Start by marking “Ruth 66” as Want to Read:
Ruth 66

Read Book

Ruth 66

Buckle up and grab the ‘oh-crap!’ handle above your head as you join music-mad Charlie on a life changing road trip down Route 66.

An outsider in his family, an outcast at school, and always outdone by his own clumsiness, Charlie hides behind his passion for music whenever he can. But then the unimaginable happens and he is plunged head-first into a murky family secret and
Published February 26th 2014 by Elizabeth Barlo (first published December 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Ruth 66, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruth 66

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire SáenzSimon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky AlbertalliThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyCarry On by Rainbow RowellWill Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green
LGBTQ for YA
857 books — 1,705 voters
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
512 books — 2,453 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Ruth 66
Dana
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gratis
Perhaps this book would appeal more for young boys(although the cover is rather feminine), but for me this novel just didn't hit the mark. The characters all felt like caricatures and the dialogue was awkward and clumsy. Every scenario in the book felt unrealistic and immature.

The "troubled" relationships were a joke as well, constantly calling everyone an idiot does not a badass make.

Despite all of my complaining I do appreciate the effort that the author put forth in this book. For a younger
Susan
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as part of the Goodreads first reads program.

I really enjoyed the book, from the rich characters, to the musical references, to the road trip mishaps (many of which I've suffered myself). I related to it on so many levels. My family always traveled by car, not having the money to fly, and we often camped on vacation instead of staying in motels. Though I did not have a wild, carefree grandmother, my mother was no stranger to the art of thoroughly embarrassing her 2 teenage c
Liz
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
16-year-old Charlie’s normally austere Dutch grandmother surprises his family when she screeches up in their front yard in a vintage 1960s VW bus. She’s let down her hair, forsaken her Botox treatments, and has donated the entire family fortune to charity. An even bigger surprise? She wants Charlie to give up his summer job to accompany her on a cross-country trip. Together, they trek across America in a tale filled with rock ’n roll, family secrets, and humor.

For the most part, Ruth 66 is an en
Suleyma
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every teenager who wants to laugh
Meet Charlie, he is not the ordinary teenager. His mom is pure evil, his sister doesn't really care about him and his dad is in jail. Charlie has a burning passion for music and during the book he places songs at certain events. When Charlies grandmother shows up dressed like a hippie his life turns upside down. Together with his grandmother Ruth he experiences the best roadtrip ever.

This book was so good, I couldn't put it down after I started it. There where plot twists everywhere and I am not
Carolyn Keel
I received this book through First Reads Giveaways.

It took me a long time to muddle through it because it was just... I don't know.... lacking.

It didn't really go anywhere and just ... I don't know. Maybe for a more immature reader, it might be okay, but I just didn't really get into it. It wasn't awful, by any means. I wish you could give half star ratings here, because honestly, I think it is more of a 2.5 than a two, but what are you gonna do?

...sigh...

I'm sorry. I wish I could give this a be
Gill
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story, I wasn't sure at first but got to like and empathise with the characters. A young man coming of age discovers life is both more and less complicated than he thinks, young love, coming of age, and a wonderful musical thread that makes me want to pop on iTunes and download some wonderful songs I'd almost forgotten!! A fun and enjoyable books, read it!!!

Book received free via GoodReads FirstReads
Christine
I was lucky enough to have won this through First Reads! Thank you to the author, Elizabeth Barlo, for sending it to me. It has definitely traveled farther than any other book I've won!

I really enjoyed Charlie and Ruth. And Rosie. Their adventure was a fun one to tag along on. I don't think I've read any book quite like this one... Elizabeth has her own unique style of writing, and it was a fast read. The music references were also fun.
Logan
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as part of the giveaway program and really enjoyed reading this book. I loved the musical references and spent days with the songs stuck in my head. Wonderful storyline and kept me interested to the very last page. Full credit to Elizabeth Barlo for writing such a wonderful, interesting book. I was very happy to be selected to receive it on the giveaway program.
Tammy
Frederick Rotzien
Bacsa
Amber
Apr 01, 2014
I am an indie author of Young Adult and Contemporary Women's Fiction. My work is 'Fiction With A Heartbeat' - 'cause life ain't so bad when you approach it with a little humor and belief in your own potential.

My first Young Adult novel Ruth 66 is now available as an e-Book and paperback from Amazon.com, CreateSpace.com, Smashwords.com and other online book retailers.