Start by marking “The Servant as Leader” as Want to Read:
The Servant as Leader

The Servant as Leader

This is the essay that started it all. Powerful, poetic and practical. The Servant as Leader describes some of the characteristics and activities of servant-leaders, providing examples which show that individual efforts, inspired by vision and a servant ethic, can make a substantial difference in the quality of society.

Greenleaf discusses the skills necessary to be a serv
Published July 10th 2012 by The Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Servant as Leader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Servant as Leader

Start your review of The Servant as Leader
Heather
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
This is an interesting article with many valuable insights. I will need to come back to some of these points to consider and discuss them further, but I particularly liked the idea that a true leader is chosen by their followers because they can be trusted, they have a vision, they listen, they serve, they make a difference.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

“The great leader is seen as servant first, and that simple fact is the key to his greatness (p. 2).”

“Leadership was bestowed upon a man
Pamela T
This short essay is worth the pain of purchasing it in paperback through the Center for Servant Leadrship. Reconceptualizing the common idea and fundamentals of effective leadership, Greenleaf puts an inspiring clarity and simplicity to the nature of a true leader and what the results of true leadership look like. In opposite, you will realize and be able to identify the symptoms of leadership that's not truly effective and speak to them.
The popular textbook analysis of this essay is the book t
David D.  Knapp, Ph.D.
This long essay started the entire field of Servant Leadership and is a true classic in leadership literature. I believe every leader or aspiring leader should read and reread this essay until he or she understands that being a leader is about serving others - not the other way around.

I also believe in practicing what I preach, so I reread this at least once a year. And I always find something new in it with each reading. This time, it was the following paragraph on page 27:

"Foresight is the 'le
Nex Juice
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always considered myself a natural leader, which this book seems to demonize a bit. I don't know that I agree with 100% of it's information, but it's packed with a lot of great advice in a very tiny package. My full review and summary can be found on my Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyAVL...

Here are some of the highlights I liked most:

1) Seek to serve and create value as your primary purpose.
2) Realize there will always be emergencies, so you have to leave some energy in your ta
Micah  Douthit
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Interesting essay from the first person to coin the term "servant leader" in modern times. Greenleaf makes a very strong case for servant leadership in the workplace. There are large segments when he focuses simply on leadership, rather than servant leadership.
Milton Flournoy
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Foundational learning

Great foundational learning reading. The context that Greenleaf provides on Servant leadership is indispensable. The reader will find themselves reflecting on the implications of there on leadership style.
Jorė
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Topic itself is super relevant and the references will be interesting to explore further. But the read itself is.. too much filled with slogans? There's enough of management thinkers who cover the topic better. But as an introduction to the concept, it's not that bad.
christian salcianu
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
No other way

I found “servant-leadership” as the best way to lead by the simple fact that, despite or even in spite of being counter intuitive and a paradox in itself, it is what Jesus showed us as “the way” - Do you want to lead? Be the last. That’s leading.
Susan
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Going to the source....
Read this and follow it and all the other trendy stupid leadership crap out there isn't needed.
Chole
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it for background on a course in leadership. It is to read about the origination of a leadership theory without all the dry, technical, research jargon that normally goes with this type of research. It was interesting to read how Greenleaf happened upon this leadership theory and his thoughts.
Elizabethg7107
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Concepts set forth are five star and have shaped leadership literature since it was written. Book itself is a bit tough to get through. Many good - and not so good - adaptations since Greenleaf wrote this.
Pixie
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, 2015, 2017
The original essay that started the servant leadership movement.
Re-read. Last read = 23/07/2014 + read in 2015 & 2017
Greg
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read for people who manage people, whether you're in ministry or not!
Dean Kephart
Another must for collective impact reading.
Flavius
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short essay introducing an important concept: the servant-leader.
Scott
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book on servant leadership that at times is somewhat challenging to follow. However the principles outline in this book are worth re-reading again.
Drew
Mar 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, challenging, and profound read that shows that the most effective leaders are those who are the most effective servants.
Hermann Schachtschneider
Want to be a leader? Start here. This is the way.
Anupama
Nov 02, 2018
Sergio Lopez
Jun 18, 2017
Monica Pactol
Jul 04, 2017
Mike
rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Journey to the East
  • The Infinite Game
  • The Leadership Challenge Workshop: Values Cards
  • 1000 True Fans: Use Kevin Kelly's Simple Idea to Earn A Living Doing What You Love
  • The First Stop (A Thousand Li #2)
  • The Siege of Earth (The Ember War Saga, #7)
  • The First Step (A Thousand Li, #1)
  • The Ruins of Anthalas (The Ember War Saga #2)
  • Blood of Heroes (The Ember War Saga, #3)
  • Sin Eater (Iconoclasts, #2)
  • Servant Leadership Roadmap: Master the 12 Core Competencies of Management Success with Leadership Qualities and Interpersonal Skills (Clinical Minds Leadership ... (Clinical Mind Leadership Development)
  • The Battle of the Void (The Ember War Saga, #6)
  • Leadership
  • The Ember War (The Ember War Saga, #1)
  • The Crucible (The Ember War Saga, #8)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
  • Aching God (Iconoclasts, #1)
  • Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers

News & Interviews

“On an important decision one rarely has 100% of the information needed for a good decision no matter how much one spends or how long one waits. And, if one waits too long, he has a different problem and has to start all over. This is the terrible dilemma of the hesitant decision maker.” 47 likes
“Not much happens without a dream. And for something great to happen, there must be a great dream. Behind every great achievement is a dreamer of great dreams. Much more than a dreamer is required to bring it to reality; but the dream must be there first.” 42 likes