Start by marking “Big Hair, Don't Care” as Want to Read:
Big Hair, Don't Care

Big Hair, Don't Care

Lola has really really REALLY big hair, much bigger than the other kids at her school, but that doesn't stop her from telling anyone who will listen just how much she LOVES her hair!

Its not always easy being a kid. Designed to boost self-esteem and build confidence in kids of all races, this beautifully illustrated picture book is aimed at boys and girls who may need a
Published September 22nd 2013 by Goldest Karat Publishing (first published September 21st 2013)

Start your review of Big Hair, Don't Care
Thandeka Carney
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cute

It's a really simple yet cute book my daughter keep touching her head. She kept saying she loves her hair it was too cute
Elisabeth
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Aimed at younger picture book readers, this book is full of positive messages about big beautiful natural hair. The rhyming was over the top and heavy handed, but the illustrations were pretty darn cute. I bet kids won't be as "judgy" as I am and will just enjoy reading about another kid who is proud of herself and the way she looks.
Ursula

Awesome! Very sweet book. Go read it! :)
LaSheba
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Very cute pictures and fun storyline!
MANAMI LEWIS
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have big hair like hair and I don't care
Cennie
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written for girls with curls!

This book is a nice read to helping girls accept their hair and themselves for who they are. Beautiful comes in many varieties!
Yanira Daniel
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely book!
Rita
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bought for my goddaughter to help her appreciate one of the many things that are different about her. Very cute for simple book, and loved it!
Leigha
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can see why a book like this would be important to a young person with similar hair as the main character in this picture book. I hope many people can find and read books like this that help them love who they are and embrace their differences.

I have curly and red hair. I can remember some books from my childhood seemed to shame curly (and red) hair as it was not the ideal type of hair to have. I think it was done in subtle ways that only a little girl who had that hair type would notice. I
Alex McCormick
This book is about a young black girl who loves and enjoys her naturally big hair. This book relates to my topic because it teaches young black girls to love their hair and be proud of the many ways they can wear it. It deals with cultural idenitiy in the sense that it is making a place for young black girls to enjoy characteristics about themselves that is sometimes overlooked or shunned by society. This book checks off on many areas of the Quality Children's Book checklist, but the one I will ...more
Brenica Miles
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1. Big Hair, Don't Care! by Crystal Swain- Bates and Illustrated by Megan Bair. 2013
2. Social and Emotion setting. This book teaches self-esteem and acceptance of one's self.
3. This book shows the reader how to be proud of who you are. Although this little girl was happy about the many hair styles that she could do with her hair, she also recognized the disadvantages of having big hair but, she didn't care! She made fun of it by daring the reader to sit behind her at their own risk. I would use
Courtney Duncan
This book is about a little girl named Lola who has humongous hair. Contrary to many books about black girl's hair that I have read before. Lola is very confident in herself and absolutely loves her hair. As authors always emphasize, it is important for children to see representations of themselves. I love that Lola is already confident about her hair rather than having to wait for anyone's approval to love her own hair. This book has stood out to me time and time again because of this. Lola ...more
Deena
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for my daughter, who at six months is still a few years away from reading, but she enjoys looking at books and pictures. This is a sweet little book for young Black and biracial girls with beautiful, natural hair. I myself have "big hair" and growing up was always told how out of control it was and how I needed to wear it up or in a braid. I wish this book or something like it had existed when I was growing up. It will be a great story to read over and over with my precious ...more
Frankie
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kids will love this book!!!!#

I would definitely recommend this book for all individuals who love reading. Being kind to strangers is a Bible principle and sometimes, we allow our cultural differences to deter us. We can still achieve this task.
This book gives a precise outlook on what a little girl experiences with having a different hair texture. It was an easy read and quite entertaining with great illustrations.
Wendy Tuell
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The most adorable book! I love the part where the little girl discusses the disadvantages of her Afro while playing hide-in-seek and the picture shows her hair a little higher than the bushes! So cute! Then she explains all the special ways her mom can fix her hair. There is an illustration for each style. My favorite one was puffs! Highly recommended.
Lynnae Young
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! This picture book intended for children ages 3-7 is a real self-esteem booster. This book is directed towards African American children but is awesome for all children who may not like something about their appearance and need something to boost their confidence. The young girl in the book, Lola, has big curly hair unlike the other kids at her school but she does not stop her from expressing how much she loves her hair. She shows all the fun styles she can but her hair in even ...more
Regina Drake
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Positive Reflection

This book is wonderfully illustrated with pictures of children that will transcend racial lines. The characters represent self, friends, cousins, schoolmates, and others who make up communities everywhere. The language is inclusive and provides a good platform for early readers who will be sure to find the story humorous as well as informative. I rated this book a five. The topic is important and its focus can provide an introduction for parents who want to raise children who
Deborah sue Sloan
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because I got big hair. My hair is my glory and it was one of my most precious moments I shared with my grandmother.She always reminded how beautiful we are. Oh yea ! People love Hair so much the buy it and big Hair is number 1.

Big hair is number 1. People buy it and stop and stare. Big hair makes you and others smile. Oh the things you can do with big hair. Every girl should read about big Hair
Jo Oehrlein
Shows a girl and her friend finding joy in their natural hair, mostly big, bug sometimes in braids, twists or puffs.

Rhyming text.

I like Hair Love better, but this one is good, too.
Danielle Jones
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very creative book and it's like a personal narrative i saw a lot of books like this it's unique fun and colorful it's artistic

It's a very good book for kids who a have a chance of getting forward getting jobs have kids,artistic expression! And you are a very creative person your awesome! You are beautiful woman.
Christina J Lopez
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve got big hair and I don’t care

I love this story about a girl owning her appearance and hair and not caring what others think. It’s refreshing since there is so much going on with kids. Freedom story to be free being you and told on such a cute rhythmic way with cute graphics as well.
Staci
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My daughter Loved this book!

I asked what she liked about the book. She replied "Everything!" So I asked what she liked best about it. She replied "The whole book." Then even more emphatically "I liked everything about the whole book!"
Karen
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Big hair

Love this book about a little afro American girl proud of the way her beautiful fluffy hair looks.I really admire books helping out daughters and granddaughters to be proud of their looks.
Arnette Young
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Big Hair

This book meets many common core standards elementary school students. It also provides valuable lessons in confidence and acceptance. I have already recommended this book to others.
Kelly
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I gave this book 4 stars based mostly on handling a topic pretty well. The text was just ok, had a nice flow, but I really wanted it to jump off the page more. The illustrations, while very cute, also felt flat and were repeated, which was a little weird.
Danielle Bryant
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love how she is so confident and she is proud of who she is!

I read it because I want my daughter to be confident and proud that she is black and she shouldn't be ashamed of who she is
JANICKA SANFORD
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really sweet

I really liked this book. I don't have children yet. But I was drawn to this book, because I have natural hair. This book will certainly be in my little girls library one day.
Jessie
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This is the story of a girl finding joy in her natural hair. It mostly shows one style, but there's a series of pages with her wearing it in different styles.

(Poor puppy with its fur in a bun, though.)
LEILANY
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
It is talking about how the girl loves her hair

I consider that more people read this book and that they know that people with a lot of hair example: I have big hair are greatly for all of these hair and would never get rigged of it

Rachel Robinson
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very cute

Very cute, to the point and fun to read to my niece. Because she have big, thick hair. I love it when her mom puts her hair in puffs, twists, braids, etc. Big hair helps you to be confident of who you are and whose you are!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Please, Baby, Please
  • Frozen: The Junior Novelization
  • The Snail Who Forgot The Mail
  • Those Shoes
  • What If Everybody Did That?
  • Curlilocks and the Three Pink Pandas
  • Look What Brown Can Do! (An everyday modern Black History book for children ages 5-7)
  • June Peters, You Will Change The World One Day
  • Lubna and Pebble
  • Curlilocks and the Big Bad Hairbrush
  • Don't Touch My Hair!
  • Dream Big
  • The Best Seat in Second Grade (I Can Read ~ Level 2)
  • Under My Hijab