Start by marking “Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal” as Want to Read:

Gold Medal Winner--Tops Sales World's Best Sales and Marketing Book

“Fast, fun and immensely practical.”
—JOE SULLIVAN, Founder, Flextronics

“Move over Neil Strauss and game theory. Pitch Anything reveals the next big thing in social dynamics: game for business.”
—JOSH WHITFORD, Founder, Echelon Media

“What do supermodels and venture capitalists have in common? They hear

Published February 18th 2011 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published January 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pitch Anything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pitch Anything

Louis
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Pitch Anything. and thought posting my notes here might be useful for some people. There's more detail in the book, but this will give you a good idea of what you're getting into.

Basics:
-Good pitching depends on method. It can be learned.
-Pitches are sent from the modern – and smart – part of the brain, the neocortex. But they are received by the old “croc brain.”
-This is not numbered based selling or being pushy. Both sides should leave happy and not feel like they were used o
Will Johnson
Dec 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-mba
To be honest, this book was nothing but the author bragging about how good he is at pitching companies for funding. All of his anecdotes surrounded his field of venture capitalism so this book doesn't generalize well to other fields.

The book is also poorly organized - in the beginning, Klaff makes mention of a system he uses but the book does not relate his advice back to the system he outlined for the reader.

The most annoying part for me was his take on "Frames" - i.e. the mental attitude / rol
Anna Lundberg
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blog post!

When I was growing up, I was very stubborn. I used to get incredibly frustrated when someone didn’t understand what I was saying. When my dad said no (he was also stubborn) without even listening to my very logical rationale. When my sister wouldn’t lend me her dungarees. When my teacher told me off. I knew I was right, so why weren’t they convinced?

So much has been written about effective communication. There is the statistic that your words only account for 7% while tone of voice con
Mario Tomic
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I read this book and it made a lot more sense then when I read it for the first time a year ago. I've been through a lot of books of sales and Pitch Anything is definitely one of the best. Even if you're not in sales I would highly recommend you to read this book, it will not be boring and the techniques presented in the book will help you understand the way people communicate on a much deeper level. Overall I'm glad I decided to read this book again and I'm sure it's not ...more
Gisela Hausmann
"Pitch Anything" is a highly entertaining read but does it deliver what it promises?... Not quite...

While the title "Pitch Anything" suggests that this is a book for everbody pitching anything, nothing could be further from the truth. I was expecting a system, which would be so good that it would teach how to pitch tooth picks or clay flower pots. Obviously there are sales people, who have to sell such items too. Or, how about pitching to your grandmother that she should leave a certain ring to
Jesse
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oren Klaff is in desperate need of A) an editor, and B) whatever is the opposite of an ego boost. He's one of the most unlikeable authors I've ever read, and that's on top of the fact that he can't write.

That said, the book does indeed contain helpful concepts for people who find pitching difficult to master. He presents (made-up) terminology to help categorize different types of social dynamics during pitches, and then discusses how to thrive in each of them.

To bring this book up to even 4 star
sevdah
The author of this almost insufferable book is the kind of guy that wants to impress the waiter at the restaurant by getting the most expensive wine on the list, and never realizes that the poor guy could not care less even if he specifically tried. The author is the kind of guy that, when asked "Can I help you" by a secretary, answers "I don't need help! Just tell me where the office of This and such is", because he thinks it makes him appear more powerful.

I mean. Wow. Some serious need to come
Jurgen Appelo
Great stories and challenging insights, brought with a refreshing dose of cheeky arrogance.
Amy
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although i do a fair amount of pitching, I've never really listened to others' pitches or spent any time in sales training. Mr. Klaff's philosophy makes sense to me and helps me recognize some things I can do better in my pitch storylines, but it also makes me grateful that I work in nonprofit industries and operate within real and ongoing friendly relationships in my business.
One thing i found somewhat off-putting is that the author seems to position the human interest and altruistic pitch ele
Lololita
Aug 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so poorly organized it's hard to get through. It's more anecdotal than instructional. But most of all it's self-congratulatory. The author is a big fan of...the author.
Ryzal Yusoff
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow! This is my first impression that I had when I first started reading the book and also the same impression I being left with when I finished the book. First of all, this book by Oren Klaff isn’t about some old business cliches or conventional sales techniques. Instead, he explains the revolutionary way of pitching by the method/instrument/attitude/term called “Frame”.

These are the example of frames:
# Power-busting frame
# Time constraining frame
# Intrigue frame
# Prize frame

Most part of the b
Jade
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Salespeople, Social Engineers, Sociologists
I won this book from Goodreads

Pitch Anything is not like any other book about pitching, selling or negotiating. Oren Klaff in this book outlines the basic core principles of human social interaction and how to analyze and take advantage of the basic instincts of other humans. It provides methods for tuning your language and information delivery to maximize impact by stirring peoples core emotions. Within the first few chapters I found myself analyzing my everyday social interactions and using
Gloria
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

It was okay. I think many people will enjoy it because he works through the material with his own personal experiences.

Have to say that his referencing is pretty weak, and he is clearly influenced by many of the other current, hot writers (Gladwell, etc).

If you are not already familiar with the idea, the most valuable thing is his application of framing and his specific application of framing (and countering frames) when making a 20 minute pitch.

Book needs to be edited and reviewed by the publ
Mohammad
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
موضوع این کتاب در مورد اینه که چطور می تونیم توی ارائه پیشنهاد و قرارداد به بهترین شکل ممکن ظاهر بشیم و بیشترین تاثیر رو داشته باشیم و به نتیجه دلخواه برسیم.
راه کارهایی رو ارائه می کنه که می تونیم با بهره گیری از اونها این کار رو به خوبی انجام بدیم. چهارچوب های ذهنی که توی این کتاب معرفی شدن، نه تنها در مورد فروش و ارائه پیشنهاد کاربرد داره، بلکه توی خیلی از موقعیت های اجتماعی دیگه هم می شه ازشون استفاده کرد.
توی کتاب خیلی تلاش شده تا برای مطالبی که بیان می شه رفرنس علمی بیاره اما بعضی جاهاش اصل
Romeu Lourenço
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must book for anyone looking to raise capital or wanting to learn more on how to pitch their products/service.

The concepts and techniques he talks about are not the salesy tricky techniques, he talks about macro and micro concepts that MATTER before and during the pitch.

Highly recommend!
Niels Mulder
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oren Klaff did a great job on explaining how the human brain works, and thus, how people perceive your message. He delivers a framework on how to shape your message for your audience and how to be persuasive in your pitch. All based on research how your brain works. Although he has a background in finance it’s applicable for other industries. Start reading today and change how you pitch forever.

We all think we can make decisions based our calm and analytical approach. This is nonsense! Our first
Alberto Quizon
A useful audiobook with some compelling presentation techniques. Once you ignore the terrible pop-science (hearing the phrase 'croc-brain' instead of 'reptilian brain' feels like nails on a chalk board every time he says it) it actually contains some great tools for pitching new ideas to clients. Unfortunately the badly interpreted neurology and psychology can be very distracting and really takes away from the credibility of the author. The author's professional experience would have been enough ...more
Benjamin Kuttner
This book is the real deal. The author is a maverick deal maker who offers some sound advice which can help amateurs get deals done. In reading I did get a sense that this guy is a bit of an artist, some of what he does is so impromptu, ballsy and creative ordinary people pitching just wouldn't be able to pull it off. Despite this, us ordinary mortals can still take a lot away from this book. I really liked the crocodile brain part - you can see this occuring not only in deal making but in relat ...more
Ильяс Джаз
Книга очень полезна будет для всех.
Очень хорошо раскрыта тема, того как человек принимает решение. Неокортекс, рептилии мозг, горячие и холодные когниции.

Но больше всего конечно понравилась играм фреймов. Ведь мы каждый день общаемся в каких либо рамках, а в книги рассказывается как ставить свои рамки и это очень круто.
Даже даются конкретные рекомендации, как это делать.

Конечно книгу можно было бы сделать и поменьше, но в ней много истории, которые укрепляют теорию.
Boni Aditya
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author has taken something very important and has created a very good model or framework to get it right. Every single time, by analyzing how our brain perceives value! How to get through the croc brain and how to use frames and stack frames in the right order to awe the audience. The author was extremely specific about how these tools can be used to elevate local status power for a few minutes/hours among those with power and those with intellectual arrogance! How to use push and pull to tu ...more
Tarek Omran
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pitch Training
SUPER WELL WRITTEN! Amazing stories and lots of suspense. What do you expect when a professional story teller decides to write a book.

It is really interesting to understand how most of my sales pitch were actually working. My key takeaway was about raising your value:
-Eliminate your desires. It’s not necessary to want things. Sometimes you have to let them come to you.
- Be excellent in the presence of others. Show people the things that you are very good at.
- Withdraw. At a crucial moment, when
Simon Eskildsen
Pitch anything is a book on techniques for delivering killer pitches. The author averages out at raising 2 million per week on average, while the book transcends into the ego of the author too much here and there, the stories are mostly helpful and make for a storyline. The organization of the book isn't the most predictable, but this is also biased by the fact I listened to the audio book (although I took notes as I was listening).

Pitching matters. It matters how much they like you, and how you
Tiago Soares
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I sell a product B2B and I was looking for a book that could help me to set up my presentation in a way that makes it enticing to the prospect.

This book definitely helped me with that, and I am now practicing my pitch based on the tips I got from here.

If somehow you are in a similar situation like me, I highly suggest you pick up this book.
Miha Rekar
Nov 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is exactly what’s wrong with the world / business today. A ton of pop-science, hacking your way to success, total focus on sales, instead of delivery,… It’s the exact opposite of my world view defined by Dieter Rams: “less, but better”.

That said, I still recommend you read this. Not as a recipe book but as an antidote to people who come to you with this frame of mind.
Adrian Luben
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent for pitch and also regular presentations!
Thibaut Meurisse
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Thibaut by: personalmba.com
Nipun Sibal
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast and easy read! What I learned from the book was how to pitch at any level. How to have that emotion connect with the audience and making them hear more from you.

There are some aspects which are Americanised and can be seen as arrogant or rude. So it depends which geography you apply the Klaff practices.

Recommended for people to get inspired and focussed.
Chris
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Pitch Anything, Oren Klaff mixes a good analysis of social dynamics with some amateur psychology to come up with framework for pitching business deals. Klaff is an investment banker by trade and draws on numerous examples from his career in finance throughout the book that bring his theory to life in a fun way that makes for a quick read.

Klaff's fundamental thesis begins with the assumption that all humans are wired to process new information in their 'crocodile brain', or 'croc brain', whic
Audiaa
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected to read about the STRONG method of pitching (which is displayed on the inside jacket cover) in this book, but it's really not described anywhere and hardly even mentioned in entirety inside the book. A few parts of this method are described individually, but not all of them, and at no point is everything brought together. I didn't really like the organization of the book - it didn't go through the method from start to finish. Instead different techniques were brought up to help with d ...more
Daniel
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very good insights, but the author brags about how good he is during the entire book. If you manage to not get annoyed by this, there is indeed some good basic advices for pitching meetings. Overall, worth reading.
  • Go It Alone!: The Secret to Building a Successful Business on Your Own
  • Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!: 4 Keys to Unlock Your Business Potential
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
  • Hire with Your Head: Using Performance-Based Hiring to Build Great Teams
  • Thinking Statistically
  • Accidental Genius: Using Writing to Generate Your Best Ideas, Insight, and Content
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • The Psychology of Selling: Increase Your Sales Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Financial Intelligence for Entrepreneurs: What You Really Need to Know About the Numbers
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
As Director of Capital Markets for investment bank Intersection Capital, www.intersectioncapital.com, Oren Klaff is responsible for managing the firm’s capital raising platform which includes both direct capital raising and deal syndication. Oren oversees business development and product development and is responsible for the firm’s flagship product, Velocity. He also sits on the investment commit ...more
“Money is never a prize; it’s a commodity, a means for getting things done. Money simply transfers economic value from place to place so that people are able to work together.” 2 likes
“As you share your story, there has to be some suspense to it because you are going to create intrigue in the telling of the story by telling only part of the story. That’s right, you break the analyst frame by capturing audience attention with a provocative story of something that happened to you, and then you keep their attention by not telling them how it ends until you are ready.” 2 likes