Start by marking “Senlin Ascends (The Books of Babel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Senlin Ascends (The Books of Babel, #1)

Senlin Ascends (The Books of Babel #1)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  4,671 Ratings  ·  884 Reviews
While honeymooning in the Tower of Babel, Thomas Senlin loses his wife, Marya.

The Tower of Babel is the greatest marvel of the Silk Age. Immense as a mountain, the ancient Tower holds unnumbered ringdoms, warring and peaceful, stacked one on the other like the layers of a cake. It is a world of geniuses and tyrants, of airships and steam engines, of unusual animals and mys
Published February 18th 2013 by Josiah Bancroft

To ask other readers questions about Senlin Ascends, please sign up.
Josiah Bancroft I'm so sorry, but I don't have any plans to produce smaller versions of the books at the present. Now that I know there's a demand, I'll start looking…moreI'm so sorry, but I don't have any plans to produce smaller versions of the books at the present. Now that I know there's a demand, I'll start looking into the possibility. Thank you for your interest in my work.(less)

Emily May
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Mark Lawrence
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
We MUST talk about this hidden indie treasure.

Over the years, I have read a lot of books. I've picked my way through the so-called "Classics", got lost in Fantasy and Science-Fiction, been taken to other times by Historical Fiction, stayed up late to find out the answers in the latest Psychological Thriller, fallen in love with Romance, and rode the wave of every YA trend. And yet, I have never read a book like this one.

Requests for indie/self-pub reviews come to me all the time. I usually take
Mark Lawrence
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. That was unexpected!

Senlin Ascends is one of the best reads I've had in ages. I decided to read it because one of the bloggers judging in my self-published fantasy contest had a very difficult time choosing between this title and another for the best of his bunch of 30 novels. In the end he went for the other book, which left me thinking that it was harsh luck to miss out by such a fine margin to a very different kind of story.

Anyway, I was dragged in and didn't escape until I'd finished t
Melanie
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melanie by: Mark Lawrence

Buddy Read with Petrik

This highly praised indie book series has recently been picked up by Orbit! After that news, and seeing the first two beautifully sitting on my shelf for far too long, I decided I wanted to experience this self published series before the year was over, but now I just want all the books immediately, because Senlin Ascends is a literary masterpiece.

“The Tower of Babel is most famous for the silk fineries and marvelous airships it produces, but visitors will discover oth
Petrik
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Steampunk fans
Shelves: owned-physical
4.5/5 Stars

Buddy read with my lovely friend: Melanie

Senlin Ascends is a definite proof that an indie work can be on par or superior compared to most published books in the market today.

I’m just going to say it right off the bat, the matter of fact is, not a lot of readers will spend their time reading indie works. It’s almost always a risky bet to dive into an indie book, most people don’t want to give it a try most of the time for a good reason, whether from their bad covers, cliché stories, my
James Lafayette  Tivendale
Josiah Bancroft's debut novel is a huge deal in the world of fantasy fiction right now. I truly regret being late to the party but can safely say the hype is well deserved. Seeing only unanimously positive reviews from my blogging peers, I had to check out this 2016 #SPFBO's entrant as soon as I could.

Thomas Senlin planned a seemingly perfect honeymoon at the magnificent, and world renowned Tower of Babel. Each level of the tower is a Ringdom- cities with different characteristics and unique as
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I'm not sure if this was the hype of the book, my mood, or the book itself. I'm going to to with my mood as I found a lot of the book very good. I did take a little bit to get into it but that was because of reading other books I do believe.

So here I am in the most unpopular opinion world. I do have some friends that gave it 2 and 3 stars but for the most part it's 4 and 5. I feel left out. I am going to revisit this book a little later to make sure it wasn't my mood because like I said before,
Jeffrey Keeten
”The handkerchief is the universal utensil of the seasoned traveler. It can be a sanitizing device, a seat cover, a dust mask, a garrote, a bandage, a gag, or a white flag. One may feel well-prepared with nothing but a pocket square.”
--Everyman’s Guide to the Tower of Babel--

Tom Senlin has dreamed about travelling to see the Tower of Babel, a marvel of the universe, for a long, long time. He is a headmaster and teacher, and so he is not a rich man and must rely upon the age old habit of saving h
☽Luna☾
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-books, fantasy
4.5/5

“I am the riddle in the mouth of the Sphinx. I am the slaver that chews the living chain. I am the farmer of dead seeds, the filler of holes. Who am I?”

Buddy read with this whacky squad - Dewi, Chumlee, Mantis Shrimp and Choko.

Let me just start by saying there's a lot of HYPE around how good this book is and I must say I fell victim to the HYPE and loved every second of it. Don't hate me because I'm hypey.
description
This book was whacky, fun, amazing and absolutely wonderful . I am actually so
Carol.
This was one of the most lovely books I almost didn't finish. To certain library books I must ask certain questions: are they worth overdue fines? Perhaps more importantly, are they worth negative karma when late? To both of these questions, Senlin Ascends is an empathetic 'no.' And yet, on the strength of dear Milda's love for the tale and her encouragement, I find myself disregarding my earlier decision to return it.

"You have no idea what the Tower will turn you into!" Tarrou laughed and swatt
Samir
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hype is a bad thing. It raises expectations and sets the bar high so there is only one possible outcome; it gives the book a polarizing effect.

I wanted to find out is the hype around this book justified and when I was done reading it there was only one answer: I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the book (hence the four stars) but I don't think of it as one the best I've read or that was amazing as most of the reviews show. But it is certainly different. In a good way.

The story begins with
Petros Triantafyllou
When I first laid eyes on this book, I felt that it isn't my sort of thing. I knew that I wouldn't like it.
When I witnessed all the recent hype about it, I thought that it would be short lived. I knew that I wouldn't like it.
When I was given the first book, I felt compelled to read it, but still, I was sure that I wouldn't like it.
I liked it...

Senlin and Marya are newlyweds on their honeymoon. What better destination could they chose than the Tower of Babel; an immense building of unknown high,
Esmerelda Weatherwax
Ah yes, the book that began my love of indie writing – I read this book a long time ago before I really had any kind of reviewing style. It was a short paragraph about me ranting “THIS BOOK IS AMAZING, BUY IT”. So, I’m redoing the review to give it the fleshed out review it deserves!

Plot:
Senlin and his new wife are going on a honeymoon, he takes her to the Tower of Babel which is a very popular tourist spot. The pedestrian traffic around the Tower is immense, and so is the Tower itself. It would
Paul O'Neill
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You need to read this! Don't read the blurb, dive in blind (which is the best way to read any book).

This is one surprisingly awesome adventure through an entirely original world. It is hard to compare it. I'd describe it as a fantasy, high speed thriller. Also made me think of charlie and the chocolate factory for some reason.

I will definitely pick up book two soon and this author deserves all the props for writing one of the best books I've read this year.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Well Well Well This Didn't Go Quite As Planned Surprise Surprise Buddy Read (WWWTDGQAPSSBR™) with My Dearest of Wives, The Ex Noob, The New Noob and The Girl with the Mostest Awesomest Name Ever

DNF at 69%. 256 pages that felt like 10,589. Go me.

Actual rating: 2.5 stars. Yeah, I'm generous like that.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I DNFed read this one wrong.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know that this overhyped book is one glorious masterpiece of originality and creativity (view spoiler)
Choko
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, steam-punk
*** 4.35 ***

A buddy read with my friends @ BB&B! Because we love great writing!!!

What a great find! When I decided to join on the buddy read for this book, I had only seen the beautiful cover - I miss this type of art on the currently publishing trends .. I had no idea what the book is about and from the name surmised that it must be about the strife of humanity to reach g-d like power. So, being a reader who is up for anything, I thought it looked interesting and after all, what could it hu
Kitvaria Sarene
This is one of the books that make me wish for more than 5 stars to rate it.
For me, rating it is as hard as it was with Name of the wind - not because it is in anyway similar to that - but in not being able to actually say just WHAT I enjoyed so much.

Trying to summarise this book is impossible to me, as it would sound boring and long winded... But it wasn't! I devoured it and it was so hard to put it down at bedtime or the end of lunchbreak, I might have been a tiny bid tired at work each day ti
Milda Page Runner

Whoa! Senlin Ascends or does he? Is he just shedding the shell and Breaking Bad? What a journey and what a transformation.

Gorgeous writing, original world, that is as beautiful as it is cruel, creative and intricate mechanisms. Plot that is both comic and tragic and philosophical filled with unique imagination and breath-taking adventure. Loved it!

This is not a light read. There are certainly some dark and painful moments along the way. But it’s never hopeless and has sparks of humour in unexpec
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, adventure fans
This is a shortened review. If you're interested in this book, read this on my blog. And I mean YOU. Because I had wayyyyy too much to say about this book for Goodreads. You will be missing a good chunk.

Things this book has:

✓ Fast paced action
✓ Character development
✓ Adventure, plots and deaths
✓ The unmasking of dark human nature
✓ Wonderful, colorful yet very realistic characters

At first, it was hard reading this book, because it is just.. ruthless. It's kind of hard to get through that. But the
Celeste
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, literary
4.5 stars, rounded up to 5.

“What if?” questions make for the most interesting stories. What if you could attend a school that could teach you the mysterious art of magic? What if dragons were real? What if we’re not alone in the universe? What if swords could talk, and their sass could not be contained? Or, in the case of this book, what if God never destroyed the Tower of Babel and it became the center of civilization?

Bancroft did a wonderful job weaving his tale of Thomas Senlin, a school Hea
Ivan
I'm definitely on board the hype train for this series.

Senlin Ascends is an indie adventure set in very unusual setting. I like weird settings and I have read decent amount of adventures set in all kind of imaginative worlds so why is first Book of Babel as good or better as best of them?Why is this such an easy 5 star when this "just" an adventure book? Well in short it does everything it set to do incredibly well.

Bancroft's writing is top notch and every dialog, monolog and description is joy
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I can't believe it! I have finally won a Goodreads giveaway!!
Orient
Well, I can proudly say:

I have one really great person to thank to. Evelina, you are great, thank you for the rec to read this book. I started my journey with Senlin in a massive BR with great people, like our emotional founder Lee, my awesome BR friends Caro, Milda, Sarah, Sam, Efka, Choko and other great people. And as always ended up the last one to finish, but with great support from my amazing gif Sensei and awesome BR partner Craig. Thanks you

"Senlin Ascends" is an extraordinary fantasy
Alissa
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Other reviewers stated this book is a shining gem and I can't but wholeheartedly agree with them. It's an unusual fantasy and I was engaged from the start, with the description of the main characters, their honeymoon and the lively throng of people blotting the rail tracks to the marvelous Tower of Babel.
There is no infodump, every piece of the puzzle comes naturally and flowingly. "The dry air was as hot as fresh ashes.". In a simple, pithy sentence, it's encapsulated the image and the smell of
~Dani~ LazyTurtle's Books
UPDATE 1/29/2018: We now have a podcast review for Senlin Ascends! Check it out on iTunes, here, or on your preferred podcatcher app!

Read this review and more at Book Geeks Uncompromised.

“For a man choked full of esoteric wisdom, he had very little idea what he was capable of. He knew himself but poorly.”

I want to write a review that reflects just how eloquent and breathtaking this book was but I just don’t think I’m going to be able to. In trying to explain what was so amazing about Senlin As
Scott  Hitchcock
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5*

I absolutely love the writing style. The characters and world are described so vibrantly and the words just flow. That said there isn't a lot of action and it bogs down a bit in the middle. If you're an action junky this is not the book for you. If you like a smooth writing style, social-economic overtones, great character nuances and affectations then it is. I generally prefer a lot more action but the writing was just exceptional.

I will continue the series.
jessica
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oh, dont mind me. i will just be over here, picking my jaw up from off the floor.

whoa, that was WILD. if i am ever stranded on a deserted island, i want senlin with me. he went from reserved headmaster to a total savage in no time. talk about a glow up! really cant wait to read the second book to see what he does next.

Emma
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This just wasn't for me..another one to add to the pile of everybody-loves-this-why-don't-I? If it hadn't been for the lovely writing, I may not have rated it as much as I did.
J.P. Ashman
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique. Key word for this story. A unique story, setting and protagonist, as far as I'm concerned.

I've heard great things about this story and I can understand why. It's very well written indeed and flows so very well on Audible - the narration is excellent.

Despite this being a missing persons mystery, it felt as intriguing as a murder mystery in a Victorian style Steampunk setting. Almost completely set around and within a HUGE - seriously huge - tower, where the levels are like kingdoms, each
Aristea
It took me a while to articulate some thoughts for this book - somehow I find it more complicated than usual due to the mixed feelings I have.

On one side, the idea of the book and the writing style are simply sublime. Take the Babel Tower and make it the center of your story - in what felt to me like an early 1900 setting.
Also, the writing is divine; I have been struck in the past by amazing and flowing verbiage. This beats all the competitors. A masterpiece.

On the other side, I felt like the
Esmerelda Weatherwax
The audiobook was simply fantastic, and I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting this series, there's so much that I forgot since I last read it.

Total joy of a book
Sci-fi and Heroic...: * Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft 8 12 18 hours, 53 min ago
Steampunk, New We...: Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft 11 18 Apr 07, 2018 04:54PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Senlin Ascends 140 65 Feb 01, 2017 03:35PM
Amazing read. Fresh and interesting. 6 25 Feb 01, 2017 08:03AM
  • Slippery Souls (Sunray Bay, #1)
  • Terrafae
  • Elements of Darkness (Twist's Tales Vol. IV)
  • The Never King
  • Beyond Birkie Fever
  • The Path of Flames (Chronicles of the Black Gate, #1)
  • The Wizard, The Farmer, And The Very Petty Princess
  • The Lost Tales of Mercia (Lost Tales of Mercia #1-10)
  • To Walk in the Way of Lions (Upper Kindgom, #2)
  • The Plaza
  • Cat's Paw
  • Silas
  • Bloom: Or, the unwritten memoir of Tennyson Middlebrook
  • Hard Luck (Saga of Menyoral, #1)
  • Mason McQueen and the Gargoyle's Curse (book 1)
  • Daughter of the Night (Austra Family, #4)
  • The Chosen (Rise of Cithria, #1)
  • Made in Bionia
Josiah Bancroft started writing novels when he was twelve, and by the time he finished his first, he was an addict. Eventually, the writing of Senlin Ascends began, a fantasy adventure, not so unlike the stories that got him addicted to words in the first place. He wanted to do for others what his favorite writers had done for him: namely, to pick them up and to carry them to a wonderful and peril ...more
More about Josiah Bancroft

The Books of Babel (3 books)
  • Arm of the Sphinx (The Books of Babel, #2)
  • The Hod King (The Books of Babel, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
  • The Great Glass Sea
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Senlin did not believe in that sort of love: sudden and selfish and insatiable. Love, as the poets so often painted it, was just bald lust wearing a pompous wig. He believed true love was more like an education: it was deep and subtle and never complete.” 36 likes
“Even beauty diminishes with study. It is better to glance than gawk.” 19 likes