Start by marking “Wanted - Dead or In Love” as Want to Read:
Wanted - Dead or In Love

Wanted - Dead or In Love

Impulsive high school senior Monroe Baker is on probation for a recent crime, but strives to stay out of trouble by working as a flapper at her father's Roaring 20's dinner show theater. When she cuts herself on one of the spent bullets from her father's gangster memorabilia collection, she unwittingly awakens Bonnie Parker's spirit, who begins speaking to Monroe from insi ...more
Published June 30th 2014 by Simon Pulse (first published June 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Wanted - Dead or In Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wanted - Dead or In Love

YA Novels of 2014
1,545 books — 9,148 voters
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeAlienated by Melissa LandersStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Murder Complex by Lindsay CummingsSnow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
YA Debuts 2014
369 books — 1,479 voters

More lists with this book...

Kym Brunner
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Of course I think it's five stars. ;) Hope you might like it too.
Anna
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ya fans, paranormal fans, crime afficianados
Recommended to Anna by: Kym Brunner
Talk about trouble spiralling out of control ...

Monroe is an impetuous teenager who seems to have lost her way after the death of her mother a couple of years before. She has been getting into trouble ever since, and at the beginning of this story, she is on probation for an act of vandalism.
Her family has a shared passion for gangster lore, which they indulge in by watching movies and collecting memorabilia. Her father owns a supper club that has Jazz Age entertainment and has the
AH
Initial Thoughts: About a 3 - 3.5 star read for me. This really is a weird one for me to review - part of me disliked the book, the other part of me loved 1 character. Here goes: Monroe's father collects Bonnie and Clyde memorabilia for his restaurant. When Monroe nicks her finger on a bloodstained bullet, something strange happens. She hears Bonnie's voice inside her head and Bonnie wants to stick around. Later that evening Monroe attends a party and he experiences something similar, only this time it's ...more
Cheryl
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really was excited to read this book. I like reading about gangsters. Besides who is not familiar with the story of Bonnie and Clyde. So when I read about the concept of this book kind of having a paranormal theme to it and Bonnie and Clyde coming back from the dead I was like "That is cool". It was cool except for the fact that I found Monroe and Jack to be kind of dull. The first part third of the book I was reading all of the chapters but than after a while I was sort of skimming over the p ...more
Cherie Colyer
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this fresh take on Bonnie and Clyde. The story is told in alternating point of views, allowing the reader to get to know Monroe, Jack, Bonnie and Clyde. While most of the book is told by two of the characters, Brunner does a great job creating four unique voices and an intriguing plot that kept me guessing what will happen next. Wanted: Dead or in Love is a fun, fast-paced thriller with great characters and the right amount of tension to keep me turning the page.
zapkode
{My Thoughts} – Bonnie and Clyde back from the beyond, who would have thought that it was possible? I have to say that books never seize to amaze me in their ability to pull me in and take me on a fun roller coaster ride into a fictional environment.

Monroe is this sweet sort of anti-social girl that works for her dad at his dinner theater called the Clip Joint. This place sounds amazing in the book. I’d love to work their myself. It is described as having lots of old gangster paraphe
Veronica of V's Reads
This contemporary YA romance is tension-packed. Monroe is a troubled high school senior. Her mother died just over a year ago and she's having issues with impulsive behavior. She's got two strikes--one for shoplifting and one for vandalism--any more run-in's and she'll break probation and go to jail. Oh, and she can kiss her scholarship to NYU Buh-Bye.

Though she knows better, Monroe can't resist touching the newest piece of memorabilia her father has collected for his Gangster Galler
Dayla
Review first appeared on my blog: Book Addict 24-7

I received a copy via Merit Press in exchange for an honest review

Merit Press very kindly sent this my way and I’m so grateful! My best and immediate advice to you is to avoid reading the synopsis of Kym Brunner’s novel, Wanted: Dead Or In Love immediately before reading the book. Why? Because you’re going to want to go into this one blind, trust me, it makes it SO much better!

I absolutely adored Brunner’s novel because of how unassu/>I
Harlee
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ohhh myyy goodness! This book was great! I could hardly put it down, and the last 30 or so pages made it even worse! I really had no idea how this would all play out! That ending!? I gasped! Also, there's a song I heard a week or two ago, Partners In Crime by Set It Off, and it is totally a theme song for Bonnie and Clyde. It's awesome, and I can't stop thinking of it!
My favorite things about this book was the historical aspect. Bonnie and Clyde are such well known historical figures, but
Alexandra
Aug 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Actual rating 3.5

For my full review on my blog: http://sleepsontables.blogspot.co.at/...

When I received this book in the mail the first thing I was excited about was the premise. I mean c'mon! I doubt you can say that you've read a book about a girl who touches some old bullets from Bonnie & Clyde's bodies and gets possessed with their spirit. I've never read a book with a premise like this one. The idea is entirely fresh and new and I really hope to see more 'possession' reads in the future.

The story star
Megs
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect going into Wanted: Dead or in Love, but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It was a good adventure and I really liked the paranormal aspects.

This one was told using dual POV, alternating between Monroe, a modern teen, and the legendary Clyde Barrow. I usually am not a huge fan of dual POV, but this time it really worked! I appreciated the noticeable differences in their voices and enjoyed the past vs. present differences.

I didn't know much ab
Emily
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
totally unpredictable. Amazing writing skills.
Autumn
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, paranormal, for-review
I love the idea of this book Bonnie and Clyde together again. I couldnt help but be fasinated with the two. I like many others totally tuned into the new Bonnie and Clyde movie just last year as my 6 year old would say it was epic. When I received this book courtsey of the publisher Merit Press, I think I MAY have jumped for joy.. I may have unless my kids got footage of that then dang yeah it happened.

I really like Monroe sure she has her issues and did I think her legal trouble was
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
The premise for "Wanted: Dead or in Love" is fascinating. Monroe, a teen, who is at risk of developing a rap sheet for herself becomes inhabited by the spirit of Bonnie Parker, as in the Bonnie from Bonnie & Clyde. Her new friend, Jack, becomes inhabited by Clyde. Neither one of them are sure of what is happening to them but they realize early on that they need to put a stop to it before they get in more trouble. This is a highly imaginative young adult read that will have you flipping the p ...more
Shelly Hammond
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is probably one of the most unique books I've read in quite some time. The storyline is unlike others and the narrative is creative and entertaining.

The author has a terrific way of writing in the first person with three different characters. With a chapter change, often there is a character narrative change and each character is written with their very own completely unique speech pattern, life outlook, and perspective on what's to come and what is occurring. Bring Bonnie and C
Sharon
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Since the death of her mother, Monroe has made a series of bad decisions. She is now on probation because of her reckless actions. One more slip will land her in jail. Unfortunately, her next slip is a real doozy. She opens a sealed case and touches one of the spent slugs that killed Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker. When Monroe cuts her finger on the sharp edge of a slug, she creates a connection to the outlaw couple. This novel has such a unique style and idea. I had a hard time putting it down. ...more
Lisa Mcbroom
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Monroe (named for Marilyn Monroe) is a rebellious teenager obseessed with Bonnie and Clyde. One day her father brings her bullets that were supossedly used to kille Bonnie parker and Clyde Barrow and a poem that Bonnie parker wrote before she died. Whne Monroe touches these items, she hears a strange Texan voice inside her head. That night at a a party she becomes friends with Jack Daniel hale. When he touches the bullets, he becomes posessed by Clyde Barrow as Monroe does by Bonnie Parker. Can ...more
Emma
Mar 15, 2014 marked it as dnf
I was highly anticipating Wanted; Dead Or In Love, particularly since I had a review request directly from the author, but it honestly wasn't for me. I knew about the paranormal aspects but decided to give it a chance anyway. However, I found the different characters' voices bothersome whenever they narrated and I'm very much over stereotypical teen partying and crude humor (looking at you, Clyde) in YA fiction. Hopefully others like this book better!
Tolly
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I freaking love Monroe. A main character that is gritty and makes bad choices. . . This book was different. It felt a bit stilted at first, but then it got going. All the Bonnie and Clyde information was great. A couple stumbling blocks, but altogether, a reallly fun and different read, and it left us hanging. . . More Clyde, yes please!

Carol
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am the world's slowest reader and had a slow start getting to know the characters, but can honestly say I truly enjoyed Monroe and the nearer I got to the end, I found myself turning the pages faster and faster. Clever concept, good pace, great ending.
Kim Baccellia
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
YA Books Central review: http://www.yabookscentral.com/yaficti...
Crystal
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book extremely until I read the final chapters. I though that the book was dragged on and suggested a sequel and, to my knowledge, one was never written. I would love to read the second book but if that is where the story ends my opinion stands.
Audrey Wilkerson
The Low Down: High School grad Monroe works at her dad’s gangster-inspired restaurant/dinner theater. She is biding her time, trying to stay out of trouble so she can have a clean slate and head off to NYU in the fall. When her father returns from an auction with more gangster paraphernalia to be displayed in the restaurant, something in particular catches Monroe’s eye. Her personal favorite bad guys are Bonnie and Clyde, and her father has scored not only a couple of the slugs from the scene of ...more
Paula Ratcliffe
Drucilla
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: b
Great concept, interesting characters, lame ending. I loved the set up for this story and Brunner does a great job of creating realistic/historically accurate characters, but that ending, tho. (view spoiler) reeks of a cliched horror movie ending (horror meaning the type of genre ending. I don't mean scary stuff). We don't even get an epilogue for Monroe and Jack. I did like how (view spoiler) ...more
Jen (Feffer)
Jun 23, 2014 marked it as dnf
This one just wasn't for me. The subject caught my interest--Bonnie and Clyde's spirits inhabiting the minds/bodies of a couple of teenagers and getting up to mayhem--and I liked Monroe, but the pacing was just off, for me. The reveal the "how" of it all was way too fast, IMO, and it all kind of happened before I cared enough about the characters. It's also a little more crass than I prefer.... So, yeah. Just not for me.
Kristy
Feb 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Extremely disappointing book! The main characters are very unlivable and never grow as people. They actually become less developed and mature as the story progresses. And the ghosts are so very two dimensional. Clyde in particular can't think past his need for the ladies. It's just sex on the brain the whole time and gets very repetitive and dull. The end is limp and predictable.
Mandy
Jun 21, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5/5.

The story was a little rushed at first and there was a little too much "telling" rather than "showing," but the book found its footing near the end, which resulted in a pretty good experience overall.

Check out my review here.
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Mandy C.
Cover Story: Don’t Cry, Big Face
BFF Charm: Yay
Swoonworthy Scale: 7
Talky Talk: Multiple Personalities
Bonus Factors: Bad Boy, History Lesson
Relationship Status: Partners in Crime

Read the full book report here.
Em
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
CREEPY AND COOL! Loved it - kept me in suspense the whole book. Thought it was cool how Bonnie & Clyde were "inside" their heads. Kept me guessing.

• Louder Than Words
  • The Namesake
  • Screaming Divas
  • Exposure (Twisted Lit #2)
  • Jex Malone
  • inDIVISIBLE
  • The After Girls
  • Piece of My Heart
  • Who Is Mackie Spence?
  • Matt Archer: Monster Hunter (Matt Archer #1)
  • Unaccompanied Minor (April Mae Manning #1)
  • True Colors (The Masks, #1)
  • Challenging Destiny
  • Descent of Blood (The Red Veil Series Book 1)
Kym Brunner dreams entire novels in her head, but needs about a year to write it all down. She wishes there was an app for this. She's addicted to chai tea, going to the movies, and reality TV. She lives in the Chicago area with her family and two dogs. Keep in touch by following her on Facebook (Author Kym Brunner), Twitter (@KymBrunner), or at her website, http://www.kymbrunner.com.