Start by marking “Gloria Steinem: The Kindle Singles Interview (Kindle Single)” as Want to Read:
Gloria Steinem: The Kindle Singles Interview (Kindle Single)

Gloria Steinem: The Kindle Singles Interview (Kindle Single)

In this conversation, Gloria Steinem — the 79-year-old activist, author and 2013 recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom — reflects on her personal life growing up in Toledo, Ohio, and her political awakening during the most radical decade of the 20th century, while discussing the obstacles and opportunities that continue to shape the lives of American families ...more
Published November 16th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Gloria Steinem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gloria Steinem

Start your review of Gloria Steinem: The Kindle Singles Interview (Kindle Single)
Michelle
I think it's very interesting that I highlighted the same quote that another reviewer highlighted...

"The art of behaving effectively is behaving as if everything you do matters....If we can remember that the means are the ends, we can try to use the means that most reflect the ends we want, little by little, we're much more likely to get there."

I was not as familiar with Gloria Steinem so I really appreciated reading this Kindle Single to become more acquainted with her. I think the interviewer
Allison Hiltz
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gloria Steinem is a feminist. I am feminist. Therefore, I should know everything about Gloria Steinem, right? In reality, I don’t know enough about her. I know how important she is and the overarching things she has achieved, but when it comes to her personal life, I am mostly unaware. Although this Kindle Single is less than 40 pages, I feel like I understand her a bit more having read it and am eager to read a more in-depth biography of her and her achievements.

Gloria Steinem: The Kindle
Janet Town
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, Gloria.

Or, "still learning after all these years." I grew up just a few years behind Ms. Steinem. She was a role model that put me on a path that reinforced the role models I had from an early age including my grandmother, great-aunts and aunts. My father "backed them up" by crediting them as his first teachers. Ms Steinem showed us by example how to navigate the "outside"world. This short 'conversation' has reaffirmed many feelings and given me some new and more concise ways of
Sheryl
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Easy conversation with Ms Steinem highlighting her thoughts on past decisions and historical events. As well as a glimpse into the now and future. There are some important points she makes which make this short book very worthwhile.

I love her comment on laughter.

One gem.
Julie Ehlers
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
It's always interesting to hear what Gloria Steinem has to say, but I was unimpressed with the interviewer--I thought most of the questions, and the general tone, were pretty silly. This also reads as if it were transcribed and then published as is, without any sort of proofreading or copy editing. And, as usual on the Kindle, the formatting, or lack thereof, was annoying. Ms. Steinem's words of wisdom were valuable as ever, but this was not exactly a stellar reading experience overall. A missed ...more
Shannon
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminists-rock
The journalist does a great job at posing questions, getting Gloria to open up and directing the flow of the interview. It's a great little piece to read with some words of wisdom to highlight.
Judith Palinkas
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Our daughters should know

wish I had read this as a younger woman, yet I can begin to use and share it starting now y
Lisa Bentley
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Having read Gloria Steinem’s biography and a few pieces that she had written for Ms Magazine I was pleasantly surprised with Salamishah Tillet’s interview with Gloria Steinem.

You see, you get the sense (and rightly so) that in the pieces produced by Steinem that whilst she has no qualms with honesty and baring her soul that she controls the narrative. It was interesting to see her exposed in such a way that wasn’t critical but was led by another party.

We get to see Steinem under the microscope
Greg
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really love the authenticity in these reflections. This work is hard, as current events remind us, and today everyone has an opinion on social media. I'm struck by how quick we are to pigeon-hole people, call them part of the problem unless they are approaching the solution the way you want them to. The piece about the fear of being misunderstood really rang true for me in thinking about the current state of our discourse and activism.
Amara
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hashtag-feminism
I always end up feeling like I've been down in a dark basement and there's all that reality there, and now I'm out in the sunshine trying to explain to the people in the sunshine what's going on in the basement. It isn't that the people in the sunshine are bad people, but they haven't been in the basement.
Megan
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Insightful & Thoughtful Interview.

Insightful on a wide range of topics, including parenting, violence, race, popular culture, and how gendered views negatively impact men & women alike. Many passages worth highlighting.
Maria Freeman
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-have-read, xyz
Quite a few grammar issues
Camilla
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it

This was a great little interview. The questions were more based around Steinem's life than her viewpoints, which works well; she's able to express her viewpoints through her life, which I knew little about. The interviewer was mostly a guide, as a good interviewer should be, and Steinem spoke freely and very well. The book was only 99 cents, and I feel like it would have been worth it even at a little more.

Laura Fingal-Surma
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminism, non-fiction
Good but not great.
Danielle
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great short interview

This is an Interesting view on many points in Steinem life. Easy and quick read. Touches on many different topics.
Patricia Tennesen
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm not sure I realized this was only an interview put into kindle form. Informative? yes, but not the in depth life story I was expecting. I will need to get Gloria's own bio.
Valerie Gangas
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Short. Powerful. Totally insightful. I couldn't put it down.
Alyssia
Nov 14, 2014
Jabberwocky
Dec 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• In Praise of Women's Bodies (Singles Classic)
“I would say the most heartening, important things are, for one, we know we're not crazy. There are of women and men around the globe who know that the way female human beings are treated is neither just nor inevitable — and that it can be changed.” 1 likes
“Before that, I think what happened to me, and I suspect may happen to a lot of women, is that I identified with other outsiders without understanding why. Why was I going to work for the farm workers? It didn't make a lot of sense. But I identified with the groups or individuals — human beings — that I was not supposed to identify with.  I didn't understand that there was a reason why we females identify with a certain feeling of powerlessness. ” 1 likes