Start by marking “Butternut Summer (The Butternut Lake Series, #2)” as Want to Read:
Butternut Summer (The Butternut Lake Series, #2)

Butternut Summer

(Butternut Lake #2)

Summer at Butternut Lake—a season full of surprises . . . and life-changing choices.

Preparing for her final year of college, Daisy is crazy busy now that she’s back
Published August 12th 2014 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published July 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Butternut Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Butternut Summer

Denise
May 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
So saccharine sweet it made my teeth ache and eye-rollingly trite. Anyone who knows me would be shocked by this review. I LOVE a nice story and sweet romances make me smile, so why did I dislike this book so much? There is a difference between sweetness and unrealistic naivete, between romance and just plain stupidity. As a "for instance", a beautiful 21 year old virgin, while probably not falling out of the trees, I can buy into. Said virgen who is in college, has had a normal dating life, and ...more
Andrea
I am such a fan of Mary McNear's Butternut Lake Trilogy. Book one, Up at Butternut Lake, was a big, rich story, focusing mostly on Allie and Walker, both reluctant to take another chance on love. Allie had great support in her friends Caroline and Jax. Knowing Caroline was getting her own book made me so happy. The fact her daughter Daisy was to be heavily featured made it all the more appealing. Butternut Summer is a romance two-fer. I'm not sure if I've read a novel with both a mother and daug ...more
Kate Olson
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it just as much as book 1 in the series! I'm now moving onto the novella in between this book and book #3 called "Butternut Lake: The Night Before Christmas - so thankful to someone on Instagram who told me about that one :-)
Natasja Drost
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Heerlijk feel good boek.
Andrea Guy
This is book two in the Butternut Lake Trilogy. If you are a fan of romances set in small towns, think Debbie Macomber and Robyn Carr, you will love these books.

In Butternut Summer we see the life and romances of a mother and daughter. We also get a cliffhanger ending that is making me wish for May of 2015, like right now!!!

But let's put that cliffhanger aside. (Well, I'll try) This book is about second chances and a bit of the old opposites attract as well as redemption.

I'm not sure which coupl
Cheri
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike the first book in this series, it took me no time at all to be invested in the characters in this book. Probably because I met most of them in book one, but I even fell in love with Will immediately.

Unfortunately, there was too much talk again. So, once again, my rating got bumped down from a 4 to a 3 star. Last time there was too much conversation between the characters that wasn't necessary (in my opinion). This time, there was WAY too much inner dialogue. It's a good thing Mary McNear
Karyn Niedert
I was completely charmed by this sweet little story about romance and family set in small town Minnesota. Main character Caroline is keeping ex-husband Jack at arm's length after he returns to the area. After leaving her and their daughter Daisy 18 years ago, he doesn't stand a chance of squeezing back into her good graces.

At 21, Daisy is falling head over heels in love for the first time in her life. Is bad boy Will what she wants and needs, or is he going to break her heart?

This story wove

Rating: 4
Review:

"Butternut Summer" by Mary McNear

Book Description....

"Return to the golden beauty of Minnesota’s Butternut Lake in this emotional story that vividly captures the joy and pain of first love, as a mother and daughter each come to terms with the desires of her heart.

Preparin
Alice Bola
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Butternut Summer is the much awaited second installment of Mary McNear’s Butternut Series. I am so glad it is finally here because I really enjoyed Up At Butternut Lake. Truth be told, Butternut Summer had some pretty big shoes to fill and although I didn’t think it was possible for the series to get better, Ms. McNear definitely delivers. Thankfully, there was no sophomore slump here.

Butternut Summer delivers two tremendous stories. We were introduced to Caroline in the first novel. As the own
Betty

Butternut Summer: A Novel (The Butternut Lake Trilogy)
By Mary McNear
Harper Collins
August 2014

Twenty-one year old Daisy Keegan is home for the summer before beginning her senior year at the University of Minnesota. Daisy works at Pearl’s, her mother’s café. When Daisy was three, her father, Jack, walked out on her and her mom, Caroline. Two years ago Jack contacted Daisy at school, and this past year Daisy agreed to meet with him. Jack has inherited a run-down shack and property from an o
Ilaria
Aug 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Le scelte della vita prosegue la storia raccontata nel precedente romanzo inserendo nuovi personaggi. Stavolta a essere protagoniste della vicenda sono Caroline e sua figlia Daisy. Caroline ha cresciuto Daisy da sola, ma l'improvviso ritorno dell'ex marito Jack, pentitosi di averla abbandonata, rimette in discussione tutto. Daisy è una ragazza posata, una figlia modello. Quando incontra Will, un ragazzo dal passato non proprio limpido e dall'animo ribelle, tutto cambia. Madre e figlia si ritrove ...more
Melodie
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First love and second chances are the primary focus in the second installment of the Butternut Lake trilogy.Caroline,the owner of the local diner and her daughter,Daisy share the romance spotlight.
Caroline has done just fine raising her daughter and keeping the popular eatery afloat.When her ne'er do well ex-husband returns town, she is a strange combination of outraged and curious. Of course, she is going to have absolutely nothing to do with him and wastes no time in telling him so. Much to
Anna
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's summer at Butternut Lake and love is in the air. Unknown to her mother, Caroline, Daisy has been meeting with her father, Jack, for the past year. Jack and Caroline divorced years ago due to Jack's cheating and drinking. Caroline has harbored a lot of resentment against Jack, but shielded Daisy from her anger. When Daisy invites her father to Pearl's, the dinner owned by Caroline for lunch, sparks fly. While driving to the fated lunch encounter, Daisy has trouble with her truck. When she st ...more
Brenda
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook-book
Although this is book 2 in the Butternut Lake Trilogy, it is a stand-alone read. This book takes place 3 years after the first one and the two main characters from the first one (Allie and Jax) make only a brief appearance in this one. The author does a better job of character development in this one, so I upped my rating from 3 stars to 4. I don't typically read many romances because too often romance=sex. This author tries to delineate the two with the way Will and Daisy each feel about their ...more
BJ
I read the first one in this series quite a while back and don't remember it that well, but I enjoyed this one. It is the story of a family finding their way back to each other and expanding to include new people. Jack and Caroline were married too young and had a child, Daisy. Jack left. Now Daisy is a beautiful, poised, 21-year-old who has allowed her father back into her life. She is soon to graduate from college and has her first serious boyfriend this summer, Will, who has not had a picture ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
I enjoyed this more than the first book of the series. I liked that in addition to the rekindled romance between Caroline and Jack and the new relationship between Daisy and Will, it was also a family story about Caroline and Jack and their daughter, Daisy, reconnecting and resolving past conflicts. I would have liked to see more of the characters from the previous book, but Allie, Walker, and Jax did make a couple of appearances which was better than nothing. I've decided to go ahead and contin ...more
Catherine Wang
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a "slice of life" type of book that I enjoyed very much. For me, this book was kind of a page turner. Although there was nothing spectacularly different about this book from other books, I was very sucked into the plot. Maybe it's because it's been a while since I've read a romance novel. This book was just a cute little read for me. It was refreshing and it helped relieve some of the stress I have right now by allowing me something to do other than assignments from school. I feel that t ...more
Chris
Apr 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Had to force myself to get to chapter 14 and couldn't do it any longer. I found this story to be boring. All of the main characters were annoying and I really didn't like any of them. None of the couples had any real chemistry between them at all. I listened to this as an audiobook and I found the narrator to be incredibly annoying and maybe because I hated the way she did the voices and pronounced words it tainted the whole thing for me. But I really didn't think there was much of a story line.
Tra Le Braccia Di Un Libro
RECENSIONE DI CINZIA
VOTO 4

Un'altra delicata storia sulle seconde possibilità per Mary McNear.
Uno dei personaggi di questa storia, lo abbiamo già incontrato nel precedente libro della serie, e si tratta di Caroline, che ha già raccontato molto di sè e del proprio passato.
Dopo il fallimento del suo matrimonio, è stata dura tirare avanti, ma con tanta forza di volontà è riuscita a rimettersi in piedi, per se stessa e per sua figlia.
L'unica cosa che non è mai più riuscita a fare è innamorarsi di nuo
Raffaella De Leonardo
Secondo libro della serie Butternut Lake.
Il filo conduttore di questo secondo volume sono le vicende di Caroline e della figlia Daisy.
Caroline è stata abbandonata dal marito Jack quando Daisy era ancora piccola e da allora non ne ha più saputo nulla. La sua vita da quel momento ha sempre avuto due unici punti di riferimento, la figlia Daisy e il Pearl's, il bar-tavola calda che gestisce a Butternut. Ed è solo dopo il trasferimento della figlia per frequentare l'università che Caroline decide d
Michelle
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The second book in the Butternut Lake series gives a more in depth story to Caroline and her daughter Daisy.

Three years have passed since the first story, Caroline is in a relationship with Buster and Daisy is almost done with college.
The story begins as Caroline's ex husband Jack comes back to town. He left when Daisy was only a toddler and his marriage with Caroline ended very badly.

Around this same time, Daisy sees an old classmate named Will. He was a bit of a bad boy in high school and Dais
Pam
Aug 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mcls-audio
I listened to the audiobook, which was well narrated, clear and easy to understand, although the Minnesotan accent was quite overdone. Both of the main story lines were forced, predictable and unbelievable. The sex scenes were cringe-worthy. Shallow characters, excruciatingly tedious dialog. I keep looking for a nice, warm story with maybe a touch of romance; Butternut Summer is not it. I enjoyed the first Butternut book more.
Ilse
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
oh jee ik heb een probleem
dit boek was veel te snel uit en nu zit ik op mijn honger.
Wat een leuke schrijfster, leuke schrijfstijl, leuke humor, leuke personages en zo kan ik nog wel even doorgaan. dit boek heeft alles wat het voor mij nodig heeft.
toch eens even piepen of deze schrijfsters nog van deze parels geschreven heeft.
Diane Sallans
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this book in the series a bit harder to get into, probably because it started off by featuring a YA romance (those aren't my favorites). But it also featured a second chance romance, so I was enjoying by mid-book.
Kathy
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Another boilerplate book. But sometimes I want to have something entertaining and not have to think about the plot twists. This book is good for light entertainment value. The author added more depth of story than the first book in this series. We’ll see if I continue.
Мариша
Малко по-разхвърляна от първата книга ми се стори, но е приятно продължение в същия стил.
Laurie
Jul 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
x
Genna Haddad
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed #1 in the series more, but I still enjoyed this one. I was disappointed that the two main characters/love story in the first one are hardly mentioned in this one. Easy enjoyable fluff.
Emma
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bello! Daisy e Will mi sono davvero piaciuti, meno i genitori di lei ma comunque il romanzo è stato molto scorrevole e avvincente
Sandra
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I find the Butternut Lake Series very interesting. I like the way Mary McNear draws you in to the story and characters. I always can't wait to read the next installment.
  • The Sheikh's Secret Babies (Bound by Gold #2)
  • The Seduction of Dylan Acosta
  • The Idea of Him
  • Christmas Wedding at the Gingerbread Café (Gingerbread Café, #3)
  • Stargazey Point (Stargazey, #2)
  • Wellesley Wives
  • Kelsey's Song
  • Betty & Veronica
  • Can't Stop Loving You (Forever Friends #1)
  • A Holiday to Remember
  • The Secrets of Married Women
  • The Sheikh's Unwilling Wife (The Desert Princes #2)
  • Local Knowledge
  • Independently Wealthy
  • Somewhere Between Luck and Trust (Goddesses Anonymous #2)
  • Little Black Dress
  • Christmas at the Beach (Ten Beach Road #2.5)
  • How to Bake the Perfect Christmas Cake
Mary McNear is the author of the New York Times and USA Today Bestseller Up at Butternut Lake, published by HarperCollins. Up at Butternut Lake was the first book in the Butternut Lake series. The second Book, Butternut Summer, is now available. The third novel in the Butternut Lake trilogy, Moonlight on Butternut Lake, will be published in May 2015. A novella, Butternut Lake: The Night Before Chr ...more

Butternut Lake (6 books)
  • Up at Butternut Lake (The Butternut Lake Series, #1)
  • Moonlight on Butternut Lake (The Butternut Lake Series, #3)
  • The Space Between Sisters (The Butternut Lake, #4)
  • The Light In Summer (Butternut Lake #5)
  • The Secrets We Carried (Butternut Lake, #6)
“was “Night Moves” by Bob Seeger. This, he” 0 likes