Start by marking “Say Goodnight, Gracie” as Want to Read:
Say Goodnight, Gracie

Say Goodnight, Gracie

There are friends we can't imagine living without.

Morgan and Jimmy were kids together, whirling around the porch on hot summer days. They've been friends forever, and by now they know each other inside out. They do everything together--from cutting high school to go into the city to coaching each other at dance auditions and acting workshops. They even argue well. A perfec

Published August 13th 2013 by HarperCollins (first published March 11th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Say Goodnight, Gracie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Say Goodnight, Gracie

Melanie
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was in the 5th grade, and even after 14 years I still remember this as one of my favorite books. I only read it the one time, so I don't remember all the details of the book. I cannot tell you how well it was written, but I remember being so connected to the story that it had me in tears. One of those books that make you sad when its over. I have books like this, that I read as a child, to thank for my love of getting lost in the story of a book.
Katie Scarlett
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book over and over and over when I was in 9th grade!! I loved it so much I named my daughter after the main character, Morgan!
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Steph for TeensReadToo.com

Jimmy and Morgan have been friends all of their lives. After seventeen years of friendship, the two know everything about each other. There is no one in the world that knows as much about Morgan as Jimmy does. He knows how to calm her, how to make her brave, and how to make her laugh.

But after Jimmy is killed in a car crash, Morgan has a big void in her life -- one that used to be occupied by Jimmy's friendship.

The road to recovery is hard for Morgan. She
Lauren
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick, easy read, but one of my all- time favorites. Within the first few pages, the author tells you that Jimmy is going to die an untimely death. Yet, I have read this book over and over, hoping that the outcome will change! It is a heart-wrenching story of best friendships and tragic loss and how both things truly change a person. I am no literary critic, so the writing might be terrible, but all I know is that you fall in love with the characters and feel for them every page of the way. I ...more
Brooke
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My favorite book of all time! I have read this book probably seven or eight times and I have loved it again and again.

It is a story about a friendship that was supposed to last a lifetime until a car crash takes Jimmy away. The rest of the story features how Morgan tries to go on with life and cope with the death of her best friend. If you have a heart, this book will make you cry.

I think that the main reason why I loved this book so much was the fact that I felt it had certain parallels to my
Bel
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been years since I read this book, and it's still one of my favorites. It's the one book that's made me cry every time I read it, and while the details of the story haven't stuck with me, the emotions that it brought up have. This is a book that makes you appreciate the people in your life, miss the ones you've lost, and make you wish you had a friend that has been there for you for your entire life. It's a little different even from just having a best friend who loves you despite and knows ...more
Grace
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books ever.

Everyone I know who has read the book after I recommended it liked it. Why is there no electronic version of this book??
Brittany Mason
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was in Middle School. I'm not going to lie. I cried towards the end when that very sad event happened. (This is me trying to not include spoilers.) I've read a lot of books in my lifetime, and it really speaks volumes when I am able to remember one of them. (I don't have the best memory.) For some reason, I have never forgotten Say Goodnight, Gracie. This story has stuck with me like few stories have. I deeply recommend that you enjoy this novel as well.
Miranda Dallis
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I read this book for the first time in the 8th grade. I went to the library and checked it out every year for about 10 years. I cried like a baby every time I read it. Now I own "Say Goodnight Gracie" and I still read it from time to time. Maybe for nostalgic reasons...but it's been one of my favorites for years.
Liz
Nov 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, owned-in-nz
While I really enjoyed this book, I feel I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it before reading Looking for Alaska by John Green, which deals with many of the same themes in what I feel is a more sophisticated and true-to-life way. That said, in terms of reading level and subject matter, I think Say Goodnight, Gracie would be great for a younger teen audience, say 12-14.
Wei Lun
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Knowing what you have to lose, but risking the loss anyway. That's what it's all about", personally I think that's a amazing sentence that I found in the last page of the book. This book is a sad story but warm and peaceful book. It talks about a terrible accident brought a girl's life best friend away, and she suddenly has to face her life all alone.
Lolly
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had me crying so hard in middle school. Another one of my sister's that I stole from her shelf. I felt so connected to the character and kept reflecting my best guy friend in hers. Good for the age where you start taking life slightly more seriously (middle school) and helps with learning to deal with pain.
Rhanda
Though I haven't read this book in ages, I remember feeling attached to this book for years. It was my favorite book for the longest time growing up, and always be at the top of my list. This story brings you into the shear pain of losing the one person who truly understood you and loved you for you. I recommend this book to all.
Diana
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is a sweet book, about love and grief. I fell in love with Jimmy, even though I knew his end was near, but not so much with Morgan, although I'm not sure why. I wish grief was as easy and simple as this book leads you to believe but it's not. At least, it isn't for me.
Lindsey
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finishing a book like this on your lunch break when you've still got 3 hours to go is a terrible idea. Just in case anyone was wondering.

Katie
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my long time favorite books!
Jessie SLG3
Apr 18, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The book Lexile number is 580L.
Sheila Halverson
AMAZING!
No more to say.
Kearsten Dallas
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i read this book in the 6th grade. I've always been a fan of reading but this is the first book that has ever made me cry. I could read this book everyday all day if I had to. it is an amazing book.
Toni Williams
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was heartfelt, gutwrenching, wonderful
Holly Clark
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book as a child...early teens. I reread it as an adult and wasn't so impressed but I gave it 5 stars for nostalgia.
Lily
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really awesome book, liked how it tells of this girls life and problems
Kristin
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was in 7th grade. Besides the Harry Potter books this is the only book I remember reading back in middle school. It was an amazing book that had me in tears.
Shermika
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was in middle school. It is such a great story that I still remember to this day.
elissa
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone needing a good cry
One of the best "weepies" ever (IMHO)! I don't remember a whole lot of the story, but I do remember having to keep from sobbing loudly on the subway in NYC.
Makayla Pope
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Personal Response
I thought that Say Goodnight, Gracie was a very good book. My mom really wanted me to read it because it is her all time favorite book, and I really enjoyed it. It was super sad, but I didn't even cry. I cry about everything, so I am super proud of myself. I think that this book was also very funny, and I even laughed out loud a couple of times. Say Goodnight, Gracie was a very good book, and I will definitely read it again sometime.

Plot Summary
Say Goodnight, Gracie is all about
Rachel
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read this book for the first time since high school (or maybe it was middle school?). Changed my rating to 5 stars. Beautiful book.

Originally posted on hello, chelly.

***

The good: I was probably 12 or 13 the first time I read this book. It was one of the more mature young adult books I had ever read back then and I remember it having this profound effect on me. Then I forgot about it.. until recently. I don't even know why but I kept thinking about this book all of a sudden so I decided to r
Jlivney
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quarter-1
Say Goodnight Gracie by Julie Reece Deaver is a heartwarming story about the importance of friendship and teaches you to stay strong even if the impossible happens. This story which is told from the perspective of Morgan has many twists and turns and you won't want to put the book down. Morgan and Jimmy are best friends, and do absolutely everything together. They are always there for each other, and even though there are some bumps on the road they help each other get through hard times. They a ...more
Riley
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really fascinating to read. It talks about the way a typical young person would react to a close friend's death. Although the main character, Morgan, is seventeen years old, there are many times when she seems like she is eleven. This comes from the way the author writes, as well as the way the character acted and responded to her friend Jimmy dying. I think the author wrote this book to teach young kids that it is okay and normal to be upset when someone you love, passes away. Th ...more
China Donapel
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I read this book for reading Olympics I love it!!! I feel so bad for Morgan I cry during the whole book.
description

I know, I know, I'm a cry baby. But I don't care
description

This book is so beautifully written it touch my heart and made me think that you will lose someone you love and need to get over them but never forget them.

Oh and make sure you
  • The Wind Blows Backward
  • Marriable: Taking the Desperate Out of Dating
  • My Daniel
  • The Weight of the Sky
  • Sharing Sam (Love Stories For Young Adults, #2)
  • Family Reunion
  • Midnight Hour Encores
  • The Man Without a Face
  • A Royal Pain
  • The Church of Facebook: How the Hyperconnected Are Redefining Community
  • Life Without Friends (Friends, #2)
  • Remember Me to Harold Square
  • The Watcher
  • Uncle Vampire
  • The Arizona Kid
  • The Girl in the Box
  • Squashed
  • Katie.com: My Story
“There are friends, I think we can't imagine living without. People who are sisters to us, or brothers. Jimmy was one of those. I never thought I might have to go through life without him. I never thought he might be killed by a drunken driver or anything else. Who thinks about things like that when you're seventeen? If I had known ahead of time what was going to happen to him, I would have gone crazy. I guess I did go a little crazy. My Aunt Lo, who's a hospital psychiatrist, says grief travels a certain route-that if you could plot it out on a map you'd have a line that twists and weaves and eventually ends up near the point of departure. I say "near" because although
you may survive the grief, you won't ever be exactly the same. It took me a long time to learn that, and sometimes the whole experience comes back on me and I have to learn it all over again.”
21 likes
“That's what it's all about–knowing what you have to lose, but risking the loss anyway.” 16 likes