Start by marking “Once Bitten (A Melanie Travis Mystery)” as Want to Read:
Once Bitten (A Melanie Travis Mystery)

Once Bitten (Melanie Travis #8)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  723 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
"Beware! Pick up Once Bitten and it will sink its fangs into your imagination. You'll read straight through to the end." --Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown

"An entertaining mystery."--Publishers Weekly

With her former fiancé off finding himself Melanie Travis figures the only ring she'll be seeing is one where she's showing her prized poodles. Meanwhile her brother Frank

Published July 2nd 2013 by Kensington Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Once Bitten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Bitten

Teresa in Ohio
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
This is a comfortable cozy series to just read and let the story play out. It is like catching up at a family reunion once a year. Only I got sidetracked with this series and read somewhat out of order so I back up to catch up in Melanie's life. She is still showing dogs, trying to sort out her relationship with Sam, deal with Davy's absent father coming back into their lives and a missing person.

This time it is more mystery less murder. Bertie is planning her wedding when her wedding planner g
Julesy
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie's future sister-in-law Bertie, a dog handler, asks that she investigate the disappearance of her wedding planner, Sara, another dog handler. But Sara's cottage is set on fire and a dead body is found inside. Melanie tries to find the answers as to why Sara disappeared and who wished to kill her. Another great entry to this series. Luckily, the love triangle has been resolved!
Carol
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog loving mystery lovers
Recommended to Carol by: no one
Shelves: mystery
This was a fun mystery to read at bedtime. No scary things that go "bump in the night", no knives plunging out of the depths (and therefore giving me nightmares when I finally do turn out the lights) but a good "who done it" with the added attraction of dogs (Poodles! And the Standard version at that) figuring heavily in the plot. It's nice to see a story where one breed figures predominantly without making snide comments about other breeds and/or their owners (the Shelties were portrayed - in m ...more
Rose Blum
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm getting sucked into this series!
Rose Blum
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost gave this book 5 stars. If you like dog shows & poodles then this is a series for you! I've always wanted a big poodle. I had a mid sized poodle that I rescued from the cold one winter when I was a teenager & took her home to the ranch ~ everybody loved her!!!!! We have Australian Shepherds.
Lena Harper
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Good variety of mysteries in this series. They're not all just a murder and it's solving, there's always a unique twist.
Lauren
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book
Cyndi
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Fun beach read, enjoyable throughout, no bad language. I like the main character.
Kathryn
This includes spoilers from the previous Melanie Travis mystery, so if you haven't read it yet and don't want to be spoiled, turn back now!

Still here, eh? That must mean you've finished this books predecessor, Unleashed, and if you are like me, you were disappointed to see Melanie's fiance Sam take off for an undetermined time following his ex-wife's murder for reflection and what-not. Author Berenson, however, appeases us in Once Bitten by fulfilling the promise of a wedding -- that of Melanie'
Jen
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Melanie Travis’s brother Frank is getting married, but when his wedding co-ordinator Sarah disappears, Melanie must either find her, or take her place. She hasn’t spoken with her fiancé Sam since he left several months ago to “find himself” and now, her ex-husband Bob re-enters her life and wants to start over with her and Davy. Meanwhile, instead of exhibiting poodles in the show ring. Aunt Peg is now a judge
I love Laurien’s books. They are filled with a host of unique, well-rounded characters
Vanet Jensen
The venue is different and it is very unusual for me to read a book in a series out of order. But in this case I was desperate, l had read everything on hand and so I did read it out of order. Very easy candy read with characters that I really didn't get too attached to. I did enjoy that the Melanie, this series sleuth was not injured, nor threatened. It was refreshing and enjoyable enough for me to read the other two books I have in this series.
Emily Cullen
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie Travis's brother is getting married and when the wedding planner goes missing Melanie's sister-in-law-to-be asks for her help. She is also busy finishing off her standard poodle's championship. I really like the "Melanie Travis" cozy mystery series. Melanie is likable and there is a great supporting cast. I especially enjoy watching Melanie's son grow up and keeping track of Melanie's romances. There is an awful lot of dog show and dog talk so if dogs aren't your thing you may not like t ...more
Cindy
Sep 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery and dog lovers
Shelves: mysteries, series
Poor Melanie. Her perfect fiancee just ran off into the blue. Her job is okay, her son is fine, the poodles are okay, and then who shows up--but her ex-husband, Bob. Meanwhile, her brother is getting married in 2 weeks and the wedding planner is AWOL. And she's got 2 dog shows.

I'm not into dog shows at all, but I do like animals and I can really relate to Melanie's crazy life and family. A fun book.

CMB
Lauretta Farrell
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of Berenson's books I've read, and it was just as enjoyable as the first. Built around the world of show dogs -- specifically poodles, it tells the story of a single mother struggling to take care of her young son and two poodles -- one in the ring, the other still a puppy. Woven into this is mystery and murder, all the while educating the reader about the sow dog world. It is a relatively easy read, with just enough intrigue to keep you interested.
Lori Walker
These are super fast reads, and if you are really into dog shows and particularly the Standard Poodle breed, they are very interesting. The mysteries are usually clever, and in this one, I wasn't positive who did it until the very end, which always makes me happy. I only gave it a 3 because it is pretty specialized...I have some friends who have read a couple of this series, only to put it down because they just don't care about all the doggy stuff.
C-shaw
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this stuck in my bookshelves and after I'd read a good bit of it, found some notes indicating I'd read it before. I'll have to give it away now, because it certainly wasn't good enough to read a third time. Too much stuff about standard poodles and dog shows, subjects that hold no interest whatsoever for me.
Kelly
I enjoyed this book when I read it two years ago - mysteries written around dog show folks are bound to be my cup of tea. I found the book suspenseful enough to hold my attention. with the audio book I really didn't enjoy the narrator and will avoid future books she narrates. I just found the she read slightly too quickly and I didn't enjoy her voice.
elisia conrardy
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once Bitten

Once Bitten

I have loved all of the Melanie Travis mysteries. Her family human and canine seem so real I feel like I am reading a letter from either a great friend or much loved member of my family
Pat
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another in the Melanie Travis mysteries! I have learned much about dog shows and the people who love them. It gives me a whole new appreciation for people and dogs who do this. The mystery was good, too.
wendy
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love at first woof

I love this series. funny, intense well written, great characters. Great dogs. quirky family. Love, loss and everything in between. although Sam's reappearance was a bit predictable
Neva Williams
Adding this book many years after the fact. I honestly don't remember the book - adding it from a list of books that I had read at the time - but the fact that I didn't read any more by this author speaks volumes. I do love books with dogs, so I may just have to give this series another try.
Cathy
Feb 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun new series I stumbled upon. This is the first I've read, although it's about the middle of the series. A light hearted mystery with an okay dose of dog show info. Easy to follow with only a few references to what happened prior to this installment.
Helen
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good one!
Debbie
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining. Learned a few things about dog shows!
Kathy
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying this series. Love all the poodles.
Shirl
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good dog story, a good mystery and a good read.
  • Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Ten Little Bloodhounds
  • Putting On The Dog (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #2)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
Laurien Berenson is the bestselling author of the Melanie Travis canine mystery series. Her books revolve around the world of dog shows, a milieu she knows well as her family has been involved in the sport of dogs for three generations. There are currently twenty-two Melanie Travis mysteries, including the newest book, RUFF JUSTICE.

Berenson is a four time winner of the Maxwell Award for Fiction fr
More about Laurien Berenson

Melanie Travis (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)
  • Hush Puppy (Melanie Travis, #6)
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)
  • Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • What the Dead Know
    $8.74 $2.99
  • Ragdoll (Detective William Fawkes #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
“Men. Who needs them when you can have dogs?” 1 likes
“I’ve begun to have those stupid dreams. You know the ones where you show up for the final exam and haven’t cracked a book all semester?” 1 likes