Start by marking “From Where I Watch You” as Want to Read:
From Where I Watch You

From Where I Watch You

Sixteen-year-old Kara McKinley is about to realize her dream of becoming a professional baker. Beautifully designed and piped, her cookies are masterpieces, but also her ticket out of rainy Seattle—if she wins the upcoming national baking competition and its scholarship prize to culinary school in California. Kara can no longer stand the home where her family lived, laughe ...more
Published August 4th 2015 by Soho Teen

To ask other readers questions about From Where I Watch You, please sign up.
Banal Girl No! This book just gives a point of view of a young girl with only 16. Her and her mom's lifes are a mess and they both found a way to continue…moreNo! This book just gives a point of view of a young girl with only 16. Her and her mom's lifes are a mess and they both found a way to continue living. The only difference is that her mommy founds on God the way to survive that, in the point of view of Kara, is super strange and etc.(less)

Aditi
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
"There is a fine line between serendipity and stalking."

----David Coleman, an English sports commentator and TV presenter

Shannon Grogan, an American author, pens her debut YA thriller, From Where I Watch You, that unfolds a delicious story of about a young teenager with a passion for baking being stalked like crazy, that not only leaves her on a dangerous trail to find the identity of her stalker but also intrigues her to find out more about her dead elder sister's tragic death.

Synopsis:

Sixt
Tandie
YA mystery/suspense. Kara has a super dysfunctional family! Her older sister, Kellan, was probably mentally ill. She was a horrible bully and now everyone is even more messed up since her death. Kara receives notes from a stalker that get progressively disturbing. She tells no one and makes those kinds of decisions that the stupid girl in horror flicks makes. Forehead slap. Charlie was sweet and swoony, I hearted him at first read.

There were a lot of underdeveloped characters and loose threads.
Tonyalee
See this review and more on my blog, Lilybloombooks

My Take:
I have no shame in admitting that it was the cover of From Where I Watch You that caught my eye. Of course, my love for anything mystery/thriller/suspense related is was pushed to request and boy. I am so glad I did!

From Where I Watch You has many elements to the story. We have a stalker. Hallucinations. Romance. The death of her sister, moving and the new life style her mom has adopted. Ultimately, a girl dealing with SO much. Not to
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
I received this ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for my review.

I really thought food would be featured more prominently in this book. I was hoping anyway. I love food, especially cookies. But alas, Kara's baking was just a side not to a storyline about a stalker and a family still grieving. Oh, and there's a really bland kind of love triangle thrown in there too.

Kara wants to be a professional baker and she is dealing with the fact that someone keeps leaving threatening notes for her. The notes a
Fiona
It was hauntingly good and most of the time had kept me gripping onto the book. It was complex in a beautiful way that will surely will keep you guessing and breathless until the end.

Although it was an entertaining read and was worth the time to spend on reading it, my complaints were that the suspense/thriller vibe wasn't fully displayed well in a manner which most readers will actually look forward to. I was expecting it to be really suspenseful and fast-paced, but it was the opposite. Also th
Haddie Harper
Oh man . . . What can I say other than I am shocked and dumbfounded . . . I have not watched or read Pretty Little Liars, nor do I intend to, but knowing that sort of theme was in this book intrigued me. I liked how it bounced between the present and the younger Kara years. Can't help liking Charlie when he steps in. Felt a little out of sorts because Kara's mother is indeed a wonderful character and I wish Kara did not see her that way. Other than that, I really enjoyed reading this book.

I own
Ann Jacobus
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From Where I Watch You is a creepy, un-put-downable thriller that features a whole range of guys and girls that we and main character Kara are just not sure we can trust. The tension mounts and we root for Kara to not only realize her dreams of going away to become a French pastry chef, but to survive with her life!
Cheryl
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
There was just something about this book that captured my attention and won't let go. I could not stop reading this book. There was nothing too suspenseful about the story but the mystery surrounding Kara's stalker and her sister's death had me intrigued. Plus, everyone in this book was refreshing and interesting. From Kara to Charlie to Noelle and Kara's mother.

The author did keep me guessing as to the identity of Kara's stalker. Which I really liked because it kept me on my toes with exciteme
Marci Curtis
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bold, haunting, and beautifully written. An absolutely stunning debut. Five massive stars!
Teodora
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
What...just...happened?? This books has so many different plot lines, that all connect at the end, but can be confusing at the start. Cooking, stalking, sisters death, and a deep dark secret. Yes at times it was muddled and could've been clearer but I still enjoyed this none the less. The stalking, what a bloody creep. I did consider it might be that guy, but I do have to admit he was the last suspect on my list. It does play with your mind, and there are many other people who could've been too. ...more
Kelly Gunderman
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, edelweiss
Check out this and my other reviews on my blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

When I first heard about this book and saw the really pretty cover and the creepy title (that pretty much says a lot about what this book is about), I was excited to read it. While I do find it difficult to come across a good YA thriller, I keep looking, hoping to find one that's really good! While it wasn't the best book I've read this year, From Where I Watch You definitely had its good parts and the creepy factor was pret
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from Amazon Vine.

Diversity Rating: 0 – What Diversity?

Racial-Ethnic:
QUILTBAG: 0
Disability: 0
Intersectionality: 0

30th verse, same as the first: tell me there’s a stalker in a book and I’m in no matter how questionable the rest of it sounds. But there was nothing questionable-sounding about From Where I Watch You anyway because it just sounded like my kind of book. A teenage girl with a passion for baking she plans to turn into a
Chana
#1 Lesson: If you are being stalked, tell someone!! Right now! Don't wait for the right moment, whatever that means.

That being said, I don't remember the teen years being like this. Kara's decisions and conversations were unusual, to say the least; she didn't tell anyone she was being stalked, she went to California (from Seattle) to participate in a baking contest without her mother's permission just leaving a note, she behaves in a dangerous way with older boys she isn't interested in resultin
Vicki
This story is about Kara. Kara whose sister died, Kara whose dream is to become a baker, Kara whose parents divorced and her mom turned "holy roller," and Kara whose stalker leaves her threatening notes.

In this debut novel the author writes a good mystery and one that had me guessing throughout the story "whodunit." I never had a definitive answer until the stalker was revealed, but I was not surprised at who it was.

Kara's dream is to become a baker, so she sets out with or without support to
Katy Upperman
This book surprised me. I was expecting a sweet story about a baker girl (love baker girls!) who's getting some unsettling (though probably harmless) anonymous notes. While there were a few sweet moments between MC Kara and a very endearing boy, From Where I Watch You is a dark book that addresses serious issues with frank, compelling prose. Kara is struggling with her sister's death, her father's abandonment, and her mother's sudden and extreme turn to religion. She's got a stalker, she's scarr ...more
Melissapalmer404
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Book #81 Read in 2015
From Where I Watch You by Shannon Grogan (YA)

Kara is getting creepy notes from, seemingly from a stalker. As if that isn't enough for a high school student to deal with, she is still getting over her sister's death, which caused her mother to transform into a holy roller and her father to leave home. Kara wants to win a baking contest to get the heck out of her home town. That won't be an option if her stalker follows through on his threats...who is he?

This book had decent t
Kristine R.
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I received an autographed review copy -- thank you! This is a little younger of a YA story than I typically read; I would say 14-16 years old or so would be the target audience. I would definitely recommend to YA readers. It is a cute story with some suspenseful parts and plenty of teen angst. Also, sprinkles.
Gail Nall
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 15ers, arc, ya
Wow, this book! It's equal parts creepy, sad, and suspenseful. I stayed up way too late, flying through the short chapters to find out what happened next. Absolutely loved it! (And now I crave sugar cookies...)

(Also, I'm dying to know exactly what happened with Charlie's mom! I thought there was more there than what Charlie was saying, but maybe not?)
Katie
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really recommend this book, it follows a girl who has a sister that died and sometimes she sees her while she bakes. At some point later, she realized she was being followed but couldn't find out who. It's a pretty great book.
Eileen
I really liked this! Kara is a seventeen year old girl dealing with boys, dreams, ex-friends, a bible thumping mother, a stalker & the ghost of her dead sister Kellan.
I finished this in half a day. I was just sucked into Kara's story.
Jeanne
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
A page-turner-y suspense about an expert baker and her creepy stalker. I loved the authentic voice of Kara, her kooky mom, and snarky sister. Warning -- the baking details will have you craving cookies!

Totally delicious mystery!
Tracey Neithercott
Loved—perfectly paced and so atmospheric! Review to come.
Elizabeth Fletcher
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very good book. It is a Youth Fiction book but adults will enjoy. Both young adults and adults will enjoy this book.
Alison
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fearless-15ers
I whipped through this book. In turns creepy and inspiring, it kept me guessing until the very end. Highly entertaining read!
Jodi Linton
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Baking? Well, I suck at backing. Although, I love reading books about baking, and yeah throw in some suspense and I'm your girl. Can not wait for this release!
Molly
I *hated* this book personally, but the narration was good.
Tiffany
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I debated on reading this book for a long time. All the reviews turned me away for awhile. I came back to it because I was curious, is it really that bad? The synopsis sounds good.

Kara is a baker
She is being stalked.
Her family is really screwed up (since/before her sister died).
When you read about Kara from age 7-17, you realize that she hasn't changed all that much.
When she was little, she felt as if all the attention was on her sister. Kellen was her mom and dad's angel and Kara was..........
Amber
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
From Where I Watch You by Shannon Grogan is about Kara, a sixteen year old girl who loves to bake. She wants to enter a contest that could win her a scholarship spot in a culinary school, but the death of her older sister is holding her back. She's also been receiving threatening notes from her stalker.

From Where I Watch You was intriguing at first, which is why I bought it in the first place, but as I started reading it, the language got me first and foremost. Too vulgar, but maybe I'm a prude
Jamie Gogocha
3.5 stars. (I wish we could do half stars)

This was a great concept for a story, and the structure was good. I love a good thriller, and this book has caught my eye a few times. I checked out the audio book version of this book and have some mixed feelings. The narrator's voice was good for the narration and main character, but some of the other characters' voices were super annoying. Kudos to her, though, for doing so many distinctive voices.

I think what would have bumped this book up to 4 star
Alma  Ramos-McDermott
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sixteen-year-old Kara is angry with her dead sister and with her mother. When Kellen died, her father left home and her mother retreated into a shell until she found religion. Her newfound faith changed her into a Holy Roller, offering advice and words of hope to strangers in her new cafe, while ignoring her own daughter. Read the rest of the review on my blog: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress....
  • Lessons in Falling
  • Please Don't Tell
  • Alive
  • What's Broken Between Us
  • Endangered
Shannon Grogan is a kindergarten teacher who writes at night (and while her kids are at ballet and baseball) in a small logging town east of Seattle. She holds degrees in education, and graphic design/Illustration. When she isn’t writing, she's baking, reading, watching scary movies, and wishing she were at the beach. You can find out more about her online at www.shannongrogan.com