Jump to ratings and reviews

Clone Hunter

A RACE OF SLAVES... Born in a laboratory for war or pleasure, they live as property, unable to fight those that oppress them . . . all, except one. A SINGLE CLONE REFUSES TO SUBMIT... One clone is no longer willing to live in slavery and has declared war on those that would subjugate her. Hunted by the most powerful men in existence and a threat to the social order, if she wants her freedom she must fight her way through bounty hunters, war machines, and the deadliest enemy of all: her own kind . . .

366 pages, Paperback

First published June 21, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Victor Methos

70 books1,367 followers
Victor Methos is the Edgar Award nominated bestselling author of over forty novels. He has been a criminal and civil rights lawyer in the Mountain West, conducting over 100 trials, and produces two books a year with his dog Fraiser by his side.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 27 of 27 reviews
Profile Image for Brian.
159 reviews2 followers
June 20, 2013
My first mistake was caring for the characters that are not the main character and then not caring for the main character. Given that the book follows three sets of characters and it is not until everyone else is dead, do you realize who exactly was the main character. My second mistake was reading this on the kindle, where the text was double spaced and each chapter started with half of a blank page (which had the side effect of making it difficult to know that we've switched characters, again). My third mistake was doing temperature conversions in my head. I probably misinterpreted the phrase, but one sentence reads like "the temperature jumped to over 300 kelvin". Gasp, 300 kelvin?! Yeah, that's about 80F, which doesn't sound nearly as impressive. Anyway, the book was an easy read, or else the lack of care would have lead me to do something else.
1 review
February 20, 2020
Old Si-fi fan

I like Mentos because of all the action. You don’t need to wait very long for something to happen. It’s like you jump from one action scene to another. Also si-fi takes me out of the real world for awhile.
6 reviews
April 18, 2020
The story was good, and I enjoyed the author's style, however, I did not enjoy the story being told in the first person from multiple characters. At times I felt it made it unnecessarily repetitive and confusing.
Profile Image for ally.
104 reviews
January 28, 2018
I read the kindle version. The story was ok but there were so many typos that I was totally distracted.
Profile Image for Cate's Book Nut Hut.
308 reviews27 followers
September 6, 2016
It’s a cliché I know, but to write this review caused me a lot of brain searching and even more cups of coffee until I finally came up with something that I felt were my accurate views on this read, and also did the book justice; the problem with this book, for me, was not that I didn't like it I just didn’t like all of it.

Written from at least 5 different points of view, this book is, for the main, very well written. The multiple perspectives add depth to the storyline but also cause a few problems too. As the action gains momentum it feels as if the Author loses their grip on the point of view from which they are writing and the result of this is that they have a tendency to backtrack over many of the scenes previously covered. The characters are written according to the point of view they are presenting, and their background and personality are adapted to suit this; unfortunately the reader never gains any grasp on the motivation behind any of these characters, but this could be an intentional move on the part of the Author, and hopefully all will be revealed in future instalments of the series. The reader is made, in some way, to care for the characters which is a good thing, but in doing this I found that I really couldn’t bring myself to have any connection with the main protagonist who remains hidden from view until almost the end of the novel.

With a compelling writing style the Author created a whole universe for the reader to immerse themselves in, but it was also this writing style that prevented me from absorbing it completely. Too many of the sentences started the same way and, after some time this not only became very monotonous but made me feel the Author had lost their way, or in the most extreme cases, was just CTRL- C portions of their work and editing a few lines here and there.

If you are looking for a gripping sci-fi read with lots of action and a story that will keep you page turning until the end, then this book is for you. If you’re looking for a book that is linear in its telling and non-repetitive; this may not be the book you’re looking for.
I would recommend this book purely because it is a good read, just don’t expect wonderful character development and you won’t be disappointed.

Originally reviewed on: http://catesbooknuthut.com/2014/01/13...

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Profile Image for Patricia Eddy.
Author 66 books676 followers
June 15, 2013
So this book is a multiple-POV book. I think there were 5 total. It was mostly well done. At the beginning, each POV was a good chunk and then they started getting shorter. I enjoyed the multiple perspectives, but there were a few issues with it as well. Towards the end, when there was more action, the author felt the need to re-hash many of the scenes from differing POVs. I understand the desire, because you miss out on a lot of perspective when you see a scene from only one POV, but it got a little distracting because we basically went through the action sequences as follows:

A to G from POV1
C-H from POV2
A-E from POV3
D to G from POV4.

So it was hard to get traction on what happened after that big scene.

Still though, the personalities were well developed. I enjoyed the action. I enjoyed hearing a little about the motivations of the characters, but if there had been only two POVs or the POVs had been done a little differently, I think we could have learned a lot more about the motivations in several cases. There was one point in particular where a character did a 180. We heard a single line about why, but we never got to hear that from that person's POV. I would have liked to see that. Still, enjoyable.
Profile Image for Erin Penn.
Author 3 books12 followers
September 21, 2013
At the end of the story, I really liked what I read.

The first Point of View switch was very jarring. The second was annoying because it was to a third-character, but by then I figured out the "chapter groupings" announce the character whose POV is at the top. I likely would have found this out faster in a paperbook and been happier about the POV switches. Then there are several POV switches where they scene is played from different standpoints - something I would accept if the POV provided some real differences in how the characters interpret the scene. As it is, somethings the reported dialogue is slightly different - not good enough to read 2 pages a second time. Oh, and the POV switch really doesn't go into the driving character choices, the characters basically sound and act fairly similar - though it does give you a feel of what each character knows when.

Yet, somehow, at the end book, I really like it. Can't really tell you why, but I did.
Profile Image for Krissys.
1,424 reviews87 followers
November 13, 2014
I can't post a rating for this book because I both loved and hated it at the same time. I felt that there was a lot that could have made it so much more better than it was but there were quite a few flaws that prevented me from being able to delve in and immerse myself in the world that the author did so well to create. You can tell that they put a lot of thought in it but the over all execution of dialog or the repetition from multiple views of the same scene or conversation wasn't needed but its cool that they thought to add the extra detail. The author could have added it a different way without interrupting so often just to back track to something they already touched on three or four times already.
Profile Image for Allan Ashinoff.
Author 3 books10 followers
June 1, 2013
I downloaded this ebook for free during an Amazon promotional period.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book until the story began to repeat itself almost word for word at the 60%, 75% and 86% points in the kindle edition. I do appreciate changes in the point of view in a story. But having to re-read the exact same moment (sometimes verbatim) over and over again really detracted from the flow of an otherwise compelling story. This was the sole difference between my giving this story three stars instead of four.
Profile Image for LeeAnna.
20 reviews
September 20, 2013
This book had such great promise. The author had a whole universe created that could have been completely absorbing. However, the writing style stopped all immersion for me. Almost every sentence started with "I.." And when the POV started to change this got unbearable. I am sad I wont finish thus book, since the plot seemed great. If it was edited someday and had more advanced writing, Id pick ut up for sure v
Profile Image for Jin.
10 reviews
December 15, 2011
I admit I was a little frusted at how short this first installment was (I wanted more). Given the short length however, I did find it well written, fast paced and exciting. Victor Methos has demonstrated and ability to engage the reading audience very quickly and thoroughly.

I will be adding this author to my "Follow" list.
Profile Image for Aisha.
336 reviews15 followers
October 3, 2013
This book was AMAZING. I was hooked from the first moment that I started reading it. I loved the different character viewpoints and how they all seamlessly intertwined to add to the overall story. There were a few spelling errors, but not enough to ruin my overall enjoyment of the book. I can't wait to read the next installment in this series!
Profile Image for Candy.
164 reviews
June 8, 2013
Lots of action. Karma and Ava best characters to me. I would have rated the book higher, but couldn't when the author wrote from each character's point of view on the same event. The problem was when he worded it almost the same from each it became extremely boring and a waste of time. This is a series but I will not continue to read it.
Profile Image for Devri Walls.
Author 10 books272 followers
June 29, 2013
Hmmm, well. I liked parts of it for sure, and the writing style I enjoyed. My problem came when we switched points of view and he copied and pasted the previous scene, switching minor parts. I had to reread several scenes several time. Obnoxious. Decide whose point of view you need that scene in and do it. A little overlap I can do but this was excessive!
Profile Image for Carrie.
136 reviews
May 22, 2016
This started strong, although a bit more gore than I expected. (But the eyes getting poked out is about my threshold for gore lol) Then when a major action piece began, we had to re read it from 4 different points of view. Why? It didn't add anything. It was annoying. Will I read more of the story? Probably. It was an interesting world and I like Ava.
Profile Image for Tyson.
3 reviews6 followers
October 28, 2012
Great book but way to short. I am really hoping there is going to be another book to finish this one off. I realize short stories are meant to be just that - short but I really wanted to continue reading and was disappointed when there was nothing left to read.
Profile Image for Cindy.
13 reviews
June 19, 2013
Blade Runner theme of clones "vs." humans with a few twists. Only a few grammar mistakes, which is not typical of the usual multitude of grammar mistakes in amazon free ebooks. Nothing too monumental, but nice light escapist read.
Profile Image for David Teachout.
Author 2 books13 followers
August 19, 2013
This demands more stories to further the world. Gritty scifi with great action, a gripping story and enough social commentary to keep the reader feeling like they're getting some meaning in the midst of the crazy good fun.
53 reviews
December 30, 2013
Was well written with a lot of action. Good and different story line with good characters. However there were quiet a few times that the story repeated itself from a different point of view. And that got old pretty quick. Will I be looking for more by V. Methos? I do believe i will.
Profile Image for Derek.
4 reviews
October 9, 2014
Interesting premise. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I did enjoy the multiple POV of the different characters. It's an interesting way to present the story as you don't really know who the most important characters are until the end of the story.
Profile Image for Nathan Hurst.
Author 3 books64 followers
September 23, 2012
Good book. Some great ideas but ultimately too short. Could really do with being a longer full ranging story.
Profile Image for James Kidd.
231 reviews
June 2, 2013
A multiple first person hard core SF tale. Clones and humans and ships and swords. Very readable, and the action flows,,but somehow not as good as I thought it should be.
Profile Image for Jess.
3 reviews2 followers
December 9, 2013
This book is pretty sexist and not well-written. I would recommend avoiding it, unless you have nothing else to read.
Profile Image for Tricia (McAllister) Houseman.
384 reviews12 followers
March 6, 2015
didn't like being dropped into the middle of a story, especially when they don't give you that much history. otherwise, it was a decent story.
219 reviews3 followers
November 21, 2016
Sci-fi Wonder

This author continues to amaze me with his versatility and range of talent. He delights his fans with magnificent works of art.
Displaying 1 - 27 of 27 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.