Start by marking “Doctor Strange: The Oath” as Want to Read:
Doctor Strange: The Oath

Doctor Strange: The Oath

(Doctor Strange: The Oath #1-5)

Collects Doctor Strange: The Oath #1-5. Doctor Stephen Strange embarks on the most important paranormal investigation of his career, as he sets out to solve an attempted murder - his own! And with his most trusted friend also at death's door, Strange turns to an unexpected corner of the Marvel Universe to recruit a new ally.
Published June 6th 2007 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Strange, please sign up.
Agostina You'll miss some details and context but you'll understand the story. It's not the best description of the character tho

Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl)

Update: Okay, I had to bump this because I came across something while searching for Doctor Strange images on Google:

Ha! That is awesome!

Original post:

I admit that the main reason I picked this up at the library was because of this:

But I also like the idea of Dr. Strange's abilities. He's a mage, the "Sorcerer Supreme," can astral travel, go to different dimensions, levitate (his cloak is badass), put people to sleep just by saying "sleep." (That is way cool.)

Let's be honest, he is way cooler th
Kemper
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If your name is something like Stephen Strange then you’d almost have to be a superhero, wouldn’t you? Either that or Bond villain.

Dr. Strange is very upset to learn that his friend and servant Wong has terminal brain cancer and vows to use every mystical means at his disposal to save him. The cure he finds turns out to have much larger implications that threaten Strange both magically and physically.

This is one of those Marvel characters that I mainly know from his appearances in other books r
Bookdragon Sean
Doctor Strange has a great background story, a failed surgeon turned magician. His hands were ruined but his life wasn’t, so he threw himself into the mystic arts. And he has become surprisingly good at it. He looks rather cool too:

description

It’s a great premise, one that leaves the story really open. So why couldn’t the writers come up with anything better than a cure for cancer stumbling into Strange’s hands? It seems terribly clichéd. The cure is apparently the end to the world’s problems because clea
Anne

description

This book has been on my Want-It-So-Bad list since 2011, and yesterday I finally got to read it!

I should probably mention that I read these as single digital issues. From what I can tell, this volume doesn't have any extras anyway, so I don't think it matters.
But, you know, full disclosure and all...

I believe this is the only Dr. Strange solo title I've ever read, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Having said that, I thought this was reallyreallyreally good!
The art wasn't anyt
Dan Schwent
Wong has a brain tumor and Doctor Strange goes looking for a cure. What he finds is a cure to all cancer. Too bad Timely Pharmaceutical doesn't want the cure going public. Can Doctor Strange, Wong, and Night Nurse get the serum back before Wong succumbs?

By the Hoary Fucking Hosts of Hoggoth, this was the best modern Doctor Strange tale I've yet read. The Oath of the title refers to the Hypocratic oath Strange swore back when he was Doctor Stephen Strange, asshole neurosurgeon. Strange wrestles w
Paul E. Morph
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple of people recommended this one to me, so thanks, folks; I really enjoyed it.

I'm not a huge fan of Dr. Strange and part of the reason for that is that I prefer my characters to have a well-defined power set. Magic-users like Strange have a wibbly-wobbly set of abilities which usually consist of, well, anything the characters happen to need at any given time. This robs them of a lot of drama, in my opinion.

The writer of this mini-series counters this to an extent by giving the good Doctor
David Schaafsma
Dr. Strange was this arrogant doctor who lost the ability to do surgery because of an injury to his hands. He goes to a Tibetan guru, the (for lack of a better name) Ancient One, for healing, who gives him something better: Magic, which leads him to wear a lavish superhero costume, adopt an Asian martial arts sidekick named (one word) Wong, become The Sorcerer Supreme and Be Glam. We discover in this volume that Wong has incurable cancer, but this is a superhero comic, and, you know, magic. Stra ...more
Donovan

"By the hoary ***-ing hosts!"

Doctor Strange is awesome, with potential to be one of my favorite Marvel characters. And this was my first Doc Strange comic ever.

Vaughan is a fantastic writer. I've read Saga, Y, and Paper Girls, so I'm no "stranger" to his writing. While this doesn't allow him the freedom of a creator-owned comic, it's an extremely well-written mini-series, with sharp dialog, clever humor, and fascinating mysticism. The only thing missing is his obsession with sex and cursing.

I'
Sam Quixote
This is one of those reviews you read after you’ve read the book but if you’re just looking for a quick yay or nay take on this, I thought that Doctor Strange: The Oath was an ok-ish story for an ok-ish character. I haven’t read many Strange books so I can’t say where this one stands in his canon/continuity but it’s not a terrible read. Does Doctor Strange even have a great book – who knows? If you want to read a Doctor Strange book, I’d say this is the best I’ve read yet (out of the two I have! ...more
Sesana
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fantasy
I've encountered Doctor Strange here and there, but I've never gone out of my way to read one of his solo titles. But with Marvel actively working on putting together a Doctor Strange movie, it was obviously time to change that. I had no earthly idea where to go, but luckily some of my friends here on Goodreads have read this volume, and given it glowing reviews. Seemed like as good a place as any to start.

And so it was. Maybe longtime fans would disagree, but it seems to me like there isn't tha
Sud666
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been meaning to read The Oath for awhile now. I have always been a fan of Dr. Strange. Anything that has an emphasis on magic and archmages, in particular, have always been a favorite topic of mine. Thus it was with pleasure that I read this truly excellent Dr. Strange tale.

The Oath is a story about Oaths. The Oaths taken by doctors to treat their patients, Wong's oath of service to Dr. Strange, Dr. Strange's Oath to protect the world as Sorcerer Supreme, etc. The story starts with Wong bri
Terence
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Strange has been shot!
description
This occurred because Dr. Strange found that which shouldn't exist, a cure for cancer. His assailant stole it after shooting him. The Sorcerer Supreme found it after fighting a God to obtain a cure for Wong's terminal brain tumor.
description
Now time is of the essence as Dr. Strange, Wong, and The Night Nurse search for the culprit and the cure.
description

This is the first time I've ever read a Dr. Strange comic and I must admit I was impressed. The story was really well told and despite the
Gianfranco Mancini

A very nice Dr Strange story full of thrills, humour, twists and references to the origin and past of the character. The criticism joke to wizards' sexy dressed apprentices made me laugh for good and think to Mike Vosburg's baywatch-babe Clea in a late 70s Chris Claremont's Marvel Team Up that scared me a lot when I was a kid.

Maybe my most favourite tale of the Doc after the awesome Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment.

And all the Sherlock/Watson jokes made me think that MCU authors
Mike
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun
For me there's no more enjoyable comic opener than a dry humourous jab at the ridiculousness of the situations our heroes keep getting into. Vaughan kills it in the first two pages, and buys himself a lot of interest in seeing where he's really taking the adventure.

Vaughan gives Strange a real personality here - and Wong too! They're not just mystics taking the damned books so seriously, but smartasses of the highest order - Wong because he's been Strange's bitch forever, and Strange because he'
Scott S.
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Oh help me, dear doctor, I'm damaged . . ." - The Rolling Stones

From the opening scene - in which 'man Friday' Wong carries a bullet-wounded Stephen Strange into the Night Nurse's clinic - the story grabs you by your amulets and doesn't let go until the gloriously romantic and perfect final panel. Mystical action, drama, sly humor, character history and in-jokes (the names of the pharmaceutical company and the magical elixir) mix together into a potent and enjoyable little concoction. This conc
HBalikov
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Doctor Stephen Strange embarks on the most important paranormal investigation of his career, as he sets out to solve an attempted murder - his own! And with his most trusted friend also at death's door, Strange turns to an unexpected corner of the Marvel Universe to recruit a new ally."

Though published in the past 10 years, this is a "throw-back" series in its style mimicking the early Marvel Strange Tales and Dr. Strange comics of the 1960s. Just the refresher course I wanted before seeing the
Cheese
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apart from the infinity gauntlet omnibus this is the first complete Dr. Strange story I've read and also the first Brian k Vaughn book and I'm please to say I was hooked the whole way through.

All the characters were grounded it was very pleasant to read.

Loved the addition of hitlers gun! Awesome.
Bil
"I've sworn many oaths in my day, to every being from Hoggoth to Watoomb... but the first oath I swore was the Hippocratic." ―Doctor Strange

This limited comic book series follows the Sorcerer Supreme as he discovers an elixir than can remedy every single disease on the planet.

But when an unknown disciple of the Ancient One steals the cure for a pharmaceutical company, all but one drop is wasted, leaving Doctor Strange with a predicament:

Should he use the last drop and multiply it to save every m
Mike
For me there's no more enjoyable comic opener than a dry humourous jab at the craziness of the situations our heroes keep getting into. Vaughan kills it in the first two pages, and buys himself a lot of interest I seeing where he's really taking the adventure.

Vaughan gives Strange a real personality here - and Wong too! They're not just mystics taking the damned books so seriously, but smartasses of the highest order - Womf because he's been Strange's bitch forever, and Strange because he's bee
Max
FYeahDoctorStrange.tumblr.com

I don't know if that's a thing. But if it is, most of its pages should be this comic.

High octane Mastery of the Mystic Arts. Real stakes. Effortless thematics and plot juggling. Crisp characterization. Human beings who really like one another. Iron Fist! Night General Practitioner!

This falls under the same rubric as Ellis' Moon Knight, in a way: it's purely itself. It knows exactly what it is doing, and does it perfectly.
Elilith
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
El juramento nos presenta una de las historias del Dr. Extraño. Aunque no se basa en los orígenes propiamente dichos de éste superhéroe sí que te pone en situación si no conoces nada de la vida de este personaje, siendo fácil cogerle el ritmo a la historia. No obstante, puesto que no ahonda mucho en el proceso mediante el cual Stephen Strange se convirtió en El doctor extraño, yo recomiendo leerlo después de haber visto la película que Marvel lanzó el pasado mes de Octubre. Más que nada porque t ...more
'kris Pung
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a great book and I'm far from a Dr. Strange fanboy, truth be told I know very little about the character. BKV really drives home an emotional character driven story which really sucks the reader in. If your a Dr. Strange or BKV fan this is a must read in my opinion.
Lindsey Lynn (thepagemistress)
This was actually really intriguing for never having read anything Doctor Strange before. I love the backstory and it really helps me feel better about going to see the movie soon!
Hamidreza
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fantastic
Aaron
Doctor Strange has been shot, and Wong takes him to the private clinic of the Night Nurse, superhero medic. Strange has recently recovered a vial of elixir which was intended to cure Wong's cancer, but someone else wanted it more, breaking into Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum to steal it.

This is my second experience with Doctor Strange, and it was a good choice. Strange's past is briefly explored as his pre-magic days come back to haunt him. The stakes are interesting and Strange's almost fatherly r
Rizwan
Well that was, simply put, AWESOME! I am fairly new to the world of Marvel Comics, much more of a DC kinda comic-reader; but mainly because of the MCU movies (most of them are over all brilliant in my opinion, having an intricately planned and flawlessly executed step-by-step build up and continuity which I'm a BIG fan of as a serialized comic/series reader) for the last couple of months I'm seriously trying to rectify that. Which brings me to this Doctor Strange graphic novel, both to have a st ...more
Javier Muñoz
Esta es un buen cómic para introducirse en el mundillo del personaje, ya que explica su origen e introduce elementos de su pasado, además de darnos una buena idea de la relación entre el doctor extraño y su fiel ayudante Wong. La historia comienza cuando Wong lleva a su maestro a la consulta de la enfermera de noche tras recibir un disparo de un ladrón en su sancta sanctorum, esto desemboca en una colaboración entre los tres personajes al intentar recuperar el objeto del robo, una poción que pue ...more
Jessica
A perfectly cromulent Dr. Strange story involving the Night Nurse. Always odd to see a superhero wearing slacks. If you're a big fan of the movie, you could do worse than this, which gave me a feel for what the comics are like.
Keith
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After reading some of the current series out from Marvel, I decided to do some research and see what the best Strange tales (ha! sort of) were for me to get caught up on the character. The easiest to find was this one, so.

I'll say that this is the best thing I've ever read by Brian K Vaughan. I'll also say that this is only true by default, because Brian K Vaughan sucks. This is also the first superhero title I've ever read by Brian K Vaughan. It might be that his shitty writing, when not encumb
  • Doctor Strange: Season One
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Volume 2: The Seven Capital Cities of Heaven
  • Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment
  • Strange: The Doctor Is Out!
  • Doctor Strange, Vol. 1: The Way of the Weird
  • The Incredible Hulk: Silent Screams (Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection)
  • Captain America, Vol. 1: The New Deal
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 3
  • The New Avengers: Illuminati
  • Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 2
  • She-Hulk, Volume 1: Single Green Female
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo

Doctor Strange: The Oath (5 books)
  • Doctor Strange: The Oath #1 (of 5)
  • Doctor Strange: The Oath #2 (of 5)
  • Doctor Strange: The Oath #3 (of 5)
  • Doctor Strange: The Oath #4 (of 5)
  • Doctor Strange: The Oath #5 (of 5)