Start by marking “Choose the Life You Want: The Mindful Way to Happiness” as Want to Read:
Choose the Life You Want: The Mindful Way to Happiness

Choose the Life You Want: The Mindful Way to Happiness

What kind of life do you want for yourself? What choices will create this kind of life?
In his "New York Times"bestseller "Happier," positive psychology expert Tal Ben-Shahar taught us how to become happier through simple exercises.
Now, in "Choose the Life You Want," he has a new, life-changing lesson to share: Drawing on the latest psychological research, Ben-Shahar
Published March 18th 2014 by The Experiment (first published January 1st 2009)

Start your review of Choose the Life You Want: The Mindful Way to Happiness
Carol Smith
Disclosure: Won on GoodReads.

Admittedly defensive caveat: This is not my normal sort of book selection. I tend to be leery and dismissive of self-help books, but the crazy title grabbed my attention while perusing GoodReads giveaways, and then I became intrigued by the substantial street creds of the author. Dr. Ben-Shahar teaches positive psychology at Harvard, and it is the most popular course they offer in terms of enrollment.

Each "chapter" is just 2 or 3 pages long, and there's not much
Cody
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to read this book again and again so I don't forget the valuable advice I found on every page. I typically don't enjoy "self help" books but this book has been a joy to read and consider.
Gina
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written as an expanded list of 101 practical, mind-set choices we can make to increase our happiness. Most are nothing new— Rush to Give Advice or Listen with Empathy and Openness; Succumb to the Tedium or Find the Extraordinary in the Ordinary; Do What You Feel You Have to Do or Do What You Want to Do— but seeing them all in one place has a strange effect. Reading the entries was almost boring, and the advice seemed trite, and yet...

Somehow, holding a collective list of 101
Rubina
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite writers on positive psychology, Tal Ben-Shahar, has written another winner with this book. Ben-Shahar dispenses 101 nuggets of advice on how we can choose the life we want. Each nugget, about two to three pages, contain clear, eloquent strategies and advice. The only downside to the book is that with 101 bit of advice, some of them kind of overlap. I found that the best way to enjoy the book is to read it through, mark off those particulars chapters that have greater ...more
Uliana
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, personal-growth
It's a good book, but if you like me have read a lot of other books on self-improvement, then there's not much new things you find here. Still is is great to summarize what you've learnt and find inspiration for new things to try. It is a short, but inspiring read.
Castle Spooktacular
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
A really good read! Literally had 101 ideas on living a happier life by making small changes every day. Really enjoyed how short each suggested excerpt was, because it was easy to pick up and read a few in one sitting. Appreciated how it wasn't preachy or boring ( most self help books can be total snooze fests because the author just goes on about their own personal story, this one was not like that at all). Liked how the changes suggested are all things that we can do right now and in our own ...more
Daniel Dent
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
I was very disappointed with this book. The book is structured as many many ideas relayed quickly with small example stories. Because I had just finished "Pursuit of Perfect" by same author I couldn't help noticing the same stories repeating and the same ideas delivered in a less effective way. The rapid fire jumping from one idea to the next leads to a big lack of flow. Pursuit of Perfect excelled when relating material to authors experiences and own sense of wonder and learning. This created ...more
Elaine
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting this book to be as good as it was, probably because the cover wasn't all that interesting. But as I was thumbing through it before actually reading it, I caught a glimpse of what lay ahead- some common sense advice on living a fulfilling, better life, and some very poignant short stories to back up the professor's reasoning.
If you liked Chicken Soup for the Soul, you will like this one too... enjoy this with a steamy cup of tea or coffee, and feet up. It's worth owning.
Tracee
I won this book from the Goodreads first reads giveaway.

I enjoy self-help books, so I was excited about receiving it. I like that the chapters are short and straight to the point, and include a short story to drive the message home to the reader. I like to read a chapter or two a day to focus on the lesson. This is the kind of book I would reread and refer to specific chapters when needed.
Amy
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Amazing!!! I will read this many times over & carry it with me. I took my time to appreciate and love the words of this book. To incorporate into my daily life. I wanted to use the lessons and appreciate the wisdom to the fullest. This is a wonderful book that I will cherish and highly recommend reading. *** Please note I received this book for free from Goodreads First-reads.
Kate
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Accessible. Almost hokey is its style (first person then urban myrh sytle example) however its a great primer and I am goi g to give it to my tweens to read as I think they will get in and goodness knows I am already seeing that we could do wirh some self awareness and positive action to disciple self as we head into tbe teenage years...
Susan Adams
this really needs a 3.5 rating. I learned a lot, highlighted a lot, but would be better absorbed if read one chapter at a time (they are all short stories) so it would give the opportunity to absorb and apply.
Jasmine
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks for the book Goodreads. This is not something I ordinarily would have purchased, but I really enjoyed it. I really like the format in that there are actually 101 things and that they are listed out. Definitely worth a read if you are trying to better your life!
Juan Rodríguez
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book to see everything different

Great book, with a lot of chapters that explain in an easy and quick way and let you think how can you see life with a different perspective
Maria
Oct 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book should be called 'Positive Psychology for Dummies'. It's so superficial and basic that I had to double check it was really for adults. I'd say it's in the line of 'Don't sweat the small stuff.'
GONZA
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mindfullness really applied in everyday life. Pretty interesting and well written. I should remember to read it again from time to time, to fix some of its ideas in my mind.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND THE EXPERIMENT FOR THE PREVIEW
Heather Bennett
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Choose The Life You Want is a profound book to help you live a better life. The information is clear, concise and wonderful. This is a book that you can read over and over.
Glenda
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
101 easy to read chapters that are titled to reflect a choice in how to frame your attitude in a situation. There is a quote (some really good ones) that reflect the content, a discussion of the choice and then an example.

You could use this as a reference and read the chapters in any order of interest.

I particularly like this mention, and surprisingly it wasn't one I had heard before... "Cleverness is a gift; kindness is a choice. Gifts are easy; they are given, after all. Choices can be hard.
Nick
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book offering many small choices between the happier way to do things, and the more miserable way. The presumption is that if you make a number of the happier choices you will increase your sum total of happiness. Fundamentally, Ben-Shaher's point is that at any given moment you do have a choice, and in simply realizing that the key to avoiding a good deal of misery is to be found. Many of these small (and some not-so-small) items have rattled around social media for some time now, so ...more
Kristian
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Humanist Devotional

As I started this, I quickly realized that while is could fall into the "quick read" category, it is better digested slowly. I made it part of my morning routine, and read a "way to happiness" each day.

There wasn't anything mind-blowing in this book, rather, it delivers just what it advertises: a way to mindfulness. The book looks at your life, and your outlook on your life and circumstances, as a choice of perspectives; whatever is causing you anxiety or distress at this
Karen
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a review of the audiobook. I like the things Tal Ben-Shahar has to say, but as with the other two I read, while they are easy to listen to in the car, when there is something you want to remember, you can't write it down. Such was the case with the 3 I've read so far. Fortunately, with this title, I have a paper copy to look through as well.

The benefit of his books is that each concept - especially true with this title - is contained in a short chapter, giving you tidbits of information
Javier
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are reading this book it is probably because you feel like you need it. I certainly did. I actually quite liked the format of this book, a little blurb and then a little anecdote. I tried to take notes and ask questions that came up from my reading. Quite frankly if you are familiar with mindfulness this book will not bring anything new, but it is certainly a nice little refresher.

I really appreciated the honesty of the author too. It is too easy to think that people who do his job for a
Shannon Minninger
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each of the 101 chapters are written in a ‘do this’ or ‘do that’ kind of format pointing out that you have a choice in virtually every aspect of your day. The chapter titles set up the dichotomy, then a notable quote puts it in context, which is followed by a few short paragraphs explaining the dilemma and each chapter ends with a personal anecdote. There’s a lot of common sense reminders but it’s not preachy or over the top and it’s interesting to note the opposing choices in some situations. I ...more
Candice
The three best parts:
The story of the man who called his son, who was sitting across from him at the dinner table texting, because he wanted to talk to him.
The maybe-true story of Gandhi postponing for a month the request of a mother to tell her child to reduce his sugar intake because Gandhi himself was eating too much sugar.
And the story of a woman who calmly coached Sharon through a toddler temper tantrum. Turns out “Sharon” was the mother, not the toddler.

Gabby Rockhill
I could choose to wallow in misery or I could choose to change my situation.

I could passively go through life or I could actively participate.

I could continue forcing myself to listen to this audiobook that has no depth or anything new or insightful to say, or I could make better use of my time and find a more interesting audiobook.
Susie
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would say that this self help book had a lot of items in it that some people would take as common sense. For example, if you make others happy then you would be more happy. Also, there is 101 little quotes that are really nice to read but would definitely need to read it again because it’s a lot to try and take in all at once.
Alex
2.5.
The book is build from 101 tips, where each one is split into 2- around 2 paragraphs of describing what the author meant and another page with an example or anecdote.
I didn’t like the description but I liked some of the examples.
I felt that most of the tips were repetitive and probably were only 50 distinctive tips.
Stacey Hatfield
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book. I really did enjoyed reading it. It gave you all kinds of advise. For exam

This book gets this rating for it really explains the small choices it took for you to find happiness. You were more mindful.
Susy
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another self-help book filled with mottos. I was truly disappointed as I had been following Tal Ben Shahar's work closely and expected something deeper. I did not even read it all, which is pretty unusual for me...
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Science of Rapid Skill Acquisition: Advanced Methods to Learn, Remember, and Master New Skills, Information, and Abilities
  • Good Habits, Bad Habits: The Science of Making Positive Changes That Stick
  • Introvert Survival Tactics: How to Make Friends, Be More Social, and Be Comfortable In Any Situation (When You Just Want to Go Home And Watch TV Alone)
  • Be Unstoppable: The Art of Never Giving Up
  • Good Self, Bad Self: Transforming Your Worst Qualities into Your Biggest Assets
  • Running Man
  • Out of Our Minds: Learning to Be Creative
  • Oscar Wilde
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • TRACTION: How Any Startup Can Achieve Explosive Customer Growth
  • The Hidden Gifts of Helping: How the Power of Giving, Compassion, and Hope Can Get Us Through Hard Times
  • The Passionate Programmer
  • The Road to Sparta : Retracing the Ancient Battle and Epic Run That Inspired the World's Greatest Foot Race
  • The Miracle Equation: The Two Decisions That Turn Your Biggest Goals from Possible, to Probable, to Inevitable
  • Some Places More Than Others
  • Born to Win: Find Your Success Code
  • The Health Habit: 7 Easy Steps to Reach Your Goals and Dramatically Improve Your Life
  • The Infinite Game
Tal Ben-Shahar (Hebrew: טל בן-שחר, also known as Tal David Ben-Shachar) is an Israeli teacher and writer in the areas of positive psychology and leadership.

Tal Ben-Shahar taught at Harvard, where his classes on Positive Psychology and The Psychology of Leadership were among the most popular courses in the University's history. Today Tal teaches at the Interdisciplinary Center, Herzliya.

Tal
“One’s philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes. In the long run, we shape our lives and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And, the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility. —Eleanor Roosevelt” 8 likes
“Choice is creation. To choose is to create. Through my choices I create my reality. At every moment in my life I have a choice. Moments add up to a lifetime; choices add up to a life. What kind of life do I want for myself? What choices will create this kind of life?” 5 likes