Start by marking “Russian Fairy Tales (Illustrated) (Fairy eBooks)” as Want to Read:
Russian Fairy Tales (Illustrated) (Fairy eBooks)

Russian Fairy Tales (Illustrated) (Fairy eBooks)

Several famous Russian fairy tales with color illustrations by Ivan Bilibin. The tales were recorded by folklorist Alexander Afanasyev, who collected and published more than 600 Russian folk tales in the middle 19th century.

*** Fairy eBooks series ***
This ebook features a colorful, full screen design optimized for Kindle Fire HD. It can be viewed also on Kindle eInk
Published December 15th 2011 (first published 1855)

To ask other readers questions about Russian Fairy Tales (Illustrated), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Russian Fairy Tales (Illustrated)

Start your review of Russian Fairy Tales (Illustrated) (Fairy eBooks)
oh carlyn what key
seriously there is nothing more weird and bewildering and beautiful than russian fairy tales. first of all the titles are incredible. "if you don't like it, don't listen" is a classic example. the way they end is my favorite part. often the story is clipped short by: "i was there, i drank mead with the king and it got in my beard but did not spill into my mouth." or other such brilliance. and baba yaga and her chicken-leg hut? don't even get me started.
Serena W. Sorrell
Hmm. Well. I liked half of the stories? But they got very samey after a while. And boy oh boy, are the names Ivan and Vasilisa ever popular.

All the Baba Yagas and creepy wooden dolls were the best. Also that gray wolf was a chill guy~ and why aren't women freaking out about falcons flying into their rooms and turning into beautiful men, or is this just something that happens in Russia?
rae
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am a sucker for fairy tales in general, but this collection gives me insight into gogol's imaginative workings... absurdities, odd, cruel, dry humor... and excellent illustrations to boot...
Sandra
The synopsis for this particular edition is, for some reason, in English instead of in Dutch - the reason I mention this is because the Dutch edition only includes 50 fairytales, and not the 200 promised in the English synopsis.

Russia has always interested me greatly, but I personally haven't gotten around reading any of the great classics just yet. I grew up with Russian folk songs (especially when a certain Belgian guy by the name of Helmut Lotti decided to record them as well), my mom loves
Janet
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russia
This is a vast compendium of folk tales (no fairies, really, in Russian folklore)... but they seem often to be the same story with various character configurations, having a hard time 'feeling' the subject matter. Think this is going to be more of a reference book than a 'read'. Think I'd enjoy a more realized version of the stories--like in individual picture books.

*************
As I go along, I find it's more engaging. I've found a better tempo, slower rather than faster.

**************
Russian
Ariel
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
man the Russians are depressing!
Monica
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is a collection Russian Fairy Tales. There is love, death, and betrayal, as with all good tales.

The narrative is detailed, vivid, often emotional, and evocative.

Characters are sometimes emotional, caring, and humorous.

Overall, a fun read.
Eva
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russkiy, fairy-tales
Here's a good list of things that will happen in a Russian fairy tale:
- Ivan is an idiot and will probably end up dying because of it. If he doesn't die, his two older brothers will.
- someone's limbs will be ripped off. probably multiple someones.
- Baba Yaga loves to chase people and have them do chores for her and then let them go
- there are multiple Baba Yagas
- at the end of any given story the teller will remind you pointedly that he hasn't had anything to drink
- the people who die are
Tom Lee
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully illustrated introduction to Russian fairytales. I only wish there were more than five stories to devour!
Lekeisha The Booknerd
I could read a whole book of Baba Yaga tales, alone, so to get one with a few about the infamous witch; along with other familiars is a treat. Most of the stories are new to me. More than a handful are the ones that I've heard about before, but this book is more accurate than anything that have passed through my ears, I'm sure. The more a tale passes through someone's mouth, the more elaborate they become. This was a refreshing course on classic Russian fairy tales that anyone can appreciate. I ...more
Riddhiman
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one volume of the collection by Afanasyev and contains 5 of Russian Folk/fairy tales narrated in a storytelling manner, i.e in a manner in which the stories used to be told orally, accompanies by nice illustrations. The premise of the stories is very similar to other famous European folk tales; I could see traces of Cinderella, The Frog Prince, Grimm's Fairy Tales etc. in them. But my greatest surprise was the story, 'The Feather of Finist The Falcon' in which I found a striking ...more
Katrina
This collection is a bit of a mixed bag. The illustrations alone - full page, full color - make this book worth owning (although I wish I'd gotten the hardcover) and it's fascinating to see the Russian versions of some classic folk tales. Plus there's an intriguing underlayer in some of the stories, where the women have full control over when and whom they choose to marry ("consent" is a sadly unusual word for fairy tales), and where a woman is the one to ride off to battle, leaving her husband ...more
Caitlin
This is an illustrated collection of five Russian folk tales: Vasilisa the Beautiful, Maria Morevna, The Feather of Finist the Falcon, The Frog-Tsareva and Tsarevich Ivan, the Firebird and the Grey Wolf. The tales were collected by Alexander Afanasyev, who collected and published a large number of Russian folk tales in the 19th century. The illustrations are by Ivan Bilibin, who was a well known Russian illustrator and stage designer around 1900. I'm not entirely sure why this is listed as an ...more
Ardyth
Fun collection of five tales, gathered and translated by Afanasyev (whose work was further adapted by Lang for the colored Fairy Tale books) in the nineteenth century. These are readable adventures with a good mix of heroes and heroines, and a great rhythm. By the end, you recognize patterns in the Russian storytelling style: three times nine kingdoms, journeys are short in the telling but long in the doing, etc.

You can find Afanasyev's full collection, and no doubt many of those stories are
MA
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A nice companion if you're reading The Bear and the Nightingale
Giulia
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently read these stories, and they're such a break from our usual Grimm's fairytales. The stories have a lot of similarities in their themes, but the magical realism, at times scary storylines and strong heroines make this enjoyable for everyone. Furthermore, the illustrations are divine!
hanna
Dnf 102/189 stories.
Nicki Markus
Russian Fairy Tales is a delightful and comprehensive collection of stories from Russian folk tradition. I had such fun reading them--a few each day--and comparing them with tales from other European traditions. It is interesting to look at the crossover and where differences occur. A brilliant book for readers of all ages.
Katie
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish there were more of them...
Valerie
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The language is a little stilted, but I loved this collection of fairy tales that allowed me to see some common threads in Russian Fairy Tales.
Matina Viola
If you are looking for something similar to Grimm's tales this is not what you are looking for. If on the other hand you are a big fan of Aesop's fables and faes you are going to enjoy it!!
Jude
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of tales was written, or rather, recorded by renowned Russian folklorist Alexander Nikolayevich Afanasyev in the mid-19th century. The book contains some of the best-known Russian folktales, including: Vasilisa the Beautiful; The Feather of Finist the Falcon; The Frog-Tsarevna; and Tsarevich Ivan, the Firebird and the Grey Wolf.

Of all the characters I came across in this volume, and there are a few who feature in more than one tale, I was particularly taken by Baba Yaga.

Baba Yaga
Bunny
Too weird. Even for me, who lives for weird.

I have to think a lot gets lost in translation. It just has to. I mean, they got married, and chewed bread for the rest of their lives? Do what?

And then the fairy tales aren't even well thought out. "They did this and this. And then something happened, and she turned into a dove."

"Something happened"? Literally? That's your great plot twist?

No. No, no, no.
J.Aleksandr Wootton
I purchased this for a course in Russian folklore I took in college, and recently re-read it. It's a longer collection than most (including Grimm's), offered without commentary, and very enjoyable. While sharing certain oratorical formulas with Scandinavian folklore (many-headed dragons v. many-headed trolls, Otherworld beings detecting hidden heroes by smelling Russian blood rather than Christian blood), there is a flavor to these tales that is distinctly Russian.
Kate
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An excellent starting point for anyone interested in fairy tales from non-western cultures; the differences between these and Grimm's are plainly apparent, but they're still familiar enough to be approachable without much need of explanation or introduction. There's a pretty broad mix of theme, and nearly all are appropriate for young children. I first ran across this book in a teacher's yard sale, and it's been a fast favourite ever since. I can't recommend it highly enough.
♥Mary♦Sweet♣Dreams♠Are♥Made♦of♣This♠
These fairy tales are so good that I enjoy reading them as an adult. You just can't go wrong with these Russian tales. My mom enjoyed them a lot when she was young and she got me to like them too. Our favorite tale is obviously the one with Baba Yaga.
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love fairy tales and this was a great book full of interesting, funny and sometimes tragic stories.
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mi Infancia
Danelle
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales, mine
Russian folk tales, like most other fairy and folk tales were an oral tradition. The interesting thing re: Russian fairy tales is that they were first recorded and published in English, in England.

This is the 4th(?) compilation of folk/fairy tales I've read. There are similarities across cultures in their fairy tales - most are associated with the stories of the Grimm brothers, as they are the most widely known: talking stoves, witches, talking animals (who all promise to help the human if
Doria
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful collection of Russian fairy tales, recounted in traditional style and adorned with evocative black and white illustrations. The narratives in this collection are almost entirely fairy tales, meaning that they mostly have to do with magic and fantasy, albeit in Russian style: travel to magical kingdoms to fight dragons, the rescue of princesses, colloquies with talking fish and impossible tasks set by Baba Yaga.

Women often suffer at the hands of men in these stories, particularly the
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Around the Year i...: Russian Fairy Tales, by Alexander Afanasyev 1 16 Apr 20, 2016 10:09PM

• The Complete Fairy Tales
  • Irish Fairy and Folk Tales
  • Fairy Tales
  • The Orange Fairy Book
  • Bulfinch's Mythology
  • Fearless Girls, Wise Women & Beloved Sisters: Heroines in Folktales from Around the World
  • Eyeshield 21, Vol. 1: The Boy With the Golden Legs
  • Japanese From Zero! 1: Proven Methods to Learn Japanese with integrated Workbook and Online Support
  • Genki I: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese
  • The Egyptian Book of the Dead: The Book of Going Forth by Day: The Complete Papyrus of Ani
  • ボルト‐ナルト・ザ・ムービー‐ [Boruto: Naruto za Mūbī] [Boruto: Naruto the Movie]
  • The Living Clearly Method: 5 Principles for a Fit Body, Healthy Mind  Joyful Life
  • The Blender Girl: Super-Easy, Super-Healthy Meals, Snacks, Desserts, and Drinks--100 Gluten-Free, Vegan Recipes!
Alexander Nikolayevich Afanasyev (Russian: Александр Николаевич Афанасьев) was a Russian folklorist who recorded and published over 600 Russian folktales and fairytales, by far the largest folktale collection by any one man in the world. His first collection was published in eight volumes from 1855–67, earning him the reputation of a Russian counterpart to the Brothers Grimm.