Start by marking “Candlemoth” as Want to Read:
Candlemoth

Candlemoth

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  872 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
Daniel Ford has 30 days to live. Accused of the horrific murder of his best friend Nathan 12 years before, he has exhausted all appeals and now faces the long walk to the electric chair. All he can do is make peace with his God. Father John Rousseau is the man to whom the last month of Daniel's life has been entrusted. All the two men have left to do is rake over the last ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Orion Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Candlemoth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Candlemoth

Gail
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is little to say about this book (as I'm absolutely heartbroken and can barely see to type, if I'm honest) except to say it's just amazing, as are all R J Ellory books.

Briefly, we have the (just lovely) Daniel Ford who we know is on Death Row for the murder of his life long friend, Nathan Verney. Daniel and Nathan were inseparable throughout their lives and were like brothers.

Daniel is white and Nathan was black and in 1960's America it was a turbulent time for the long suffering black pe
Jennifer (JC-S)
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennifer (JC-S) by: fionnabhair@bigpond.com
Shelves: librarybooks
‘I have faith in the fact that I am going to die.’

It’s 1982 and Daniel Ford is thirty-six years old. Twelve years ago, Daniel was convicted of the murder of his best friend, Nathan Verney. In thirty-six days, he will walk to the electric chair and pay with his life.

‘I ask myself what life is, what does it mean? Perhaps nothing more than a story, and each story different and rare and pronounced with its own voice.’

Father John Rousseau has been assigned to talk with Daniel during this last perio
Trev Twinem
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
R J Ellory's books are about human nature and human emotion exposed....You cannot help but be touched and greatly affected by his writing long after the book is finished. What I find so powerful in this and other books is is depiction of childhood and how our childhood experiences stay and affect us all our lives. Candlemoth is about being on death row and the realization and inevitably of our own mortality, this is a great starting point to evaluate and make sense of our lives. Candlemoth is a ...more
Praveen Palakkazhi
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-reviewed
R.J Ellory has a curiously distinct voice which soaks the reader in a sense of melancholy and nostalgia, and which also elevates him above standard genre fare. His books can come under the category of Crime fiction, but there is a definite literary quality to his writing which can put him under the Literary fiction variety too. This is the second book of his I am reading (though it is his first published one) after the highly rated 'A Quiet Belief in Angels' and there is definitely a few similar ...more
Sonya Serial Reader
Ce livre n'est pas un thriller, ni du polar pur et dur..ce livre se rapproche plûtot du roman noir, mais à mon avis reste inclassable..
On se trouve plongé dans l'Amérique des années soixante et soixante-dix avec tous ses bouleversements: Le racisme, le Vietnam, l'Assassinat de JFK puis de son frère, le désespoir d'une nation, Nixon, la Watergate, le Klan, les complots et l'empire invisible...
On accompagne Daniel, condamné à la peine capital par chaise électrique, accusé de tuer Nathan son meil
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
Candlemoth is truly a phenomenal book that was gripping from start to end. Apart from it being quite predictable, I can't really fault it. The characters were well formed and the plot was interesting. I thought that the writing flowed smoothly and the transition from present day to past memories worked extremely well. I adored the symbolism of the candlemoth. This book works so well at delving deep into so many issues and could perhaps even be considered a bit of a history lesson (though certain ...more
Mohammed
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
For this kind of epic flasback story with so much emotions to it and with backdrop of important US history of 50s,60s etc the writing was not good enough for me to believe the personal story of the characters,the characters themselves.
John Gall
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Superb book, good storyline, beautifully written. I would strongly recommend this book, and very much look forward to reading more by this author who came strongly recommended.
Christine Bonheure
3,5 sterren. Dit debuut van Ellory vertelt over de vriendschap tussen blanke Danny en zwarte Nathan tijdens het Amerika van de jaren 60/70. De auteur vertelt meeslepend over het lief en leed dat beide vrienden delen, hun eerste stappen in de liefde en hun protest tegen de oorlog in Vietnam. Ellory weet de sfeer van die dagen – met de moorden op Martin Luther King en Kennedy - subliem op te roepen. Wanneer Nathan wordt vermoord, wordt Danny ter dood veroordeeld. In de dagen voor zijn executie ver ...more
Karpop
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Het verhaal van vriendschap en verraad is prachtig geschreven. De (ongelofelijke) geschiedenis vanaf de jaren 60 tot en met de jaren 80 is goed verweven in het plot betreffende de moord op Nathan Verney. De emoties voel je.
Ik vind het niet echt een thriller. Je bent benieuwd hoe het afloopt, maar spannend: nee.
De continue verwijzingen naar dat er iets staat te gebeuren, gaan op een gegeven moment irriteren.

Spoiler
Priester blijkt uiteindelijk undercover agent. Vader van vriendin - politicus - wil
  • Gin O'Clock
  • Go to Sleep
  • The Shadow Collector (Wesley Peterson, #17)
  • The Choice
  • Angels in the Snow
  • Heroic
  • The Quest for Juice
  • Dusk (Dusk, #1)
  • The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin, #1)
  • Death Message (Tom Thorne, #7)
  • The Son-in-Law
  • The Dead Tracks (David Raker, #2)
  • Burning City
  • That Burning Summer
  • Widows (Dolly Rawlins, #1)
  • Desert Run (A Lena Jones Mystery #4)
  • Heart of the Hunter
  • Bad Alice
Roger began his first novel on November 4th, 1987 and did not stop, except for three days when he was going through a divorce from his first wife, until July of 1993. During this time he completed twenty-two novels, most of them in longhand, and accumulated several hundred polite and complimentary rejection letters from many different and varied publishers.

He stopped writing out of sheer frustrat
More about R.J. Ellory...

“Truth is truth, you are who you are, and though your viewpoint might change, and though you might possess a different perspective about something, your heart and what you believe and who you are inside is only ever you...and you have to follow your heart, you have to believe what you're doing is right, and no matter what anyone might say or think or do you have to trust yourself to make the right decision.” 12 likes