Start by marking “The Rotten Apple” as Want to Read:
The Rotten Apple

The Rotten Apple

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  9 ratings  ·  4 reviews
New York City, 1950 – Detective Naomi Blake sits in her office, craving a cigarette. Her phone rings. Mark Falco, owner of Falco Corporation, is in interrogation room one. Falco Corp. trucks have been spotted making late-night deliveries to an out-of-business warehouse, and the NYPD wants answers. Mark lawyers his way out. As always.

A woman comes in to the station. Says he
Kindle Edition
Published April 2014 (first published March 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Rotten Apple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rotten Apple

The Power of the Dog by Don WinslowCaught Stealing by Charlie HustonL.A. Confidential by James EllroyGalveston by Nic PizzolattoAlready Dead by Charlie Huston
New School of Noir
178 books — 230 voters
The Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerThe Maltese Falcon by Dashiell HammettDouble Indemnity by James M. CainThe Black Dahlia by James EllroyThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Noir Fiction
141 books — 179 voters

More lists with this book...

really liked it 4.00  ·

Karen
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-read-digital
The Rotten Apple is a great noir novel that follows Naomi, a truly strong and badass female detective. Stocking immediately does a great job of putting you in the shoes of the main character, with constant subtle reminders that she's a New York City cop in the 1950s. He also shows us a female character that's tough but also has a past that makes her vulnerable. Very few supposed "strong" female characters are quite as well written as Stocking's MC.

The action is quick and full of weight; you trul
Britt Skrabanek
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've seen Noir films, but have never read a book in that company before. Stocking really nailed the mysterious glamor of that genre, whisking the reader away to a world of black and white, where the good guys and bad guys are not what they seem.

As I'm into strong female characters, I loved Detective Naomi Blake—a chain-smoking, kick-butt gal with a sweeter side as well. Stocking develops this character beautifully, so that we can feel the twists and turns of the story right alongside her.

It's a
Devan
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! It had the perfect amount of intrigue that made me not want to stop reading it! The characters were great, especially Naomi. I love a bad ass lead female. :) Although they were pretty solid, some of the smaller characters could have used just a tiny bit more background. The dialogue was done very well, just the right amount. All together, the core concept of this book was awesome and I look forward to reading more from Chris!
Julie
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
In spite of a lot of typos on the kindle version, I enjoyed diving into 1960's old time New York when corruption reigned over the city and its people. The immersion was easy along with strong characters who took us directly into a war-like zone. I'm a little bit disappointed in the ending which is wrapped up a bit too fast for me.
An overall good read, leaving us with a sense of wanting more from Stocking.
Hannah Anstey
Sep 04, 2014
Casey
Nov 26, 2013
Christopher Stocking
Nov 26, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: penned-by-me
Susan Moore
Nov 26, 2014
faith andrews
Dec 05, 2014
Christoper Stocking ia a writer who is capable of undertaking many forms of writing and work in the journalism and communication fields. He has published several novels, has experience with news writing from working as a freelance correspondent at Livingston County News, writing for his college newspaper, The Stylus, as well as serving as a teaching assistant for his college news writing class. Ch ...more