Start by marking “The Complete Little Women Series (Little Women, Good Wives, Little Men, Jo's Boys)” as Want to Read:

The Complete Little Women Series

(Little Women #1-3)

Louisa May Alcott (1832 – 1888) was an American novelist best known as author of the novel Little Women, Good Wives and the sequels Little Men and Jo's Boys. The first part of Little Women: or Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy (1868), is a semi-autobiographical account of her childhood with her sisters in Concord, Massachusetts. Part two, or Part Second, also known as Good Wives ...more
Published January 23rd 2013 by e-artnow

Start your review of The Complete Little Women Series (Little Women, Good Wives, Little Men, Jo's Boys)
Teresa
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Little Women several times as a child and then went on to read the rest of Alcott’s children’s novels, so I will count this volume as completely read, though I’ve only reread Little Women as an adult. My impetus for doing so was at the invitation of Anne Boyd Rioux to join a small group to discuss the novel.

When I started Little Women last month, I was struck by a couple of things I wouldn't have known as a child, even a child reading this for the first time in the early 1970s. First, the
Kathleen F
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, book-club
I hadn't read Little Women since I was about 12 (I read it multiple times when I was young.) It was surprising how much I had committed to heart! There were the same wonderful characters, scrapes and romances; but on this more mature reading of the book, what struck me most was the overwhelmingly moral tone. It didn't bother me as much when I was 12 and still in religion/CCD class; but in my late 30s it made me stumble a bit. (Marmee would definitely kick my ass if she lived now. I am a COMPLETE ...more
Merritt
Jul 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read all of these. Little Women is my favorite, Little Men is sweet, and Jo's Boys is wonderful, but very sad.
Michelle Streed
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read Little Women and Jo's Boys out of this series, but my favorite one is Little Women. I read Little Women for the first time during grade school and always can come back to this book for something new. I found a little bit of myself in all 4 March women and was able to relate to the sister relationship shown in this book. I like this book because it pictures the March girls over time, the good and bad times that they go through, and I always come to the conclusion that what is the end of ...more
Shannon
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
I love these books. There is so much in them. The hard choices that the family must make, their strong commitment to each other, the various paths taken by each of the girls - this series has real depth and describes the many ways that a woman is able to find fulfillment in life. I read it as a parable of true feminism.
Kenna
i read just little women as a child. i'd love to find little men and jo's boys too if i can
Zahwil
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this series to my kids, aged 9 and 10, over the summer and fall. Even with consistent daily reading it took several months to get through it all. Yet, we didn’t need to take any breaks and often it was me who had to declare a hard stop rather than yield to their pressure to read ‘one more chapter’.

They were enraptured by the tales of the March family: Marmee (Mrs. March), father, and their daughters Meg, Amy, Jo and Beth as they are raised in 19th C New England. The girls’ lives are
Em
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I've read Little Women many times, this was my first full reading of Little Men and Jo's Boys. The same humor, tone, and moralistic lessons suffuse both sequels. Little Men, published two years after the second part of Little Women, follows a few years after the events of the previous book with Jo and Professor Bhaer leading their young students at the school established in Plumfield. The cast of characters include the Bhaer's children, Meg's children, Amy and Laurie's daughter, as well as ...more
Emilie Milcarek
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read this since I was a little girl and it was wonderful. Completely held up to time even though I had forgotten a lot of the little stories between the large known plot points.
Janie Squier
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The More Things Change

Please don't pass these by because they're old, or you read them when you were little. These delightful stories- and you- deserve to be enjoyed even now.
The language is from 100 years ago. It’s good old American English, spoken by persons of privilege who could teach the one percenters of today a thing or two about wealth and its use.
Women balance domestic life, and the struggle for freedom in a society ruled by men. Blacks and the Irish are still servants when they
Andrea Stoeckel
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a favorite author of mine. It was one of my first books as a kid. However, at 50+,and a published poet myself, I can look back and see its flaws. That does not mean I love it any less, just that time has taught me how history may be seen as a background character.

I didn't know, until I took on the May Challenge ( as in Louisa MAY Alcott), that originally, what we know as Little Women Part 1 and Part 2 were actually two separate books: Little Women and Good Wives. It's been 40 some years
Melissa
My heart

I have two editions, the puffin in bloom edition and the penguin clothbound classics edition. I also have the Usborne edition which only includes part 1.

I love the first half of the book. I honestly got really bored the last 4 hours of the audiobook.
Zehra Jafree
now this may be really controversial but no one understands the extent of which I wanted Jo to marry Laurie... NO ONE UNDERSTANDS THE PAIN.
Angela
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read this collection between Thanksgiving and Christmas every year, and every year it inspires me and helps me mentally close one year and start the next.
Gilly-Bean
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've finally read one of the most popular classic, i guess i was the few who still had to read it and so i did, also because it's my mom's favourite book. I've already enjoyed Louisa May Alcott's writing in another of her work, tales for her neighbours' son and I appreciate her gentle-straightforward way to portray real life. Little women is indeed a flowing heart warming fiction about four sisters finding their place in the world, without neglecting and appreciating the value of family and of ...more
James
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little Women, an excellent book, fun, lovial, witty and a joy to read. Everything after this was a let down. The main criticism was that there is a lack of depth to these books, a lack of substance. Everything was quite superficial trying to live in a self contained perfect bubble wrapped world. Similar stories written by Chopin, Caldwell, Dickens and even Tolstoy shows the trial of human nature, looking for redemption and the joys of the lesson learned.

If we look at one of the characters; Dan.
Riya N.
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Louisa May Alcott has done a great job in engaging the readers with Little Women! The book walks you through the lives of four sisters, Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy. It talks about the difficulties, hardships and jealousy that they face and how they eventually have to overcome their jealousy in order to accept their life the way it is and lead a happy life. You actually feel as if you know personally know each character of the book. You share their joys and sorrows. There are a few plot twists that ...more
Myth
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An old classic that begged for a re-reading! I remember picking up this book from the school library back in high school for the first time, I slogged through it till midway and returned it back. However, coming back to it again, I can now appreciate the old-fashioned way it’s written in. The enchanting love and lives of the sisters. You’d soon feel the roller coaster of feelings immerse from joy to sorrow and empathy. The March family will certainly touch your heart and engrave in your memory ...more
Nicola Hawkes
Like many I read Little Women and Good Wives in my youth, and hadn't read the other 2. Little Women (along with What Katy Did) was our book group choice, so I was pleased to find the complete set on Kindle at a bargain price. The recent BBC dramatisation was wonderful, and I did enjoy re-reading the first 2, but the subsequent books although interesting were too moralising for me. But pleased to see some support for women's rights even back then!
Barbara Negus
Sermonising!

After watching a TV adaptation, I could not remember reading the later books in the series. So "invested" the princely sum of 49p on this set. I had forgotten how sickly sweet was the writing. But more to the point, the lack of any proof reading made reading a real chore. Every other sentence seemed to need a pause to think what word has been missed, or what should be here to make sense.I
No, for the young readers of today I would not recommend.
Hannah Belyea
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Follow the many misadventures of the March sisters as Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy grow in strength, faith and curiosity over four books, chronicling their youth to their parenthood and beyond, all while they hold together as a family through thick and thin. Alcott deserves great praise for her classic tale of sisterhood and faith with this collection of the "Little Women" series. How much trouble can four spirited girls get into before dinner is ready?
Kirsten Hardin
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Little Women, or the Little Women series in general, is described as a classic for a good reason. I can't tell you how many times I've read these books (well, Little Women and Jo's Boys certainly), and I still absolutely love them. Actually, it's because of these books that I want to read Pilgrim's Progress, ironically. Anyway, suffice it to say that they're amazing, and well worth the read.
P.S. I'm also surprised that more people don't know about Little Men. I liked it just as much as Little
Heidi
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read this so many times, but it’s been a few years and I had just watched the miniseries on Masterpiece. It’s wonderful, as always, and I find something new that applies to my life. The inner lives of the March sisters -their thoughts, feelings, dreams, and sorrows- are something I relate to even though I live in a completely different time and place.
Mommooshka
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite being written 150 years ago, this book is still full of relevant emotions, adventures, and morals. It is remarkably enjoyable and readable. It is also interesting to read bout life in the mid-1800s and how different some things were while others are remarkably unchanged.
Silverymoonlady
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful and emotional

What a joy to follow the path of Jo, her family and her 'boy's '
Alcotts feminism throughout was positive and encouraging and I recommend this classic to parents who like to read with their children... I read this with my 9 year old son.
L. B. Bugle
(Version: Puffin In Bloom, published 2014). I read this when I was in sixth grade at age 12 and thought it was boring. I actually never finished reading it. I bought it because I liked the way the cover looks. I really like the new movie of it that came out in September 2018, though.
Paul Jellinek
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those American classics I'd never gotten around to. It's well written and lives up to its reputation as a classic, although I found "Little Men" too sentimental for my taste and gave up on it after a couple of chapters.
Delia Turner
Some of this wears well

I read and re-read these books as a kid. Now, though, Little Women is readable but far too preachy; Jo’s Boys is utterly dreadful and deadly dull, but Little Men is still a delight.
Maegan Mariee
Such a cute, warm, family centered novel. I was able to get into it more once part two came around and I'm glad I didn't DNF because of the slow progress some of the chapters provided. But they made up for the slow pace in plot in short chapters.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Little Women (Puffin in Bloom) page number 5 13 17 hours, 5 min ago
you will have to use it in very low amounts 1 3 Nov 30, 2016 01:04AM

• Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Persuasion
  • La vita bugiarda degli adulti
  • Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre: Readers' Guides to Essential Criticism
  • Iris & Ruby
  • Princess of Athelia: An Unfinished Fairy Tales Novella
  • 西の魔女が死んだ [Nishi no majo ga shinda]
  • Le manuscrit inachevé
  • The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries: Bringing Jane Austen's Novel to Film
  • L'arte della gioia
  • The Florios of Sicily
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
  • Töchter einer neuen Zeit
As A.M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/

Little Women (4 books)
  • Little Women
  • Little Men
  • Jo's Boys
  • Good Wives
“ella misma fuera muchacho. Si los Laurence hubieran sido lo que Jo llamaba “tiesos y almidonados”, no se hubiera entendido con ellos, porque la gente así siempre la coartaba e irritaba; pero viéndolos tan francos y naturales, ella lo estaba también y les produjo buena impresión. Cuando se levantaron quiso despedirse, pero Laurie dijo que tenía algo más que mostrarle, y la condujo al invernadero que estaba iluminado en su honor. Era como un lugar encantado, con las paredes cubiertas de flores de cada lado, la dulce luz, el aire húmedo y tibio y las vides y plantas exóticas. Su nuevo amigo cortó las flores más bellas, y las ató en un ramo, diciendo, con mirada alegre: -Hágame el favor de dárselas a su señora madre, y dígale que me gusta mucho la medicina que me envió. Encontraron al señor Laurence de pie delante del fuego en el salón. La atención de Jo quedó completamente cautivada por un hermoso piano de cola, abierto. -¿Toca usted el piano? –preguntó Jo volviéndose a Laurie con expresión llena de respeto. -Algunas veces –respondió. -Hágame el favor de tocar el piano ahora; deseo oírlo para contárselo a Beth. -¿No querrá usted tocar primero?” 1 likes
“que no conmovieran, especialmente entre las enviadas a casa de los padres. En esta carta se decía poco de las molestias sufridas, de los peligros afrontados o de la nostalgia a la cual había que sobreponerse; era una carta alegre, llena de descripciones de la vida del soldado, de las marchas y de noticias militares; y sólo hacia el final el autor de la carta dejó brotar el amor paternal de su corazón y su deseo de ver a las niñas que había dejado en casa. "Mi cariño y un beso a cada una. Diles que pienso en ellas durante el día, y por la noche oro por ellas, y siempre encuentro en su cariño el mejor consuelo. Un año de espera para verlas parece interminable, pero recuérdales que, mientras esperamos, podemos todos trabajar, de manera que estos días tan duros no se desperdicien. Sé que ellas recordarán todo lo que les dije, que serán niñas cariñosas para ti, que cuando vuelva podré enorgullecerme de mis mujercitas más que nunca.” Todas se conmovían algo al llegar a esta parte, Jo no se avergonzó de la gruesa lágrima que caía sobre el papel blanco, y Amy no se preocupó de que iba a desarreglar sus bucles al esconder la cara en el seno de su madre y dijo sollozando: -¡Soy egoísta! Pero trataré de ser mejor para que no se lleve un chasco conmigo. - ¡Trataremos todas! -exclamó Meg -. Pienso demasiado en mi apariencia y detesto trabajar, pero no lo haré más si puedo remediarlo. -Trataré de ser lo que le gusta a él llamarme "una mujercita", y no ser brusca y atolondrada; cumpliré aquí con mi deber en vez de desear estar en otra parte -dijo Jo, pensando que dominarse a sí misma era obra más difícil que hacer frente a unos rebeldes. Beth no dijo nada, pero secó sus lágrimas con el calcetín del ejército y se puso a trabajar con todas sus fuerzas, no perdiendo tiempo en hacer lo que tenía más cerca de ella, mientras decidía en su corazón ser como su padre lo deseaba cuando al cabo de un” 1 likes