Start by marking “A Tender Victory” as Want to Read:
A Tender Victory

A Tender Victory

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  191 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The story of the Reverend John Fletcher, who adopts 5 war orphans after WWII and takes them to a small coal mining town in America to live.
Published (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about A Tender Victory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tender Victory

Sonia Gomes
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Want a good story with lots of courage, read this one!
Why is this wonderful book not read more often?
A Protestant Minister adopts a group of five orphans,after going through miles of red tape in the aftermath of the Second World War. Jean, Max, Pietro, Kathy and Emily have faced the ravages of the Second World War, orphans from different parts of Europe banded together scavenging food living like wild animals in an old abandoned house.
The Pastor rescues them from a mob ready to lynch them.
In America, where he thinks there will be more tolerance, t
What happens when a Protestant minister adopts 5 children coming from the Holocaust and decides to live with them at a small mining town in America?

If you want to know, just read this book. Or not.

4* The Arm and the Darkness
2* A Tender Vi
Mary
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A Protestant minister is a chaplain in war torn Europe. He rescues five starving and traumatised orphans from the many scrabbling for survival in Germany and brings them home to America with him. He is deeply disturbed to find that his first parish will not accept his children and moves to a much poorer town to take up a ministry. Part of the difficulty his parishioners have is his insistance that the children should be brought up in the faith of their original families. The concept that all fai ...more
Kaeeap
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
written in 1956 but just as fresh and applicable now as then, with exception of some Communist ranting, otherwise the anti immigrant dialogue could have come right out of the Trump playbook
Chloe
Feb 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone above the age of reason.
Recommended to Chloe by: My mom
A Enwright
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So I gave this book 5 stars, not because it's Dostoevsky, but because it is top of the line for its genre.

So yes, it's very much a period piece... published 10 years after World War 2, you can see how much that war impacted life in the 50's, that 10 years after, issues of that war were still very much in the minds and lives of the people here. At the very least, it helps a person understand what life was like back then and in that sense is a period piece.

Yes, there are portions in there that st
Carla Suzanne
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Written back in the day when women did "women's work".. it is still a very good novel about the end of WWII when there were packs of roving orphans that would terrorize parts of Europe because they had nothing. It is about a man with a mission to save just a few of them.

This is my mother's favorite book and she gave me a copy when I was in about seventh grade. I have given copies of it to my daughter and to others. There are hard parts to get through, but over all it shows how much compassion w
Jim
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall the book was inspiring and did keep my interest. It was the age old struggle of good vs. evil, which I tend to enjoy. The politics of the era I found interesting as many of the mindsets seem to be repeating and relevant today. Since the book appears to be Christian fiction, I struggled with the reverend and other characters using the Lord's name in vane. There is also mild profanity. From a Biblical stand point I also struggled with the reverends repeated statement that all religions/fai ...more
Adele Geraghty
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
I like to read old books, the way I like to watch old movies. I read this little gem when I was in HS and was thoroughly engrossed. Time marches on. Politial views and social mores have undergone many transformations since then. If one isn't deterred by gender roles having changed drastically since this was written, and takes it at face value, this can still be a good read. A must for those who enjoy period pieces, nostalgia, heart-felt family values and a good old fashioned weepy. Break out the ...more
John Strassel
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have ever read. Heartwarming, inspiring and thought provoking. I have read quite a few Taylor Caldwell books and enjoyed most of them. She gets a little conspiracy-minded at times, bit is one of my favorite authors. Her prose is meticulous and poetic at times, which might make her a difficult read for some, but Tender Victory is a novel that moves quickly and is highly engaging. A great read.
Shirley Freeman
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I remember liking Taylor Caldwell books as a highschooler so I decided to re-read one of the books on my shelf. It was written in 1957 and it sure is dated. It's sort of a combination of Ayn Rand, Laura Ingalls Wilder and Jesus. There is plenty of anticommunist philosophy, larger-than-life tragedies and joys, and a social gospel of intense love of God and neighbor. I'm glad I reminded myself of her books, but I'm probably ready to pass them on to the used bookstore now.
Audrey Webster
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved the book and as always Taylor Caldwell's writing. While religious it relates historically to the times and attitudes of the US after WWII. The story of one man leading to right wrongs while trying to assimilate his 5 war orphans to America.
Margareth8537
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this at the same time that I read Morris West's Second Victory and have always linked the two books.
The Tender Victory shows the possibility of good people being able to achieve something, despite everything that is thrown against them.
A very affirming book
Rae
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
A Protestant minister adopts five children from Europe after WWII and tries to help them assimilate into his community.
Carole Jarvis
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A classic by Taylor Caldwell. Tender love story, spiritual themes. This ranks as one of my very favorites.
Joyce
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
A good read about a minister who adopts 5 orphans in the aftermath of the World War II.
Marian Kaye
Jan 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I love this story. The young chaplin from the war adopting five orphans from the Holocaust and how they become a whole family in Pennsylvania coal country. Very tender story.
Debbie
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is very interesting that a book written the year I was born carries so many themes that are current in todays world. It's a good story and an enjoyable read.
Lee
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Considered a "period piece", but the old fashioned values still hold. This is a very uplifting book.
Pandemo
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, rubberbanded
In my family, the best paperback books are easy to spot. They are inevitably held together by rubber bands - a sure sign of a much-loved book, one worth buying in hardbound.
Wyyknot
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tender victory by Taylor Caldwell (1956)
Terry Fedosky
  • Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans
  • Vital Signs
  • Volevo i pantaloni
  • Nethergate
  • Songs of the Shenandoah (Heirs of Ireland #3)
  • A Stillness of Chimes
  • Memories of Another Day
  • The Dreaming Suburb (The Avenue, #1)
  • Jilted (Mended Hearts #3)
  • A Reason to Stay (Texas Gold, #3)
  • Daughters of the House
  • Stranger at Wildings
  • Der geteilte Himmel
  • Dawn's Early Light (Williamsburg #1)
  • An Endless Christmas
  • The Back of Beyond
  • I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression
  • The Pool of St. Branok (Daughters of England, #14)
Also known by the pen names Marcus Holland and Max Reiner.

Taylor Caldwell was born in Manchester, England. In 1907 she emigrated to the United States with her parents and younger brother. Her father died shortly after the move, and the family struggled. At the age of eight she started to write stories, and in fact wrote her first novel, The Romance of Atlantis, at the age of twelve (although it
More about Taylor Caldwell...