Start by marking “Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: Transforming the Buyer/Seller Relationship” as Want to Read:
Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: Transforming the Buyer/Seller Relationship

Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: Transforming the Buyer/Seller Relationship

The new way to transform a sales culture with clarity, authenticity, and emotional intelligence.

Too often, the sales process is all about fear.

Customers are afraid that they will be talked into making a mistake; salespeople dread being unable to close the deal and make their quotas. No one is happy.

Mahan Khalsa and Randy Illig offer a better way. Salespeople, they argue
Published October 30th 2008 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play

Brian
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is the book that all of my business relationships are based on. I have a copy at home, a copy in the office and a copy ready to give away. I refer to what I take away with each read several times each day.
Sachin Ganpat
One of the better sales books that I've read.

The book is clearly written to promote the authors' business, but it does not appear too salesy. It offers lots of great information.

While not much information is new and you can find it in many other sales books, what made this one clearly better is that they offer ways to address challenges. With suggested actions and scripts, you have a clearer idea of what to do and say.

I've read lots of sales books. They all come in two flavours - what to do to
Stacy
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was chosen for a book club discussion. Usually we read a book throughout the month before and then have the chat about it. Since the book is full of detailed, practical information, it would actually be one that is better to discuss by chapter. I found myself reading slower because I wanted to retain more of the information. It is a great reference to have and definitely a better way to be in sales. I can see the method as one to apply beyond the business-to-business relationship].
Tom S
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent sales book. The de facto reference at my company for sales people and it works really well.

Good ideas, well put together and good takeaways you can actually use. I particularly like the sound bites and "3 part response" I have used verbatim with a number of clients and they worked exactly as expected.
Wilbert Van Der Kruk
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent structured method for sales and consultative selling and early strategy analysis. I have sort of learned it by heart, having received training from the author (Khalsa) himself twice, listening to the audio book and training my colleagues in this method. I highly recommend it.
Eddie Howden
Exellent. Truly the best training I have had for my sales career.
Brendan
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book on sales I've ever read.
Kimball
This book focuses on sales, clients, and the beep beep customers. I thought it was a pretty good business book even though I haven't had read a ton in this genre but I am a businessman. This book kinda reminded me of First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently Now on to the notes:

As trust goes up, speed goes up, and cost goes down. As trust decreases, everything slows and costs rise. This applies to more than just business but in everyday relationships.

You're mo
Alex
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I've never really been into sales books. I always thought they fell flat and didn't really embody what I was about. If you are looking for the long sale and the relationship side of sales this might be a good book for you to read. It's really highly rated because of the ideas presented in the book. They are very different from a typical sales process and they definitely give different advice.

I appreciated that this book was in line with my values and what I am about.
Stephanie Bugge
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an incredible read which elaborates on the consultant/client relationship. It helps people better understand sales roles in the business world and gives valuable insight into the more empathetic side of how to approach a business to business sales. Definitely read, even if you do not have a role in sales because a lot of the knowledge learned in this book can be applicable to many other roles and industries.
Paul
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book probably needs a couple readings for all the concepts to sink in. It is mostly focused on selling in the world of consultants, but the principles are very valid for all types of sales. It is pragmatic and with the best intentions of the customer front and center. At times, the techniques feel manipulative, but if the user is true to the intent to serve and put the success of the customer first, it should not feel malicious.
Kuoman
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I got about 1/3 of the way in. There are some good points to it, but there were other things that I found myself wanting to read more. Seems like a good fit if you are doing sales (although we ALL do sales all the time). Seems like a good fit if you are doing the more traditional sales of services/product role.
Smichaelmac
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
This was a revelation with many read throughs during the year. The concepts taught in this book will elevate any sales relationship to help both the Seller and buyer to identify more ways to reach value.
Mark Smith
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. I've read many at this point so maybe that's the reason it didn't seem that hard hitting.
Jon Barr
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Takeaway: Cutting to the heart of the matter might be uncomfortable, but it will be better in the long run for everyone involved.
Pavel Hornacek
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so sad I have not explored this book 20 years ago when my Sales career started. Fantastic one
Jordan
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Value selling at it's finest. Put the client first. Will reread.
Josephine
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Work related book as I attended two days of sales training with the sales guys. Very interesting two days and the principles in the book corresponds well with what I believe in and hopefully also generate: Integrity and doing your job with a conscience. I really like the thought of transforming from the old-fashined and often negative word "sales person" to a "trusted business advisor". Key words for me: High-integrity, trustworthy & win-win relationships. As a benefit: Increased business op ...more
Matthew
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
BRILLIANT. Anyone selling anything must read this book. Anyone running anything must read this book. A seminal sales training volume filled with insight into the value of properly qualifying, closing, servicing, and delighting your prospects and customers. I recommend this above anything by Zig Z. or Brian T. Seriously--it is that good.
Brittany Podolak
I had an opportunity to work with the authors of this book on a big project at work. The book lays out the foundation for an in-field training system for salesmakers. The premise of the book (and the system) is to focus on the customers' exact needs by spending much more time in discovery and less time "pitching". A must read for anyone in relationship sales.
Sarah Phillips
Apr 07, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Only read the first 50 pages or so thus far. This guy is full of himself! I had a hard time getting through the foreward. He gushed about himself and his impressive credentials until I hated him! Once I got into the content, this diminished. There seems to be some useful info, but we'll see as I continue.
Alex Fazel
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked the effective questioning section and closing lines... Very practical and superior to most other books in that realm.

Quantifying soft goals or services to better measure their ROI was brilliant too!

Worth reading for those working in sales :)
Thomas
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sales
interesting take on things, your boss won't like it.
Eddie Williams
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid read for servant hearted sales people
Keith Brooks
Wanted to like it and did on some levels but it left me with some good dogears so not so bad.
Paul Lanigan
The is the Sandler Selling System written by a client. The concepts are identical
Mohamed
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
If you are in a B2B sales role, this is a must read book.
I like the examples, they way the book is organized and definitely i will try the framework.
Bernard Fruga
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emphatic communication is the best selling tool.
Anubhav
Mar 28, 2015
Max Ruso
Jun 01, 2018
  • Adaptive Web Design: Crafting Rich Experiences with Progressive Enhancement
  • The Art of Significance: Achieving the Level Beyond Success
  • Prioritizing Web Usability
  • Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success
  • The 12 Bad Habits That Hold Good People Back: Overcoming the Behavior Patterns That Keep You From Getting Ahead
  • Your Next Move: The Leader's Guide to Navigating Major Career Transitions
  • How to Be a Power Connector: The 5+50+100 Rule for Turning Your Business Network Into Profits
  • The Joy of Not Working:  A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked
  • How to Get Your Point Across in 30 Seconds or Less
  • Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why: 10 Things You'd Better Do If You Want to Get Ahead
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
  • MBA in a Day: What You Would Learn at Top-Tier Business Schools (If You Only Had the Time!)
  • Analyzing Performance Problems: Or, You Really Oughta Wanna--How to Figure out Why People Aren't Doing What They Should Be, and What to do About It
  • The Spin Selling Fieldbook: Practical Tools, Methods, Exercises and Resources
  • The Execution Factor: The One Skill That Drives Success
  • Zero-Resistance Selling: Achieve Extraordinary Sales Results Using World Renowned techqs Psycho Cyberneti
  • Zen and the Art of Making a Living: A Practical Guide to Creative Career Design
  • How It Ended: New and Collected Stories
“The client’s question, “Are we getting the best deal?” (price negotiation) is very different from “Can we afford this?” (value justification); it is important to understand the difference.” 0 likes
“Consultants, being the intelligent people we are, have formalized the guessing process; we call it a proposal.” 0 likes