Start by marking “Beautiful Wreck” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Wreck

Beautiful Wreck

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  114 reviews
In a bleak future built on virtual reality, Ginn is a romantic who yearns for something real. She designs environments for people who play at being Vikings. But when her project goes awry, she’s stranded in the actual 10th century, on a storybook farm in Viking Iceland.

Heirik is the young leader of his family, honored by the men and women who live on his land. But he is fe
Published February 1st 2014 by Cooperative Press (first published January 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Wreck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Wreck

Outlander by Diana GabaldonParallel Roads (Lost on Route 66) by Dennis HigginsAll Bottled Up by Angela     RoseAlmost Yesterday by Dennis HigginsKatya And Cyrus Time Pilgrims by Dennis Higgins
Best Time Travel Romances
25th out of 288 books — 719 voters
Fires of Winter by Johanna LindseyHearts Aflame by Johanna LindseySurrender My Love by Johanna LindseyDream of Me/Believe in Me by Josie LittonCome Back to Me by Josie Litton
Best Viking Romances
9th out of 68 books — 128 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill

James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser is still safe in his position as the numero uno hero in romantic fiction. But Heirik, the Viking gives him a run for his money.

description

5-star story with a 3.5-star execution but still worth the read

This author has raw talent, and has it in her to be a writer possibly on a par with Diana Gabaldon, author of the Outlander series. There, I said it. She's that good.

Set initially in the future of the 22ndC, the heroine Ginn (her real name is Jen) is c
Heather
Beautiful Wreck is a book so imbued with stark beauty and raw emotive power that as you read it, your internal topography is rearranged - it's the kind of book that shifts everything you knew, or thought you knew, about writing and love. The world just looks different when you're done.

The first thing you must understand when beginning this book is that it has a lot going on. Time travel. Vikings. A yearning so strong you can actually feel it. Love. Betrayal. There are even ponies and MMA fights.
Penny Reid
Mar 24, 2014 Penny Reid added it
Shelves: book-club
3/24: I've slept on it. Here are my thoughts:
I don't know how to rate this book. If this were an indie book or a one of the big publishing houses, I would likely give it two stars (so, in other words, I wouldn't rate it on here at all). I'm sorry, I can't rate this book. I tried rating it at 2 stars for a few minutes, but didn't feel comfortable; therefore, I'm leaving it blank.

The good: The love story between the two main characters is beautiful and heart-wrenching. This writer can write (i.e.
Alex Tinsley
I am very much not a romance novel person, but if they were all as well-written, well-researched, and well-constructed as this one, I'd be tempted to change my mind ;-) Beautiful Wreck is engrossing, thrilling, frustrating, and heartbreaking. I devoured it in about three days (and spent a good portion of them in a legitimate mope because I was vicariously tormented by dark, sexy, tortured vikings- that's how you know a book is good, when your husband asks "What's wrong?" and you answer woefully, ...more
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Jul 09, 2014 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Fic/romance/Viking/Outlander fans
Recommended to Anna (Bobs Her Hair) by: Jill
3.5 stars...Ja! I liked it. You'll probably like it too!

Now in the 22nd century, everyone lived—to some degree—in a world that had happened before. We studied and debated and reanimated the words and fashions of a hundred yesterdays and adopted them as though we’d run out of original things to be. In the aughts and teens, being part of an anachronistic culture had been unusual. Now it was the norm. Everyone had a place and time they loved, and they lived in it every moment they could.

Jen, a li
Amy
Every now and then you encounter a book that you know will be an amazing book from the very first page. This is such a book.
A meadow would have been lovely. I’d come into the tank every day if I could feel lush, slippery grass between my toes, the gentle nudge of a breeze at my frothy hems. But the programmers couldn’t accomplish the immense reach and power of outdoor scenes. Not yet.

I keep trying to put my finger why I knew that this would be a 5-star book from the start, and I think that it’
Rachael Herron
With a plot as exciting as it is bold, and with characters as real and important as family, Larissa Brown’s BEAUTIFUL WRECK weaves an intensely gripping tale about the strength of women and the love they carry.

This is the story we’ve been waiting for.

I loved this book with all my heart. I can't wait for EVERYONE to fall in love with it (and them) the way I did.

Beverly
Disclaimer: I edited this novel.

Review: My close association with this novel no doubt colors my review, but I hope you'll trust me despite that.

This should be the first book you read in 2014. Larissa Brown creates setting, develops character, crafts plot in fresh, delightful ways. I grew to care deeply about even minor characters. The novel, set in a bleak future world and a lush 10th century Iceland will engross you. The book surprises and satisfies, avoiding romance and fantasy cliches, creat
Shannon Okey
The best novel I have read in years. Grabs you from the very first page and won't let you go -- everyone who's read the galleys hasn't been able to put it down. Beautiful Wreck has caused MANY (GOOD) sleepless nights!
The only reason this book is on my TBR list is because it was chosen by a member of my book club that assures us that despite it's terrible cover it is actually a wonderful read. I am going to have to take her word for it because as I've said before, I do judge books by their covers and this one is truly awful. If it weren't for book club there is no way I would have ever chosen to read this.

Ok read it. Here's why I've rated it 3 starts when I feel like this book has 5 star potential. First star
This stunning, sweeping epic of tenth century Iceland immerses readers in a spare, cold, beautiful landscape, while giving from-the-future Ginn plenty of challenges and a hot blaze of adoration for a man everyone fears. Larissa Brown's carefully researched Icelandic community crackles with life and realistic details, and we experience it as outsiders, watching Ginn try to make her way through a complicated society that's based on long-held customs, societal beliefs, and basic needs.

Beautiful Wr
Satarupa
I got this book from the author, free of cost, in exchange of an honest review from my side.

Firstly I would like to thank the author for giving me this opportunity of reading and reviewing this book and I would also like to thank Lovers of Paranormal Group of Goodreads for giving me this copy under their Read to Review theme.

Well, to be honest this book is really awesome and I'm not exaggerating guys!!!

There is romance, passion, trust, struggle and a beautiful historic description of the plot th
Holly
This is not a lighthearted, quick romance. It took me a while to get into it (like, 100 pages). I almost put it down to pick something else up that's a little more lighthearted, more easy, but I'm glad I stuck it out because I would have missed out on a great read. I was laying in bed reading, knowing I needed to put it away if I was going to get good sleep, actually put it away, then thought about it for another 10 minutes and picked up to read again. Sleep is overrated, anyhow.

There are parts
penny
Without a doubt, Beautiful Wreck is one of the best novels I've read recently. While on the surface it could be categorized under certain genres such as fantasy and romance, it dispenses with the usual clichés associated with these classifications and tosses them away to forge a new path. We are transported from a near-future, which is enthralled by visions of the past, to the imagined past of Iceland in the year 920 which full of beauty and hope for the future.

We watch Ginn discover a reality
Jenifer Kleine
Wow, this book was amazing. The writing was wonderful, the story kept you wanting to read. I havent read a book like this in forever. The story started out a little confusing in the future and that was my only complaint about this book. The way she described the past, it was like being right there with Ginn & Heirik. I cant say enough about this book, and I am really greatful to the author for giving me a chance to read this. GET THIS BOOK PEOPLE!

Julie
If you liked Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, you will love this book. If you (like me) LOVED Outlander, you will weep with joy--because this is better.

I received an ARC of this book from an acquaintance in exchange for an agreement to provide an honest review. I was happy to agree--I love romance, I love Vikings, I like time travel. what I didn't expect was to have a hard time writing a review because--well, the book is just too dang good. It left me speechless.

Larissa Brown's haunting, evoca
Melanie
Jun 08, 2014 Melanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves good fiction
Recommended to Melanie by: penny
"as though we'd run out of original things to be..."

Historic reenactments are no longer hobbies for the few in 22nd-century Iceland, where all now pursue their favorite eras in costume, interacting only in the recreated past. Jen, a young linguist, brings her expertise in Old Norse language and gestures to a bold, new, fully-realized Viking longhouse scenario in a full-sensory sim "tank," where participants will be immersed in their beloved era, "minus the messy beauty of a real farm, the stink
Carolyn
Incredible. Heartrending. Wondrous. More later today...

SO.....I had read my friend Rachel's review of this book and KNEW I obviously MUST read it (I mean, THAT REVIEW!!) but somehow I never actually read the summary of what it was about.

This book starts out in the future, a future full of people looking backward and other people working to make that a virtual reality. And at first I thought it was going to be a story about this girl (Ginn) sort of trapped in this cold lonely place where she doe
Andrea Cooper
Beautiful Wreck is a treasure of history and love. The beginning was hard to follow and confusing for me. However, I kept reading and was glad I did. The story unfolds into an epic tale of love and timetravel.
Heirik believes he is cursed because of a mark, but Ginn is determined to show him the truth and love.

Larissa Brown paints this medieval world with such color and detail I could feel the bitter wind and taste the saltwater in the air. She captures the real life world of the Vikings and the
Kim Degener
I loved this book. I found Ginn's world unfolding around me, thanks to the rich and vivid descriptions. For the first time in years, I actually sat down and read a book straight through. I might not have gotten much sleep last night, but my reader's soul is more than satisfied.
Denise
I truly enjoyed this book, it was enchanting, written with heart and soul. I find myself wanting to look at Viking beads online, looking at photos available for this time period. It flew to the list of my 10 most favorite books very quickly.
Monica **can't read fast enough**
*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

*Warning: I use the word "awesome" at least three time during this review!*

I was contacted by Larissa Brown a few months ago about possibly reading and reviewing her soon to be released novel, but at the time I was a little swamped with other things such as real life and a list of other books that I already had lined up. I wish that I had gotten to this wonderful book sooner! I am so glad that I finally got the oppo
ChattyKat
This book was definitely a pleasant surprise. I'm not a huge fan of LENGTHY novels but decided to give this one a go because of all of the glowing reviews. I wasn't disappointed... this author clearly did her homework and presents us with a story that does an excellent job of transporting us to this old Viking homestead in the past.
I do have a few tiny negatives so I'll get those out of the way first. The beginning of this book was a bit of a struggle, it didn't flow well. More attention really
Stephanie
Librarians: you know how it is incredibly difficult to find a truly good readalike for Diana Gabaldon's OUTLANDER? Well, look no further: BEAUTIFUL WRECK is that book. Combining elements of time travel, future technology, romance, and historical fiction, BEAUTIFUL WRECK is one of those wonderful multi-genre works that is well-researched and totally immersive.

As a reader, what I enjoyed most, after the descriptions of life in a Viking settlement circa 900, was the intense anticipation Brown has b
Debbie
Beautiful Wreck by Larissa Brown
I received this book from the Author in exchange for an honest review. This book is not a light hearted, quick read romance novel. But rather a powerful, beautifully written love story. The book is a little confusing in the beginning as there are so many elements that have to come together. But once you get going you will not be able to put this book down. The story is well written, well researched and well constructed. The characters are detailed and have persona
Skedatt
I have actually been thinking a lot about this book, trying to work out how to write an honest review. On the one hand, I want to give it four stars for actually holding my attention and keeping me thinking about it for a while, but then it gets knocked down to one star for the ick feeling that I wasted so much time.

The Good:

1) Kept my interest in a time when few books do. (Big points there.)

2) Liked the research that went into it.

3) Some of the secondary characters I really liked.

4) There wer
Caffenero
Review Update 19th May 2014
The book has a new cover. Much better than the blind girl.
It seems the formatting problem has been solved. At least in the first pages. I haven't found the time to read it again.
--------------------

This is a beautiful story. Amazing. Really!

BUT... BUT... BUT... (Yes I've three big buts)

BUT nr1 - The cover is terrible. If a friend hadn't heartily recommended this book I would NEVER (I'm sure of that) picked it up.

BUT nr2- the FIRST chapter is confusing. If the above me
Chocolit Chick
As I licked the batter from the rim of the mixing bowl, I ground into the flour and baking soda particle clumps that didn’t smooth into the concoction. My face scrunches up in consternation, but I soldier on, determined to find nirvana. I am thwarted again when the kitchen timer chimes; tricked into believing the product is done, I find the brownies gooey and undercooked in the middle. Satisfaction only arrives when I work my way to the edges that are baked just right. This, my peeps, mirrors my ...more
Heather  *trying to find a good book*
Overall good story a bit slow at some parts.

If you are looking for a steamy hot viking book with endless sex....this is not it. This is a story of the day to day life of Jen/Ginn as she goes from the future to being accidently sent back to the 10th century Viking Era. We travel with Ginn as she finds her place in the past as well as developing a crush on the Chief, Heirick. She falls in love but the trouble is..the man.

Heirick (22) was born with a mark that people say he is cursed and untoucab
Jane
Feb 26, 2015 Jane rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jane by: Jill
Unless you care to click
HERE, here's the tl;dr version of my experience with Beautiful Wreck.

A time-traveling 22nd century woman who ends up in the 10th century Iceland can be a rather good heroine and a 10th century viking chief can become a rather good (read: loving and caring) hero as well. Unfortunately, I felt that Brown should have told us more about the future world since I didn't really get that world other than the fact that the aspects Ginn told us however briefly made me not want to
  • Hemlock (Tales of a Traveler #1)
  • The Last Hour of Gann
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh, #1)
  • Washington's Providence (A Timeless Arts Novel, #1)
  • The Ruby Brooch (Celtic Brooch Trilogy #1)
  • When There is Hope
  • The Devil's Match (The Devil DeVere #4)
  • In Times Like These
  • Highland Stone
  • Once a Pirate
  • Stone Lover (Stone Passions, #1)
  • Changing Nature (Immortal Descendants, #3)
  • Kiss Me, I'm Yours (Tennessee Waltz, #2)
  • Snow-Kissed (Snow Queen #1)
  • Rita Hayworth's Shoes
  • Flashes of Me: An Erotic Novella
  • Damn Love
  • Lost In The Mist Of Time
Larissa's first novel, Beautiful Wreck, is a time travel love story set in a bleak future and in 10th century Viking Iceland. She's at work on a companion book set in the same world.

An eclectic reader, Larissa's favorite book this year was A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic. She reads speculative fiction, romance, historical fiction and craft books, and has a special love for knitting stitch di
More about Larissa Brown...
Knitalong: Celebrating the Tradition of Knitting Together My Grandmother's Knitting: Family Stories and Inspired Knits from Top Designers Demystifying Grantseeking: What You Really Need to Get Grants