Start by marking “Amber Flame (Highland Brides, #1)” as Want to Read:
Amber Flame (Highland Brides, #1)

Amber Flame

(Highland Brides #1)

All around the border, battle was a way of life as both Englishmen and Scots rode off across the moors to do as their fathers had done and their fathers before them. So when Storm Eldon was kidnapped by her families ancestral enemies, she knew there were rules to be honored by both sides. If her stepmother agreed to the ransom demanded, Storm would not be harmed by Tavis M ...more
Published February 1st 1988 by Leisure

Elis Madison
Ten-year-old Storm is taken hostage by her English family's enemies on the Scottish side of the border. The Macwhatevers are headed by Colin and his eldest son Tavis. Storm's a little hellion, but also a healer and she saves Colin's arm with her special salve before the ransom is paid. Tavis thinks she's kinda hot for a little kid. Give 'er six years or so, and he'll "visit" her again.

FF six years or so, and you got it, Tavis is skulking around the Eldon properties. He gets a point for saving S
Jen
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I FINALLY finished reading this one. It has been pretty much years!! LOL It had nothing to do with the story though...I adore Hannah Howell and everything she writes....When I had started this book (way back when) I had started getting into Fifty Shades and books like it....basically "Erotica!!" Of course, these Highlander books are far from that, and at the time I veered away from it. I do miss this genre though, and while I was reading another book that was frustrating me, I decided to finish ...more
Ezinwanyi
Tavis MacLagan (Scotsman) is the WEAKEST, most SPINELESS excuse for a hero I've ever read in an HR...possibly ever.
description
I wish Lord Hugo had gelded him physically because he really lacked balls emotionally, mentally and morally. He never fought for anything other than land. When it came to women, he just took whatever he wanted as long as he didn't have to put much effort in obtaining it.

(view spoiler)
Alba Turunen
3 Estrellas. Me gustaría decir que me ha gustado más, pero algo me ha impedido que llegara a las 4 estrellas, puede que sea la actitud de los personajes, o en general que es un libro que no hay que tomarse demasiado en serio, pues está hecho con el fin de entretener y divertir al lector.

La primera mitad ha sido muy movida y rápida de leer, y me estaba enganchando bastante, pero repito, es un libro que no hay que tomar demasiado en serio porque tiene demasiadas incoherencias, respecto a la época,
Amafle
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una de las mejores novelas de época que he leído.
Hannah logro conquistar mi alma de mujer apasionada por la lectura con su protagonista femenina Storm Pipere Eldon.
No quiero darles spoilers por que esa no es mi meta al hacer un comentario sobre el libro, lo que si quiero decirles es que yo disfrute mucho su lectura.
La manera en que Hannah entreteje la historia de dos familias que se odian y que terminaran unidas (muchos dirán que ese argumento ya esta demasiado gastado en la literatura, pero yo
Kalli
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
I actually started out really enjoying this book, despite the fact that Tavis is kind of a man-whore and his current mistress shows up constantly in the story. I'll tell you now, I really hate those kind of heroes, and the fact that I was willing to overlook it should say how much I was digging this book.

Of course, then the author had to go and get stupider than stupid. I think the whole last half of the book was pointless. Seriously? (view spoiler)
Maqluba
Mermarie
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
All I recall of this book, is the constant sexorz training by the hero, and the secondary hero trying to seduce the heroine, and she was all for it, but told him if he did it, it would be JUST sexual, that the hero had trained her body to respond to lovin'. XD
GuisBell
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bueno, romance
Me atrapo muchisimo la historia y todo iba muy bien hasta casi al final el protagonista como casi la mayoría de hombres es un reverendo idiota. Ame a la protagonista es todo lo que admiro en una mujer me encanta como la autora la creo se hacía respetar de una manera admirable...
Meg Kinch
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diana
Liv
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m constantly in search of a good Scottish novel, and this one piqued my interest because it sounded passionate and almost like a Romero/Juliet set up. Who doesn’t love a burgeoning romance between lovers from opposite sides? In this case, the English (Eldon’s) and the Scottish-Lowlanders (MacLagan’s) are generational enemies as their lands are close to the border. Although, I really enjoyed the romance, the rocky ride toward and HEA is not without its painful moments.

WHAT I REALLY LIKED ABOUT
Becky Hutchison
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been in a Highlander romance kick recently and stumbled on HIS BONNIE BRIDE (republished by Zebra Books, 2012) during an ebook sale over Thanksgiving. I was just looking for something light to read while I traveled in the car for 11 hours, and this ebook looked like the perfect escape.

Previously published in 1988 under the title AMBER FLAME, HIS BONNIE BRIDE is the first book in Hannah Howell's HIGHLAND BRIDES SERIES and for me a solid 4 star read. Set in the 14th century, it tells t
Marilyn Rondeau
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Storm Eldon was very young, she was captured by the MacLagans, sworn Scottish enemies of the English Eldon’s. Bright and precocious, Storm was also something of a healer and even though she was a prisoner, she couldn’t help herself but to take over the dressing of the Clan MacLagan’s chieftain. As ransoming was a common practice between the two feuding families, honor was first and foremost and both family’s felt honor bound to treat their captives well.

Ten years later Storm once again fin
Laura Beth
This historical novel has a fairly typical plot line with the exception that the characters have plenty of time to come to know each other and to fall in love. The plot was interesting and had enough villains to keep it moving forward. The only problem I had with it may have been partially an issue with the eBook version. The book tended to run together and I had trouble following it. This could be because the eBook did not have the double space breaks that a normal print book would have to let ...more
Heather
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly enjoyed

Storm Eldon was always wee spitfire, upon capture due to neglect of her stepmom while her father was in battle with the Scots she shows her witty and strong side to her captors seven heals the lairds arm . so his eldest soon decides in 7 years he will be seeing that mass again

Seven years later Ian sees that same spitfire giving her unwanted suitor a lash oif her tongue upon helping her he abducts her and decides he will use her but he refuses to admit his feelings for the lass as
Camie
May 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely hated this book! I thought Tavis MacLagen was a horrible hero, there was nothing good about him at all. Storm Eldon was a fabulous character, she was funny, feisty, strong and she totally didn't need that loser in her life who pretty much rapes her but the author keeps telling us that it's called making "love". I really enjoyed all of the secondary characters and am happy to see that some of them will be in the next two books in this series.
Victoria (nocturnalintimacy)
This is my first Hannah Howell read. My library is swamped with them, so I decided to give it a try. Alas, this will also be my last Hannah Howell read.

This historical romance was kind of like being beat in the head with a rock. Instead of allowing readers to define characters by their actions, the author states them outright, and none are unique or particularly witty. Ugh.
Grace
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars -- it was OK. There were moments I enjoyed in the book and then some parts that bothered me. I don't know if I can chalk it up to medieval thinking about men and women roles or just poor character development. Sometimes I felt like the women had a "Sh!t happens" attitude while the men were very entitled.

Avisha Beeharreea
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was meh, i don't why I did not like this book as much, most probably 'cause the H. I did not like him especially the last few chapters. He let the h go without a word,a fight, no spine. H not strong as h is. I gave four stars because of the first chapter, h was badass!! Didn't finish the book, i stopped till the birth ofthe twins thats it.
TJ
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up planning to enjoy a little "fluff". Instead I found it surprisingly complex and riveting. I ended up re-reading many parts trying to get to the center of the emotions, and ended up concluding the story was rich with feeling but it was too often portrayed as lust and too seldom love.
Shaune
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The way Tavis and Storm fought was hilarious and added spice. It's nice to see a very strong heroine in a Scottish romance. Storm is a capable, intelligent woman who knows her mind and makes sure everyone around her does as well!
Mum
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It went on and on. I didn’t like it which is unusual for me with this author.
Leah Green
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Storm's stepmother decided that witnessing a battle would be an entertainment. A family friendly entertainment. Like watching a jousting match. So she gathered up the children and some household staff to picnic on a hill. Close to the battle for their viewing pleasure. During a battle, between an English border lord, her husband and Storm's father, and a Highland Clan. Of course the battle went wild and they ended up being smack dab in the middle of the enemy. While everyone scattered. Storm cor ...more
Amber
Mar 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sid Yusma
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, blog-review

Can also be read on my blog

Title : His Bonnie Bride (Highland Brides #1)
Author : Hannah Howell
Demographic : Adult
Genre : Romance, Historical, Medieval

Howell takes us to the Medieval times in this Historical Romance, of war between England and Scotland.

Blurb from Goodreads :

Storm Eldon was first caught up in the war between England and Scotland as a young girl, when she and her family were held hostage by their sworn enemies, the MacLagans. Years later, Storm finds herself trapped in the clutches
Tracy T.
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good story. I enjoyed the spunky heroine, Storm. She was a strong, funny and an honest (she spoke her mind) character. The hero was hot and sexy. Before reading this book I had done some research to see if there was any sex in Hannah Howell books or if they were rated G books. I like my books to have some sex (not 50 shades of grey but at least some sex). Well if anyone is is wondering, YES there is sex in Hannah Howell books, and plenty of it. Its not graphic in detail but the ...more
Donna Nealey
David and Storm

I only have this a three star rating because the beginning was interesting but bogged down a bit in the middle and was VERY disappointed in the ending. It just stopped. Imagine my surprise when I turned the page and the book was over!? It didn't give me a where, why of the family. Sorry, don't know if I'll read book 2 of not.
Ale
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelf, 2017
2,75🌟
Necesitaba un libro rápido entre mi lectura de Tower of Dawn.
La verdad es que es muy rápido de leer y la historia no ha estado mal, el problema es el chico protagonista. Tavis, dios mio con este chico eh, yo no sé si el pobre es muy estúpido o se lo hace, pero por favor...que protagonista tan poco atrayente, me gustaban más sus hermanos.
  • Highland Hearts
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • Dream of Me (Viking & Saxon #1)
  • Highlander Unmasked (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #2)
  • At the Highlander's Mercy (The MacLerie Clan, #6)
  • Bliss
  • The MacLean Groom (Highland Lairds Trilogy, #1)
  • Bride of the Lion
  • A Warrior's Promise (The Warrior King, #3)
  • The Panther and the Pearl
  • Highland Fling (Highland, #1)
  • Lord of Desire (The Risande Family, #1)
  • A Highlander for the Holidays
  • True Highland Spirit (Highlander #3)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin

Highland Brides (3 books)
  • Highland Wedding (Highland Brides, #2)
  • Reckless  (Highland Brides, #3)