Start by marking “The Doll Graveyard: A Hauntings Novel” as Want to Read:
The Doll Graveyard: A Hauntings Novel

The Doll Graveyard: A Hauntings Novel

This graveyard hides buried dolls...and buried secrets!

The house at Cinder Creek hides many secrets. Shelby and Brian Tate have heard heated voices crying out in the night. They've noticed the unsettling way things move around on their own. But the most chilling thing about their new home is the cemetery someone's built out back. The graves are tiny, only big enough for do
Published June 24th 2014 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Doll Graveyard, please sign up.
Grace Id say about 7 it can get pretty scary at some times.

↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
 photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-16694-1330105129-441.gif
What's creepier than finding a doll grave yard in your new backyard? Oh, I don't know, maybe that they won't stay buried, follow you around, and threaten you.

From a 10yo old's perspective, she loved it. She made me stop at pg 225 of 246, lol, I'm like why?!?!? Seriously it's only 20 pgs, let's just finish it and see how it ends. But she was determined to wait. Shortly there after she made me follow her around for a bit, cause she was slightly edgy about her dolls. But in the end she really li
Selena
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Doll Graveyard is about a doll graveyard.... dolls that are buried and show up in the attic in a doll house. Dolls that talk to girls and tell them they are an "angry, angry girl." Dolls that are searching for something.

I'm not sure who my favorite character was, maybe Shelby. She is going through a lot in her young life. She may be susceptible to the dolls because of the pain she is feeling. Her father left the family for another woman. Her mother moves them into an old house given to the
Jenna Scribbles
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A Fun and Creepy Story

The Doll Graveyard is part of Scholastic's 'Haunting' series. These are creepy, slightly spooky, stand alone stories. Thank you for the advance review copy.

What could be scarier than dolls that will not stay buried!? How about dolls that also talk and move around on their own? Oh yes. We are also given attics, secret compartments, eerie houses on a hill with glowing lights... so much spooky fun.

I really thought the side story of Shelby's parent's divorce will ring true with
Ionia
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Adult Confession: This book actually kind of creeped me out a bit.

Lois Ruby has a way of making books interesting for a younger audience by choosing subject matter that kids love and by using the things we fear as children to base her stories around.

This was an interesting book from the very beginning, complete with the creepy house and creepy relative that leaves the main characters quite an inheritance.

The story itself is easy reading, but does contain some more challenging words for reader
Linda
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked the book well enough but I never felt scared or creeped out. Maybe because the book, written for kids, wasn't as scary as a Stephen King novel. On the other hand, I've read some pretty creepy books for kids. The dolls' reasons for being evil just didn't seem urgent enough to endanger humans. Then the end seemed rushed. They found what was making the dolls mad and then everything was hunky-dory. It was build up, build up, build up, and then, Oh that was easy. Story over.
If dolls were try
Julianna
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was super good. It was spooky and had a new twist around each corner. I would reccomend this book to anyone that likes scary things and action packed things. I would definately read this boo again.
Cindy
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Exciting read with my granddaughter, she read it too me and we enjoyed the time together....good book too.
Daryl
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
It had a nice little surprise ending. I liked this book.
Gracelyn S
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because the Shelby has so many different feelings. It is a book that 4-6 would like. If you like scary books you will like this book.Shelby is new to cinder creek she dose not no that the house is filled with mysteries or other weird stuff. Will the dolls find a good home or will they not? Will Shelby learn to like the dolls or hate them ?Find out in the doll graveyard.
Kimberly
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Doll Graveyard by Lois Ruby is a superb new addition to Scholastic's Haunting Series! Shelby and her brother, Brian, are dealing with the recent divorce of their parents, the remarriage of their father and a new extended family, as well as a recent move to a creepy, old house in Cinder Creek that was left to them by their dearly departed, albeit eccentric, Aunt Amelia. Shelby and Brian soon discover the doll graveyard where the dolls will not stay buried! Shelby's determination to unravel th ...more
Regina Reads
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Rating: 1.5 Stars
Overall Impression: Wait...what? Ugh. Nope.

I have a great love for the Hauntings series. For a junior/middle school read there's nothing better when it comes to stories about things that go bump in the night. This particular titles was greatly anticipated because how on earth could a story about dolls and an old decrepit house NOT hold a true grain of terror? I mean look at the cover! It's perfect!

However this is a case of the cover being better than the contents. The storyline
Amy
Jul 04, 2014 added it
Shelves: 2014, j-paranormal
I had high hopes for this book, but was underwhelmed. There were numerous plot threads and characters that needed to coalesce at the end, but I felt like that didn't happen satisfactorily. I had to work to keep everything straight, and thought there shouldn't have been five -- or were there six? -- dolls, because that was just too much to keep track of. Each doll corresponded to a person (or a piece of a person), and each person had his or her own story. Condensing it down to one doll would have ...more
Claudia
Creepy, but in a good way...a new, spooky, isolated house...a doll house that's an identical replica of your spooky house. Dolls in the dollhouse that seem to move around, a doll graveyard where the dolls (temporarily) rest in peace..before returning to the spooky house. A mysterious death of a little girl, and the apparent breakdown of another little girl...

Add this all together and you've got DOLL GRAVEYARD. Shelby and her brother move to their great-aunt's house in CO, and nothing is as it ap
Kathy
The Doll Graveyard: A Hauntings Novel by Lois Ruby

Shelby's Mom had inherited an old home from their Aunt Amelia. Hoping to start a new life and leave the past behind. The house holds secrets in which Shelby and her brother, Brian stumble upon. Hearing mournful crying in the night and reappearing dolls that were long buried in a cemetery plot. Why were these dolls buried? For what purpose were they buried? What is the story behind these hauntings? The secrets are just waiting for someone brave to
Karina A.
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The doll Graveyard is about a girl named Shelby and her brother Brian. They move to Cinder Creek in a house. They hear heated voices crying out in the night. They notice that things move around on their own. But the chilling thing is that someone has built graveyards about the size of a doll. The house at Cinder Creek hides many secrets.
Amy
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun book for kids who like a good mystery. I read this story because it is up for the Sequoyah 2017 award. I think my activity for the Sequoyah Kickoff event will be an invisible ink center.
Nicole
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do think this is a good book for a children chapter book. The cover is so creepy I was worried how scary it would be, but it’s not that scary. The story plays with a haunted house.
Jaden Jares
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
The title of my book is The Doll Graveyard and the author is Lois Ruby. The genre of the book is mystery. The main characters are Shelby and Brian Tate. Shelby is a curious , twelve year old girl who has a tendency to exaggerate . Brian Tate is Shelby’s 9 year old little brother who almost never talks ever since their parents split apart.
The setting is an old , creepy house in Cinder Creek that Aunt Amelia, Shelby and Bryan’s great aunt, used to live in until she just recently passed away. Sh
Swapna
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked Lois Ruby’s The Secret of Laurel Oaks very much. It had an interesting plot based on true events and was a bit scary. The Doll Graveyard is interesting but not at all scary. There is no proper explanation given as to why the dolls don’t stay buried, what started the haunting and the past owners’ histories. Caliberti could have elaborated much more on the previous occupants than what he has done in the book, since he was present during Sadie’s time. But he just clams up abruptly.

Of all th
Tori
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
When Shelby and her family move into a new house, they find a number of dolls who may harbor a sinister secret. A nice scary pick for elementary readers, but middle schoolers may notice that the mystery falls apart if you examine it too closely. Still, the dolls are creepy and provide suitable scares for the age group.
Tina Speece
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice read that doesn't disrespect its age group when it comes to the topic of divorce and the feelings that spring up from it, even as the ghost story unfolds around it. Comes with a happy ending for more characters involved than you'd expect, which is also really nice.
Abigail
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best horror novel ever! It was perfect for the grade level I am in.
Emma
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall it was a good book but there were a few plot holes.
First of all why would somebody name a doll Lady, bury her with a gravestone, and dig her up and leave the gravestone there? ... why?
Shawna
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Great title and cover, but I was disappointed in the story.
Olivia Olivares
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
it was pretty good kinda scary but i was hoping it was scarer.
Joy Lane
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j, ghosts
fun
Leslie Pasaran
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was ok. In my opinion, I felt like it needed a little bit more information at the end.
Emily Masters
read this for my Children's Lit class.
Auna
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
THis is a good book because it it a thriller and a mystery and keeps you on the edge of your seat.
It is about a girl named Shelby and her brother and mom have to move into a house when there are alive dolls that aren't that nice and have ton of secrets. Characters: Shelby,brian,mom,dad.
Candy
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-books
The Doll Graveyard
Lois Ruby
Juvenile Horror/Mystery

Review: Shelby feels like her life is falling apart. It all started when she catches her father with a woman who is not her mother. When the truth comes out that Shelby’s dad and mom are getting a divorce and her dad will have a new family Shelby becomes a very angry girl. Then on top of the divorce, Shelby’s great Aunt Amelia passes away and leaves them a big but spooky house in Cinder Creek, Colorado, that Shelby’s mom insist they move to. This
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Eliza Bing Is (Not) a Big, Fat Quitter
  • Charlie Bumpers vs. the Teacher of the Year
  • Black Elk's Vision: A Lakota Story
  • Genuine Sweet
  • The Doll's Eye
  • Here Where the Sunbeams Are Green
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission (Lulu, #3)
  • Lucky Strike
  • You Can't Hide (Shadow House, #2)
  • The Fearsome Foursome (Tales from the Haunted Mansion #1)
  • The Phantom of the Post Office (43 Old Cemetery Road, #4)
  • Behind the Bookcase
  • The Numberlys
  • The Girl in the Locked Room: A Ghost Story
  • The Daring Escape of the Misfit Menagerie
  • Pet Shop of Horrors, Vol. 4 (Pet Shop of Horrors, #4)
  • The Case of the Vanishing Honeybees: A Scientific Mystery
  • Happy Valley
Lois Ruby is the author of fifteen books for middle-graders and teens, including STEAL AWAY HOME, SKIN DEEP, and THE SECRET OF LAUREL OAKS. She and her husband live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, at the foothills of the awesome Sandia Mountains. Lois explores lots of haunted places, including ghostly locations in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, and even a few spooky spots in Australia and Thailand. No spir ...more