Start by marking “Toward Night's End” as Want to Read:
Toward Night's End

Read Book* *Different edition

Toward Night's End

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This WWII novel of Japanese-American honor and patriotism begins on March 30, 1942 when more than 250 Japanese-Americans living on Bainbridge Island, in Puget Sound, Washington, are being evacuated. The process goes quite smoothly until the Army discovers that a 21-year old Japanese-American fisherman, Matthew Kobata, is missing. During their search for Matthew, two Caucas ...more
Published May 19th 2011 by Salt Castle Publications

To ask other readers questions about Toward Night's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toward Night's End

Karen
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once I started reading this book, I could not put it down.
I loved the historical information woven into the story and really felt like I could understand what it must have felt like to be interned as a Japanese American after Pearl Harbor was attacked. Or how your devotion to country was questioned and the prejudice that other Americans had towards them.
Well written story.
Carl
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If one likes a mystery and historical fiction, this is the book for you. M. H Sargent’s “Toward Night’s End” is a well written mystery, with likable characters, an historically engaging story line, and well developed setting and local color. “Toward Night’s End” is a complex story of murder, sedition and the internment of the more than 250 Japanese-Americans living on Bainbridge Island, near Seattle, Washington, in 1942. The greed, fear, prejudice of the government ordered internment of the Japa ...more
Tracy
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will not summarize the plot because it looks like many others here have done that already. I enjoyed the descriptions of the Japanese-Americans and the struggle that they had during World War Two. They were portrayed with a certain dignity and desire to treat others respect even while in the relocation center. I have seen some pictures in a museum of the areas that they had to live in. This book brought more of that to life for me.
Also, I found the mystery of the book to be interesting. The
Tim
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book - a solid mystery/thriller. I really enjoyed how Sargent wrote about the Japanese-Americans during the Second World War. I've read a lot about the European side of the war, but this was a great story dealing with the Pacific front.

The plot and characters were well developed. I really liked the character of Matthew, as well as the Seattle police detective.

I would highly recommend this book to others!
Red Rocky
This is the story of a young Japanese man living with his family in the US at the outset of WW2. It is a story of intrigue, mystery & bravery. What it lacks is depth and the fascinating history of the Japanese Americans living through this time. An enjoyable read, but I would've liked background knowledge.
Karen Noland
While I enjoyed the story and the mystery, I felt this book lacked depth, character and feeling. I also did not find a sense of time and place in this book. So much more could have been developed to really entice the reader into the worlds of the characters.
Karen
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two threads, wonderfully interwoven into one story. On the one hand this is a mystery that keeps you guessing until the end. On the other hand it’s a glimpse into a Japanese internment camp just after Pearl Harbor. Prejudice, faith in family, and honor abound. Definitely a 5 star rating!
Suzanne L Hay
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
An American Story

This book is America at it's best and worse. It gives some insight to the plight of Japanese Americans during a time of embarrassment to the country.
Paula
This is a good book mystery/historical fiction about the Japanese American's. It is mostly a mystery but talks about the camps that the Japanese were sent to. It was a good clean read.
Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bainbridge Island beautiful!

A Great friend was from there and it is one of the places that really brought the story to life
Kim
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the plot, but the writing drove me crazy. There were so many sentence fragments, and everyone was surprised, constantly. I get it, what happened was surprising.
Diane Hoerstman
Nov 09, 2017
Liz Wood
May 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Too Close to the Sun: Growing Up in the Shadow of My Grandparents, Franklin and Eleanor
  • Weak Flesh
  • One Snowy Knight (The Dragons of Challon, #3)
  • Sentimental Journey
  • The Last Justice
  • Coding Isis
  • The Devil and Preston Black (Murder Ballads and Whiskey)
  • Death of a Lovable Geek (Dotsy Lamb, #2)
  • Winston's War (Winston Churchill #1)
  • Disappearance at Mount Sinai (Pat O'Malley Steampunk Mysteries #2)
  • The Barbarian's Mistress
  • Watches of the Night (Ben Reese, #5)
  • The Spruce Gum Box
  • American Taliban: How War, Sex, Sin, and Power Bind Jihadists and the Radical Right
  • London Broil (Wendy Darlin Tomb Raider #2)
  • Oh, That I Had Wings
  • Badwater (Forensic Geology #2)
  • The Macgregor's Daughter