Start by marking “Baptism of Fire (The Witcher, #3)” as Want to Read:
Baptism of Fire (The Witcher, #3)

Baptism of Fire

(The Witcher #3)

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  55,631 ratings  ·  2,288 reviews
The Wizards Guild has been shattered by a coup and, in the uproar, Geralt was seriously injured. The Witcher is supposed to be a guardian of the innocent, a protector of those in need, a defender against powerful and dangerous monsters that prey on men in dark times.

But now that dark times have fallen upon the world, Geralt is helpless until he has recovered from his injur
Published June 24th 2014 by Orbit (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Baptism of Fire, please sign up.
Donald Hutchison at first i didn't like the introduction of the storyteller at the start of the last chapter, it suddenly felt lame to introduce the whole series as a …moreat first i didn't like the introduction of the storyteller at the start of the last chapter, it suddenly felt lame to introduce the whole series as a tale that's being told to children (and the events of the story being something thats already occured), but after thinking about it for a while it's totally the author talking about this exact thing - the abrupt ending of the book.

the kids (readers) complain that the story hasn't ended and they don't want to wait 6 months / a year for the storyteller to return to their village (wait for sapkowski to write a new book). so he's kind of playing with the audience and through the old storyteller is clearly pointing out that it's not an ending - just that if he tells the whole story now he's not going to sell any more books in the series and people will get bored by such a long book.

it's kind of cheeky of the author, but when you look at it that way it's quite fun and unusual(less)

·  55,631 ratings  ·  2,288 reviews

Start your review of Baptism of Fire (The Witcher, #3)
Sr3yas
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

Not only this is my favorite Witcher book, but this might just be my favorite fantasy book where hardly anything happens to further the plot.

Okay, I am not even sure that is a classifiable category, but I am going to roll with it.

[Mild spoilers ahead and major spoilers are made invisible by magic (view spoiler)]

A lion's share of this tale belongs to Witcher and his posse's journey to Nifflegard [Which they never reach] and the rest of the
Evgeny
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In the previous book Geralt's POV ended with him getting beaten the crap out of, in a really bad way. In the beginning of this book he did not recovered, but he really had no time for full recovery as he needed to finish what he was trying to do before he was stopped. He left the sanctuary he was staying in and went straight toward the war front - all the nearby kingdoms were entertaining themselves in all-out war. Geralt still had an illusion that he would be able to stay neutral. To make a lon ...more
James Tivendale
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
My adventure with The Witcher novels continues at a breakneck pace as, like the previous books, I devoured this story in two days. This series has shown moments of utter brilliance but with certain plodding and info-dumping sections, it's never quite ascended to the heights that it truly could have. Until now. So far this is the finest entry and it features everything I love from this series.

Following the finale of Time of Contempt Geralt is badly injured and was transported to Brokilon forest
Joey Woolfardis
This review can be found on Amaranthine Reads.

We come to book three of the Witcher series, or book five if you're counting the first two collections of short stories. Whichever way you want to look at it, Baptism of Fire is the same dull book as it would be in any order.

The series continues with Geralt the Witcher searching the land for the Child Surprise, Ciri. The war rages on around them and it seems every faction is on the look out for Ciri, too. But Geralt is injured and the sorcerers are i
Michelle
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: witcherverse
As usual, Andrzej Sapkowski continues to immerse the reader in the vast world of “The Witcher” series. “Baptism of Fire” is grittier than the previous entries, but despite the grim darkness of the world it presents, it is nonetheless charming and funny -- and is, in another sense, a celebration of good companionship. There is a lot of time spent with Geralt and his newly acquired fellowship, which I think was a good decision. The new characters -- mainly Regis, Milva, Zoltan and Cahir -- are won ...more
Deborah Obida
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, adult
Baptism of Fire is indeed the best book in The Witcher series, it picks up a few months from where The Time of Contempt ended.

‘Fire purges. And hardens. It must be passed through. Aenyell’hael, ell’ea, sor’ca? In your tongue: a baptism of fire.’

This book has qualities that I admire in fantasy. Friendship, loyalty, magic, female characters etc.

The plot progression here is fast paced and very well executed, the book is narrated 50% from Geralt's point of view and the remaining 50% from other
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/08/23/a...

Over the last two months, I’ve been working my way through all the available Witcher Saga novels in audiobook format. The series is surprisingly addictive, so much so that it feels like I was just listening to the first book Blood of Elves yesterday. And now that I’ve come to the end of book three, I find myself a bit lost and drifting. After all, the print version of the next book (The Swallow’s Tower) hasn’t even been
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Best book in the series so far!

Also let's appreciate this gif

Image result for shrek and geralt gif
Lucia
Jan 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, fantasy
I really tried but it is time for me to quit this series.

Let's just hope that Netflix does better job with adaptation of this series because full-length novels are huge failure in my eyes. After great The Last Wish and good Sword of Destiny, I suffered through first three full-length books in this series and I seriously can't take any more. This series is getting worse and worse with every instalment and I'M DONE.

The Witcher books have the worst narration ever - I hated the constant POV switch.
Bradley
I'm still entranced by these novels.

It's sometimes hard to see why. I mean, the way the plot flows, it's almost like there's no sense of structure, just things happening, more character development, and the far-off whispers of big things to come. The war? Already started in the last book. This one is more an off-the-scene recuperation and focused side-quest to get Ciri back. Somehow.

And yet.

Jeeze... the 'and yet' is as big as a lake of fire. And yet, from the start to the finish, I'm totally e
Dana Ilie
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The 3rd book in the series, and definitely the best one so far. In the first two books the author is building the characters, make us understand the world and magic system, is setting up the plot.

I’m loving The Witcher series more and more with every book I read. I can't wait to get my hands on the next one, and I recommend this to any fantasy lover. These are brilliant books.
Anirudh
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
It is a sad experience when your favourite book lets you down. The Witcher, spawner of books and 3 hugely popular games fails to create the charm it held in the previous books of the series.

Plot The biggest let down of the book, the plot of Baptism of Fire is simply non existent. The story is about Geralt setting out to find Ciri but the story gets lost midway. In the whole book, nothing really happens. The witcher mopes, grunts and travels and yet reaches nowhere. There is no ending or a twist
Elle
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What are we up to now, book five? I’m still planning to make it to the end of this series, despite its flaws. There’s a lot of build-up, and I’m just hoping it amounts to something epic by the end.

We pick up with Geralt recovering from some pretty serious injuries, though it isn’t long before everyone’s back in the swing of things. I guess I’ve just got to accept that Andrzej Sapkowski will keep jumping around without explaining who or what is happening until well into the scene. His style is ‘
Celise
Netflix is making a TV series adaptation of these books and I am HYPED. I highly, highly recommend reading the series, starting with The Last Wish, which is a short story anthology introducing the world and characters. Two of the books in this series have been some of my most enjoyed reads, and have made it onto my rather sparsely populated favourites list. This review doesn't really contain spoilers, but you probably won't want to read it if you haven't read the books.

Baptism of Fire is the fif
Jennifer Melzer
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The symbolic Baptism of Fire is repeated throughout the story, as beliefs are challenged, paths reforged and it becomes certain that through the fire one must trek if he wishes to be born anew, like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

There were so many delightful parts of this story, clever and witty moments that made me laugh out loud, as well as emotionally gripping instances that touched my heart in ways that will surely linger long after the entire story is finished.

Now I move swiftly into Th
John McDermott
Another great addition to the series and probably my favourite so far. Some great new characters are introduced ; all of whom will be great on the TV series (which I'm loving by the way). Highly recommended.
Zitong Ren
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book three of the Witcher, done! So far, out of the first three that I have, in a way, binged in the last four days, book 2, The Time of Contempt, remains my favourite out of all the books. Books 1 and 3, which I have just finished, are both very well written and engaging fantasies, though, in my opinion was not on the level of book 2. I do have criticisms for all 3 of the books, if anybody wants to be bothered reading a random guy’s opinions about books on the internet.

I would like to say tha
Trish
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This 3rd full-length novel about the witcher Geralt of Rivia has him very much injured from the events of the previous volume. At least at the start. Then he does what Geralt does best: he travels across the country on a mission. This time, however, he's not hunting a monster. Instead, he's looking for Ciri. Actually, he is told she's at the emperor's court in Nilfgaard so that is where he's going. We still don't know what's happened to Yennefer (initially) so it's just Geralt and Dandelion.
Duri
Fadi Antwan
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

I have to say, the main saga, at least when it comes to the last two books, is no joke. It requires a lot of attention, so consider yourselves warned. So many characters have been introduced over the last two books, it's hard to keep track of who's who sometimes. and rarely is important information given explicitly. I had make deductions and read some passages over and over again to make sure I really understood what happened. I'm fairly certain it's not the translation, just the author's w
Caro the Helmet Lady
So this is the book where seemingly the action is less fast paced, especialy comparing to the one before, but we get many new characters and all of them are just awesome. Also we get to observe the atrocities of war and these descriptions made of short but very effective sentences are gut wrenching...
I haven't mentioned it before, but I absolutely love little intros starting every chapter of the Saga. This was very smart idea to write those, master Sapkowski.

Triss, how could you?..
Franzi
4.5 Stars

So this was more like a fantasy roadtrip and I actually liked this a lot, I'd even say this is my favorite entry of the series so far. We sadly don't get to see that much of Ciri, but I think the newer characters make up for it.
Sara
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of plot development in this installment as we find Geralt forming a fellowship of misfits (including Zoltan!) in his quest to rescue Ciri. The plot is very Witcher focused here, with little deviation into what our other heroes are doing, which meant we got a lot more character development between Dandelion, Geralt and everyone else. It was nice to see how the plot is finally coming together after such a slow burn. We do also still get glimpses of what Yennefer and Ciri are up to, just so th ...more
Melinda
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I think this is my favourite book in the series up to now 🖤
I just LOVE and care about all the characters, they are so awesome!
At this point I like this series so much that I started to be sad about there are only two more books till the end...
If You wanna read a great series, I definitely definitely recommend Witcher!☺️
And it was so funny, I laughed a lot 😀
Kaya
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Since when did you know anything about mimicking bird calls, Zoltan?’ ‘That’s the whole point. If you hear a strange, unrecognizable sound, you’ll know it’s me.”

This book is the strongest one when you consider the character development so far, but the weakest one if you have in mind the plot and action. All our main characters are departed and looking for each other while simultaneously hiding from the common enemy. After a while, it becomes repetitive they have no idea what to do with thei
Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad)
It's book #5 in the whole Geralt saga but why it feels like it's only the beginning? Geralt could look for Ciri for about 1000 years, meeting new peeps on the road, killing or not killing beasts, I would read that.

description

The way Sapkowski writes about war, race, nature is pure amazeballs. The harmony between saying too much and saying too little is wonderful. You aren't loaded with description but have enough details to paint the picture yourself. When he writes about war, I believe him. Also, big app
Ana
Sir Geralt of Rivia. ‘Ha, ha,’ indeed!
Anthony K
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, I am eating these things up like muthafuckin candy. I love all the characters... well except Yen lol... I am a long time witcher fan from the games, and Yen has always rubbed me the wrong way... although I guess she rubs Geralt the right way :P

Im already pretty deep into the next book, I just havent taken the time to get on GR the last week.

Highly recommend these.
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Spoiler-free review, you can read this even if you haven‘t read the previous books.

This series is so unique. It took me a while to get into it but I‘m so glad I didn‘t give up on it. The world, the themes, the characters all really grew to me.

In Baptism of Fire you get a lot of Geralt. We follow him and his companions (who are all amazing characters by the way) on their journey through the war torn land to find Ciri. I loved the group dynamics and how disturbing war is portrayed and how we expi
Laura ☾
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is picking up again!

Full review to come..
Amanda Hupe
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
Baptism of Fire by Andrzej Sapkowski is the third book in the Witcher Series (or the 5th, if you count the intro and tales.) This book picks up with the aftermath of the fall of the Wizards Guild. Geralt is injured pretty severely and Ciri is still missing. However, kings are plotting. They say they have Ciri. However, she is still among the Rats and her power grows. Geralt will stop at nothing to find Ciri, even if that means tracking through Nilfgaard. War is all around and trust is rare. Gera ...more

• The Witcher, Vol. 1: House of Glass
  • The World of the Witcher
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 2: Fox Children
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The Witcher Library Edition Volume 1
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 3: Curse of Crows
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 4: Of Flesh and Flame
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • Fallen Angels #1
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • Metro 2033 (Metro, #1)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more

The Witcher (6 books)
  • Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #1)
  • The Time of Contempt (The Witcher, #2)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
  • Season of Storms (The Witcher #6)