Start by marking “Beautiful Wreck” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Wreck

Beautiful Wreck

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  1,069 Ratings  ·  232 Reviews
An alternate cover edition can be found here and here.

In a bleak future built on virtual reality, Ginn is a romantic who yearns for something real. She designs environments for people who play at being Vikings. But when her project goes awry, she’s stranded in the actual 10th century, on a storybook farm in Viking Iceland.

Heirik is the young leader of his family, honored b
Published February 1st 2014 by Cooperative Press (first published January 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Wreck, please sign up.

Jennifer Jensen The writing is awesome, and it's a far cry from Outlander. I highly recommend it.

Jill
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it

James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser is still safe in his position as the numero uno hero in romantic fiction. But Heirik, the Viking gives him a run for his money.

description

5-star story with a 3.5-star execution but still worth the read

This author has raw talent, and has it in her to be a writer possibly on a par with Diana Gabaldon, author of the Outlander series. There, I said it. She's that good.

Set initially in the future of the 22ndC, the heroine Ginn (her real name is Jen) is c
Anniebananie
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hach war das ein schönes Wälzerchen! 😊 ich hatte zwar meine Probleme am Anfang reinzukommen, da mir die Beschreibungen der Zukunft doch etwas ungenau erschienen, aber als wir uns dann in der Vergangenheit befanden, wurde es toll! Der Schreibstil war angenehm und die Charaktere gut durchdacht und vielschichtig. Endlich mal ein Buch in dem die sich das Liebespaar vor ernsthaften und nachvollziehbaren Problemen wiederfindet. Und Ginn war eine reife Frau und kein nerviger, dramatischer Teenager mehr ...more
ExlibrisLisa
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wenn ich könnte würde ich 1000000 Sterne vergeben, für mich ein absolutes Jahreshighlight!
Die Geschichte um Ginn und Heirik in Island ist so wunderschön geschrieben, obwohl es ein leichter, historischer Jugendroman ist kam für mich auf keine der 668 Seiten Langeweile auf.
Ich kann das Buch einfach absolut jedem empfehlen, ganz großes Kino!
Heather
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful Wreck is a book so imbued with stark beauty and raw emotive power that as you read it, your internal topography is rearranged - it's the kind of book that shifts everything you knew, or thought you knew, about writing and love. The world just looks different when you're done.

The first thing you must understand when beginning this book is that it has a lot going on. Time travel. Vikings. A yearning so strong you can actually feel it. Love. Betrayal. There are even ponies and MMA fights.
Penny Reid
Dec 06, 2013 added it
Shelves: book-club
3/24: I've slept on it. Here are my thoughts:
I don't know how to rate this book. If this were an indie book or a one of the big publishing houses, I would likely give it two stars (so, in other words, I wouldn't rate it on here at all). I'm sorry, I can't rate this book. I tried rating it at 2 stars for a few minutes, but didn't feel comfortable; therefore, I'm leaving it blank.

The good: The love story between the two main characters is beautiful and heart-wrenching. This writer can write (i.e.
Alex Tinsley
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am very much not a romance novel person, but if they were all as well-written, well-researched, and well-constructed as this one, I'd be tempted to change my mind ;-) Beautiful Wreck is engrossing, thrilling, frustrating, and heartbreaking. I devoured it in about three days (and spent a good portion of them in a legitimate mope because I was vicariously tormented by dark, sexy, tortured vikings- that's how you know a book is good, when your husband asks "What's wrong?" and you answer woefully, ...more
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Fic/romance/Viking/Outlander fans
Recommended to Anna (Bobs Her Hair) by: Jill
3.5 stars...Ja! I liked it. You'll probably like it too!

Now in the 22nd century, everyone lived—to some degree—in a world that had happened before. We studied and debated and reanimated the words and fashions of a hundred yesterdays and adopted them as though we’d run out of original things to be. In the aughts and teens, being part of an anachronistic culture had been unusual. Now it was the norm. Everyone had a place and time they loved, and they lived in it every moment they could.

Jen, a li
Larissa Brown
Thank you for reading, queuing & reviewing Beautiful Wreck! I would give five stars to the amazing experience I had writing this book, but I feel odd putting stars on my own work. I hope you enjoy it.
Amy
Every now and then you encounter a book that you know will be an amazing book from the very first page. This is such a book.
A meadow would have been lovely. I’d come into the tank every day if I could feel lush, slippery grass between my toes, the gentle nudge of a breeze at my frothy hems. But the programmers couldn’t accomplish the immense reach and power of outdoor scenes. Not yet.

I keep trying to put my finger why I knew that this would be a 5-star book from the start, and I think that it’
Rachael Herron
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
With a plot as exciting as it is bold, and with characters as real and important as family, Larissa Brown’s BEAUTIFUL WRECK weaves an intensely gripping tale about the strength of women and the love they carry.

This is the story we’ve been waiting for.

I loved this book with all my heart. I can't wait for EVERYONE to fall in love with it (and them) the way I did.

Giedre
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic debut time travel romance (22nd century to early 10th century Viking Iceland) that captivated me from start to finish. Dreamlike writing, vivid world building, fascinating characters, epic slow-burn romance—Beautiful Wreck certainly has a lot going for it. The attention given to research of Viking Iceland is impressive. Though I wouldn't have minded spending a bit more time in the 22nd century, because I found it fascinating as well and wanted to know more. That, however, wasn't much o ...more
Beverly
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I edited this novel.

Review: My close association with this novel no doubt colors my review, but I hope you'll trust me despite that.

This should be the first book you read in 2014. Larissa Brown creates setting, develops character, crafts plot in fresh, delightful ways. I grew to care deeply about even minor characters. The novel, set in a bleak future world and a lush 10th century Iceland will engross you. The book surprises and satisfies, avoiding romance and fantasy cliches, creat
Shannon Okey
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best novel I have read in years. Grabs you from the very first page and won't let you go -- everyone who's read the galleys hasn't been able to put it down. Beautiful Wreck has caused MANY (GOOD) sleepless nights!
Kazy
Skedatt
I have actually been thinking a lot about this book, trying to work out how to write an honest review. On the one hand, I want to give it four stars for actually holding my attention and keeping me thinking about it for a while, but then it gets knocked down to one star for the ick feeling that I wasted so much time.

The Good:

1) Kept my interest in a time when few books do. (Big points there.)

2) Liked the research that went into it.

3) Some of the secondary characters I really liked.

4) There wer
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The only reason this book is on my TBR list is because it was chosen by a member of my book club that assures us that despite it's terrible cover it is actually a wonderful read. I am going to have to take her word for it because as I've said before, I do judge books by their covers and this one is truly awful. If it weren't for book club there is no way I would have ever chosen to read this.

Ok read it. Here's why I've rated it 3 starts when I feel like this book has 5 star potential. First star
twelvejan [Alexandria]
3 'this-is-way-too-long' stars

"There was someone real for me somewhere. Someone I could really know, could really love, and some part of me admitted I would never find him here in my room, my eyes shuttered, heart in the past."

A pity. This was compared to Diana Gabaldon's Outlander - pffft. It sure can't hold a candle to that. Beautiful Wreck has such beautiful quotes about loneliness that I fully identify with. The world building of Iceland circa 920 was done beautifully. The setback - the st
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oregon
This stunning, sweeping epic of tenth century Iceland immerses readers in a spare, cold, beautiful landscape, while giving from-the-future Ginn plenty of challenges and a hot blaze of adoration for a man everyone fears. Larissa Brown's carefully researched Icelandic community crackles with life and realistic details, and we experience it as outsiders, watching Ginn try to make her way through a complicated society that's based on long-held customs, societal beliefs, and basic needs.

Beautiful Wr
Wilja
Auf Seite 117/468 hab ich es dann abgebrochen. Sie hat sich wieder in Sehnsüchten nach ihrem Chief verloren, gewaschen, gesponnen und exakt 3 einsilbige Gespräche mit ihm geführt. Bei mir kommen überhaupt keine Feelings auf. Es passiert einfach nichts. Im Sorry 😐
Melanie
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves good fiction
Recommended to Melanie by: penny shima glanz
"as though we'd run out of original things to be..."

Historic reenactments are no longer hobbies for the few in 22nd-century Iceland, where all now pursue their favorite eras in costume, interacting only in the recreated past. Jen, a young linguist, brings her expertise in Old Norse language and gestures to a bold, new, fully-realized Viking longhouse scenario in a full-sensory sim "tank," where participants will be immersed in their beloved era, "minus the messy beauty of a real farm, the stink
Satarupa
I got this book from the author, free of cost, in exchange of an honest review from my side.

Firstly I would like to thank the author for giving me this opportunity of reading and reviewing this book and I would also like to thank Lovers of Paranormal Group of Goodreads for giving me this copy under their Read to Review theme.

Well, to be honest this book is really awesome and I'm not exaggerating guys!!!

There is romance, passion, trust, struggle and a beautiful historic description of the plot th
Holly
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-f, historical
This is not a lighthearted, quick romance. It took me a while to get into it (like, 100 pages). I almost put it down to pick something else up that's a little more lighthearted, more easy, but I'm glad I stuck it out because I would have missed out on a great read. I was laying in bed reading, knowing I needed to put it away if I was going to get good sleep, actually put it away, then thought about it for another 10 minutes and picked up to read again. Sleep is overrated, anyhow.

There are parts
penny shima glanz
Shelves: scifi-fantasy, arcs
Without a doubt, Beautiful Wreck is one of the best novels I've read recently. While on the surface it could be categorized under certain genres such as fantasy and romance, it dispenses with the usual clichés associated with these classifications and tosses them away to forge a new path. We are transported from a near-future, which is enthralled by visions of the past, to the imagined past of Iceland in the year 920 which full of beauty and hope for the future.

We watch Ginn discover a reality
Claire
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains a futuristic sci-fi kickass norse language nerd time travelling to meet a cursed viking, and if that doesn't sell it, then this is not the book for you... This nutty plot beats The Time Traveller's Wife hands-down. It has all of Outlander's commitment to historical detail (imaginary or otherwise) without that problematic rapey-ness factor. Which really shouldn't earn a book bonus stars, but in this case I'm willing to pay them.

Along with more bonus stars for the author managi
Andrea Cooper
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautiful Wreck is a treasure of history and love. The beginning was hard to follow and confusing for me. However, I kept reading and was glad I did. The story unfolds into an epic tale of love and timetravel.
Heirik believes he is cursed because of a mark, but Ginn is determined to show him the truth and love.

Larissa Brown paints this medieval world with such color and detail I could feel the bitter wind and taste the saltwater in the air. She captures the real life world of the Vikings and the
Jenifer Kleine
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favs
Wow, this book was amazing. The writing was wonderful, the story kept you wanting to read. I havent read a book like this in forever. The story started out a little confusing in the future and that was my only complaint about this book. The way she described the past, it was like being right there with Ginn & Heirik. I cant say enough about this book, and I am really greatful to the author for giving me a chance to read this. GET THIS BOOK PEOPLE!

Denise
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this book, it was enchanting, written with heart and soul. I find myself wanting to look at Viking beads online, looking at photos available for this time period. It flew to the list of my 10 most favorite books very quickly.
Dabney
If I could give six stars, I would. I adored this book. I began reading it at seven in the evening and read all through the next morning until I was done. The experience was like falling into another world, one where words transported, challenged, and oh so pleased me.

Read it.
Jewel DiSalvo
Well...

All I'm going to say is that if Outlander (and subsequently Jamie Fraser) didn't do it for you in terms of time travel romance and you want something a little more introspective and a LOT more slow burn when it comes to the romance aspect, then I highly recommend Beautiful Wreck.

This novel is so immersive and historically rich that you'll be transported and not want to put it down, but the writing is also honest and by turns full of heartbreak and love that never felt manufactured.

I fel
  • Hemlock (Tales of a Traveler, #1)
  • Forever His (Stolen Brides, #1)
  • A Love Beyond Time
  • The Indian Rose
  • Circles in Time
  • Washington's Providence (A Timeless Arts Novel, #1)
  • The Pocket Watch (The Pocket Watch Chronicles #1)
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh, #1)
  • When There is Hope
  • Veil of Time
  • The Other Side of Heaven (Italian Time Travel, #1)
  • Legacy
  • Enemy of Mine (The Glimpse Time Travel #1)
  • Flashes of Me (The Seen Trilogy, #3.1)
  • The Last Hour of Gann
  • Timeless Passion
  • The Ruby Brooch (Celtic Brooch #1)
  • Highland Stone
Larissa writes epic love stories and creates dramatic designs for hand knitters.

Her first novel, Beautiful Wreck, is a time travel love story set in a fictional 10th century Iceland. So Wild A Dream is a two-book series, set in the same world, which will launch in 2016. Larissa is also the author of the novella Tress, a gothic horror fairytale love story.

She regularly posts photos of her #writings
More about Larissa Brown...