doing a fine arts program during her summer, but the college rejected her. Her best friend did get into the program of her choice and won't be around. Dee has to find another way to make her summer interesting. She finds out a movie is being shot in her hometown and is being asked to work on the set. Her job is to be the assistant of an assistant. Dee doesn't care what she has to do, it's fantastic that she can be there, because her idol Milo Ritter, a famous pop star, will b ...more
Margie's Must Reads
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I can totally relate!! I am wishin' and hopin' and waitin' for this to happen to me and Henry Cavill or Robert Pattinson....whichever comes first! :)
Renae
Apr 30, 2017 rated it liked it
decently quick read and it was okay in the romance department. plot was pretty interesting but the book itself was average and the characters were average as well.
Jessica (Book_Obsessed_Jess)
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher.

OK. I am a true, and now official, sucker for contemporary romances. GIVE ME ALL THE FLUFF!

This book follows Dee, whose dreams have been thwarted in that her application to the Governor's School for art has been denied. She then gets a PA gig for the filming of a movie that comes to town. It also just so happens to star Milo Ritter, who is referred to mostly in this book by his whole name...just in case we forget his Milo Ritter-ness. I equate h
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
My Unscripted Life was a fluffy and fun read. I blew through this book in one sitting! However, I definitely thought those book was a tad overdramatic and unrealistic.

The main character, Dee, was a passionate and responsible girl. I admired that a lot about her, but I felt like she was a bit delusional and dramatic when it came to her romance with Milo. Dee seemed to think her and Milo were dating instantly, which made me want to roll my eyes. I just wish Dee would have taken a step back and s
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I read this book at the right time, and that made all the difference in my enjoyment of the novel. This is the first book in ages that I finished in just a few hours, and I'm amazed that I still can do that, actually. This one is a short, light and not-so-fluffy read, but it provided the break that I so badly needed from the heavy and/or fantasy books that I have been reading in the past few weeks. Sometimes it's nice to just sit back and read a YA romance novel, even tho
Grace

A light read. It was pretty vanilla.

I’ve read all of Lauren Morrill’s work thus far and have always found some latent Shakespearean theme that I have come to both appreciate and enjoy analyzing. (See my review of The Trouble with Destiny for more detail.) One of the great things about her works is that while the story lines are straightforward and her writing is clean and easy, their cleverness resides in her consistency in refashioning themes of Shakespearean comedies. Unfortunately, t
Rebecca
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable! I got close to 85% done with the book and knew that I wanted more than was allotted to me. This book was such fun and a fantastic love letter to the South! Nothing about this book felt stereotypical while depicting the surroundings or the "background" people.

I'm sad I've finished reading it.
Jessica
Dec 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Flat, boring, so predictable and not very realistic. This didn't work for me at all.
Cristina (My Tiny Obsessions)
Read full review HERE

description

Guys, I’ve had this book on my Netgalley TBR for ages, but for some reason, I decided to finally start it a few days ago, and it was an easy and enjoyable read. If you have been following me for awhile, you know that a 3 stars rating is not that great for me, but I actually did enjoy this book, it’s just that I thought it had some major issues, especially in terms of plot and characters.

I really liked the writing, it was fun and light, and I loved that the story was told in
Sami
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-arcs, read-ebook
RATING - 2.5 STARS

I received this eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

First, before I say anything else, let it be known that I read this book in under 24 hours and that is an amazing accomplishment in itself. Let it also be known that while I am only giving this book 2.5? 3? stars it's not because it's a bad book. I actually quite enjoyed this book overall, but I did have some problems.

Look, I'm pretty good as suspending reality when reading contemporaries that involve celebert
Jill Hart
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet YA story about a small town girl and a pop star-turned actor. Dee and Milo meet on the set of the new movie he's filming in her town. Dee has just been turned down for a summer art class and Milo is reeling from a big break up. When they become friends, they both begin to see life with fresh eyes.

Lots of laughs, great dialogue, and wonderfully flawed characters make this one of my favorite Lauren Morrill stories yet.
Miranda
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Every once in a while you just need a dumb, light-hearted, dramatic, and cute, romantic contemporary to soften the blow of all the dark, emotional stories. This is one of those books.
Olivia Ard
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I was excited to receive a copy of My Unscripted Life as I had enjoyed one of the author's previous novels, The Trouble with Destiny. I found My Unscripted Life the superior book by far. Dee is an interesting, believable character with normal teenage desires, concerns, and fears. I loved following her journey as she discovered who she was, even as she experienced a real-life fairytale by befriending a cute, famous celebrity. I hope there's a sequel!

I received a complimentary copy from Delacorte
  • Diplomatic Immunity
  • Enter Title Here
  • Coming Up for Air
  • For This Life Only
  • Here Lies Daniel Tate
  • LIFEL1K3 (Lifelike, #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
Lauren Elizabeth Morrill is many things, including, but not limited to, a writer, an educator, a badass roller derby skater, a former band nerd, an aggressive driver, and a die-hard Mac person. She also watches a lot of TV, eats a lot of junk food, and drinks a lot of Coke. It's a wonder her brain and teeth haven't rotted out of her head.

Lauren is the author of Meant to Be, Being Sloane Jacobs, Th
More about Lauren Morrill

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99