Start by marking “Million Dollar Consulting: The Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice” as Want to Read:
Million Dollar Consulting: The Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice

Million Dollar Consulting: The Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  637 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
This updated edition aims to provide a comprehensive guide to building a consulting business that will bring in a million dollars a year. It describes how to raise capital, target new clients, hire staff and set up a fee structure. The book breaks down each step of developing a successful consulting business into concise, easily-understood steps, offers specific examples a ...more
Paperback
Published November 1st 1997 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published April 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Million Dollar Consulting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Million Dollar Consulting

Chad Warner
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: consultants, service providers
Recommended to Chad by: Freelancers' Show
This is a handbook on being a high-income, professional consultant. It's a wealth of practical advice on high-end consulting, based on extensive first-hand experience. Weiss exudes professionalism and confidence. He's an unabashed contrarian, sharing alternatives to conventional wisdom. I didn't agree with everything he advocates, but overall I found it very informative.

I read this because my web design agency, OptimWise, provides consulting services. It was recommended on episode 192 of the Fre
Caroline
Sep 10, 2008 rated it liked it
I purchased and read this manual to assist me in developing marketing strategies for my new business lines (I'm a policy person, not a sales rep). It did provide some insights, but I didn't derive what I'd hoped to - the "silver bullet" to assist me in securing prospective clients. Than again, what should I have expected for $22.95?
Muhammed Umar
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: consulting, business
Its a good book that details the planning right till the execution and sealing the deal of whatever project the consultant has. This is a must read book for any consultant/would-be consultant. There are some pretty useful tips mentioned in this book that is applicable even if you may not be a consultant. However, I strongly urge if you are not a consultant you may borrow this book and skim it through it to see if there any thing that this book may help to address in your endeavors.

Else due to i
Dorotea
Perhaps useful if you are a freelancer, but honestly I have no idea how I ended up reading this.
Chris Munson
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
Million Dollar Consulting is a superbly detailed and thorough look at what it takes to setup a successful consulting practice. It's full of useful tips and in-depth recommendations for such crucial topics as focusing on results, marketing, business-winning proposals, setting consulting rates, partnerships, etc. The book oozes real-life experience. The book's greatest strength is that it provides concrete examples and step-by-step instructions around most of the important issues that consultants ...more
Branimir
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the book which will turn you into a consultant all of a sudden (surprise, surprise). For what its worth, it would not even help you realize if you are good fit for this hat. Yet, what I like a lot is that it gives advices on being more self-aware and organized. This is one of the better business reads and I would recommend it to people who want to learn to be more confident and persistent.

Alan Weis creates a good overview of practices which allow people to better "sell" themselves. C
Agona Apell
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enlightening read! Leads the reader steadily and masterfully through the major stages of running a consulting practice. I especially loved the chapters on writing proposals and setting value-based fees. Many business writers make mountains out of the molehills of proposal writing. Not Mr. Weiss: his idea of a proposal is a compact affair which I have stuck to with great benefit ever since I picked it from these pages.

This is a book I will read again and again over the coming years.

Ryn
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants ownership of their professional contributions
Recommended to Ryn by: Annie Stevens
The SUBTITLE is really what this is about: How to own and grow a professional, independent practice
Not about million dollars, and not really about consulting.
More about value-based partnering/advising/listening.
Instead of feeling powerless about one's occupation, Weiss offers an insightful and actionable approach to owning one's own professional contributions and increasing their value.
Thank you, Annie Stevens (http://www.clearrock.com)
Michael
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for independent consultants that are both starting out and have been in business for a while. The section on value based pricing is absolutely astounding and will revolutionize the bottom line of most businesses. However note that Mr. Weiss has done a much better job in other books of detailing the specific ways and methods of using the value based pricing model. This book is a great primer to most of his other great books like his Ultimate Consultant Series.
Artur Matos
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Looking at the title, I was expecting one of those dreadful self-help books telling you how to get rich in 3 easy steps; surprisingly enough, it was actually a very nice business book. The author is a very successful consultant and obviously talks from his experience. It covers pretty much everything you need to run a consulting practice, from marketing to pricing. Highly recommended for anyone doing consulting or thinking of becoming a consultant.
Li Li
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is informative, practical, and easy read. It gives ample real-life examples and provides practical solution and insight.

I completed the book quickly with the hope that I can apply some of the advise to business writing in general. I did gain some general advise, but I would not recommend this book to a Sr. business lead as more of those are common sense (common sense are not common practice though).

Stacey Moore
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Lots of great advice for consultants. I especially like his suggestions regarding fees and proposals. I don't agree with everything (he's a bit too "process oriented" for me). I expect that most consultants will find at least one actionable item from the book that warrants a five star rating. Take what you like and leave the rest.
Josh
After a year of struggling to get my own consulting practice off the ground, this book provided a lot of information that's helping me turn the corner.

With that said, it's not a bible and I think Alan Weiss' tone is beyond arrogant at times. Read it, take it for what it is, glean the important pieces and make it apply to you.
Jenny
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great tips in here that shifted my perspective on how to structure work with corporate clients, but I can't say I know exactly how to make the leap from where I am now to being the "trusted advisor" -- working on a results-basis not at all on the "how" of deliverables (workshop, coaching, etc).
Eyad
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well structured book. If you are a business graduate, you should be familiar with a great deal of the content.

In nutshell, be professional, maintain good relationship with your clients, organize your projects and diversify.
Amanda
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book seems to have been written so that you can jump to the chapters you want. As a result, many ideas, tips and stories were repeated in multiple sections and reading the book from front to back was a little tedious.
MJ Hoffman
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brazen and bombastic at times, this exploration in how to grow your book of business is chock full of "nuggets." Contrarian ways to challenge yourself if you want to set yourself apart from the pack.
Barbara Daiker
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are working with consultants or are considering going into consulting, this is a good book for bringing forward a philosophy and strategy. It isn't a "how to" in consulting, rather a way to think about providing services to companies.
Samantha
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although the edition I read was dated, I found this to be an excellent discussion on considerations for developing a strong consulting businesss. If I ever end up starting one I would buy the updated version (mine was from the 90's).

George Samuels
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very practical
Eliot Burdett
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good insight for consultants and professional services firms.
Philip Athans
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some excellent advice, if repetitious, that really got me thinking. . . .
Linda Mitchell
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Dr Weiss was extremely thorough. He covered every aspect of having a million-dollar consulting business. It's a good book for beginners like me and seasoned professionals.
Kyle
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entrepreneurship
His best stuff is regarding solo-practice professionals. The portions that only apply to enterprise-class business consultants didn't mean all that much to me..
Bruno De carvalho
Very good book. Learned lots of insights and techniques that I am currently using in my career.
Nick Woodall
Good book on setting up your consulting business.
David
May 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Broad and yet dense overview of successful consulting. I have the feeling that I'll be referring to this book a lot.
Ktaaffe
Dec 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid and highly useful tactics to consider when putting yourself into the marketplace as a consultant of any type.
Roland
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: consulting
Absolutely great, packed with good and practical advice - has to work to implement them, but that's the point.
Every freelances - not just consultants - should read this.
Marcey Rader
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This had so many writer-downers for me as a consultant. I recommend this to anyone who has services w value based pricing. One of my top ten business books and I've read a lot!
  • More Secrets of Consulting: The Consultant's Tool Kit
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • The Win Without Pitching Manifesto
  • Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • Consulting for Dummies
  • The Invisible Touch: The Four Keys to Modern Marketing
  • Who: The a Method for Hiring
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • The Wealthy Freelancer
  • The New Strategic Selling: The Unique Sales System Proven Successful by the World's Best Companies
  • Do It! Marketing: 77 Instant-Action Ideas to Boost Sales, Maximize Profits, and Crush Your Competition
  • Getting Naked: A Business Fable about Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty
  • Guerrilla Publicity: Hundreds of Sure-Fire Tactics to Get Maximum Sales for Minimum Dollars
  • Breakthrough Advertising

• Funny In Farsi: A Memoir Of Growing Up Iranian In America
    $7.99 $1.99
    $11.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $2.99
“You grow based on exploiting strengths, not by acclimating to weaknesses.” 1 likes
“Abraham Maslow observed, “When the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.” 0 likes