Start by marking “My Life at the MBRC (Magical Beings' Rehabilitation Center, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Life at the MBRC (Magical Beings' Rehabilitation Center, #1)

My Life at the MBRC

(Magical Beings' Rehabilitation Center #1)

Morgan Fae was perfectly normal until she met Dave, the chubby vampire. After the fat leech accidentally reveals his true nature to her, Morgan is dragged to the Magical Beings’ Rehabilitation Center, an organization that strives to integrate magical beings into human society.

After becoming employed at the MBRC, Morgan discovers that real magical beings are not like the
Published July 1st 2011 by Take Out The Trash! (first published January 1st 2011)

Start your review of My Life at the MBRC (Magical Beings' Rehabilitation Center, #1)
Coyora Dokusho
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
GREAT!! But I got some quibbles. Typos, e.g. shotty instead of shoddy. LOVE POLYGON. Mary-Sue-ism... BLATANT MARY-SUE-ISM.

Extremely funny!!!

Dying for the next one!!!
Jasey
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*Warning: may contain minor spoilers* I am very happy that I decided to pick this book up. I loved the characters, I loved the story, and I LOVED how often it was able to make me laugh! Okay, okay there were a few things that I didn't particularly like, but I think that the good stuff overules the bad stuff. Time for a list!

Bad stuff that kinda made me wince/roll my eyes

• There was a love triangle, of course. Scratch that, if there was a love ANYTHING it was more of a PENTAGON than a triangle. I
Jessie
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, paranormal
I loved Morgan! After learning that her substitute teacher is a vampire, and the new student a werewolf, Morgan is taken to the Magical Beings Rehabilitation Center to have her memory wiped. The siren who can do it, is out of the office for a few weeks, so in the meantime, Morgan helps out at the rehabilitation center and learns that everything popular media has taught her about magical beings was lies!
-vampires can be chubby and bald
-werewolves are scrawny, not tan and buff
-cyclops are smart
W.R. Gingell
I honestly don't know how to rate this, so I'm not going to try. It was fun, funny, and weird--which is a pretty good trifecta in my book. Read in between writing spurts to give myself some off time, and it was perfect for taking my mind away from what I was actually MEANT to be doing.
Lynn
This was a fun read but it did have some issues. I rounded up with a very generous 4 star rating. This was probably closer to a 3 star.

I have read other books by this author but I can tell this is her first published or at the very least one from very early in her career. It has classic ameteur writing tells that many first time self published authors use. Everyone exclaims, proclaims, espouses etc, etc instead of just saying things. Do you notice this too with newbie writers? New authors, some
Jasey
Review to come! With blabbering and me trying to explain how great this is of course!
Pascale
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So fun! I didn’t think I would like it but took a chance and once I started reading I couldn’t put it down! I see there are a couple of sequels so I will definitely be reading those too.
C.S.
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, why didn't I start this book sooner? I've read and enjoyed a few of K.M. Shea's other books. I had this on my list to read eventually. It just didn't sound like my normal thing. Boy was I wrong. I LOVED this book. I love Morgan. I thought I'd be upset at how easily she accepted everything, except that's just her personality. She just rolls with the punches for the most part. She's amazing and doesn't take crap from anyone. Yet this isn't one of those books where she's some normal girl, ...more
Mary
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of those books where you go to Check out book 2 and find out there isn't one. Humor, action, and a teen heroine whose persona makes you think high school wasn't all bad...I can see this as a movie!
Teya Peck
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVED this book. Creative, fun, light, and yummy. It's youthful, but I loved it. It was unexpected and clever. I would recommend it to anybody of all ages. Including my 8 year old. So cute!
Donna
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Magical

High school and mystical beings bring complications to Morgan's life as four boys try to win her and her best friend steals her crush. Forget what you think you know about vampires, fairies, goblins, werewolves etc. because the story books got it all wrong!
Lexie
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Guys...guys this was SUCH a fun, entertaining novel. Granted there was some editing gaffs that were hard not to notice ("senior smith" instead "senor smith" for instance.) and Madeline got on my nerves a bit.

Also, and I don't really say this often so take it to heart readers, but this MAY have benefitted from being broken up into multiple books. A Duology at least, a trilogy quite possibly and I think if this had been traditionally published they would have asked for as much.

In essence this
Emily Bessas
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing.Nothing like the romance novels that can be annoying. The part that hooked me the most is probably how funny she is around the people at the Magical Beings Rehabilitation Center.( or MBRC)
That's not the only reason though. All of the other characters are extremely well defined and detailed. I highly recommend this book to people who like funny books with a little bit of romance. Over all this is a great book and a lot of people will like it.
Kara Broadhead
Morgan is your typical high school student, (well maybe a bit more focused on her studies than i ever was while at school, but that seems to be a thin these days ha ha!) until she walks in on an argument between her new Spanish substitute teacher and the new kid. An argument over tomato juice, which results in new kid turning into a wolf. turns out new kid is a werewolf and the sub is a vampire? A chubby slightly balding vampire? Twilight has lied to her over so much!
Morgan is than taken to the
Gemma
Another good book by K.M.Shea

I very much enjoyed reading vampires drink tomato juice by K.M. Shea I've always enjoyed her a different take on fairy tales and this is just an extension of that work. Vampires drink tomato juice is something completely different to the normal aspect of magical beings, in how we would normally describe certain creatures to be. In this book they are nothing you've ever seen before, within this book we've got overweight bald vampires, different colour unicorns that
Barbara Hackel
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When your Spanish teacher is out having a baby, you get a long term sub, and hopefully a good Spanish speaking teacher. Not so for high school student Morgan Fae. She has the feeling her teacher knows less Spanish than her. And then there is that new boy-maybe part albino?-who doesn't know enough Spanish for a second year student but is new to the class. When Morgan goes back to the classroom to ask the teacher a question, she is shocked to see the boy forcing the teacher to drink from a thermos ...more
Georgia
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, it should be known that I am very committed to this book. VERY. I recommended it to a friend and when she began to read it I was so overcome I cried with happiness. But I digress.

MY THOUGHTS
This is a fun, light, clean read- it's not heavy with emotion or strife, something to enjoy to cheer you up after a hard day. Perfect for all ages
CHARACTERS
The characters in this book are all fun and interesting, even if they all appear to share a certain cheerfulness that isn't usually seen in
Jon Spriggs
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what I was thinking when I got this book! I think got it during a "First Reads" selection through my Prime membership, and put it to one side until I had a chance to read it.

Blimey, the title really doesn't sell itself well! This is a well written YA paranormal adventure, with more than a few twists. There's a couple of small leaps of faith - the part where the heroine of the story discovers the supernatural world particularly stands out as being a significant "jump", but once
Dana Fraedrich
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been looking for good urban fantasy lately. I don't mean shifter or vampire romance. I want it all! A friend of mine has a great phrase for the kind of thing I've been looking for: everyday fairy problems, and VDTJ totally hit the spot. It looks at the usual paranormal/fantasy stereotypes and, like Yzma from The Emperor's New Groove, smashes them with a hammer! A vampire who gets sick at the sight or smell of blood, an emo centaur obsessed with technology, and hot goblins. I enjoyed this ...more
Katherine
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this this modern urban fantasy which is very funny and kept me reading. I love the heroine. She is not exactly fearless but she is better than fearless. She faces things head on and with pluck. Loving all the characters and their weird personalities. This is not a typical high school student from Chicago! If you like Harry Potter you may like this. The whole idea of a magical being rehabilitation center is a cool idea.l Another thing that is great about it is unlike a lot of modern ...more
Krystyna
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Take one human teenage girl add lots of supernaturals = fabulous read

A wonderful read. Full of humour and emotion whilst still fresh and fun. It started of as any other day in High School until she realised that she had left something behind after Spanish. Going back to fetch it shouldn't have brought her face to face with a vampire and a werewolf. The solution seems to be that she will work at the supernatural HQ until she can have her memory wiped. After all what can one human girl do to harm
Heather Gilbert
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-na, paranormal, funny
Hilarious!!!

No matter your age, this book is splendidly funny! You know that seen in the first Men in Black when Will Smith ventures into alien central for the first time? All those strange creatures running around, being oddly human and astoundingly normal? Yeah...this is like that - but with fairytale creatures, and monsters...and better. Oh, and instead of a fit beat cop, we get a 16 year old girl with a straight moral compass and an attitude. Good times abound.

Pros:
- Funny, Funny, Funny!
Graylark
The story was somewhat entertaining, despite being a bit too campy. It tried maybe just a little too hard to be ridiculous and funny. Somewhere at the point where apparently a whole bunch of magical beings were incredibly interested in listening to lectures about the nerd/ geek/ cool/ etc. cliques in human high school, my suspension of disbelief snapped.

Additionally, this is one of those books where apparently the whole world of various ages and species is all inexplicably panting after the
Omiai
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
brilliantly funny with a new take on magical creatures and their world.
I love the interaction between the human world and the magical world, and the idea of trying to rehabilitate creatures to be able to live in our world, such as the fat, balding vampire being a substitute teacher, a gorgeous goblin running a massive company, and a squat, ridiculously shy unicorn becoming a therapy pony for kids.
The whole book has a wonderful charm to it, the characters are all unique and utterly fantastic.
Charlotte
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!

This is different to a lot of the books I've e been reading lately but I'm.so.glad I took a chance on it. It's a refreshing take on the paranormal with some scenes that made me laugh out loud. It is also really well written and flowd really well. I never felt.like thw author was time filling. Although I guessed one of the plotlines I didn't guess the way it would be revealed which kept the book interesting. I'll definitely be reading the rest of this series and other books by this
Kendra Parker
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. The story is almost a riff on the Men in Black idea, only more fantasy than alien. Still, the high school aged heroine is funny and the story has so many cute angles to it.

Mostly the story is about the heroine finding a way to work with the magical beings in Chicago. There isn’t much romance, but the way she develops friendships and helps others in somewhat unexpected ways makes for an even better story.

If you like comedy and urban fantasy, check out this book bits an easy read and
Joy
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little too much high school angst and romance for my tastes but it was still very readable and fairly entertaining. The characters are fun and the world is interesting. I was going to give this 3 stars because it was so silly in places (many many places) but then I realised I was sufficiently taken with it to want to read the next one, so I think it really deserves four stars.
Anoush
A fun YA paranormal. Very high scool, a bit of obliviousness in the main character in relation to the relationships around her. Lots of world building, not a lot of plot. Too many potential love interests. (view spoiler)
Aditi
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
It was definitely set to be hilarious and I was quite excited to read this book. A few things though

It's donor not donator, I still can't get over that.

I can't believe everyone falls for the lead, there is way too much fawning going on. We almost never hear anything about her family or anything it is weird.
Kat Klein
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better YA books I've read. Morgan finds out that fairy tales are real... vampires, werewolves, elves. Even Unicorns. But perhaps not as advertised. While it's definitely a young adult, it's about as far from Twilight as you can get. I will be sending a copy over for my grandkids to read. I think they will love them.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Desperate Quest (Second Age of Retha, #2)
  • The Luckless (Second Age of Retha, #1)
  • The Revived (Second Age of Retha, #3)
  • A Beautiful Curse (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • A Bear's Bride (Entwined Tales, #3)
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms Book 5)
  • A Little Mermaid (Entwined Tales, #5)
  • Between Frames (The City Between, #4)
  • An Inconvenient Princess (Entwined Tales, #6)
  • An Unnatural Beanstalk (Entwined Tales, #2)
  • Daughter of Lies: A Reimagining of Snow White (The Andari Chronicles Book 5)
  • The Queen of Gold and Straw (Fairy Tale Kingdoms, #2)
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Dropbears (The City Between #5.5)
  • All the Different Shades of Blue (The City Between #6.5)
  • The Lady and the Wish (Faraway Castle, #4)
  • Between Floors (The City Between #3)
  • Pathways (Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Between Jobs (The City Between, #1)
K.M. Shea is going progressively bald from pulling all of her hair out when she writes.

She has a BA in Print Journalism and a minor in Japanese. She's worked as a freelance reporter, a librarian, a blogger, and an author. She lives in the country with Perfect Dog.

Magical Beings' Rehabilitation Center (3 books)
  • Goblins Wear Suits (The Magical Beings' Rehabilitation Center, #2)
  • Lost Files of the Magical Beings' Rehabilitation Center: a MBRC Anthology (Magical Beings' Rehabilitation Center #3)
“We stick to the magical places in the world,” Asahi clarified.

“Places like the MBRC, the Redwood forest of California, the less populated parts of New Zealand and Japan, Disney World, and Atlantis,” Madeline listed, ticking the places off on her fingers.

“Wait, Disney World?” I interrupted.

“The most magical place on Earth.”
16 likes
“Hunter, you can’t seriously be the Goblin King. You’re not even sixteen yet! I had to give you a ride to the store after school in September when we were getting supplies for Homecoming decorations!” 15 likes