Start by marking “Tenor of Love: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Tenor of Love: A Novel

Tenor of Love: A Novel

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  66 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A NOVEL OF PASSION AND BETRAYAL, ART AND AMBITION BASED ON THE LIFE OF ONE OF THE GREATEST OPERA SINGERS OF ALL TIME

One summer day in 1897, a young singer, Enrico Caruso, arrives at the home of the Giachetti family. He has come to Livorno to sing on the summer stage with Ada Giachetti, a famous and beautiful soprano. Ada's mother offers him a spare room, and before Ada her

Published January 11th 2005 by Touchstone (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tenor of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tenor of Love

Tea Jovanović
Lepa priča o Enriku Karuzu... Upoznala sam autorku tokom sajma u Torontu davne 2005. jer sam želela da je dovedem na sajam u Beograd... Popile smo kafu, popričale i zaključila sam da nema svrhe dovoditi je u Beograd jer je toliko stidljiva i povučena osoba da bi novinarima bilo teško da iz nje izvuku neku reč a i čitaoci... Pa smo odustali od te ideje...
Kanađani generalno imaju divnu književnost i autore... Nešto između ozbiljne lepe književnosti i visokokvalitetne komercijale koja to baš i nije
Karla
Feb 18, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish
Couldn't even get through the prologue. It read like hideous slam poetry. But I'm being redundant.
Amber
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A favorite.
Julie
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Meh. A few beautiful lines, and certainly a story with potential, but the author's attempts to compose high art using salacious plot details ultimately come across as flat.
Stacy
Apr 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
If it weren't for the fact that I have an EXTREMELY hard time putting a book down halfway through and walking away, I'd have never finished this one. It is relatively short yet it took me a good 8 weeks to read it. Why? Because I was just not enthused about picking it up and reading it. I'd go to a magazine, the paper, or the internet before choosing to continue slogging through this little novel.

I wanted to like it, I truly did. The concept is excellent. But I hated Caruso and his self-importa
Britni
Jan 26, 2009 rated it liked it
I picked this book up at a crown book store with a bunch of others, this one didn't strike me as moving as I was hoping for so I set it aside for my last read of the bunch. It wasn't a long book full of sugar coating. It got right to the center of the story but without such climax you would expect. The novel is based on true individuals of the opera world as they struggle to succeed the main love interest being Enrico Crusoe the famed opera tenor. I loved the setting of the novel as well. It is ...more
Shauna
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
The first half of this book proves that excessive talent does not keep people from being stupid. Caruso and the two soprano sisters (Ada and Rina) were idiots--talented divas, yes, but selfish and thoughtless, letting their actions extend their hurt and damage beyond their own lives. I had no sympathy for their "love" or how those desires played out. The second half of the book provided some breath of relief in the figure of Dorothy, but even she couldn't salvage the mess Caruso had made with hi ...more
Ashlie McDiarmid
May 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sadly, this is a book that was written beautifully, but with no character that I could connect with on any level. All of them were emotionally abusive. Some were the completely selfish and damaged artists, and others were the martyrs. I would love to read this author's poetry because the beautiful word play is the only thing that kept me till the end.
Brittany
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, romance
This was perhaps one of the most beautiful love stories I've read from an author of this century. A Victorian feel to the entire book, I found myself enthralled throughout. I'd love to pick it up again and just re-read it in a day, as it was a lovely book. Di Michele did a wonderful job of weaving emotions with secrecy, and finding the inner human even amongst super stars. Brilliant book.
Sylvie
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
4 maybe not for the witting per se, but the story. Really enjoyed it.
Pauline
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
The singer Enrico Caruso, although an incredible opera singer, lead a passionate and deceptive life.
Cally
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the most beautifully-written book I've ever read.
Laura Lee
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Two Italian sisters who loved the same man.
Bernadette
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fictional account based on two of the three great loves in Caruso's life. The stories give a fascinating look into one of opera's legends.
BookDigger
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Captivating novel. Rather interesting plot line and wonderful characterization. Again, it's one of those novels that my words wouldn't do it justice.
Christin
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
An interesting book once you get into it. I didn't know which sister to root for and in the end they both lost.
Kristen