Start by marking “Round the Christmas Fire: Festive Stories” as Want to Read:
Round the Christmas Fire: Festive Stories

Round the Christmas Fire: Festive Stories

Oh the weather outside is frightful, so draw up a chair to the fire (an electric heater will do), get the chestnuts roasting, and conjure some festive feeling with the help of this seasonal selection.

On Christmas Eve it is traditional to scare yourself witless with ghost stories - classics from Edith Wharton and M.R. James should get you started.

Diary entries both real and
Published November 7th 2013 by Vintage Classics

To ask other readers questions about Round the Christmas Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Round the Christmas Fire

Noelia Alonso
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
OVERALL RATING: 2.5 STARS

The rating for each story (those in bold were my favourites):

'Oh, whistle and I'll come to you, my lad' by M. R. James -> 2 stars.
'Afterward' by Edith Wharton —> 2.5 stars.
'Jeeves and the Yule-Tide Spirit' by P. G. Wodehouse —> 3.5 stars.
'Dancing Dan's Christmas' by Damon Runyon —> 1 star.
'Morning Most Brilliant' from the Diary of Rev Francis Kilvert -> 2 stars.
'A Nice Boy' by George & Weedon Grossmith -> 2 stars.
'I Don't Know What's Happened to Chr
Maureen
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
A strong collection of stories from all sorts of top-notch writers, including Truman Capote, M. R. James, Edith Wharton, John Cheever and Nancy Mitford. I'm only giving it three stars rather than four because they're so top-notch I'd read quite a few of the stories already. The Truman Capote one was particularly lovely and made me cry a festive tear (on my way home from work. in January.).
Katie
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine
I really enjoyed almost every single story in this book. Every story is written by well-known authors from classics. The, sometimes even old fashioned, writing style really fits Christmas stories, in my opinion.
Rikke
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a treasure.
mpdg
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, owned
niecodzienna lektura.
większość opowiadań zupełnie do mnie nie trafiła - nie były śmieszne, zaskakujące ani straszne. w większości chodziło jedynie o klimat. kilka też było tak wyranych z kontekstu, że nie bardzo mogłam się w nie wczuć. wybór autorów trochę dziwaczny - jak dla mnie to nieznane, stare dzieła o których nigdy nie słyszałam (oprócz jedynie Dickensa i Adriana Mola - który nie mam pojęcia co robił pośród tej klasycznej mieszanki).

wydanie zaś jest absolutnie przepiękne - idealny preze
Wilson
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
A wonderful, diverse collection of short stories and extracts celebrating Christmas. The collection has a bittersweet edge, with the finest story in the collection A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote, almost certain to make you cry. While John Cheever adds his own sense of Christmas misery; leavened by the glorious humour of PG Wodehouse. The collection, bringing Charles Dickens, Nancy Mitford, Laurie Lee together, ends up being celebration of a tradition, of meals and families, even of the mise ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely collection of Christmases past. Vintage produced a thoughtfully curated sampling of stories, from classics like an excerpt of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol and the Gift of the Magi by O. Henry to lesser known diary entries and ghost stories. Dancing Dan's Christmas had me laughing out loud. This book was a calm respite that brought other worlds and families into my celebration this year. Recommended for short story and compilations enthusiasts, and for anyone who loves Christmas!
Hannah
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a Christmas present. It was a very enjoyable read over the Christmas holidays - a few old favourites like M.R. James'"Oh Whistle and I'll Come to you my Lad" (still scares the living daylights out of me!) and Laurie Lee's recounting of carol singing from "Cider with Rosie" really got me in the Christmas spirit. There were a few laughs too, courtesy of P.G. Wodehouse and Dylan Thomas' " A Child's Christmas" was wonderful. Great Christmas fare!
KristenRose
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is full of beautifully written festive stories. Some stories I preferred more than others but they are all worth reading. I kept a dictionary on hand as I came across a few older/unusual words- it is also a good book to read if you wish to expand your vocabulary. I recommend reading this collection of stories sometime leading up to Christmas.
Heather
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book of festive stories. Personal favourites were Dylan Thomas, Nancy Mitford and P.G Wodehouse but there wasn't a bad story in the whole collection. Perfect read for the Christmas season
Evelien
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brings into a christmas mood within an instan! Not to be read during summertime!
Gemma
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed about 75% of the stories. The remaining 25% weren't my cup of tea. Overall a very enjpyable collection of short stories to read at Christmas.
Ellen
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Liked more than I disliked! My favourites were the O Henry (which I had not read before though I knew the story and I am not sure how!) and the Truman Capote, which made me cry.
Pearl
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
That was just the most heartwarming, and amazingly christmassy thing I have ever read…EVER!!
Cecilia
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read during christmas time, I liked most of the stories very much. I'm looking forward to reading the whole of The Diary of a Nobody and some more P. G. Wodehouse soon!
Lee
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed a few of the stories, but a number were a bit of a drudge.
lauren
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is another collection of short festive stories by Vintage Classics - they also did one, Dickens at Christmas, which I read last year.

It started off really strong - I was enjoying most, if not all, the stories included. I found the writing engaging, interesting and I was eager to read more by the authors. However, towards the end, my interest started to falter. I found the stories difficult to read I don't know whether this was because I got a bad headache half way through and found it diffi
Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
Wow. I love Christmas. I almost love short stories. I however did not love this book. Three stars was actually generous. See, I’m no Scrooge!
Lotte
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great collection of holiday stories!
Natalie

• The Night Before Christmas
  • 40 Short Stories: A Portable Anthology
  • Dickens at Christmas
  • The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2014
  • The Old Magic of Christmas: Yuletide Traditions for the Darkest Days of the Year
  • Double Dutch