Start by marking “Doing Germany” as Want to Read:
Doing Germany

Read Book* *Different edition

Doing Germany

This book is for anyone looking for an easy read and to laugh.

This laid-back, entertaining book is the story of this Polish-Canadian-lover-of
Published November 16th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Doing Germany, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doing Germany

Start your review of Doing Germany
Clare O'Beara
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe-fact, memoir
This is an unpretentious look at life abroad; specifically a Polish-born Canadian-resident Agnieszka who has spent time in Italy now moves to Germany. She fell for a German guy after a whirlwind romance, moved with him to Munich - nobody ever says they want to move to Germany, she adds - and describes her next two years during which she tries to learn German, injures her foot, marries and becomes a mother.

All this occurs without any support from good friends or family in the country, so the job
N.N. Light
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wanted to leave everything behind and immigrate to another country? I did and so did Agnieszka Paletta. She quit her job, left behind her family and friends and off she went. In this short travel memoir, we get an inside glimpse into her experiences as an ex-pat. We read her trying to adjust to her surroundings while tamping down the urge to return home. I laughed, I nodded my head in agreement and wanted to give her a hug. Being an ex-pat is tricky yet Paletta's wit and humor shin ...more
Caitlin Simm
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love real life books about travelling and that can relate
Recommended to Caitlin by: Agnieszka Paletta sent me a copy
Carole P. Roman
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-written memoir about a Polish born Canadian finding love and a new home in Germany. Agnieszka Paletta writes as though you're sitting together drinking wine or having a cup of coffee. In a gossipy tone, she describes finding her unexpected soul-mate one evening and relocating with him to Munich. She's observant and witty, with charming tidbits of life as a reluctant outsider. She is not happy in Germany, has preconceived notions of what life is like, yet over time she is seduced enough to g ...more
Lana ★
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Soobie's scared
Not what I expect; quite a disappointement if I may say so.

So, Frau Paletta, you really look like one of those Army wives that lives in my town. Married to their soldier and never out of the house by themselves. Because they don't know the language, because they're afraid, because they don't have any means of transportation. They just spend their days at home. I had an example right next door, begging me to drive her to H&M... Really, that's not what I want my married life to be.

Frau Paletta. y
RYCJ
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-keepers
The Good. The writing is high-quality...& let me slip in here...HILARIOUS... wit, and it continues from page to page. I mean, not a single page is missed, making for a delightful page-turning event.

The Mmeh Okay. The books is under 200 pages! I wanted to read Agnieszka for a lot longer.

The Best Part. Fantastic, from beginning to end, there is a lot to romance reading about how an engaging young woman found her prince and fell in love with “doing Germany.”

It really made me nostalgic thinking back
Pamela King
I found this book to be a disappointment. I was expecting a fun travel memoir but really all I got was a frustrated and, at times, bitter resident of a country that was not her first choice. She ends up living in Germany only because the man she marries lives and works there. It falls short in comparison to her home countries of Canada and Poland as well as Italy where she would prefer to be living.

I would not class this book as a travel memoir. It includes some stories about her time in Italy
Justyna
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, brilliant and soul touching book. Interesting story which takes you to all the nice and unique places the author mentions.
It is easy to read, funny and emotional.
The book shows the beauty of travel, discovering and experiencing the world on your own. The story influences and inspires you.
Definitely makes your reading more colorful and enriches your imagination. It takes you to the author's world and thoughts.
Beautiful story about finding yourself and your own place in the world.
Mary Lou
This was an entertaining light read. In the process, you can learn some tidbits about German culture. If you'd like to travel to Germany (or Italy as she also traveled there) but wonder if you will ever get there, this book is recommended. ...more
Marizela
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Doing Germany is a book for those who love adventure and thrill of the unknown, this story could be the inspiration for you to change something, to live the life you always dreamed of.

It's entertaining and easy to read. It takes you on a wonderful journey you will truly enjoy.
J
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jil
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review – Once upon a time in good old Germany
Once upon a time there was a young Polish-Canadian girl who fell in love with a fellow from Germany. Or at least one living there. Despite all of her adventurous travels she’s done so far on her own, falling in love for a – sort of – German unravels itself to be her biggest task yet. But let me go back a little further. Agnieszka is a courageous woman who left everything behind – family, friends, work – for the unknown.
“Finding romance, adventure, you
John  McNair
Although at times amusing and laughable, I found just too much of a glimpse of a naive and self-centered young woman to get much of of this book. But an easy read - two days will do it - and a style that is easy to follow (very conversational in nature, with explanations interspersed). One who has at least a smattering of exposure to German people and culture will find much that resonates, but I have 33 years of this (being married to a German but living in Canada) and at times could only shake ...more
Ladylike0
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deutschland mal ein wenig anders erleben

Klappentext:

„Agnieszka Paletta did what most of us only dream about doing - she quit her job, family and friends and travelled to live in a foreign country. And what's more, she did this more than once. Call it reckless or fearless, that is she. This laid-back, entertaining book is the story of this Polish-Canadian-lover-of-Italy's move to Germany, a new frontier. Through her eyes, discover the curiosities of her surroundings; love some and gape at others,
Reads A-Lot
“Okay. So here’s the thing: if you’re a woman, you can probably relate to dreaming about a life in Paris, Provence or some charming little vineyard in Italy. Dreaming about running away, starting over, leaving and never looking back. Finding romance, adventure, yourself. (If you’re a man you’re probably wondering why in God’s name women are so banal.) Well, would you believe I made it happen? Yap, I did. Out of the blue, I dropped everything in Toronto: my job, my friends, my family and bought a ...more
Don Sloan
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doing Germany is a book about a woman's struggles to come to grips with her adopted country (by marriage). It is, at once, a charmi, funny -- and yet annoying -- reminiscence by someone from Canada who has chosen to live in Germany, but cannot seem to figure out why (other than the fact her husband is there.)

Agnieszka is originally from Poland by way of Toronto. Her husband, only known throughout the book as "M" for some reason, is a banking consultant who was making a living working in Europe l
Thehappymeerkat
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free digital copy of this book from the author in return for a review. The following is my honest opinion on this book:

Moving to a new country, leaving behind your friends, family and old way of life can be hard but that’s exactly what Agniesszka Paletta did when she moved to Germany to be with the man she loves. In this funny memoir of her new life in a country where she can’t even speak the language you’ll find out what it’s really like to live in Germany through the eyes of someo
Gideon
Apr 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gideon by: http://www.agnieszkapaletta.com/doing...
I really wanted to enjoy this book but no matter how hard I tried the further I got into it it just became worse. It is structured like a series of blog entries (is that how it started?) with loose snippets and comments on life in Germany. Except that is exactly what it is not about.

The author followed her boyfriend (later husband) into Germany and spent the first year sitting in an apartment in Munich nursing an ankle injury. She ventures out on occasion and is astounded by mundane topics such
Bex
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews, arc-s
This is travel writing like you've never seen it before. Think Bridget Jones, but on holiday. The laughs are endless. And you know what, it turns out I had a lot to learn about Germany too!

Some of the key things you need to know about this book are that it's wonderfully written, witty and so addictive. I barrelled through it, stopping only for giggles, in less than a day. So it's a short read, perfect for a flight, that will keep you engaged.

The story? Agnieszka is a likeable character who is p
shehzad irani
Quite a disappointing book with a misleading title and a totally inappropriate cover, this one was a major disappointment as it ended quite suddenly, leaving you worried if it was what you paid for.
The author attempts stereotyping, travel humour and fails reasonably well. There is much about the rant of her ankle, the rant about she doesn't want to learn german, the rant about stereotypes, rant about her trying to find the perfect house..(don't we all need one??) but much less about how one wou
Kelly Gkountani
(I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. This is my honest unbiased opinion.)

A pleasant read that gives you the warm feeling of catching up with a friend over afternoon coffee/tea. It is more of a journal rather than travel writing. Unfortunately, the unsuccessful attempt to present it as travel writing is actually doing it harm as the reader is misguided on what to expect and thus left dissapointed.

The title says it all. A personal account of how Germany became a part of Ms
Hel
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
**I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review for the First Reads program. **
So, imagine you have this friend from college, and the two of you correspond, so you’re still close. She likes to pick up and leave at a moment’s notice and travel, and she has been ridiculously lucky in her life.
Are you picturing it? Good. That’s Doing Germany.
Agnieszka is your buddy on her journey through the intricacies of day to day German life. Let me give it to you straight up: this is no grea
Susan Bazzett-Griffith
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This memoir reads more like a blog than a book, which I think some people would enjoy more than I did. Paletta is a good writer-- her dialogue, some of her descriptions of places and events, and her unique perspective as an observer from a multi-cultural citizen-- these things are what make the book readable and enjoyable. That said, I found the book a bit slow and scattered, and I just wasn't that interested in what, despite ...more
Readgina
I actually like Agnieszka's casual style. This is probably how she talks, and I'm guessing she's a drama queen and likes to exaggerate to make the story sound better. She probably speaks German lots better than she lets on.
However, I really hope she is not advocating moving to a country and not learning the language. I don't care how many people in Toronto (or LA - my hometown can't speak English). You just miss out on so much and cannot communicate, for example, with doctors. Not everyone here
Charles Ray
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doing Germany by Agnieszka Paletta is a different kind of travelogue. Follow the adventures and misadventures of the author, a Polish-Canadian who loves Italy, as she leaves Italy with M after accidentally stepping on his toes in a crowded Italian night club.
Lovers of travel stories will be enthralled by this author’s view of an alien country, its differences and similarities to her hybrid native culture, and her responses as she learns to call Germany ‘home.’
This book will make you laugh until
Gina Hott
Like having dinner with a friend Doing Germany is an interesting and hilarious escape. As I read Agnieszka’s experiences I found myself yearning to see what she saw and experience the thrills of Germany first hand. I learned so very much – it’s so different and yet exactly the same. Don’t miss this adventure!
Tracey Lampley
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Right from the start, the author is chatty. This memoir keeps the pages turning. It makes you want to go on your own adventure. If you’re up for a memoir, this book is for you. I rate this book a four-star read.
Tracy
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Doing Germany is a collection of short essays presented in a linear timeline. Through the tidbits of information she shares and the outline of her experiences, readers will have an easy time connecting to Paletta."
Marcia Guimaraes
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-women
Simply hilarious! Couldn't put it down. ...more

• C.A.E.C.O. (Demon Accords, #15)
  • Boundary Broken (Boundary Magic, #4)
  • Mrs Hudson and the Malabar Rose
  • Mrs Hudson and the Lazarus Testament (A Sherlock Holmes & Mrs Hudson Mystery #3)
  • The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. (D.O.D.O. #1)
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
  • The Last to See Me (The Last Ghost, #1)
  • Narrow Margins - a laugh-out-loud book about life on the waterways (Narrow Boat Books)
  • The Toymakers
  • Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2)
  • Mrs Hudson and the Spirits' Curse (A Sherlock Holmes & Mrs Hudson Mystery #1)
  • The Scent of Rain and Lightning
  • Lonesome Dove (Lonesome Dove #1)
  • An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States (ReVisioning American History, #3)
  • A Fistful Of Collars
  • But Can You Drink the Water? (Droll, witty and utterly British)
  • Limelight (Penny Green, #1)
  • Helpless
Agnieszka Paletta (née Mroszczyk) was born in Cracow, Poland.

When she was 9 years old, her family moved to Toronto, Canada. She graduated from the University of Toronto with a double-major in English and Criminology. Various jobs followed, both in North America and in Europe.

Currently being a stay-at-home mom is her most important job, but she also pursues her dream of not just reading a mountain