Start by marking “Doctor Strange: Season One” as Want to Read:
Doctor Strange: Season One

Doctor Strange: Season One

(Marvel Season One)

A window-crashing, high-flying, globe-traveling, ghost-battling adventure from the earliest days of Doctor Strange’s training in the mystic arts! Part Indiana Jones, part Lord of the Rings, thrill to this new tale of how a selfish, arrogant surgeon collided with a hot-headed martial artist to become the greatest team the mystic arts have ever seen!
Published September 12th 2012 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Strange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Strange

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! It had been sitting on my shelf for far too long & I'm glad I decided to give it a go. I loved the characters & the story line & the illustrations were perfection.
Anne
Season One stuff was supposed to give readers a fresh take on the origins of certain Marvel characters and/or teams. Sometimes it worked well ( X-Men: Season One), sometimes it didn't ( Spider-Man: Season One).
This one was ok.

description

Strange's origin (narcissistic surgeon, car accident, ruined hands, empty bank account, no hope, hello...Ancient One!) was basically told in a couple of pages with no dialogue. It's only once he shows up on the mountaintop that this story begins.

description

The opening at the temple
Mohammed Arabey
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since Stan Lee wrote, Steve Ditko illustrated Doctor Strange in 1963, to creat a new dimension to the Marvel comics world..
The World of Magic,

And, like 53 years later, the Marvel studios add the character to enrich its Cinematic Universe,

Amazingly by Benedict Cumberbatch portraying this rich character change from selfishness and arrogance to a Superhero..
That's what literally transferred us into this amazing adventures of multi dimensions, that leaves you wanting more..

travel more between these
Kemper
Dr. Stephen Strange is a brilliant surgeon, but he’s also selfish and arrogant. After a car accident screws up his hands he turns to magic hoping for way to recover his old skills, but as a student of the Ancient One he is forced to choose sides against the evil Mordo. Strange races to find three powerful rings and discovers his true destiny as a master of the mystic arts.

These Season One books are obviously not trying to rewrite the history of Marvel’s characters or put a new spin on them like
Josu Grilli
En esta nueva versión para principiantes de Doctor Extraño (y básicamente, una manera de introducirte la historia de la película), me ha resultado algo... fría.

Es una historia que podría haber dado mucho más de sí, pero es repetitiva y algo simple. El dibujo en muchas ocasiones era confuso y en líneas generales, también se repetía. He sentido que no he llegado a conocer a los personajes y que la trama iba demasiado deprisa, pero ha sido más que interesante el mundo de la magia presentado y sobre
Sam Quixote
By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, has Greg Pak ever written a decent comic?!

Even though Doctor Strange’s origins seem to be covered in every Doctor Strange book, Pak goes over it again (because this is a Marvel Season One comic? Is this series aimed at new readers?). Stephen Strange was once a world-famous surgeon whose hands got maimed in an accident. He goes searching for magic healers in the Himalayas, ends up learning magic and, by the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, becomes the Earth’s Sorcerer Suprem
Terence
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Doctor Stephen Strange seeks out the Ancient One for the magic to heal his hands.
description
After speaking to the Ancient One and an encounter with Baron Mordo, Stephen decides to stay and train. After learning of magical rings Stephen and Wong head out to secure them with the help of a young woman.

Dr. Strange Season One seems like a different Dr. Strange story. Clearly the story is being reinvisioned, but I'm not familiar enough with his original story to know how much is different or the same. The bigges
Sud666
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I am a huge Dr. Strange fan. So while I didn't see a need for yet ANOTHER origin story I figured "hey..it's Greg Pak", so I bought it. Well Pak should stick to the Hulk. This should have been called "Pedestrian Origin" instead because it is pedestrian.

Pak's Strange just doesn't do it for me. For some reason his Wong is a Bruce Lee style mage. His Ancient One goes from being a somber font of mystical power and knowledge to a cackling old fool (who of course is smarter than he seems). His Dr. Stra
Bradley
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is more of a 3.5, but I'm nothing if not generous.
I enjoyed the art, and having never read any of the Strange comics before, was fascinated by the origin and wondering how it'd play out in an upcoming movie we're all interested in.

So, one part selfish, two parts willing, and another part destiny. Does that make the character fairly convincing? Possibly. I'm probably going to need to read a lot more, probably version 3, before I can make a convincing judgement as to whether I like him.

Rory Wilding
The fact that there are so many superhero stories from films, television, etc. it does seem pointless to do origin stories in this current age where we know how Superman, Batman and Spider-Man came to be. However, there are plenty of new characters that audiences won’t be as familiar with, such as Stan Lee and Steve Ditko’s Doctor Strange whose cinematic debut is not far away, so what better way than to read a comic that shows how Stephen Strange became Master of Mystic Arts.

If you don’t know wh
Nicolo Yu
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital-comics
The Doctor Strange: Season One graphic novel is one of two Season One books that stood out for me, X-Men: Season One being the other one. Greg Pak has made the young Stephen Strange a lot more callow but with still the inner goodness that the Ancient One found redeeming. Pak gave it an Indiana Jones flavor of adventure with the globe-trotting and artifact-chasing. He also adds a wrinkle to the Strange-Wong dynamic than comic readers take for granted. Before he became the mellow and trusted butle ...more
Sesana
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
An ok story, partly salvaged by some spectacular art. If you're just looking for a basic origin story for Doctor Strange, there's probably worse ways to get it. I suppose it's possible that the upcoming movie would take some cues from this glorified fetch quest, but hopefully not too many.
Arun Divakar
A lot of the rage in the 80’s and 90’s were around the so called ‘bromance’ movies. The plot line would be a much rehashed one : two unlikely men find themselves at odds, they sometimes fall in love with the same women (or two women who get along well in spite of the men), the sudden appearance of an antagonist who threatens both men, they team up, wham ! bam ! boom ! villain dead and happily ever after. Think of movies like : The Presidio, The Rock, Tequila Sunrise, Lethal Weapon and you get th ...more
Aaron
A revised origin story from 2012 for Marvel Comics' Sorcerer Supreme, Doctor Stephen Strange. After surviving a car crash and having his hands shattered, arrogant neurosurgeon Dr. Strange goes in search of a unique kind of alternative medicine. The Ancient One, a master of mystic arts, trains Stephen Strange (who has intelligence but no talent for magic), and pairs him with the powerful Wong (who has raw talent but no patience for book learning); they learn to get along as they seek out three ar ...more
Donovan

Greg Pak isn't my favorite writer.
And this didn't change my mind.

Doc Strange in a buddy quest fantasy with jerk-version Wong and Sofia the stock female character / archaeologist that gets into supernatural hijinks. It's not bad, it's just okay. What it lacks is wit, realistic dialog, and action that isn't featured in Big Trouble in Little China.

If this was a movie you could play a drinking game with all the AAAAGH-ing, Ow-ing, and SKRAKAKOOMs. What the hell does that even sound like, really?

T
J.M. Hushour
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, this is some goddamn good Doctor Strange right here. Strange has always been a Marvel misfit, floating between groups and periodically getting solo runs. He's a great character, a sort of more believable Tony Stark--a brilliant surgeon who also happens to be a gigantic asshole. When his hands get injured in a car accident, he goes to great lengths to heal them, else his career is ruined and he is, basically, worthless. Because he's a dick. As a last resort, he ends up in the Himalayas where ...more
Gianfranco Mancini
2,5 stars

A more than decent retelling of Dr Strange's origin story, and Wong as a rival turning friend later was a nice touch, but the manga-style like art was really not much my cup of tea.

Laura L
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this retelling of the beginning of Doctor Strange's story, and I love Emma Rios' art style it seems part psychodellic and part expressionist.
Maarit
The first story about Dr. Stranges origin was OK, though I enjoyed the art of it very much as it was interesting and full of details. The second story (or more like a teaser of it) wasn't that promising and I also disliked the art, so I doubt I will read it wholy if I happen to see the rest of it somewhere. This was probably translated into Finnish because of the upcoming movie, but still, good that it was done.
Stabbing
Nice telling of the Doctor Strange origin. I liked the art but it probably would have been better for me with just a tad more color variation. Some of the images were sort of hard to make out without just staring at it and staring at it because the colors were so close together. Like those images they use to test for color blindness.
Renata
May 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was...disappointing. I really like Greg Pak and I GUESS I LIKE DOCTOR STRANGE NOW but this was not really my jam on any level. Also, the artwork made it really confusing what was supposed to be actually happening and what was maybe a magic illusion or something?! I know the Season 1 series was supposed to be kind of a good entry point for new fans but this one didn't land for me. Also honestly I know it's his origin story and character growth etc but he AND WONG were both super unlikeable f ...more
Sonic
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Well this was the second time this month that I was very surprised by Greg Pak (author of many forgettable books.)
Yet once again I cannot help but assume that it was a very talented illustrator that made his book enjoyable.
Emma Rios is her name, and her unconventional depictions of magic, containing force and power are fairly revolutionary in the comics world of the mystic arts!
I have never seen anything like it!
Her depictions of magic spells are confusing, frightening and amazing!
There is a wi
Jennavier
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was fun. Maybe a little predictable, but otherwise the art was good and the character interaction was interesting. I'm not sure if I got the bad guy or not-he seems to be the one size fits all sort.
Anthony
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital
Average story helped a lot by Emma Rios on art. Some stunning stuff here. Its also easier to follow compared to some of her other work.
Katie
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my cup of tea methinks. I'm also still confused about his character.
Wing Kee
Really trippy art and a really somewhat trippy story.

I'm relatively new to Strange, being a DC reader, but he does come off as very much Constantine/Doctor Fate like and that's a good thing. So far the books have been okay but nothing to blow my mind, how does this one rate?

World: Emma Rios' art is amazing, I loved her stuff since Pretty Deadly. It's very distinct and has a very 1970s comic book art quality to it, it does have it's minor irks (like a lack of contrast from background to foregroun
Samantha
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
Doctor Strange: Season One was my first exposure to Doctor Strange. So, I went into this knowing next to nothing of the character. I picked it up primarily because it’s written by Greg Pak (X-Treme X-Men, Vol. 1: Xavier Must Die!) and illustrated by Emma Rios (Pretty Deadly, Vol. 1: The Shrike).

Doctor Strange: Season One is an origin story and, in all honesty, a pretty cliched one. Stephen Strange was a gifted surgeon until a car accident crushed his hands, leaving him incapable of operating. In
Andy
Nov 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, graphic-novels
I've really grown tired of the whole "Season One" reboot concept from both Marvel and DC, but since I'm a Doctor Strange fan, I thought I would give this one a try.

The first half of the book, a retelling of the Doctor Strange origin story, is quite good, showing that Stephen Strange's transformation from the arrogant, yet brilliant surgeon to master of the mystic arts was neither immediate nor easy. Rios' art works well in these early pages, managing to do something quite difficult: to convey t
John
Nov 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been aware of Doctor Strange's origin story, but I don't think I've ever read it in comic form before, so I can't really compare this update to its predecessors. I can evaluate it on its own merits, and it's a pretty good story. The writing is clever, and the story works overall. It's difficult to take a character through an arc from completely selfish to an altruistic crusader over roughly 50 odd pages of comic, but the writer does a decent job of it. The art was not as much to my taste, b ...more
Sarah Hayes
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc-marvel
It was amazingly fast paced but I loved it. Doctor Strange is one of the few Marvel superheroes that I would read their origin story over and over again. Stephen and Wong and Sofia made a great team, and I really enjoyed reading how Strange comes into his powers. The art style took a bit to get used to, but I ended up liking it; it really fit with the story.

And at the end of the main story, when you see Doctor Strange in his superhero uniform for the first time? I may have squealed aloud at lik

• Strange: The Doctor Is Out!
  • Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment
  • All-New Ghost Rider, Vol. 1: Engines of Vengeance
  • X-Factor, Vol. 3: Many Lives of Madrox
  • All-New Wolverine, Volume 1: The Four Sisters
  • Captain America & Bucky: The Life Story of Bucky Barnes
Greg Pak is an award-winning Korean American comic book writer and filmmaker currently writing "Mech Cadet Yu" for BOOM and “Totally Awesome Hulk" and "Weapon X" for Marvel Comics. Pak wrote the "Princess Who Saved Herself" children's book and the “Code Monkey Save World” graphic novel based on the songs of Jonathan Coulton and co-wrote (with Fred Van Lente) the acclaimed “Make Comics Like the Pro ...more

Marvel Season One (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • X-Men: Season One