Start by marking “The Hockey Sweater and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Hockey Sweater and Other Stories

The Hockey Sweater and Other Stories

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The Hockey Sweater, the title story in this 20-story collection, has become an enduring classic: a Quebec boy and Habs fan is shipped a Toronto Maple Leafs sweater by mistake. It encapsulates everything you need to understand French and English Canada, told with humour and love.
Published November 1st 1979 by House of Anansi Press

To ask other readers questions about The Hockey Sweater and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hockey Sweater and Other Stories

James
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I often times find it difficult to really rave about a set of short stories. It's not that I don't respect the writers or the medium, I just have little tolerance for the "Aha!" moment which most short stories seem to strive for. Within the last lines of nearly every short story these days, there is the tangible effort by the author to say, "See? See how clever I am? The pencil sharpener isn't a pencil sharpener, it's the little girl's need for a father! Praise be unto me for this unexpected end ...more
bookreader
The wry genius of the classic title story suffuses the whole of this slender volume.
David
Twenty stories about the author's childhood in rural Quebec around the time of the Second World War, most of just four or five pages in length, that read almost like parables. Taken individually they felt a bit slight, but there is a cumulative effect when read all together. Hard to fault them, but while the themes seem universal, maybe you need to be Canadian (or French Canadian?) to understand quite why the collection, and in particular the title story (about a Montreal Canadiens fan who is se ...more
Brad Czepiel
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great stories/essays about growing up in rural Canada, where hockey, church, and family undergird life - but plenty of moral and physical mysteries/discoveries inspire our young narrator, who now looks back on those days. Fun, fast, and substantial.
Nathalie Gagnon
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This author was my french writing teacher at RMC so I'm a bit biased towards liking him since I enjoyed his class so much !!!! Nevertheless, the stories are very good and the Hockey Sweater is just pure genius, and so very true to the Québec I grew up in...
SixBeforeLunch
I enjoyed this a lot. The stories are very short, but powerfully written. I only wish I'd been able to read it in the original French instead of translated. I always feel like I'm losing a part of the experience when I read translated literature.
Dorothy
I had always heard of the "Hockey Sweater" story and as a Montreal Canadians fan, I felt his pain. I had never read any of Roch Carrier's other works. I totally enjoy him and now am working my way through 4 more books by him, translated by Sheila Fischman. A wonderful author - I love his humour.
Mike
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
enjoyed this more and more as I read. Heartwarming would be my key word for this book.
Nosnah
Dec 08, 2013
Dani Janisch
Feb 02, 2012
Katrina Sark
rated it did not like it
Feb 13, 2015
Flint Boettcher
Jan 14, 2014
Lesley
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Short stories, fun read, despite him being a Habs fan.
Valerie
Mar 06, 2012
Yrinsyde
Feb 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Roch Carrier, OC is a Canadian novelist, playwright and author of "contes" (a very brief form of the short story). He is among the best known Quebec writers in English Canada.

From 1994 to 1997, he served as head of the Canada Council. In 1998, he ran as an electoral candidate for the Quebec Liberal Party under Jean Charest, in the riding of Crémazie. He was defeated by 309 votes.

In 1991, he was ma
More about Roch Carrier...