Start by marking “Tao Te Ching” as Want to Read:
Tao Te Ching

Tao Te Ching

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  174 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
This translation captures the terse and enigmatic beauty of the ancient original and resists the tendency toward interpretive paraphrase found in many other editions. Along with the complete translation, Lombardo and Addiss provide one or more key lines from the original Chinese for each of the eighty-one sections, together with a transliteration of the Chinese characters ...more
Published July 14th 2011 by Hackett Publishing Co.

To ask other readers questions about Tao Te Ching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tao Te Ching

Sorento62
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing

I loved the glossary of Chinese characters in the Lombardo/Addiss edition. One line of each section is shown in Chinese as well as in English, with the glossary in the back to allow one to do a direct translation. I am left with the question, is there any grammar in Chinese?

Favorite quote:
"Govern big countries
Like you cook little fish."

26.0% The Way of Quiet Power
47.0% "The crippled becomes whole." :-)
56.0% Praises the virtues of quiet oneness over the frenzy of desire, striving, separation.
Christopher
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 really.

3 for the actual Tao Te Ching itself. It is a great refreshing non-abrhamic and non-humanist world view for which I give it credit, and as a personal philosophy its fine, but despite its claims it cannot be a civic outlook. Im closer to the Legalists on this one. If we want a secure environment with accommodates inevitable psychopathic ambition whilst directing it elsewhere we need to acknowledge realpolotik. We cant have the freedom to be philosophers without a strong army, I'm sorry
Bill Currie
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
One never knows with Chinese translation from documents over 2000 years old what would be the perfectly correct meaning. The Tao has been translating so many times from so many languages I can only hope this latest edition is as true to the original thought as one can be.

However what pleased me most was the cautious rendering in which the translators made their determinations of word or sentence choice. Along with providing a line of Chinese with each saying and a vocabulary at the back of the
Nick Russo
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A contemporary way of thinking about Daoism:

The person who has to ask if this is the right street is lost.
Likewise, the person who is constantly assuring you that this is the right street is also lost.
The person who takes each step without thinking of whether this is the right street or not is the one who is on the right street. He or she won't think about whether or not it is the right path, because at that point they too become lost.

Caroline
May 27, 2015 added it
Shelves: asian-authors
This a really interesting book. It's mostly true paradoxes, which means it depends a lot on language. There's no plot or anything, and is very open to interpretation. For that reason I would like to read it in a few translations. I read the free kindle version which was not a great translation because it changed style a lot.
Andrew
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Much easier to understand than I had expected. This translation is beautifully illustrated with brushstrokes, simple, and accessible to laymen. What I thought would be mysticism turned out to be practical and down to earth.
Graham P
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Essential lessons in humility, spirit, and goodwill.
Matt McMahon
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read at least one chapter of this poem everyday and every day I find something new. The translation is very important as many translations will not make sense in today's world.

Jasper
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
Re-reading some old favorites at the end of the year.
Diana
Shelves: favorites
Deep & intense
Kara
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Everyone needs to get their Eastern philosophy grind on every once in a while. This is a good place to start.
Apoorv
Jul 04, 2016
Carina Llaneta
Jun 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lao Tzu (Chinese: 老子; pinyin: Lǎozǐ; Wade-Giles: Laosi; also Laozi, Lao Tse, Lao Tu, Lao-Tsu, Laotze, Laosi, Lao Zi, Laocius, Lao Ce, and other variations) was a mystic philosopher of ancient China, best known as the author of the Tao Te Ching (often simply referred to as Laozi). His association with the Tao Te Ching has led him to be traditionally considered the founder of Taoism (pronounced as " ...more
More about Lao Tzu
“This world has no need for weapons,
Which soon turn on themselves.
Where armies camp, nettles grow;
After each war, years of famine.

The most fruitful outcome
Does not depend on force,
But succeeds without arrogance