Start by marking “Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman -- Summary, Review & Analysis” as Want to Read:
Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman -- Summary,  Review & Analysis

SAVE TIME & UNDERSTAND MORE!

WARNING: This is not the actual book Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman. Do not buy this summary & analysis if you are looking for a full copy of this fascinating book, which can be found back on the Amazon search page.

Instead, we have already read Orange Is the New Black and pulled out some of the key points, story lines and
Kindle Edition
Published October 15th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Orange Is the New Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orange Is the New Black

Start your review of Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman -- Summary, Review & Analysis
Erin
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it

A nice little read, recommended to me by a work friend. When I began reading the book I hadn't yet seen any of the TV episodes, so was unaffected by the warping of story line or characters.

It was interesting, very factual. Not much embellishment, so it was a strain to read at times simply because there were several rather drawn out episodes to her prison life. But one thing that remained constant was her complete devotion to Larry, which was nice I
Peggy Farley
May 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Very disappointed in this book. Had a difficult time completing it and read three other books before I finished this one. I know it was a bestseller and there is a television show based on it but I found it boring. The author had little remorse for her crimes and she acted entitled. I actually believe she feels she is doing something beneficial for the judicial system or inmates with this writing but all that will happen is she will make money on the experience while we paid for her meals and ...more
Mitchell Rubin
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I haven't seen the television series generated by this book, but I understand it's hilarious. That's not the case here, this is a serious and highly introspective account of one young woman's experience with the Federal penal system. No sex, no violence, just quality narrative that will leave you wanting to change the system.
Alma
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was hard to put the book down. There's a lot to learn about life behind bars and the way our prison system works. The people who work there could do a lot more to help incarcerated women who are there doing their time. They inmates find ways to help each other and make the best of the situation.
Linda Buhman
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I knew it wouldn't be like the tv series; nothing ever is. But I wanted to read it well before the show came out. Well-written. But if you're wanting sex and violence (like the tv series), you'll be disappointed. Instead, it's a thought-provoking look at the waste of lives and a broken-down penal system.
Nancy
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really interesting look at prison system. Was curious how the tv series followed the book. There was definitely dramatization on the series which wasn't in the book but there are definitely stories straight from the book as well. Definitely worth a read!
Heidy
Apr 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
I I
Grace Justus
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Please do not judge this book by its TV projections. Fantastic read, not X rated.
Jaylene Westfall
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very good read. I really enjoyed this book.
Deb.mcquillangmail.com
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not your typical Smith graduate!
Bernadette
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
2015-07-16 started. 2015-07-19 finished
Nancy Smith
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very eye-opening. You have to admire her soul-searching and strength. It's a very sad commentary on our penal system, however.
Susan
Nov 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Too much bad language.
Georgia
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
I thought this book would be much better than it was. I did not like her life style when she was carrying drugs which she seemed to like ALOT!
I found her description of prison life unrealistic .
Tara
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Audiobook...great narrator
Sheri Babbs
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed it. It wasn't what I expected.
Faisal
Feb 17, 2014 added it
رواية جميلة جدا أنصح الكل بقرائتها
Kent Burt
Jul 27, 2014 is currently reading it
I watched the first two seasons on Netflix and thoroughly enjoyed it which motivated to read the book. So far so good.
Megan
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Terrific. But it's only a story because she a Smith grad. If not, she's just another felon. I can see that the TV show is probably great. Audio.
Jennie
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not what I was expecting with all the hype from the Netflix show. Now that I have the background I may give the show a try.
Rebekah Pipolo kent
Aug 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Quick and interesting read, even if you don't watch the show on Netfix. Obviously you have to have some interest in our Federal legal system, poor youthful choices, and non-fiction:)
Stephanie Duren
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read.
Bruce Luyendyk
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
The summary is really not necessary. The book is short enough and it's worth reading the entire text.
Katy Radder
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really interesting, as well as entertaining, book.
Brenda