Start by marking “Elfhunter (Tales of Alterra, the World That Is #1)” as Want to Read:
Elfhunter (Tales of Alterra, the World That Is #1)

Elfhunter

(Tales of Alterra, The World That Is #1)

Elfhunter is the first of the tales of Alterra, the World that Is. It concerns the quest of an unlikely pair of heroines, Gaelen and Nelwyn, who are Wood-elves of the Dominglas Forest. They are hunter-scouts in the realm of King Ri-Aruin, and they have sworn to protect their woodland home, but they are drawn into a quest to defend all the Elves of Alterra as they seek to d ...more
Published November 9th 2005 by Authorhouse

To ask other readers questions about Elfhunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elfhunter

Start your review of Elfhunter (Tales of Alterra, the World That Is #1)
Dave
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy Enthusiasts.
Recommended to Dave by: a Friend
"This work has been inspired by the works of JRR Tolkien." Thus Marks sets out her stall from the outset, lest the reader be in any doubt as to the nature and design of her work. And much like Gaelen , wayward wood elf and protagonist of Marks' Elfhunter, it is a bold yet honest statement; a blatant battle line drawn in the literary sand - a gauntlet cast down before other fantasy authors who may have failed to suggest that they are somehow different.

Elfhunter is the first book in the tales of
Kevis Hendrickson
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of the remarkable things about discovering new books is that you never know when a book is going to come along that knocks you completely off of your feet. Elfhunter by C.S. Marks is one of those books. I have been a long time fan of J.R.R. Tolkien and can truly say that Marks has picked up from where the late professor left off. She has created a vast and completely believable secondary world in which fantasy readers can immerse themselves. That world is Alterra and it is a place I intend t ...more
Brian
Apr 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
I'm giving this book one more star than it deserves because I like wood elves. I'm tempted to leave the review at that, but no. Let's get something clear: I have nothing against fantasy cliches. I have nothing against amateur fiction. I say bring on the tropes and the giddy fans. And while this book is nothing but cliches, barely-veiled Tolkien analogues, and such, that is actually why I wanted to read it. I always wanted Mirkwood Adventures, basically, and this has a lot of the right ingredient ...more
Winter
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves fantasy and animals, or just a nice tale.
Lovely, charming and exiting tale, it never cease to give me joy and comfort. It is one of the few tales I will never leave completely, always re-read.

I have now read further into Fire-heart which I think is the book where she really found her own voice. Not that this one isn't great or her own in that sense, but in Fire-heart everything runs very smooth.

The whole trilogy should be read and need to be read. It is a long tale to come back to again and again.
Dannette
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly creative! I can't wait to read the sequels. I'd never picked up a novel like this before, but I'm now addicted. Marks does an extraordinary descriptive job and easily transports me to the world of Alterra.
Tricia
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Tolkien, Darth Vader, Elves, long reads
Recommended to Tricia by: found online at Amazon
Readers will be taken to another world in which a menacing, malicious creature, Gorgon, pursues the two major characters and those like them...if he is merciful which he isn't inclined to be, he will kill you quickly, if not...well...C.S.Marks takes her readers on a perilous venture through a dark forests and lands riddled with danger,making you wish you had a sword at hand. The ending had a twist, I never saw coming and am thirsting for the second in her series.
Shanna
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The characters are all well done, and the bad guy is one of the best I've read about. I really enjoyed this!
Sadie Forsythe
Elfhunter will likely appeal to most Tolkien fans. It would be almost impossible to miss the similarities between the two. I read Tolkien when I was younger and I loved his writing, his stories, and the way he could just reach in and snatch the breath from my chest with the seemingly simplest of prose. I enjoyed Marks' writing, but it's not Tolkien.

I have to be honest. There is a small part of me who whats to lay my head back, close my eyes, and just relish the fact that I finally finished this
Daniella Vargas
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I cringe whenevr I see someone write "like Lord of the Rings" when reviewing a fantasy novel. Tolkien may be the best known, but really people, have you ever read something besides LOtR? Does EVERYTHING have to be like LOtR? It's like going into a nice restaurant, eating a wonderful meal, and saying it tasted like chicken. Everything does not taste like chicken and every fantasy book is not just like LOtR!

Anyway, rant aside, I'm not going to make LOtR comparisons because this book is nothing lik
S.T. Young
Apr 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
When I first started with Marks’ Elfhunter, I’ll admit to not being in the best of moods, so part of my problem (if it can be called such) with getting “into” the story might be explained by that. At first glance the story appears to be set in a slow pace, and a considerable lack of dialogue fails to really grab my attention.

I like literate descriptions that draw out the “world” in my mind, well enough, and Marks manages this beautifully in those first pages that are there to set the scene, so t
George
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I originally started this back in 2012 and then 4% in I got distracted and never got back to it until just a few days ago. I'm very glad I returned to it. Once I got into it, I was hooked.

Marks admits up front her great debt to JRR Tolkien. On the surface, the story thus seems highly derivative of Lord of the Rings, and it is. But more in an homage and inspirational way than a mere copy. There's a quest, a fellowship of sorts, an overarching Dark Lord, elves, dwarves, men, and orcs, etc.

The cha
Kara
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elfhunter by CS Marks (ebook version)
Review by Kara Grant

*need to re read this, love how long it is......Nov.2015*

My Review
Gaelen and her cousin, Nelwyn, are Wood-elves dedicated to serving as guardians of their forest home. They are both skilled trackers, over 1000 years old, and determined to protect not just their land but also their people in the surrounding lands of Alterra. Gaelen has keen eyesight, listening and scenting abilities as well as fearlessness. Nelwyn has a sharp eye and deadly
May 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
I don't know if I'll ever finish reading this book. I'm finding it kind of painful to read. I think the writing style is just not for me, although is probably exactly right for others. It's too....descriptive, and not in a way that I find enjoyable to read. I don't need to know that one character's boots are green and another's are brown, or what they are wearing whenever they change clothes. There is also a lot of telling and not very much showing. The four main characters have personalities, t ...more
Jessie Potts
3.5 Stars

Elfhunter is no easy sci-fi/fantasy book to sneer at and finish in a day. It’s a long and lengthy read that takes readers into the depths of Alterra where terrible beast like creatures rampage, Elves take up arms, and two small heroines can conquer greatness.

Gaelen and Nelwyn are Wood-Elves and are on a quest to destroy the Elfhunter who is brutally killing and exterminating their kind. Along the way they will discover who they are and what it means to be a hero.

This was a fun read. I
Steven Schaefer
I was fortunate to have met the author at St. Louis Comic Con this year. We were attending for the first time and stumbled across her booth amidst the spectacle. The covers of the displayed works intrigued me, so I struck up a brief conversation with the occupants, not realizing one of the two was the author. She asked my 11 year old about his tastes in reading and recommended her books. This is of course to be expected given the venue. We later returned and purchased this and one of the later t ...more
Diayll
Review Source: Publisher
Reviewer: Bailey

Taylor
Sep 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has so much potential. The background of each character, how they relate to one another, and the premise of the book...(to defeat what I will just call the 'darkness')...all held my attention. C. S. Marks is a great writer. The issue I have with the book is for 500 pages, the characters basically have one task. At the end of the book...this task is STILL not resolved. *Add a second story line that involves romance and love relationships that progress* I am disappointed that things were ...more
Brendan Carroll
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent reading for all fantasy fans. I would recommend it to any Tolkien fan or anyone who likes complete worlds created and well developed characters. C.S. Marks brings her elves to life with sharp descriptions, crisp details and believable dialog. A complex story for readers who like a lot of meat in their stories. Make sure you have the time to read because you won't want to put it down for real.
Tanner
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"Elfhunter" is a vivid tale that draws the reader in the the world of Alterra. Strong characters and an exciting plot will drive you down the road of sleep deprivation, you won't be able to put it down. The tale is well told. So hearken to the lore-master. Buy the book and enter the world that is!

Highly recommended!
Thomi Elmore
Absolutely wonderful character driven fantasy. Immersion in the world of Alterra was as deep as finding myself in Middle Earth years ago. Memorable villains - honorable heroes - grand themes of loyalty and friendship. Love it!
Kim Hunt
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love this book. the author made me fall in love with several of the characters. i look forward to the continuation of the story.
Zharel Anger
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elfhunter is a well written immersive journey through Alterra's perilous dark forests. The epic plot moves along at an entertaining pace. The characters are convincing in their roles, likable, and have realistic flaws. The murderous villain, Gorgon, is the perfect vehicle to drive this story and litter the countryside with elf corpses. The engaging story kept my pulse pounding all the way to the end.

Even though I now know the conclusion, Elfhunter will remain on my shelf to be read again.
Catrina
Thought it was a decent read. the reason it is only 3 stars is because of how wordy the book was. I know its a book, there are supposed to be words but sometimes the descriptions of someone were unnecessary after a while. also, she put information in there that didn't need to be in the story. While it was interesting information it wasn't relevant.
Still it was a good book and I look forward to reading the second one in the series.
Kim
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For as long as I remember, I loved stories with elves, dwarves, men and campaigns. When I was told about this series, I put it on my list of books to check out and I wasn't disappointed. It was a bit slow at first as the author began to build the foundations of both the story and the world of Alterra itself. In my opinion, it needed to be slow because everything within Alterra played a part in the story. The characters, the land, the animals - they all played a role in the events which came to p ...more
James Williams
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story opens with two simple wood elves "camping" on a starry night and quickly transforms into a murder mystery!

The characters are incredibly well-formed, they are complicated and intricately portrayed. Marks truly employs character development as a method of introducing you the characters in the book rather than simply describing them. She brings you along as silent participant in the quest to find and kill the hideous creature that is brutally murdering her elven brethren.

As the story prog
Keru Faye
I tried. I really tried to finish this. But alas, Elfhunter must go to the dnf shelf because I have many more better books to read and I ended up about halfway through the book when I felt that I should be much farther.

I love elves, so I thought that this would be a win for me, but the writing suffers from tell-don't-show and over-description in the wrong places. This bogs down the pace dramatically and makes Elfhunter a chore to read.

The characters aren't exactly super-compelling either, despit
Catherine Fitzsimmons
It took me a while to at last get around to reading this book by fellow Gen Con Author's Avenue regular C. S. Marks, but I did at last, largely in need of some escapism. Elfhunter certainly provided that. I went in not really knowing what I was getting into, aside from the somewhat unspecific back cover blurb, a short story in one of the Missing Pieces volumes, and some very scant words by a previous reader more regarding writing style than content.

Put simply, I found Elfhunter very, very Tolkie
Douglas Cook
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Excellent first book of the Alterra series. Good characterization. A truly nasty bad guy. Female main character. Well worth reading.

First paragraphs
The darkness came early in midwinter, especially in the Greatwood. Even in the height of summer the forest was not a bright place. Very little sunlight penetrated the vast canopy, hence the overall effect of a cool, dark haven shot with green and gold. In winter more light could pass through the layers of skeletal branches, but it was a cold light, t
Charlene
I was drawn into this book by the promise of a new epic fantasy, and I was very happy to immerse myself in this new world. It's very rich with detail and characters with complex backstories. The novel gradually reveals each character's hidden secrets and desires in a way that makes the whole story compelling. The Elfhunter is pretty sinister as well, and finding out more about his vendetta was very interesting.

Although I enjoy the characters and the worldbuilding, there are times when I feel the
Stephen
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elfhunter is an epic tale of a headstrong She-Elf named Gaelen and her cousin Nelwyn who discover slain elves in the woods, prompting them to track the killer. They, alongside some friends met along the way, go on a journey in hopes to exact vengeance upon an entity that calls itself ‘Elfhunter’ and whose only purpose is to exterminate the Elven race. Will the band of heroes succeed?
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I liked that the action in the story started straight away. The plot moved alon
« previous 1 3 next »
Indie Book Club: September 2013 Fantasy BotM: Elfhunter 6 18 Sep 07, 2013 02:00PM
The Friday Indie ...: Friday Indie Review, 3/7/13 1 3 May 30, 2013 11:00AM
Win This Book 1 3 Apr 12, 2013 08:39AM
Elfhunter Second Edition 1 3 Apr 01, 2013 07:51PM
Visa To Alterra 5 11 Mar 24, 2013 05:26AM

• Wisteria (Wisteria, #1)
  • Becoming Clementine (Velva Jean, #3)
  • Second Street Station (A Mary Handley Mystery, #1)
  • The Call of Chaos (The Forgotten Years Book 1)
  • Come Sundown
  • Phobia (Wisteria, #4)
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)
  • Jealousy Filled Donuts (Deputy Donut Mystery #3)
  • Silent Night, Deadly Night (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery, #4)
  • Murder Can Mess Up Your Masterpiece (A Haunted Craft Fair Mystery #1)
  • Apple Cider Slaying (A Cider Shop Mystery #1)
  • Dead with the Wind (Southern Ladies Mystery, #2)
  • The Silence of the Library (Cat in the Stacks, #5)
  • The Invisible Chains - Part 1: Bonds of Hate (Dark Tales of Randamor the Recluse #1)
  • A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire, #1)
  • Youkai Navi Runa, Vol. 01
  • Youkai Navi Runa, Vol. 02
  • Magic-Scars (The Crown of Stones, #2)
C.S. Marks has often been described as a ‘Renaissance woman’. The child of an English professor, Chris has always loved classic literature as well as epic fantasy, and decided to try her hand at writing and illustrating an epic series. The result: The very successful Elfhunter trilogy, which has sold over 40,000 copies both in print and e-book form. This epic trilogy has garnered awards (Reviewer’ ...more

Tales of Alterra, The World That Is (3 books)
  • Fire-Heart (Tales of Alterra, The World That Is #2)
  • Ravenshade (Tales of Alterra, the World that Is #3)

News & Interviews

“awareness of what should be does not always govern the choice of one’s heart as to what will be.” 1 likes
“She-elves were therefore his next choice, for although they knew no more of healing pestilence that he did, they still seemed to have unique instincts. Galador knew, for example, that Gaelen’s idea of embracing a raving, sweat-soaked, delirious man would never have occurred to him, but it had certainly made a difference to Rogond.” 1 likes