Start by marking “Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: Transforming the Buyer/Seller Relationship” as Want to Read:
Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: Transforming the Buyer/Seller Relationship

Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: Transforming the Buyer/Seller Relationship

The new way to transform a sales culture with clarity, authenticity, and emotional intelligence.

Too often, the sales process is all about fear.

Customers are afraid that they will be talked into making a mistake; salespeople dread being unable to close the deal and make their quotas. No one is happy.

Mahan Khalsa and Randy Illig offer a better way. Salespeople, they argue
Published October 30th 2008 by Portfolio (first published July 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play

Start your review of Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: Transforming the Buyer/Seller Relationship
Sachin Ganpat
One of the better sales books that I've read.

The book is clearly written to promote the authors' business, but it does not appear too salesy. It offers lots of great information.

While not much information is new and you can find it in many other sales books, what made this one clearly better is that they offer ways to address challenges. With suggested actions and scripts, you have a clearer idea of what to do and say.

I've read lots of sales books. They all come in two flavours - what to do to
Brian
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is the book that all of my business relationships are based on. I have a copy at home, a copy in the office and a copy ready to give away. I refer to what I take away with each read several times each day.
Enzo Santos
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for anyone in sales or customer success. It's about knowing how to qualify, validate and win a client. There are a lot of great tips but a bit too much of examples... if there were a bit less of real life examples that tried to explain everything, I'd probably give this book a 5.
Stacy
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was chosen for a book club discussion. Usually we read a book throughout the month before and then have the chat about it. Since the book is full of detailed, practical information, it would actually be one that is better to discuss by chapter. I found myself reading slower because I wanted to retain more of the information. It is a great reference to have and definitely a better way to be in sales. I can see the method as one to apply beyond the business-to-business relationship].
Tom S
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent sales book. The de facto reference at my company for sales people and it works really well.

Good ideas, well put together and good takeaways you can actually use. I particularly like the sound bites and "3 part response" I have used verbatim with a number of clients and they worked exactly as expected.
Wilbert Van Der Kruk
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent structured method for sales and consultative selling and early strategy analysis. I have sort of learned it by heart, having received training from the author (Khalsa) himself twice, listening to the audio book and training my colleagues in this method. I highly recommend it.
Brendan
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book on sales I've ever read.
Eddie Howden
Exellent. Truly the best training I have had for my sales career.
Kimball
This book focuses on sales, clients, and the beep beep customers. I thought it was a pretty good business book even though I haven't had read a ton in this genre but I am a businessman. This book kinda reminded me of First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently Now on to the notes:

As trust goes up, speed goes up, and cost goes down. As trust decreases, everything slows and costs rise. This applies to more than just business but in everyday relationships.

You're mo
Grant Varner
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about solution selling techniques.

Though some of the objection handling examples felt unnecessary and drawn out, the content is otherwise very helpful.

At a high level, Let’s Get Real Or Let’s Not Play explores the buyer/seller relationship in the following ways:

1) consultants and clients want the same thing (a solution that matches the needs of the client)

2) intent is more important than technique (i.e. you are more successful when you focus on the success of others)

3) solutions ha
Paul
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book probably needs a couple readings for all the concepts to sink in. It is mostly focused on selling in the world of consultants, but the principles are very valid for all types of sales. It is pragmatic and with the best intentions of the customer front and center. At times, the techniques feel manipulative, but if the user is true to the intent to serve and put the success of the customer first, it should not feel malicious.
Alex
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I've never really been into sales books. I always thought they fell flat and didn't really embody what I was about. If you are looking for the long sale and the relationship side of sales this might be a good book for you to read. It's really highly rated because of the ideas presented in the book. They are very different from a typical sales process and they definitely give different advice.

I appreciated that this book was in line with my values and what I am about.
Stephanie Bugge
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an incredible read which elaborates on the consultant/client relationship. It helps people better understand sales roles in the business world and gives valuable insight into the more empathetic side of how to approach a business to business sales. Definitely read, even if you do not have a role in sales because a lot of the knowledge learned in this book can be applicable to many other roles and industries.
Kuoman
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I got about 1/3 of the way in. There are some good points to it, but there were other things that I found myself wanting to read more. Seems like a good fit if you are doing sales (although we ALL do sales all the time). Seems like a good fit if you are doing the more traditional sales of services/product role.
Mark Smith
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read on Sales

This book is chock-full of truth; you could almost call it the no-bullshit of selling. I’ve read this book more than once and each time I return to it I find I learn more and more. For new salespeople that want to get it right start with this book.
Miranda
Had to read this for work book club. It’s better written than many similar I’ve read and I definitely gained some insights and approaches, even though I’m not in sales. Really appreciated the sample verbiage for tough convos. It does assume good faith on the part of all parties that I’m not sure always exists.
Pulak (Nick) Khurana
Awesome, real-world applicable advice on how to get to the heart of the pain you're solving for your customers. I feel that Khalsa underestimates how difficult it is to have the yellow-light-walkout mindset when you are working towards a quota, but outside of that he provides an amazing framework around the role of discovery in your sales cycles.
Smichaelmac
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
This was a revelation with many read throughs during the year. The concepts taught in this book will elevate any sales relationship to help both the Seller and buyer to identify more ways to reach value.
Vivek
May 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The techniques, structure etc suggested make total sense and very practical to implement on a day-to-day basis.
For a book that pushes for authentic conversation and advocating for the client it has a bunch of contradictory advice for employing chicanery, deflection to get what you want.
Jordan
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Value selling at it's finest. Put the client first. Will reread.
Mark Smith
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Good book. I've read many at this point so maybe that's the reason it didn't seem that hard hitting.
Pavel Hornacek
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so sad I have not explored this book 20 years ago when my Sales career started. Fantastic one
Jon Barr
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Takeaway: Cutting to the heart of the matter might be uncomfortable, but it will be better in the long run for everyone involved.
Amanda
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book with practical tips on enterprise selling and partner management.
Sean Larkin
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on selling
Benjamin Arp
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sales
This is one of the best B2B Sales books I’ve ever read. Highly recommend if you’re selling to businesses.
Tristan
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great if your a consultant.
Relationship building and selling on need/ pain.
Nagesh D
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for understanding and implementing a consultative mindset when talking with clients.
Josephine
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Work related book as I attended two days of sales training with the sales guys. Very interesting two days and the principles in the book corresponds well with what I believe in and hopefully also generate: Integrity and doing your job with a conscience. I really like the thought of transforming from the old-fashined and often negative word "sales person" to a "trusted business advisor". Key words for me: High-integrity, trustworthy & win-win relationships. As a benefit: Increased business opport ...more
Sarah Phillips
Apr 07, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Only read the first 50 pages or so thus far. This guy is full of himself! I had a hard time getting through the foreward. He gushed about himself and his impressive credentials until I hated him! Once I got into the content, this diminished. There seems to be some useful info, but we'll see as I continue.

• The Challenger Sale: Taking Control of the Customer Conversation
  • Fanatical Prospecting: The Ultimate Guide to Opening Sales Conversations and Filling the Pipeline by Leveraging Social Selling, Telephone, Email, Text, and Cold Calling
  • SPIN Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff
  • Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness
  • Demonstrating To Win!: The Indispensable Guide for Demonstrating Complex Products
  • The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business
  • Sales EQ: How Ultra High Performers Leverage Sales-Specific Emotional Intelligence to Close the Complex Deal
  • The Transparency Sale: How Unexpected Honesty and Understanding the Buying Brain Can Transform Your Results
  • Just F*ing Demo!: Tactics for Leading Kickass Product Demos
  • Selling to Big Companies
  • Every Time I Find the Meaning of Life, They Change It: Wisdom of the Great Philosophers on How to Live
  • Conjectures and Refutations: The Growth of Scientific Knowledge
  • The Daily Show (The Audiobook): An Oral History as Told by Jon Stewart, the Correspondents, Staff and Guests
  • Floating City: A Rogue Sociologist Lost and Found in New York's Underground Economy
  • The Answer Is…: Reflections on My Life
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Carrots and Sticks: Unlock the Power of Incentives to Get Things Done
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't

News & Interviews

“The client’s question, “Are we getting the best deal?” (price negotiation) is very different from “Can we afford this?” (value justification); it is important to understand the difference.” 0 likes
“Consultants, being the intelligent people we are, have formalized the guessing process; we call it a proposal.” 0 likes