Start by marking “Live and Learn and Pass It On: People Ages 5 to 95 Share What They've Discovered About Life, Love, and Other Good Stuff” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
"On the morning of my fifty-first birthday," writes author H. Jackson Brown, "I thought it would be interesting and maybe even enlightening to jot down a few things more than half a century of living had taught me." Soon he had accumulated quite a list. When a friend said he would contribute a few ideas of his own, Jackson decided to invite other friends and acquaintances ...more
Published September 29th 1991 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Live and Learn and Pass It On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Live and Learn and Pass It On

Lesley Looper
A breezy little read. Some of the quotes are pretty clever. A couple of my favorites:

"I've learned there's no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs."

"I've learned that meeting interesting people depends less on where you go and more on who you are."
Emran
Sep 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
کتابی عالی که تجربیات افراد مختلف را نه در قالب پند بلکه در قالب صحبت هایی دوستانه بیان می کند و مخاطب احساس همزاد پنداری با تمام گویند گان جملات این کتاب می کند . من این کتاب را از یکی ازعزیز ترین دوستانم هدیه گرفتم و جمله او را که در آخر آن نوشته می نویسم ، البته لازم به ذکر است این کتاب با نام من آموختم با جلد آبی زیبایی توسط خانم سمیرا رنجبریان ترجمه و توسط نشر میترا چاپ شده است.
دوست عزیرم در اخر این کتاب نوشته بود که من آموختم بالاترین و فو ق العاده ترین احساس در یک رابطه این است که خدت باش
Erin
Sep 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can you not learn from this book?

Ok, there are a katrillion things, but it is seriously wonderful. To be cliche: it makes you laugh, it might make you cry, and it's wonderfully pure and simple.
Sam  Bronstein
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much truth in such a small package.
Pam
Dec 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-growth
This was a quick hour read but one that has made me think. How would I end the sentence, "I've learned that......"? Some of the quotes from the book reflect my same opinion at different times in my life. I particulary enjoyed reading the quotes from the younger and older people. A six year old noticed that peas spread out over his plate look smaller than when left in a pile. An ninety year old stated that he wasn't sure what the most important thing about living life is.
HeavyReader
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have a few minutes and need other people to suggest how they should live
Shelves: misc
This is one of those little inspirational advice books. I got it for free at the tail end of the Fall '08 Friends of the Library book sale.

It was ok. Some of the advice made me smile, especially the advice from little kids. However, I would never spend money on a book like this.

Maybe I will send it to my mom for Christmas.
Emma
Jun 01, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: quote collectors
It's a fun little book to flip through. Some of the stuff comes off as cliche, but a lot of it rings true. I even have my own information to add: I have learned that headphones melt if you store them wrapped around your desk lamp.
Faraz
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a weird, wrong book. and very akward
Saad Khan
How do i download it? On my iphone app?
Tracey
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun little quips about events people have found important to remember.
Lorna
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Many of the lessons were wise. Some were silly and made me smile. It was a re-read for me.
Sharon
Jul 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love to keep this little book around. I like to just open it from time to time and read a few "lessons."
Kelly
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
Love the different perspectives from the various ages.
Farzaneh
Feb 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Recommended to Farzaneh by: my cousin
So nice ...every body can get some special from it
Maverick
Apr 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • Calvin and Hobbes 1: Thereby Hangs a Tale
  • Get Thee to a Punnery: An Anthology of Intentional Assaults Upon the English Language
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • An Outline of Philosophy
  • Aloha Betrayed: Native Hawaiian Resistance to American Colonialism
  • The Spooky Tail of Prewitt Peacock
  • The Rejection Collection: Cartoons You Never Saw, and Never Will See, in The New Yorker
  • Teach Yourself NLP
  • Reaching Up for Manhood: Transforming the Lives of Boys in America
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Economics
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • Babywatching
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
Date of Birth: 1940

H. Jackson Brown, Jr. is an American author best-known for his book Life's Little Instruction Book which was a New York Times bestseller. Before becoming famous as a writer, Brown acted as a creative director of an advertising agency in Nashville, Tennessee. It was simple words of wisdom gathered from other people and his own experiences that made him a best-selling author.

Brown
More about H. Jackson Brown Jr....

“I’ve learned that when a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience ends up with the money and the man with the money ends up with experience.” 2 likes
“I’ve learned that moving away from my closest friends was much, much harder to do than I ever thought it would be.” 1 likes