Start by marking “Revenge of the Elf (Nysta #1)” as Want to Read:
Revenge of the Elf (Nysta #1)

Revenge of the Elf

(Nysta #1)

First in an ongoing Heroic Fantasy series, 'Revenge of the Elf' promises unrelenting action, oddball mages, and a foul-mouthed wisecracking heroine tougher than a hardboiled egg. Following in the footsteps of Conan, Drizzt, the Gray Mouser, Elric, Druss, and many more heroes of Sword and Sorcery, the elf called Nysta will carve her own epic path.

And that path will be blood
Published December 5th 2013 by Lateral Books (first published May 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Revenge of the Elf, please sign up.
Lucas Thorn hi! i'm sorry i had not replied to this. i'm not used to questions! i had actually thought of putting the first two in an omnibus, but then changed my…morehi! i'm sorry i had not replied to this. i'm not used to questions! i had actually thought of putting the first two in an omnibus, but then changed my mind because i'm writing them in 6-part arcs. this first arc is about how nysta gets to the Wall. i was thinking, then, of doing a massive volume of the first 6 books (5 are nysta, and the 6th is the Hemlock and Melganaderna book coming out in July).

those valve sales... those will kill you. i know. they kill me every time. i have a bunch of games i've never even installed! i buy them thinking "oooh, shiny!" and then find a different shiny. then forget about the first two shinies...(less)

Start your review of Revenge of the Elf (Nysta #1)
Sadie Forsythe
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5, but I'll round up

I went into this book with high hopes of a strong, kick-ass female warrior. And I had reason to. The following is from the latter half of the Author's Note:
Nysta is certainly the culmination of many years of dissatisfaction in the presentation of female characters in fantasy.

As such, Nysta will never heal anyone with amazing healing powers. She will never drink tea and discuss dresses. She will not stand back and watch her boyfriend fight the monster.

She will not be rescued
Justine
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I began reading this book with basically no knowledge of what I was in for, other than the author telling me, and I quote: “Prepare for blood, violence, blood, swearing elves, violence, blood…”. Obviously, this became a must-read for me and Thorn so graciously delivered on his promise.

This is a story that sheds light on the dark and consuming path of vengeance. On the pain and fear that fuel and bolster one’s resolve. On the worry of disappointing those you truly care for, those who always seem
T.O. Munro
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should by way of disclosure admit that some months ago Lucas Thorn wrote a thoughtful and fair review of my first book on his website. This is a fact that Lucas did not tell (share or tweet) to me and which I only discovered recently entirely by the accident of googling my own book. However, we have exchanged views about the review-starvation that can afflict indie authors and the discovery of his review gave an added impetus to put my goodreads activity where my tweets were (or as we might ha ...more
Andrew Hale
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining but some reservations.

While reading this, I quickly felt like I was reading a western. I liked it for that. I didn't like the excessive foul language. I'm disheartened that one of the toughest characters is talked about in past tense because he's dead. I cheered for Nysta and Chukshene although they both are miserable, foul, and murderous (the last one more so Nysta).

I do, however, enjoy a gritty and dark tale of revenge. I'm not sure what will come of the storyline between the thre
Fiannawolf
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Some days I enjoy reading about a character that is blunt and straightforward. Definitely a nice turn of events with regards to how he portrays elves. I like Berserk (the manga) just fine so the cursing and violence in the narrative didn't bother me too much. Basically its a dark fantasy and I came in expecting such things. Bought the whole series back when it was on a flash deal via Amazon. Looking forward to tackling the next books.

Recommended if books akin to the Witcher are your cup of tea.
Lissette
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, revenge
This is one of those unique cases where I hate how the book was written, and I flat-out despise the puns that ended every chapter, yet I want to keep reading. I like the characters, and I like the story, and I am willing to ignore my irritation over the writing style in order to get to them. It's great to see such a strong, independent female lead.

I do hope to see some flashbacks of Nysta's husband. I adored him right away!
Dick Martin
I have read all three of his books in this series and they just keep getting better and more intense in Nysta's journey to what I think of as finding her true self and purpose.I don't know what the future holds for this elf but I know I can't wait to read the next book.
Indigo
Rape threats and homophobic taunts before we get to Nysta. Described as not pretty by her husband and then again by the narrative, which goes on to use an adjective usually used to describe the skin of a black woman. Done. Disgusted.
Kollisionwhispervortex
F this F that.. pretty much sums up the story.
Jonathan Edward
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
First half of this book was utterly fascinating. The second half was utterly boring. This book was 5 stars until the characters got to the town of Spikewrist. Then the plot folded in on itself, the magic was not believable, the moment of vengeance too coincidental and the fight scenes just too damn long. I might try the authors second book in the series, hoping that his writing improves. What a terrible end to something that started so well. The author completely botched the latter half of the b ...more
Ruby Ridge
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hot damn, this is one of the best fantasies I have ever read (and I have read a lot of them).
I absolutely loved the heroine, an elf outlaw Josey Wales (if you have not seen the movie you really need to).
I loved this book so much I have gone and got the next three in the series.
Nysta has become one of my favorite female characters, Lucas, please keep writing lots of sequels. Also if any movie makers are reading this - what are you waiting for?
Very highly recommended.
Five stars are not enough!!!
Vicky Camp
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read it in one go.

I recognised the bits of influenced writing in this book and was glad the author acknowledges it in the end. If ever a character was reincarnated in grand style this one has been. Nysta is all an anti heroine needs to be and I can recommend her story to anyone who enjoys fury and mercilessness in the face of overwhelming odds.
Piper
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ummm!

Going to read this series to the end. Nysta is broken and a lot crazy, but the author is taking you through her life so you can see what made her that way. A dark and twisted fantasy. But she loved her man.
The Shayne-Train
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the bloodiest, grittiest, Grimdarkiest fantasy/noir book I've ever read. Swears and blood, hatred and violence, and more swears, and secrets, and revenge, all bathed in blood.

And there was BLOOD. And SWEARS.

I am definitely going to have to read more of this series.
Peter Cornell
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Decent Read

I kept expecting something to happen to make the book something special. It didn't. The ending just left me hanging. Disappointing.
Jeffrey A. Dewey
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Darkness

The start of a very dark saga, the death of a scarred loved one resulting in seeking vengeance against those only to release an unknown foe from its confinds
Herman Dirk
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
It starts good, but sinks. It has to do with Nysta and the way the story goes. World building is nice, plot ok.
Thok Zet
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so this review will be aimed at all the books in the series so far (5 at the time of writing this)

If you're looking for a fantasy series that doesn't follow all of today's unspoken rules about what fantasy is supposed to be - then this it. All the concepts I've come to expect - a generic teenage main character, high moral standards, long blocks of text about politics and history - all that is pretty much turned upside down. Right from the start you are introduced to a dark and cruel world an
Angie
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really really wanted to like this book. But no matter how much I tried to force myself to like it, I just couldn't.

I give credit to the author for trying hard to change the way people look at Elves. Unfortunately it is a lost cause, to many books and movies have been created at this point to get away with it. I can't help but think of them as tall, willowy people that can be cold hearted but are also good for the most part. Here I got a scarred up elf that curse almost ever other word. I could
Michael
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Yagiz Erkan
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an impulse buy for me, and I'm glad I did it. It was very enjoyable, in a way a Conan story by Robert E. Howard is. The developing story is intriguing, and the protagonist is interesting enough to make the reader wonder about her future.

I can see why some people could never pass the dialogs peppered with many f*#%s. My main complaint is not about the vulgarity, because, in my opinion, this adds to the realism of the story. Bad-ass protagonists don't talk like royalties, and thieves and
Made DNA
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lucas Thorn's first book in the Nysta series gut-punches both the reader and the protagonist right off the start. Though punctuated with chuckle-worthy pop culture references and humor, the book is a nasty, bile-flavored read through and through. True to the title, it is a tale of revenge; death following Nysta as she single-mindedly focuses on destroying the jackwagons who murdered her husband.

This is a fantastic indie novel: well-written, well thought-out, and well-edited. Fantasy lovers will
Liz
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the characters in the book. The main two characters were witty, and relate-able with the scenario that they must travel throughout the story. I can't wait for the next book in line to come out.
Nysta is a kick ass unlikely heroin that just makes you want to help her out and take some of the pain from her away.
Elizabeth Talley
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Good Bones

The basic idea of the story is pretty good. Anger, grief, and guilt mixed with a little revenge could possibly make a really deep character. Unfortunately the f-in f-bomb every f-in sentence kind of takes away from the brief glimpses of good character interaction. It was still a f-in fun book to read!
david scott morris
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good to the last drop. I want more.

Great. Book.
I really can relate to the way this book was written. It had a lots of action, natural dialogue, and an appropriate feel.
Kevin Harrington
Dec 18, 2018
John Duhon
Sep 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Temper (Red Mage Book 2)
  • Advent (Red Mage, #1)
  • Demon Lord (New World, #1)
  • Echo Online 3: A GameLit Harem
  • Echo Online 2: A GameLit Harem
  • Vampire Lord: Conquering a Bloodthirsty Earth
  • Demon Rogue (The Half-Demon Rogue, #1)
  • Echo Online: A GameLit Harem
  • Blood Sacrifice (Sorcerer's Creed #1)
  • Emperor Forged (An Empire Reforged Book 1)
  • Syn City Legends
  • Power Mage 6
  • The Fractured World
  • The Legend of the Kestrel (The Sylvan Chronicles, #1)
  • Swing Shift
  • The World Walker (The World Walker, #1)
  • The Unmaking Engine (The World Walker, #2)
  • Meta Marshal Service 1: An Urban Fantasy Harem Adventure
Lucas Thorn, is the author of the Nysta series which begins with the action-packed 'Revenge of the Elf'. A fan of swordpunk, he dreams of a day when pulp fantasy makes its violent and savage comeback.

Currently he lives in Melbourne, Australia, and hopes one day to live on a mountain.

More information about his books can be found on his website, http://www.lucasthorn.com.

Nysta (8 books)
  • Duel at Grimwood Creek (Nysta #2)
  • When Goblins Rage (Nysta #3)
  • Blade of the Vampire King (Nysta #4)
  • The Wall of Darkest Shadow (Nysta #5)
  • Sea of Revenants (Nysta Book 6)
  • Assassin of Dragonclaw (Nysta Book 7)
  • Scion of Dragonclaw (Nysta Book 8)