Start by marking “Meeting at the Milestone” as Want to Read:
Meeting at the Milestone

Meeting at the Milestone

In this moving and profound novel, Sigurd Hoel explores belief and traitorism through the major character's memories of the underground during World War II in Norway. At the dark center of this work are questions of why certain individuals turn against their own country, their own values, and their own "selves" so to speak. But in this weaving of fact and fiction, the fait ...more
Published December 1st 2000 by Green Integer (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Meeting at the Milestone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meeting at the Milestone

Nanou
Какая неожиданно прекрасная оказалась книга, а ведь еще до самой середины казалось, что это традиционное скандинавское виноватое глядение в черный пупок души, как вдруг все недомолвки главного героя сложились в какой-то захватывающий шпионский сюжет и невероятно правдоподобную историю любви.
Sverre
Sigurd Hoel (1890-1960) was a prolific acclaimed Norwegian writer of about thirty novels and collections of short stories and articles published in the span of four decades from the 1920s to the 60s. He spent some years in his mid-thirties (during the 1920s) in Germany and France studying and writing. During the German occupation (1940-45) he became active in the Resistance and had to escape to Sweden in 1943. Besides writing, and translating foreign authors’ works to Norwegian, he had an ongoin ...more
Ida Marie Heggem
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
Surprising ending!
I really liked it though. It was intriguing and exiting, always kept the reader a little on edge. At the same time it opened up for reflection over and consideration of our time's big mysteries: Why did so many choose Nazism under WWII?
Nevertheless it has all the necessary aspects for a good read: love, friendship, problems and amazing descriptions.
Mary Kay
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, shocking, a wonderful reading experience. I raced through it for my book club meeting so will need to review final paragraphs and think about his stated project goal and its final form. Well worth rereading.
Ronald Morton
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
”It is difficult to speak honestly about oneself. Difficult to speak honestly alotogether, perhaps. But about oneself? And one’s own youth?

“We forget. We distort. We misrepresent and idolize – and constantly falsify. Even at the moment we experience something we falsify it, tailoring it, trimming a heel here and slicing a toe there, to make it agree with our wishful thinking about ourselves and others.

“But we’re worst of all where the past is concerned. For there, as a rule, we don’t even have
Elin Sofie
Aug 14, 2015
Ida Marie Moklef Sørensen
Feb 05, 2017
Paulina
rated it did not like it
Mar 09, 2016
Mar 02, 2016
Magnus
Mar 31, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sigurd Hoel was a Norwegian author and publishing consultant.
His literary career began with the short story «Idioten» («the Idiot») from 1918, when he won a writing contest. The same year he became an employee of «Socialdemokraten» («The Social Democrat», a newspaper) as a literature and theater critic.

In 1924 he traveled to Berlin to study socialism, and there he wrote his first novel, «Syvstjern