Start by marking “Blackfin Sky” as Want to Read:
Blackfin Sky

Blackfin Sky

When Sky falls from Blackfin Pier and drowns on her sixteenth birthday, the whole town goes into mourning – until she shows up three months later like nothing happened.

Unravelling the mystery of those missing months takes Sky to the burned-out circus in the woods, where whispers of murder and kidnapping begin to reveal the town’s secrets. But Sky’s not the only one digging
Published May 14th 2014 by Firefly Press

To ask other readers questions about Blackfin Sky, please sign up.
Kat Ellis Ha! I can't answer that as it would be too big a spoiler...although you could argue that Sky has already died when the story begins, so you can draw y…moreHa! I can't answer that as it would be too big a spoiler...although you could argue that Sky has already died when the story begins, so you can draw you own conclusions ;-)(less)

Start your review of Blackfin Sky
Jen
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a "first reads" giveaway on Goodreads.
The plot for this book sounded so intriguing that I was immediately drawn towards it and it didn't disappoint.
It's very impressive knowing that this is Kat Ellis' first novel.
From the start the story captures the imagination and continues to hold it until the very last page. I would urge anyone who loves YA, fantasy and magic to read this book.
I personally can't wait to read more from this author.
R.S. Carter
Blackfin is a strange town filled with strange people. It's a small town with big secrets. Although the people are used to strange events, nothing quite this perplexing has ever happened before.

Sky was a teenage girl who fell off the pier (or was chased off) three months earlier. But one day, she shows up at school as if nothing had happened. According to her, she's been going to school every single day since that fateful night of her birthday. Falling into the water was only a dream. But accord
Rusafa
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: c-young-adult
I just got this book in the mail the other day and I'm super excited to read it as its the first giveaway I've won. Many thanks to Firefly Press for sending me a copy.

Sadly I can't start the book now because I have exams going on. I'll read and review it ASAP after the exams are over.

You know how they say, that just before you go to sleep, the face of the person you see is the one you love the most? Well it doesn't exactly work that way for me.

Usually before I go to sleep, I get little bit
Fred
Feb 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There was barely anything I liked about this book!

This book is not particularly famous so I will give a quick run-down of the synopsis: this is a fantasy novel. It follows a girl named Skylar who falls from a pier and drowns on her sixteenth birthday and then three months later, she walks in through the school gates as if nothing happened! It follows her story along with her friends and family from there.
It is a YA Fantasy novel which focuses on magic and mind-access and many different twisted,
Luna
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“A wonderful, compulsive read.”
is what Yangze Choo says on the cover of Blackfin Sky and I couldn’t agree more. I don’t normally quote other people but this time I am, because I couldn’t put it any better and Yangze Choo is an amazing writer.

Here’s the thing, a lot of what I love about Kat Ellis’s debut I can’t put in this review because I want people to discover that for themselves. The book is addictive from the moment you begin reading.

Blackfin is a place I partly wish I could visit but also
Tatum Flynn
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Whoa, what a roller coaster ride! Blackfin Sky was an absolutely enthralling read. The town of Blackfin is a brilliant character in its own right, full of quirks and mysteries, and the story just piles twist upon twist and revelation upon revelation. Original, unpredictable, spooky, fast - paced and deliciously imaginative. Highly recommended if you're hankering after a refreshingly different kind of YA.
Colleen Fauchelle
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I feel very spoilt to have won this book through a Goodreads give away. I hope that the word gets out that this is well worth the read. I loved this story, it was easy to read and hard to put down.

Skylar has been dead and buried for three months when she turns back up at school in Blackfin. Everyone is shocked to see her and she is shocked to find out that she has been dead. So between her and her lovely friend Sean - who is a really supportive and caring young man. They have to sort out where S
Emma Adams
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Blackfin Sky by Kat Ellis has to be one of the most original books I've read in a long time! The setting and the creepy atmosphere drew me in, and the mystery had me guessing up until the end.
Sharon
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t sure that to expect after reading the back cover of Blackfin Sky.

Unravelling the mystery of those missing months takes Sky to the burned-out circus in the woods, where whispers of murder... but she’s not the only one digging up the past.
Nothing stays buried in Blackfin, a town that no one visits and no one ever leaves…

It
Simon Clark
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A received an advance copy of Blackfin Sky from the author.
Full review here: http://www.simonpclark.com/2014/05/re...

It's a fantastic read - gripping from the first page (where Silas, a disdainful haunted weather vane - yes, you read that right - catches sight of a dead girl who's not dead) to the last (which I'm not going to spoil for you). I finished the book yesterday and, I have to admit, took a longer lunch than I'm technically allowed. I was too wrapped up in the climax - and it's a good o
Kristin Antosz
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I'm giving this book 3.5 stars, even though I physically can't do that. In book report terms, I'm giving it a B+!

Also, is there a genre specifically for creepy circuses? Because I'm pretty sure they're the most terrifying things on the planet and there should be a genre dedicated to their horror.

Ellis's debut novel is an intriguing mystery with a hint of the paranormal. Fantasy? Paranormal. Sky shows up at school one day, which wouldn't be anything too out of the ordinary for a teenage girl, exc
Kimberlyϟ
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
'An engaging, richly detailed fantasy, full of magic and mystery...'
I recently went to a book signing at my local library about this book and decided to give it a go. I definitely underestimated this book when I first saw it, even though the cover is beautiful and it sounds FANTASTIC I just wasn't drawn to it straight away, however that was a mistake, if I knew how INCREDIBLE this story is I would have bought it straight away!
I read this within the period of two days it was that good! I love th
Tammy Farrell
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Atmospheric and Captivating.

Blackfin Sky is an amazing debut. Kat Ellis weaves together a spine tingling mystery set in Blackfin, a shadowy little town cut off from the world and filled with secrets just waiting to be unearthed. The story will make you shiver. The cloudy skies, dark forest, Blood House (‘cause all creepy houses should have names), a veiled circus, and the spectral observer watching the mystery unfold give this novel a very Gothic feel. But while the setting fascinates, the myst
Edel
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was really intrigued by the sound of this story and let me tell you the opening chapter was awesome. The main character Skylar drowns on her 16th birthday then turns up three months later, alive. As you can imagine it leaves you with plenty to wonder about. The town of Blackfin is where the story is set and it has an eerie feel to it, almost a presence all of its own. Nothing was quite as it seemed. The characters in the book were interesting and I desperately wanted to know more about Skylar ...more
Isobel
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book, it was well thought out, well written, gripping and unpredictable. The characters are loveable. Overall this was a brilliant read and EVERYONE needs to read this book.

I have never read a book like this and probably never will again.
Kate Ormand
A tangled mystery in an atmospheric setting. A real page-turner!
Kelsey
I debated on giving this book one or two stars, and finally settled on two, because I finished it. Sadly, 2018 seems to be the year for crappy books for me.

I will say that the plot kept me sort of intrigued, and I was truly interested in finding out the answers. A 16 year old girl dies on her birthday, but then returns 3 months later like nothing happened, and it's set in a town that has elements of magical realism? Sign me up. Unfortunately, after finishing this book, I really only have one wor
Faye
I really liked the first chapter. It had a circusy feel to it, and I was intrigued. However, it quickly turned into another paranormal romance story.

The main narrator was pretty neat though. She was bold, but not to the point of facepalming, stubborn, but not to the point of slapping her, smart, but realisticly. Sky wasn't the best main character ever, but she's better than a lot that I've read about. There's a huge mystery about what happened to Sky that night. I was really curious about how S
Dawn Kurtagich
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get this book before publication and I was NERVOUS to read it. I was worried, because Kat is my friend, and, well... what if I hated it? But I needn't have feared! Blackfin Sky is a masterpiece and I loved every second of it. My highest praise is that I HAD NO IDEA WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, but also, that it is unlike every other YA book I have ever read. Sky is a compelling character with an intriguing story (that scene with her in the grave... I still shudder) and each an ...more
E
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bea2014
Strange town where people take the strangeness in stride. Until Sky shows up at school one day, astonishing friends and family who thought she was dead. She remembers leading an ordinary life for three months. But now has to figure out what happened. And do the homework she missed. Reminds me of Welcome to Night Vale, in the acceptance of ghoulish weirdness.
I liked the specific touches of mythology, but could have used more time developing and exploring them. Stands alone, but I would read a se
Rhian Ivory
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this quirky novel and was completely swept up in the magical and sometimes creepy world of Blackfin. It reminded me at times of the wonderfully spooky world of Twin Peaks. Blackfin is a place where strange things happen and as the novel progresses the people that live there become stranger and stranger. I didn't know what to expect next but couldn't stop turning the pages as I became more involved in Sky's peculiar and beguiling world. I'm really looking forward to reading more from this ...more
tinabel
What an odd little novel Blackfin Sky was. A mixture of magical realism and fantasy, it’s about a town where the strange and unusual are a part of everyday life, that is until our protagonist, Sky Rousseau, appears in town after being dead for three months. Don’t worry, it’s not about zombies, it just has characters with telepathic and mind-control powers, others who can travel through time and space, a slew of ex-carnies, and some “normal” people thrown in for good measure.

Overall, it was a fun
Tiffany Guthrie
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
***ARC for Honest Review***

This novel intrigued me from the very beginning. I thought I would read it for a few days on my down time, but it was so interesting that I couldn't put it down and finished it within a day.I was constantly trying to guess what was behind the mystery of this small town and Sky's three month disappearance. In the end, I never guessed correctly.
Its hard to believe this is the authors debut novel. I'm very impressed and I look forward to reading more by her.
Carly
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
4.5 / 5 Stars! A gorgeously absorbing debut that has a lot of fab characters, hauntingly creepy scenes and an intriguing mystery. Lots of really interesting little quirks that make it memorable! Review to come...
Crystal O'connor
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a first reads giveaway.

I really enjoyed this book, and finished it in 2 nights, could barely put it down, and would look forward to a sequel.
Charley Cook
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Check out my video review to see why I rated this book 4/5 stars!
Teresa Barrera
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Skylar had died, drowned after going off the pier at her birthday party, or so everyone thought. Until she shows up 3 months later as if no time had passed.
No one knows what is going on, least of all Sky as to how she's alive and why she disappeared over the 3 months as well as who's body was buried in the place of hers.
The story kept me on edge wondering what was going to happen next. I enjoyed there was a bit of a love story between Sky and Sean, but it never overpowered the story as some boo
Sometimes impulse buys based on cover art pan out. This one has been on my shelf over a year, but turned out to be exactly what I needed right now -- light but intriguing YA fantasy. I love the nonchalant presentation of the town's fantastical quirks (sentient buildings, possessed weathervanes), and how that frames the current events that even the residents consider not normal. Reminded me a touch of Night Vale in that way. It was creepier than I expected, which resulted in my reading it pretty ...more
Nicole
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural, ya, fantasy
Cecelia
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you considered the elements that pull you into a story lately? I am always partial to a beautiful book cover, but I’ve noticed my reading taste changing, too. I am beginning to adore atmospheric magical mysteries, for one thing, and I’ve never thought of myself as a ‘mystery’ person. Before I read the summary of Kat Ellis’ debut Blackfin Sky, I had NO intention of signing up for a book tour. And then, somehow, I was hooked (like a fish on a line, she says, pun intended). Good thing, too, be ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Cherry
  • As You Wish
  • 26 Kisses
  • An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good
  • Little Daughter of the Snow
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • Starship's Mage: Omnibus (Starship's Mage, #1)
  • The White Deer
  • I giovedì della signora Giulia
  • Don't Say a Word
  • The Weight of Him
  • The Nest
  • Setting Free the Kites
  • Black Seconds (Konrad Sejer, #6)
  • Cassandra and Jane
  • Why We Can't Wait
  • A Lucky Life Interrupted: A Memoir of Hope
Kat Ellis is the author of YA novels PURGE, BLACKFIN SKY, and BREAKER, and the novella THE TWINS OF BLACKFIN in the THREE STRIKES collection. Her next book, HARROW LAKE, will be published in the summer of 2020.

You'll usually find Kat up to no good on Twitter, trekking through ruins and cemeteries with her camera, or watching scary films with her husband.