Start by marking “BOOT: An LAPD Officer's Rookie Year in South Central Los Angeles” as Want to Read:
BOOT: An LAPD Officer's Rookie Year in South Central Los Angeles

BOOT: An LAPD Officer's Rookie Year in South Central Los Angeles

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
"The Rodney King incident and the OJ Simpson trial brought the LAPD national notoriety as a police force out of synch with the city it polices. But is this force of 9,000 men and women really made up of mavericks and rogues? In this revised edition of a timeless true crime classic, rookie police officer William Dunn takes you inside that other LAPD, one where hard working ...more
Published April 27th 2008 by iUniverse (first published November 1996)

To ask other readers questions about BOOT, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about BOOT

Jack Oughton
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be an extremely well told and gripping look at the year in the life of a rookie policeman in the LAPD. I would not want to do what this man did - fascinating.
Emily Burkman
Jul 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this on a whim, it being the latest of my dad's Goodwill finds. I learned a fair amount of what goes into being an LAPD cop in the hardest part of the city. The prose is a bit stilted (referring to even his co-workers as "an Hispanic male" or a "black female" as way of description), but I'll forgive the author his cop-talk because, well, he's a cop! If anything even that idiosyncrasy teaches you something about the mindset and lifestyle of the police officer. The narrative is very matter- ...more
Andy
Mar 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty fun read and probably recommended for anyone who might be interested from the title. The cop was a lot more objective than he might have been and does not come off like too much of a jerk for an LAPD.

But HOLY CRAP did Ray Charles copyedit this book? The Crips were formed in 1950?! Really?! Come on man, I'm a white guy from Texas and even I know that the Crips weren't formed in 1950. Per wikipedia Raymond Washington wasn't even born until 1953. (I know, wikipedia is kinda goofy,
daniel
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
fantastic read!

This book is so great, it had me reading page after page. I was always excited to read the next chapter since every chapter brings something new with it. Im currently in college studying to join the Police force one day, and this read was really influential in enforcing my desires to join the Police force. I recommend this book to anybody interested in law enforcement, or even people who want to know more of the daily challenges that police officers go through.
Stephan
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was interested in reading this book because of the title. What an exciting experience it must be to be a rookie officer with LAPD. The perspective has its moments of humor and suspense, but mostly it flows at a slow pace and seems like just a jumble of old war stories. I still enjoyed reading this book and recommend it to anyone interested in working for LAPD, especially all the parts about how easily the department will "throw you under the bus" for dumb stuff.
Mike
Nov 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Straightforward and well-written book about being a cop patrolling gang neighborhoods in LA. Dunn tells stories well and obviously has a lot of source material to pull from, including a handful of stranger than fiction moments. I read this after reading a bunch of James Ellroy books and thought it was a good complement to his work.
Raymond Damian
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, I read this book at least 5 times and it kept me engaged every time.
David
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brisk read, Dunn is an excellent storyteller and the characters he meets on both sides of the law are fascinating. Very similar to the fiction of Joseph Wambaugh.
Ari
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. Gave me motivation to become a police officer. Very good account of life on the streets.
Daniel A.