Start by marking “Union And Communion or Thoughts on the Song of Solomon” as Want to Read:
Union And Communion or Thoughts on the Song of Solomon

Union And Communion or Thoughts on the Song of Solomon

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published May 16th 2012 (first published June 1971)

Be the first to ask a question about Union And Communion or Thoughts on the Song of Solomon

Naísia
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"The Incarnate Word is the true key to the written Word;”(p.4)

Excelente, edificante, irretocável: Estudo de Hudson Taylor sobre o "Cântico dos Cânticos".
Taylor se preocupou apenas em escrever da maneira mais simples e mais direta, quase como uma conversa, porém, devido ao assunto, sua prosa acabou saindo também muito bonita.

A propósito, ele foi um grande missionário do Século XIX, que levou o Evangelho à China.
__
Anna Sojourning
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Quite honestly, I'm not sure what to think of this book. It's beautifully and passionately written, and forms a thoughtful allegory from the love poetry of Song of Solomon. There is very little material which has been written on Song of Solomon, and there's been a great deal of confusion and controversy surrounding this book of the Bible, so I appreciate Mr. Taylor for tackling it.

After the first few chapters I feel Mr. Taylor begins to overinterpret the scripture and finds a continuous story in
Jeremy Utley
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent companion to the Song of Solomon. There are many things that blessed me, but the simple idea that I have taken away is that it is when the bride (an individual Christian) is occupied with the Bridegroom (the Lord Jesus) that He finds in her everything to admire and adore. Simple thought, but really gave me a longing to adore Him rightly, and to seek His pleasure in my life.
JD Chambers
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it really insightful that the Song of Songs is treated as an exposition on the command to "abide in the vine." Often in reading that command we ask, "What does that look like?" And Union and Communion gives language to answer the question.
Chris
This is a surprisingly mystical work from the founder of the China Inland Mission. I found it passionately written. Taylor takes a look at the Song of Solomon through the eyes of a Christian Mystic. He identifies with the bride enraptured in her bridegroom, sick with love. In her he finds the dramatic experience of the believer, at one time caught up in union with Christ, at another feeling the pain of separation because of her own heart "prone to wander."

Taylor also betrays a glimpse of his ow
Kevin King
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: song-of-solomon
I actually finished reading this sometime last year, and had intended to write a detailed review. But I was so busy at the time that it didn't happen. Having read several other books on this subject over this same period I now find it difficult to comment on specific points without risking confusion with observations made by other writers.

But this book is rightly considered a Christian classic; and of all the books I have read on the Song of Songs, this is my favourite. Although briefer than mos
Kyle Horton
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intimacy and Communion with God - allegorical interpretation, but encouraging! - FREE on Kindle

"The real secret of an unsatisfied life lies too often in an unsurrendered will. And yet how foolish, as well as how wrong, this is! Do we fancy that we are wiser than He? or that our love for ourselves is more tender and strong than His? or that we know ourselves better than He does?"

Taylor, James Hudson (2012-05-16). Union And Communion or Thoughts on the Song of Solomon (p. 4). . Kindle Edition.
Tommy Grooms
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thus far I had only ever read Song of Solomon as love poetry. I knew it could be read in an allegorical fashion but I had not taken the time to find a resource that did so. This was a short, clear, convincing reading of the interactions between Bride and Bridegroom as relating to falling out of and in communion with God. Easy to understand, though be ready for lots of Scripture quotations without citations from elsewhere in the Bible.
Larry Babcock
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book did a great job of paralleling Song of Solomon with that of Jesus's relationship with the believer.
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, faith
Spring 2017 - Not fully in agreement with everything in the book, but found it both insightful and thought-provoking
Book on book of the Bible
Book more than 100 years old
Jt
devotional on song of solomon
David
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little book gives us a wonderful glimpse into the intimacy of Hudson Taylor's communion with God.
Lisa
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the season of my life in which I read this book, learning how to rest in Christ's love, learning how He loved me.
Mari
Aug 09, 2014
Mason Mansfield
Mar 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
James Hudson Taylor was a British Protestant Christian missionary to China, and founder of the China Inland Mission (CIM) (now OMF International). Taylor spent 51 years in China. The society that he began was responsible for bringing over 800 missionaries to the country who began 125 schools and directly resulted in 18,000 Christian conversions, as well as the establishment of more than 300 statio ...more
More about James Hudson Taylor
“The real secret of an unsatisfied life lies too often in an unsurrendered will.” 5 likes
“She would fain claim him fully, without giving up herself fully to him; but it can never be: while she retains her own name, she can never claim his. She may not promise to love and honour if she will not also promise to obey: and till her love reaches that point of surrender she must remain an unsatisfied lover—she cannot, as a satisfied bride, find rest in the home of her husband. While she retains her own will, and the control of her own possessions, she must be content to live on her own resources; she cannot claim his.” 4 likes