Start by marking “King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)” as Want to Read:
King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)

King of the Murgos

(The Malloreon #2)

In this second book of The Malloreon, Garion and Ce'nedra continue the quest begun in Guardians of the West. In their party travel the immortal Belgarath the Sorcerer, his daughter Polgara the Sorceress, and the little Drasnian, Silk.

Garion knows that it is the mysterious figure Zandramas who is responsible for the abduction of his infant son, and he and his co
Published April 21st 1989 by Corgi (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about King of the Murgos, please sign up.
Mark Adkins This series needs to be read in order. It is also recommended that you also read the Belgariad series prior to reading this series, as that series…moreThis series needs to be read in order. It is also recommended that you also read the Belgariad series prior to reading this series, as that series first introduces the characters and world.(less)

Start your review of King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
Nov 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
"I like nice, simple situations and nice, easy solutions," said Belgarath.

"Good and Evil?" Durnik suggested.

"That's a difficult one, Durnik. I prefer 'them and us.' That clears away all the excess baggage and allows you to get right down to cases."

I want a bracelet that says "What Would Belgarath Do?"
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
Yet again I profess my love for all things Belgariad and Mallorean.

And yet again I'm struck by the unfairness(?)/casual Misogyny(?) in this beloved series.

One of the big personal issues that pop up in this book is Silk's parents. Silk's mom was "the most beautiful woman of her generation" until a pestilence came through the town. She was struck blind and horribly disfigured by the sickness...but they act like her fucking brain was eaten instead.

Silk drinks himself into i
Sotiris Karaiskos
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-fantasy, fantasy
In the second part, our story follows the traditional plot development of high fantasy books by leading to the classic journey of our heroes to a destination where everything will be decided. In the case of this series there is also the extra element of the exploration of the unknown places of the imaginary world where we still know only one part. In this journey, our heroes meet many adventures and many interesting people, giving the writer the chance to make the story more exciting and add eve ...more
Narilka
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
King of the Murgos is the second book in The Malloreon by David Eddings. The quest is under way! The Prophecy has clearly given everyone their instructions. (view spoiler) Guided by the Orb, the party heads south first through the swamps of Nyssa and then on into the lands of the Murgos. The trip is q ...more
Lel
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
As much as I love this series overall I felt that in this book not much really happened. The company seem to be just travelling throughout their world in search of Gerion but not getting any closer or much actually happening in the book. There is a few action scenes in the book that make it interesting but I just can't help but feel it was a bit of a time gap filling book.
That being said the characters more than make up for it. I love the budding relationship between Silk and Velvet, hes so clu
Amanda
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nostalgia made this a four star read. It should probably be three star. I love this series so hard from childhood that it becomes very difficult to read it objectively. There are many niggles. This was when I started giving some scenes the side eye - some of the relationships between the men and the women, the power plays and the idea that they were so different from each other. Polgara started to piss me right off, with her holier than thou attitude, and I don't that ever went away again.
Jonel
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action, adventure, magic, and danger all make their way into this unforgettable addition to Eddings’ series. Phenomenal descriptions and world building combine throughout as I was drawn fully into the plot that wouldn’t let go.

I love the way that this cast of characters grows and changes throughout. Ce’Nedra’s less whiney attitude made her easier to swallow here, yet she does still seem quite childish for a queen. Eddings makes the change in personality easy to understand based on ci
Hannah
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, fantasy
Laugh-out-loud funny and endearing new characters, like the King of the Murgos himself. Garion has become an increasingly strong ruler, determined and decisive, and the developments in him and the rest of the cast adds to the enjoyment of the book. Don't let anyone tell you that the first series is better; this one is just as good, if not better! More action and excitement and faster pacing, Eddings keeps his readers turning the pages as fast as possible to find out the next part.
Joanne
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.

In King of the Murgos by David Eddings, the second book in the Malloreon, Garion and his friends' quest to find find his abducted son - and the final meeting between the Child of Light and the Child or Dark, as foretold by the prophecies - finally begins. And, oooh, it's still just as exciting as it was the first time I read it!

In the first book, Guardians of the West, we learnt about Harakan, an underling of Urvon, a former disciple of Torak
Jenni
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This book was just as good as the first one. I'm really enjoying learning about the other cultures in Eddings' world. I especially like that the people of other cultures don't have to be evil just because the religious aspects of their culture are grotesque.
Gav451
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
The second in the Mallorean. This book took me longer than I expected to read it as I was reading this at home and then Matters on the train to and from work. They took it in turns to grab my attention and it turned into quite a disjointed way of reading books.

I still have the same quibbles about the second series that I did with the first book. The prophecy trope has worn thin, another end of everything event has arrived and once more we are heading towards it. Relying upon fate, es
Matt Braymiller
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-reread
It is always interesting for me to read through the David Eddings novels I have and see how his focus shifted over the course of sixteen books encompassing the two pentalogies, the Belgariad, and Malloreon, and the Elenium and Tamuli trilogies.

The Belgariad series deals with Garion's coming of age story woven in with a dualist plot that sort of took a back seat to the main story, even though it *was* the main story. In this current series, Garion has come into his own and Eddings was
Mark Austin
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
With Lord of the Rings under my belt, I was hungry for more of this 'fantasy' thing I'd discovered. Enter the Belgariad. I consumed the two five-book series in a few months, getting in trouble in school for reading when I should have been paying attention (I either didn't care or had already done the homework for whatever it was they were teaching while they were teaching how to do it).

When complete, I read the whole series again in half the time. Then again in half that. The half-li
Tony Hisgett
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review, fantasy
I’m in the process of re-reading the Mallorean series after nearly thirty years and I realise that my tastes have changed over the intervening years.
This was an enjoyable read and I still find it refreshing to read an epic fantasy that concentrates on the story.

However, I think reading numerous more modern ‘Urban Fantasies’ has made me more enamoured of the decisive ‘kickass’ hero/heroine, who doesn’t put up with any nonsense.

Sometimes I didn’t understand what this group were
Brecht Denijs
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What makes an Eddings novel so great?
Is it his wonderfull fantasyland which we get to explore in great detail? His rich, detailed background history? His engaging story?
Possibly, but for me there is one thing that sticks out: his characters. These people are amazing and just can't get enough of them. The dialogues are amazing, with sarcasm dripping off the pages. I went from laughter to tears and back again. I LOVE this series. It proves that you do not need to switch to 63 different
 ☆Ruth☆
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
There are definitely more flaws in the plot - it's looser and not as well constructed as the Belgariad, but I don't care! I'm enjoying these stories far too much to be bothered about occasional illogical behaviour by the protagonists.
Frankly, I don't know how I'm going to cope when I finish the Malloreon, David Eddings epics have subtly infiltrated my life... a chapter or two with every meal, something to look forward to at the end of a humdrum workday and a few more pages before nodding o
Hope Reads
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember when I fist read this series, years and years ago, and how much I loved it them. I am glad that that has not changed.
There are some things I wish were done differently, the stereotypical gender roles for one. But this is a product of different time and you have to go with it. Once you get over this, it is a great series.
Mollie Clarke
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very different to the first one of the series. With a much faster pace this book has some excellent twists and turns in it. This book will make your ideas of certain people change in dramatic ways!
Joshua Thompson
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This had a far more compelling narrative than book 1, with some good new characters and revelations. Plus a great cliff-hanger ending.
Jenn
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good. Though, I will admit, it's my love of the characters as much as anything that contributes to my enjoyment of The Malloreon.
Got
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: david-eddings
After a bit of a stinker in book one it's back to a more classic Eddings adventure in book two. It was good and left a decent ending to transition to book three nicely.
Lina
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well written book. Enjoyed reading it.
Keziah
I forgot how much I enjoy the little reveals in this book.
Jonas
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well written book. Enjoyed reading it.
Frank
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 of the Malloreon.
Here Belgarion and his wife CeNedra search for their son Geran, ecounter Znadramas the kidnapper and they end up in the kingdom of Murgos, where they still worship the dead god Torak, and conduct human sacrifices.
This is a credible entry into the series.
Curious where they go next, will be continuing.
David Sarkies
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An unnecessary sequel
22 July 2012

It looks as if a few people have noted that this series is pretty much a re-hash of the earlier series, with the same people just different places and a different villain. Okay, the object that was stolen is also different, but other than that it seems that Eddings simply took the script that he used for the Belgariad, made some slight changes, and made it the Mallorean. I gather that here they must get to the 'Place that is No More' which is always int
Mark Oppenlander
I've continued reading this series, largely out of a sense of duty and a desire for completion, but I've frequently been underwhelmed by Eddings' work. The storytelling has often felt mundane and/or the world-building simply not as deep and rich as other epic fantasies of the same era (e.g. Tad Williams). Thus, King of the Murgos was a pleasant surprise. It is significantly more entertaining than the previous installment and it may be the best in the entire series to date (counting back to the The Belgariad, a ...more
Stacey
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Notes from a re-read after a decade away. Has it held up? Very much so, if you ignore Polgara's misandry. But occasionally Polgara's opinions of and treatment of men is really rather painful to read.
The quest begins in Tolnedra, with some things to be accomplished and people added. Then they move to Nyssa, where things are done & people added. Lastly they end up in Cthol Murgos, where more things are done and some things are revealed but no people are added.
Ce'Nedra is often trea
Dark-Draco
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the second book, Garion and assorted companions, set out on the trail of Zandramas, who has stolen his son. With weeks of head start, they aren't sure they will succeed, but when the Orb lends the hand and they start receiving instructions from the mysterious voice in Garion's head, they become determined to catch her. But fate steps in - the seer Cynadris, although seemingly on their side, seems to have her own agenda. The war in the East also hampers their efforts, as does the worsening we ...more
Amber
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Okay can you say Cliffhanger ending?

I like this series, it's decent. It's a fantasy series, it written very formulaic to the genre, yet I still find it entertaining enough.

Eriond's character is the first to really make me feel like I need to look up spoilers. Although I am highly interested in learning about the Seer and Toth. I was actually surprised they didn't get Geran back in this book. I'm starting to get the idea this may be the premise of the entire series. Questi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Kings of the Murgos [Jul 20, 2019] 13 29 Sep 21, 2019 09:02AM
The Nerd Herd: King of the Murgos 1 4 Feb 22, 2014 01:49PM

• A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
  • The King's Buccaneer (Krondor's Sons, #2)
  • Rage of a Demon King (The Serpentwar Saga, #3)
  • Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)
  • Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)
  • A Man Rides Through (Mordant's Need, #2)
  • Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • To Green Angel Tower (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3)
  • The Elf Queen of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #3)
  • The Seventh Gate (The Death Gate Cycle, #7)
  • Quest for Lost Heroes (The Drenai Saga, #4)
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
  • The Druid of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce, #3)
  • The Prophet of Akhran (Rose of the Prophet, #3)
  • The Talismans of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #4)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings , was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which h

The Malloreon (5 books)
  • Guardians of the West (The Malloreon, #1)
  • Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)
  • Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)
  • The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5)
“The old man was peering intently at the shelves. 'I'll have to admit that he's a very competent scholar.'
Isn't he just a librarian?' Garion asked, 'somebody who looks after books?'
That's where all the rest of scholarship starts, Garion. All the books in the world won't help you if they're just piled up in a heap.”
171 likes