Start by marking “Not From Around Here” as Want to Read:
Not From Around Here

Not From Around Here

"Sometimes things go better than you think, and
sometimes they go worse. But they never go the way you expect." ---Alan Trente
Walk into a world where very real people find themselves in unreal situations, and witness: a young man is sitting in a
salon getting his haircut, when he sees someone waving to
him in the mirror. He looks around and realizes...the man waving is not
Paperback, Print, 274 pages
Published November 18th 2013 by Pallingsboro Press

To ask other readers questions about Not From Around Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not From Around Here

Start your review of Not From Around Here
L.A.
Have you ever looked in a mirror and wondered what was behind the reflection? How about meeting someone for the first time and realizing you will be lifelong friends? With an influx of bizarre tales and strange phenomena many stories of the unusual tend crop up.

In Not From Around Here by Larry Hochwald, you are treated to a collection of 18 just such stories. The amazing a bizarre happenstance keeps you going as each creates and indelible mark in your thoughts. Can such things truly happen?
Mary S.
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Not From Around Here,” by Larry Hochwald is a collection of fiction that spans horror, fantasy, humor, literary, contemporary and science fiction genres. However, it is more than just a collection of exciting and surprising stories. There are several threads and themes that run throughout and, without providing a spoiler, I can tell you that it all comes together.
It starts, innocently enough, with a story called “Best Friend”. By the end of that story I was hooked. I was surprised by what
Pajomh
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Don't miss out on this book!
“Not From Around Here” by Larry Hochwald is a must read! It’ a real “page-turner”. I couldn’t wait to start the next story. You will think you found lost episodes of “The Twilight Zone” in some cases. Even if you aren’t a fan of Science Fiction, the stories are so good and well written, you’ll love them anyway. The stories are just enough to stretch the imagination—and some, just make you think or wonder. His writing style is easy and comfortable to follow with
Kelly W
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
I haven't read a book of short stories for ages and was happy to receive my copy from Goodreads. I very much enjoyed Not From Around Here. Some of the stories made me laugh out loud, some made me cry and several of them raised the hairs on the back of my neck. Larry Hochwald can really tell a story ! I identified with some of his characters that took me back to a long-ago childhood.

I "figured out" some of his stories before I finished them, but it didn't spoil them at all. Most of his tales
Lu H
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An extremely brilliant writer! I am becoming addicted to his creative mind. I wish I could rate this fifty stars instead of five. I am grateful for discovering this book. The first story was engaging and emotional and from there is was like a wild ride. The second story, Placebo Effect was so exciting and original. There are horror stories in here that made me laugh when they weren't scaring me. And I didn't think I was a big science fiction fan but the story WALL was so great and so thoughtful ...more
Rebecca Black
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hello M.Night Shyamalan, great stories are waiting for you in Larry Hochwald's book, Not From Around Here. I truly expect to see at least one of Larry's stories on the big screen. Each of his short stories grabs the reader in a very personal way. Some of the stories, I felt I was there with the characters. All, I didn't want to end.

I enjoyed this book of short stories and highly recommend it to all my friends.
Kelly
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I usually don't read books of short stories but I received this free from a Goodreads giveaway.

I gave it 4 stars because some of the stories were every bit 5 star worthy, others were barely 3 stars so I went for the average. I almost gave up reading after the first few stories. I thought the dialogue was predictable and the stories seemed to jump over some parts where the plot should have been worked out more. But then I got to "Join the Club" and got sucked in. It was a great horror story!

So
Lucas P
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Throughout all eighteen stories I was consistently enthralled, and then shocked by the endings. There are very few things left in life that are totally original- but this book is one of them! The stories are at times spooky.sometimes funny but always engaging. while being a very easy read. I found the book diverse. which helped to maintain my interest and made me eager to read the twist in the next story. It was extremely creative, well written and clever and as I finished the ...more
Ben Willen
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was very happy to find this book. it was recommended to me and I've read a lot of classics and a lot of the most well known books and I'm always looking for new stories, but the new books and less known authors often leave me wanting. This collection was very well done and I loved the range of stories. What tied them together, more than the underlying plot line, is that they are all well written, surprising and amazingly original. This was an exciting, suspenseful, scary, funny, ...more
R_b_eblac
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book packs a wallop!
This book is perfect for anyone! Well, perhaps not young children, but “Not From Around Here” by Larry Hochwald will tantalize all who read it. I especially love the fact that each short story -- love short stories -- is different and exciting. Larry's characters are so well throughout that they seem real, which is what all readers crave. This is a readers book!

Most of Larry's stories would be perfect for M. Night Shyamalan even the first story, Best Friends. I'd
Rk_bookman
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and the way the words come together so well! If you took Raymond Carver, Isaac Asimov, and Woody Allen, and blended them together youd come up with the short stories of Larry Hochwald. Its like youre going through an enchanting maze and with each discovery of a new passage you are enlightened and filled with amazement.
Kandy Scaramuzzo
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a very intriguing and entertaining collection of stories. I would have to say my favorite of all the stories was "Faker". All the stories have twists and turns that keep the reader interested and enthralled with the possibility of what could happen next. The stories are loosely woven together to make the book flow. The caliber of stories and the way the were written remind me a lot of Rod Serling and his Night Gallery stories. If you read the bios of both authors you wills see that they ...more
Richard My
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing

(100%)
I'm finished with Not From Around Here: I loved 15 stories, liked 1 a lot (Revelation) but that was a long story and think it could've appeared in a different spot. The book has a lot of momentum at the beginning, settles into a nice pace in the middle, but Revelation is a cerebral sci-fi thinker near the end that I liked but slows down the pace before the next two pick it up big time! I thought 2 stories were just okay (When This War Began and The Group). This book was a quick read for
Carl LW
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book.
Andi Houtsch
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Not From Around Here is a collection of 18 short stories ranging in genres from horror to paranormal to science fiction. Starting with “Best Friend” the book begins on slightly predictable note with an adult man pining for family meeting a ghost boy. This is the last point at which I thought that anything in this book was predictable, and for a variety of reasons.

Hochwald has a talent for storytelling, evidenced in the range of genres he collected herein. His ideas are imaginative and a great
Mike Green
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My friend recommended this for Halloween reading because I like horror and fantasy, among other stuff. I just read it and wow--I enjoyed it so much. It's got scary stories, funny stories, exciting stories, surprises and some are all of the above! Gotta admit, both Join the club and Present for miky surprised me, and were about as scary as any book i read. Didn't want them to end !
SusanB
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved most of the stories in this book. I read the ebook first, then bought a signed paperback from the author. I found the ebook has been edited again because there were none of the issues cited by other reviewers. But even the paperback errors were minor and didn't detract form the content at all. This was an exciting book that made me laugh a lot, and scared me at times. I recommend it to anyone who likes good fiction, or likes horror, science fiction and exciting stuff!
Pumpkin
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
There were some really nice stories in here - and you do need the last story to tie the collection together properly. It could have been so much better if the editors had done their job properly.
Queen Spades
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Extended Review is on The Review Board.

There was plenty of conflict to go around with each of the stories. The conflict presented in each story did contribute to moving each one along. In the majority of the stories, I could actually feel as if I were there. This served as a plus for the author. The author’s quirky sense of humor is sprinkled throughout the collection. My quirkiness could connect with the humor rather well.

Yet there were plenty of chances for improvement with this write. With
Amy Palmer
Mar 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
I didn't-COULDN'T-finish this book. I'm not going to waste precious reading time on something like this. Life is too short to read crappy books. At least it was free.
Bella Ashley
Nov 09, 2018
Topainga Hernandez
rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2014
Joyce Rainey
Jul 02, 2018
Cb Gt
May 29, 2015

• Stroganov (Darby Stansfield #2)
I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. That may not seem particularly special because a lot of people are from Brooklyn, but Brooklyn isn't like anywhere else. There is a dynamism and sense of community here. It's vibrant and diverse and the epitome of what people think of when they imagine the great things about the city. These qualities in your landscape help to develop a writer. Then, I ...more