Start by marking “Tree of Life: Charlotte & the Colonel” as Want to Read:
Tree of Life: Charlotte & the Colonel

Tree of Life: Charlotte & the Colonel

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  51 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Darcy's attachment wasn't the only one smouldering beneath the surface that Easter at Hunsford...

On the verge of proposing to his cousin Anne, the gritty Colonel Fitzwilliam discovers his beloved childhood friend Charlotte living less than half a mile away, married to the odious Mr. Collins.

A harrowing battle escape a year later leaves the colonel with a life-threatening i
Published January 7th 2014 by Ginger Monette

To ask other readers questions about Tree of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tree of Life

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Tree of Life: Charlotte & the Colonel
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Oh, be still my heart – it is a novel about Colonel Fitzwilliam! (Squeee!) Of course the dashing and charming colonel has been the subject of many an Austenesque work, but in this novel…he is explored, developed, and featured in ways like never before. If you are intrigued to learn more about this easy-going and amiable man and observe his journey through trials and personal growth, then read on!

This novel begins several years before the opening of Pride and Prejudice, where we learn that Colone
J. W. Garrett
“A first love is something that lasts forever in your heart. It’s something that marks you.” Elodie Yung

“She was my first love, and I loved her as only a boy loves.” James Weldon Johnson

This was not a happy story for most of our journey. The title tells us that it is the story of our dear Colonel and Charlotte. Well, we know from canon that being the second son, our dear Colonel needed someone that possessed a fortune and had proper connections. Charlotte Lucas has neither. After years of friend
Sophia
They were childhood sweethearts until they were old enough to learn that they both had to marry without love to suit practical needs and family expectation. A long journey of heartbreak, new faith, and hope separate and bring them back in turn in this tender romance for Charlotte Lucas and Richard Fitzwilliam from Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

If Charlotte had good connections in her great aunt that led her into the sphere, if peripherally, of the aristocratic Fitzwilliam family and what if she a
Candy
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
I was truly surprised about how much I enjoyed reading Tree of Life ~ Charlotte and the Colonel. I had no idea what to expect. There are a few changes in this Pride and Prejudice companion story (or continuation) from the original, but mostly only with Charlotte and the Colonel.

In this, the Colonel and Charlotte knew each other as children. Charlotte’s aunt had married well and was a neighbor and close friend of Lady Matlock, the Colonel’s mother. Charlotte would visit her aunt during the summe
Irene
An enjoyable read. Mostly. I liked this, but the unnecessary profanity seemed to get in the way of the story.
Susan
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Colonel Fitzwilliam has known Charlotte Lucas since they played together as children, and as loved her nearly as long. But he needs a dowry, and she will not marry a soldier. As they meet again when she has married Mr Collins can there be a happy ending - we follow their story as the Colonel goes to war again - can circumstances bring them together?
Really enjoyed this story of the Colonel, one of my favourite characters. A very easy to read writing style, and an interesting story.
Keishua
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Loved the story. Thought it was unrealistic concerning the religious theology presented at times. The theology presented is very Protestant evangelical. Not Anglican or catholic...which seems more likely. Also, way too much religious talk.
Marie
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff, owned
A Moving, Spiritual Journey
This is a companion novel/variation to Pride and Prejudice. If you love Colonel Richard Fitzwilliam and Charlotte Lucas, you will love this story. Friends since childhood, they love each other but Richard knows, as a second son, he must marry a woman with a good dowry and connections. In conflict with his heart, he must separate himself from Charlotte. She must also be free to marry.

War and circumstances separate them for five years. Charlotte has married Mr. Collins.
Lisa  Montgomery
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Monette stays with the religious aspects of her writing in this tale, even having Colonel Fitzwilliam accepting a flogging for another man. But as I like stories about the good colonel, I devoured this one.
Virginia
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Tree of Life" was my first real Jane Austen variation so I was very excited to read it! I'm truly grateful to the author for writing this book because now I'm very excited to begin reading more Jane Austen variations. Hooray for Jane Austen Fans!!If you love reading Jane Austen's work and variations this is the book for you!

At first, I was very apprehensive because I was like who can beat Jane Austen!! But I really enjoyed Tree of Life because the author gave life to the characters and also the
Mary Dealing
Nov 26, 2015
Beckie DeCato
Oct 29, 2017
Estelle Reisman
rated it did not like it
Oct 04, 2020

• The Last Waltz: . . . another pride and prejudice journey of love
  • Murder at Netherfield
  • The Sole Love: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Intimate Encounters
  • A Rare Ability: A Darcy and Elizabeth Pride and Prejudice Variation (A Pemberley Romance Book 10)
  • A Beneficial, If Unwilling, Compromise
  • Anne's Adversity (The Cousins #2)
  • One Minute More
  • Particular Attachments (Particular Intentions Series Book 2)
  • Lost Souls: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • A Baby for Mr. Darcy: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Pride & Property: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Darcy's Redemption: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Unsent Letters: A Pride and Prejudice Novella
My life took a sharp turn in 2012. It seemed all at once my children grew up. And I discovered writing...

I'd been working at a homeschool consignment store, and because Pride & Prejudice is common fare for high school reading, we sold a lot of copies. My colleagues could not believe I had never read the book or seen the movie.

My boss loaned me the movies, and a few days later I slid the 2005 vers