Start by marking “Lightspeed Magazine, March 2013” as Want to Read:
Lightspeed Magazine, March 2013

Lightspeed Magazine, March 2013

Lightspeed is an online science fiction and fantasy magazine. In its pages, you will find science fiction: from near-future, sociological soft SF, to far-future, star-spanning hard SF--and fantasy: from epic fantasy, sword-and-sorcery, and contemporary urban tales, to magical realism, science-fantasy, and folktales.

In this month's issue, we have original science fiction by
Published February 28th 2013 by John Joseph Adams

To ask other readers questions about Lightspeed Magazine, March 2013, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lightspeed Magazine, March 2013

Start your review of Lightspeed Magazine, March 2013
Eric Mesa
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Got this as part of a Humble Bundle in 2015, I think. Finally got around to it. There were some really great and moving stories in here. As usual with anthologies, a collection of my status updates:

"Things Undone" (Novella) - That was a crazy emotional ride. We often read time travel stories concerned with what might change.

This one takes place in the alternate world in which a discovery changes the progress of technology completely. A catastrophic time travel event takes place and we follow in
Aildiin
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
The reprint of John Barnes novella "Things Undone" was pretty good but the rest of the stories were really not my cup of tea...
So giving this 2 stars
G33z3r
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
This issue was mostly a waste for me. The majority of the stories left me scratching my head, as if I'd misunderstood or totally missed the point.

I thought the e-book exclusive novella reprint, "Things Undone", was the best part of the issue. It's a nice time travel story.

Of the fantasy stories, "Lily Red" left me with that "what it I miss?" feeling at the end.

"The Bolts Tightener" and "Ash Minette" were interesting, easy reading, though they both felt a bit obvious in their destination from the
R Lee
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not much to say, as I'm tired of jotting out these little reviews at the moment. Awesome time travel novella by John Barnes, "Things Undone".

Loved the two fantasy short stories that largely focused on imagery/setting, "The Bolt Tightener" and "Three Days of Rain". And the sci-fi that really worked for me was "The Dream Detective", "Biographical Fragments of the Life of Julian Prince", and "Let's Take This Viral". So a really all-around great issue.

The two fairy tale twists and the novel excerpt
Anthony
Review to come after I post my story-by-story reviews on my Livejournal.

* * ** *

No real disappointments in this issue. I think I enjoyed (even if I didn't completely understand the mechanics of) the John Barnes novella the most, as well as the Fowler, Ulibarri and Savage pieces, but there wasn't a single story I felt let down by this time out.

Individual story reviews can be found here: http://365shortstories.livejournal.co...
Steven Shinder
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it
There are some interesting stories in here. The interview with Phillip Pullman, however, kind of makes me not want to read his work since he criticizes J.R.R. Tolkien negatively for not tackling issues of human sexuality.
Shawn Camp
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2013, magazine
Just so so for this issue. Only stand out story had to be Biographical Fragments by Jake Kerr.
Manuel Núñez
May 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
The Bolt Tightener was my favourite short story in this issue. Superb!
Neal Dench
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
With next month's issue just round the corner, I think I'm done with this month's now.
Lea
Mar 01, 2013
Kenny V
Nov 17, 2015
Mord
rated it did not like it
Jan 19, 2016
Steven Miscandlon
Apr 04, 2015
Chris Hyde
Mar 04, 2013
John Joseph Adams is the series editor of BEST AMERICAN SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY. He is also the bestselling editor of many other anthologies, such as ROBOT UPRISINGS, DEAD MAN'S HAND, BRAVE NEW WORLDS,WASTELANDS, and THE LIVING DEAD. Recent and forthcoming books include WHAT THE #@&% IS THAT?, OPERATION ARCANA, PRESS START TO PLAY, LOOSED UPON THE WORLD, and THE APOCALYPSE TRIPTYCH (consisti ...more