Start by marking “I Am Papa Snap and These Are My Favorite No Such Stories” as Want to Read:
I Am Papa Snap and These Are My Favorite No Such Stories

I Am Papa Snap and These Are My Favorite No Such Stories

Papa Snap relates a series of zany, fantastical tales about such colorful characters as Zink Slugg, Mr. and Mrs. Kaboodle, Bunny Buson Brittle, and the four Tremblance brothers--Fester, Fister, Faster, and Foster.
Published April 1st 1999 by Roberts Rinehart Publishers (first published January 28th 1973)

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Papa Snap and These Are My Favorite No Such Stories

Start your review of I Am Papa Snap and These Are My Favorite No Such Stories
Jul 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
If you want your kids to develop a good sense of the absurd, go buy them this book of very short, and very bizarre, stories. The first story goes, in its entirety, "Bunny Bunson Brittle goes fishing. He has no permit. Who cares? There are no fish." The prose isn't quite done justice without the illustrations, but you get the idea. I've had to replace this book a bunch of times over the years since I first read it in about 1973 or so, because people keep stealing it from me. And I don't have kids ...more
Dolly
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their young children
This book consists of fifteen silly stories, all except for the first and last of which are presented on a two-page spread with a short narrative.

Each story has quite a bit of alliteration, which would make reading them aloud quite fun. And the colorful and cartoonish illustrations with anthropomorphic animals are sure to appeal to younger children.

The stories and illustrations have a quirky nostalgic look and make me think of England during WWII.

My favorite of the bunch (I believe
alissa
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've been wondering FOR YEARS if this book existed or if I dreamed it up. I went to the Tomi Ungerer exhibit at the Marseille Library (one of them, anyway) and found out IT DOES EXIST! The couch that eats people!
Manny
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very funny absurdist short stories for people of age 4 upwards, accompanied by Ungerer's inimitable illustrations. My favorite was the man who buys his wife a steam-roller as a silver wedding anniversary present. (She uses it to do the ironing and make pizza; the picture is marvelous). I also liked the bad kid who goes to sea in a bathtub and sinks a battleship with his catapult, and the careless aviator, who bales out of his burning plane and then realizes he's left his parachute behind in the ...more
Stacey
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
One day Papa Snap heard of a very hungry sofa, owned by a Mr. Mulch. "What a wonderful No Such Story that would make!" he thought. That same night Papa Snap paid a visit to Mr. Mulch, and was never seen again. Someday I will have a band called Papa Snap. . . I love how irreverent this book is. I just read about Tomi Ungerer recently, so I didn't know much about his books. He was good friends with Maurice Sendak and Shel Silverstein. The three authors have a very distinct sense of humor, enough o ...more
Connie
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
So, this isn't really a collection of stories. Each story is very short - one or two pages - and not much happens. For example, there's one about a man who always runs to catch the train, but always misses it. The train runs five minutes faster than his clock at home. But that's all right, at least he never has to go to work.

And yet, it works. These are "stories" that wouldn't work in most situations, but they work here. Go figure.
Emma
Aug 19, 2014 marked it as to-read
How have I never heard of this guy before? These stories are going to be a bit much for our 2yo I think, but I can't wait to get to them. They're nuts, absolute crackers.
Jacqueline
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Silly dark poems/stories that are perfect for an older reader but not really for younger ones.
Jason Beyer
Nov 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I get the appeal of nonsense but this book just didn't do it for me.
Judith Eve

• Hensel and Gretel: Ninja Chicks
  • The Three Ninja Pigs
  • The Frog Prince, Continued
  • Squids Will be Squids: Fresh Morals, Beastly Fables
Jean-Thomas "Tomi" Ungerer was a French illustrator best known for his erotic and political illustrations as well as children's books.