Start by marking “The Sillymarillion: An Unauthorized Parody of J.R.R. Tolkien's Classic the Silmarillion” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  22 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Blasphemy! Heresy! Not since Bored of the Rings has there been such a blatant desecration of the sacred works of J.R.R. Tolkien! True fans of Middle-earth, rise up against this upstart and his distorted retelling of The Silmarillion, Tolkien's history of the world before The Lord of the Rings. No self-respecting Dark Lord would ever enter a rapping competition, nor would b ...more
Published September 28th 2004 by Cold Spring Press

To ask other readers questions about The Sillymarillion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sillymarillion

Chris
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, humor
A little-known fact about me: I hated The Lord of the Rings the first time I read it. I thought it was dull and overblown, with 2D characters and lots and lots of pointless page-filler. I thought that Gollum was the only fully fleshed-out character in the whole story, and was glad to put it behind me. That was when I was about ten, I think.

Ten years later I read it again. By this time, I had a lot more modern fantasy under my belt and could finally appreciate the importance of the book to the ge
Caseywd
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
There are 3 complete, epic Middle-earth novels by Tolkien: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and the Silmarillion. Also there are the respective stand-alone parodies, The Soddit, Bored of the Rings, and The Sillymarillion, each from a different author/publisher. Of all these 3, Sillymarillion made me laugh by far the most. It's often vapid and rediculous parody, but if you like that kind of stuff, you'll love it. For an example, the list of (not real) "other books by this author":

-Elves and the
Samuel
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you have actually read "The Silmarillion", you'll probably find this books to be very funny. If you haven't read "The Silmarillion", then "The Sillymarillion" is going to seem like the biggest waste of paper you've ever encountered.

Keeping in mind that the title tells us this book is going to be silly ... this is a funny book. Puns, goofy narrative and names that made me chuckle out loud, this is a book that never once asks to be taken seriously. But if you have read the source material, you'
Dea
Sep 05, 2010 added it
I read this in parallel with Tolkien's The Silmarillion, and I found that reading them together greatly helped my understanding of both books. The chapters in this book are much shorter, hitting (and twisting) the highlights of the stories. Also, the names in this book are much more memorable, which helped me keep track of who was related to who and who did what when and where.

However, I did not find this to be as funny as I expected. Some of the humor was good, but some of it just felt thrown t
Valerie
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing

I was surprised how close this stayed to the giant Silmarillion. The names, while clever and so cute, were also quite recognizable. This story even had the epic qualitiy of good guys bad guys, sorrow, and sturggle, all while they try to claim the sillly putty, engage in ritual handholding, and do other foolish things. Not to be missed.
Amanda and tony schmidt