Start by marking “Gatekeeper (Joe Gunther #14)” as Want to Read:
Gatekeeper (Joe Gunther #14)

Gatekeeper (Joe Gunther #14)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  453 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
A known drug dealer is found hanging from a railroad trestle in Rutland, the daughter of a political bigwig is dead of an overdose in the man’s apartment, and a young woman (Gail Zigman’s niece) is shot while trying to rob a convenience store for drug money. Heroin is hitting Vermont in unprecedented quantities. Vermont Bureau of Investigation special agent Joe Gunther (an ...more
Published March 28th 2013 by MarchMedia (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Gatekeeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gatekeeper

Steve
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
My least favorite in the Joe Gunther series. Not a bad story, but it seems like Mayor got tired of writing. Everything was going along fine…and then it just stops with a lot of stuff left hanging. Maybe that'll get tied up in the next one. IF you're reading the series you should probably read this one, but if you're not, don't start with this one. You'll never read another and they are usually a great read.
Karen Ford
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having come to know the characters after reading all the previous novels in this seties, I enjoyed Gatekeeper, another in the Joe Gunther series. Having moved on from being a Brattleboro detective to heading the newly established Vermont Bureau of Investigation, Gunther is finding her has to walk a high wire between the other Vermont police agencies and politicians. The previous book dealt with the personal life of one of his detectives, Willy Kunkel, who investigated the murder of his ex wife i ...more
Bill Currie
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: detective
This read more like a White Paper on the effects of marginalized industries and the resulting depletion of tax revenues in small towns of the north east. Old towns were industry has moved away and real estate has been left crumbling along with a majority of it's populous. Those left behind hit the skids with alcohol and drugs and no one seems to be able to turn the tide.

This novel is overly sanitized with logical police behavior and actions even through the under cover portion blurred the lines
Catherine Woodman
Joe is upset about heroin coming into his state, Vermont, and this is way back in the 1990's, so the book foretells of a future where we are all worried about heroin coming into our states. He wasn't wrong about that. He puts a cop undercover in an effort to better understand who is bringing it in and how they are doing it. Good solid murder mystery.
Richard
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read about police procedures. Interesting insights to drug issues in Vermont, and how drug use among teens affects families. Very detailed. No hot sex, nor high body count, nor cursing typically found in crime novels
Jim
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Not the strongest entry in the series in my opinion. The behavior of several of the key characters is out of line with what we've seen from them so far. The undercover story line just didn't work for me.
Rebecca Boehringer
Good story, but didn't end with the drama that I expected. Still, I really enjoy Archer Mayor's books.
Barbara
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Read this for a book club. Enjoyed the writing. Written from third person point of view. Not the in-depth police procedural of earlier books.
Delores Alger
Oct 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I have read several of this series and never know what to expect. I have rated some as four stars and some as one or two stars.
Phil
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love all the Joe Gunther books!
Rob1109
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What I’ve always liked about Archer Mayor novels is that you know exactly what you’re going to get. And that’s a good thing.

While I cant include him as one of my Top 5 favorite authors, he is secure in about number 6 or 7.

His novels are enjoyable, procedural books. The cases are interesting, the writing crisp and I always have an urge to move to Vermont after reading his descriptions and semi-history lesson of different communities.

Perhaps the best aspect on his work, including Gatekeeper, is
Dennis Fischman
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This book puts Sammie Martens at the center instead of Joe Gunther (as a previous book, The Sniper's Wife, did with Willy Kunkle. It's a welcome new perspective. Because she's undercover for a lot of the book, however, you don't learn as much about her as you might expect. The other main female character in the series, Gail Zigman, is going through even more changes in her life, and Joe is struggling to keep up. Nothing is resolved, so this feels like a transitional book in the series.

I enjoyed
LJ
THE GATEKEEPER– VG
Archer Mayor – 14th in series
When heroin traffickers establish a vast and swift pipeline into Vermont, Joe Gunther's Bureau of Investigation is called in to stem the tide. Sammie Martens goes deep undercover as a drug dealer; Lester Spinney investigates a loved one; and Joe makes some agonizing choices as he works to reconcile a noble end with highly dubious means.

I am a huge fan of this author. This writing is clean and crisp, the characters very human and his stories move we
Janet
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I have always enjoyad Archer Mayor's Joe Gunther series but I don't think this is one of the best. For one thing, it just kind of ENDs with a quick rundown of where the cast of characters is at that point.

The thing i like most about the series is that Mayor, for the most part, gets Vermont right, without all the oh-look-at-the-dumb-rustics that some other books set here succumb to. For that I give him a lot of respect.

Still, this isn't one I would recommend as a fine example of the series but r
Dave
Aug 10, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There is no reason to include the word "Vermont" or a city in Vermont or an acronym of an agency that has the word Vermont in it, ON EVERY PAGE, to remind the reader that the story takes place in Vermont. Also, don't have characters with similer last names (allred, allen, albin, abbot). The reader spends too much time trying to figure out who's who. Especially when the characters are loosely explained and defined. The story takes place in Vermont (believe me, you will be reminded of this often). ...more
Debra
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of Archer Mayor, but I didn't like this one as well as most of the others. There was not enough of Joe Gunther, and it was told in the third person. When writing in his usual first person, Mayor seems more authentic. This was a book in which the author, in my opinion, wanted his stance on drugs and the political and policing problems involved therein, put on record. I am looking forward to the next book in the series as being better, as I'm sure it will.
Theresa
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Det. Joe Gunter takes on the the drug trade in Vermont in all the small towns. A undercover operations to find the killers and stop the drug traffic is good and interesting. Thought the author did a good job informing us what was going on.
Elizabeth
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. I haven't read Archer Mayor in a LONG time, and although I think he's a fine craftsman, his best work (Joe Gunther) is barely in play here. I didn't care all that much about Sammy's work, because she wasn't allowed to get into a situation where she wasn't in control (although I think Mayor wanted us to think so). Not a lot of tension, basically. It felt like a book that was setting up situations that would come to fruition in another book.
Ed
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: law-enforcement
#14 in the Joe Gunther series. A disappointing entry in the long-running, highly acclaimed series.

Joe Gunther series - The governor pressures the VBI to join an effort to eliminate drug trafficking. Sammie Martens goes undercover as Greta Novak, a hard-charging drug distributor wannabe. By the book's end she discovers she's been tricked by the people she was deceiving. With a flat, albeit realistic, ending, this is not one of his best.
Carol
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jennie
This isn't particularly my genre, but it was readable, and in the end I got into it. I found the beginning a bit hard to follow with all the characters, but perhaps if I had started with the first Joe Gunther mystery I'd have been better off. Definitely a "throw-away" (summer/beach/airplane) read for me, but fun. Sam as Greta was pretty fun to watch her transitions.
Elaine
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vermont detective, Joe Gunther, mounts a campaign to eradicate the flow of drugs into his beloved state. Great descriptions of picturesque , rustic Vermont. Interesting twist on the rivalries between local and state agencies. Great airplane read. I really go t a sense of how proud the Vermont people are of their individualism and independence.
Enrico Tassinari
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another change in Mayor's routine. This time it's a multiple POV involving the female characters of the serie. It's a more introspective story, as women are and it adds depth to the plot, that lacks of the usual action and shooting and focuses on the thrilling that comes with undercover operations. I liked it a lot for that.
Kay
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Unlike the other books in this series, Gatekeepers focuses on Sammie Martens rather than Joe Gunther. When she goes undercover for a prolonged period, she takes on a completely different persona than the one we Mayor fans are used to. That made it a bit odd to read, but was, as always, rewarding in the end. This is my favorite American police procedural series at the moment.
Mandy Huot
While definitely good and a great story as usual, I did not enjoy this one as much as his other books. I'm not sure what was missing, maybe it was the fact that Sam almost got hurt instead of himself, but I'm hoping more of his books will be good.
Nfloodtularosa.net
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Just an OK read- not up to his usual standard.

Just an OK read- not up to his usual standard. Sam was a little "out there" and I am sick of Gail and her problems. Mayor can do better than this- I will try him again later.
Lynne Thomas
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of Mayor's best in the Joe Gunther Series. That being said, following the previous book, where he gave us a better look into the character of Willey Kunkle, he didn't do as well of a job with Sammie's character. Still one of the best Police Procedure Series written.
Tulay
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Good story.

Drugs, how they're being distributed and sold in beautiful small town in Vermont. Very believable story, undercover operations to find the killer and distributors. One families fight to keep their children away from it all.
Fred
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another good book in the series.
Ginny
May 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read!
Tania
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm really glad that he has started to write in the third person. He builds such strong characters but we've really only had insight to Joe so far. It was nice to get to know Sam, faults and all.
  • The Night Monster (Jack Carpenter #3)
  • Massacre Pond (Mike Bowditch, #4)
  • Blunt Darts (John Francis Cuddy, #1)
  • The Violet Hour
  • Kill Zone (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller #3)
  • It Happens in the Dark (Kathleen Mallory, #11)
  • Caribbean Moon (Manny Williams, #1)
  • The McCone Files
  • Horse's Arse
  • Failure to Appear (J.P. Beaumont, #11)
  • Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely
  • The Body Box (Cold Case Thriller, #1)
  • Sayonara, Mrs. Kackleman
  • A Dead Man's Tale (Charlie Moon #15)
  • The Third Wife
  • Gray Area
  • The Celibate Mouse (Susan Prescott #2)
  • Tin City (Mac McKenzie, #2)
Over the years, Archer Mayor has been photographer, teacher, historian, scholarly editor, feature writer, travel writer, lab technician, political advance man, medical illustrator, newspaper writer, history researcher, publications consultant, constable, and EMT/firefighter. He is also half Argentine, speaks two languages, and has lived in several countries on two continents.

All of which makes mak
More about Archer Mayor

Joe Gunther (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Open Season (Joe Gunther #1)
  • Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2)
  • Scent of Evil (Joe Gunther #3)
  • The Skeleton's Knee (Joe Gunther #4)
  • Fruits of the Poisonous Tree (Joe Gunther #5)
  • The Dark Root  (Joe Gunther #6)
  • The Ragman's Memory (Joe Gunther #7)
  • Bellows Falls (Joe Gunther #8)
  • The Disposable Man (Joe Gunther #9)
  • Occam's Razor (Joe Gunther #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Fallout
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
  • Pretty Girls
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • The Tenth Justice
    $7.74 $1.99
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Desperate
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions (An Auntie Poldi Adventure)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • You Can't Stop Me (You Can't Stop Me #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne Book #2)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Detective (Elvis Cole, #9)
  • The Tears of Dark Water
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)